Mercedez Benz News Rumorpile: An Electric S-Class?

Mercedes-Benz is in the process of bringing out the new S-Class Coupe and working on a S-Class Plug-In Hybrid. But is there room for a pure electric S-Class? According to Dr Uwe Ernstberger, the head of Mercedes-Benz's large cars, it could happen.

Ernstberger told Top Gear that a fully electric S-Class isn't a good fit for the time being, "a complete electric car will be done in the future."

The big hurdle for this? The batteries.

"We have to work on the capacities of the batteries to get a better package in the car. Because you do not want to lose all the comfort features of an S-Class for transporting a battery only," Ernstberger said.

For now, those who want a bit of green in the S-Class will have to wait for the plug-in model, due out next year.

Source: Top Gear

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Pure electrics aren't very good, with the exception of the Tesla Model S which is still pretty limited by batteries. I think Mercedes is right to do the plug-in, and they have diesel models also, those are the best ways to get good efficiency for now. Perhaps 10 years from now when battery technology is better they will do a pure electric.

• Agree 1

Really, Electric? I doubt any Rich person who can truly afford the S class cares about the pure electric version. If they do care that much, they have already gone with a Priuse.

• Agree 1

Really, Electric? I doubt any Rich person who can truly afford the S class cares about the pure electric version. If they do care that much, they have already gone with a Priuse.

Then sell it on its performance merits. It can be the quietest, smoothest, and quickest S-class ever. Put a Model S P85 motor in each of the axles and call it a day.

The electric SLS AMG has 737 HP, so if they use that set up they would have the speed but the range would be lousy and the car would be crazy expensive. It isn't a good idea now but in the 2020-2025 time frame if batteries improve I can see them doing it.

I really do not expect battery life to improve much for the next 20 years. Lots of research but the over all costs kill it for some of the new battery tech. They will find a way but not in the next 10+ years so that battery could truly replace the gas powered auto.

The electric SLS AMG has 737 HP, so if they use that set up they would have the speed but the range would be lousy and the car would be crazy expensive. It isn't a good idea now but in the 2020-2025 time frame if batteries improve I can see them doing it.

Have you priced an S65 AMG recently? The previous-gen car started at $212,000. You could buy an S550 and two Model S's for the same price.

According to the EPA, the S65 AMG has a 333-mile range combined. A hypothetical S74 AMG Electric Drive with a 120 kWh battery would have at least a 400-mile range.

• 10 months later...