GM News: NHTSA Opens An Investigation Into GM's Ignition Recall Timing

Yesterday, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced they would open a formal investigation into the timeliness of GM's ignition switch recall. The recall affects over 1.6 million vehicles which are,

• 2005-07 Chevrolet Cobalt
  • 2006-07 Chevrolet HHR
  • 2005-07 Pontiac G5
  • 2006-07 Pontiac Solstice
  • 2003-07 Saturn Ion
  • 2006-07 Saturn Sky

In a statement, NHTSA says “opened an investigation into the timeliness of General Motors’ recall of faulty ignition switches to determine whether GM properly followed the legal processes and requirements for reporting recalls.”

This investigation could cost GM dearly. The Detroit News reports NHTSA could issue a maximum fine of $35 million if it failed to recall the vehicles because of a safety defect within five days. Documents filed by GM to federal regulators this week say they knew about the problem back in 2004 as the 2005 Cobalt was hitting dealerships.

"We deeply regret the events that led to the recall and this investigation. We intend to fully cooperate with NHTSA, and we welcome the opportunity to help the agency have a full understanding of the facts. Today’s GM is committed to learning from the past while embracing the highest standards now and in the future," said GM in a statement.

The Detroit News also reports that GM has hired an law firm to conduct a full review. The review will look at the decisions made by GM concerning their handling of this problem.

Source: The Detroit News, (2)

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

I like what I read, I think GM is serious about not doing what the Old GM did before. I think they will take care of this issue and make it right.

You mean take care of the problem that they first became apparently aware of 10 years ago?

Yes, I think mgmt will take care of this properly. I have to believe that the new mgmt realizes that they cannot run GM like the old GM and survive in todays 21st century market place.

I like what I read, I think GM is serious about not doing what the Old GM did before. I think they will take care of this issue and make it right.

You mean take care of the problem that they first became apparently aware of 10 years ago?

Yes, I think mgmt will take care of this properly. I have to believe that the new mgmt realizes that they cannot run GM like the old GM and survive in todays 21st century market place.

"Old GM" was over 3 years ago.

Dodge would never do anything of the sort right?