Chevrolet News:Chevy Trax to Start at $20,995; Launch January 2015

Drew Dowdell

Chevrolet's littlest crossover, the Chevy Trax will launch in January 2015 with a base price of $20,995. Front-wheel-drive is standard and all-wheel-drive will be a $1,500 stand alone option on all trim levels.

The Trax shares its platform with the already on sale Buick Encore and will likely share that vehicle's 5-star front and side crash test ratings.

The only engine offered is the familiar 1.4 litre turbo unit producing 138 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque and EPA rated for 26 mpg city and 34mpg highway in front wheel drive models. EPA estimated fuel economy for the AWD model was not officially announced, but we expect it to be about the same or slightly better as the Buick Encore AWD which rings in at 23/30 city/highway.

Notable features include Chevy's MyLink, 10 airbags, Onstar 4G-LTE onboard wifi, and Siri Eyes Free connectivity.

The Trax has already been on sale in other global markets outside of the US with over 155,000 sales to date.

GM Press Release on Page 2

DETROIT – Chevrolet announced today that its newest U.S. model, the Trax, will start at $20,995.

Offering compact-car maneuverability with SUV style, space and versatility, the Trax will come equipped with a standard 1.4L turbocharged engine providing an EPA estimated 26 city and 34 highway mpg, 10 air bags, MyLink infotainment with a seven-inch touch screen, rearview camera, remote keyless entry and a 60/40-split fold-flat rear seat and fold-down front passenger seat offering more than 48 cubic feet of cargo space.

Additional features offered include a $1,500 all-wheel-drive option – available on all trim levels – making Trax the most affordable AWD model in the Chevrolet portfolio; remote start and segment-exclusive OnStar 4G LTE with built-in Wi-Fi hotspot. Trax will also be the first in its class to offer Siri Eyes Free connectivity for compatible iPhone users.

The Trax is Chevrolet’s seventh small vehicle launch in four years. During that time, the brand’s share of the small-, compact- and mini-car segments has more than tripled.

“Trax is positioned to be a strong competitor in the emerging small-SUV market, which is expected to grow more than 80 percent in the next few years,” said Steve Majoros, Chevrolet director of car marketing.

The Trax, which goes on sale in January 2015, will be available in LS, LT and LTZ trim levels. It is already sold in 66 markets around the world with total sales of 155,000 to date.

Editors’ Note: Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price includes destination freight charge but excludes tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment. Excludes other General Motors’ vehicles.

View full article

Sweet little buggy.  A bit conservative compared to some of the other players in the segment... Juke especially, HR-V a little bit.  I think it will sell very well though.

Conservative sells though... Chevy has a chance to corner the market on people who don't like the weird looking Juke.

There is also a material difference in interior room inside the Trax compared to the Juke.  When the front seat is adjusted for me, I can sit in the rear seat of the Trax.... not so with the Juke. 

These are nice sized SUV's - Really prefer the Encore, tho, it's very sharp. Wish Chevy would do away with that grill treatment. I am sure they will sell a bunch of them due to the price & size. I believe these are built on Gamma II

Yes, they are Sonic related. 

Clearly I'm a fan... we've been very happy with our Encore.   My only wish (for the Buick) is that they could offer a bump in horsepower.  The 1.6T from Europe with 200 horsepower would be just about right.

Edit, or the 1.7 diesel they offer in the Mokka.

Diesel would be awesome, Put in the 2.9L Duramax Diesel and let the Buggers Fly!

Would never fit.   I've been told that even the 2.0T is too big.  

The 1.7 diesel is probably near the top displacement they could get in there from the current available engines.  Anything more and they'd need to get fancy with cylinder counts (really big 3 cylinder) or go to a V4 arrangement. 

the Trax will sell a bunch.  I saw a couple when i visited the rents up near the Canadian parts a few months ago.  They look great if a little cheap inside.  

People more and more want crossovers.  They want taller, easier to get in and out of, etc.  This will fit the bill and still make a great commuter.

I remember my selling days, having to sell SX4's.  Can't tell ya how many times more folks would buy a vehicle like that if at the time the Chevy's of the world were making them.  Trax is perfect at this time, if a tiny bit over priced.  The AWD in a small package will be a big draw in these parts.

BTW, people are asking insane prices for used AWD SX4's these days.  Proof to me that there are people looking for the small AWD cars.

• Upvote 1

I think this is a product that Chevy needs, but it is priced about $5k over the Kia Soul base.  And the Soul +! or whatever it is has a 164 hp 2 liter, and may add a turbo or awd soon.    I think the Soul looks better too.  Chevy may be a bit optimistic on pricing, put some options on a Trax and you are probably at $25k.

Yup, the UPS Brown is sharp as heck too, but I am shy on dark colors after owning my second black vehicle (my first being my '83 S-10) and swearing off black/dark colors, because they show every mark.

Brown/brown, quite dapper.

I worry about pricing, sice base Escapes sell for under 20g new.

But the package here is the appeal. Imagine granny living in a condo with indoor parking and small spaces. (Exactly what my parents have). Cars like this for older folks to park in those 8 foot stalls between columns and still have high seating.

Drew is nail on the head. Everything's gone up so much in 4 years. Soul aside this may be among the cheapest of cars we see going forward.

• 4 weeks later...

Based on the one they had to look at in Seattle, These will sell like hotcakes. I actually expect them to sell out of AWD for the price point.

post-12-0-44528000-1414709084_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-37556200-1414709087_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-83885200-1414709089_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-09253800-1414709093_thumb.jpg

I love the color, but based on the web site and will take this in moca brown with the Brownstone interior.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By David
      Lots of interesting stuff happening as GM by divisions starts to release more info on their EV programs.
      First is a interesting video on their Ultium batteries. This clearly shows how versatile they can build the battery packs.
      https://plants.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/bcportal.html/currentVideoId/6157651202001/currentChannelId/Most Recent.gsaOff.html
      Multiple-cell-configurations-within-Ultium-modules.mp4

They have released a video of a side profile of the new Chevrolet Bolt morphing into the Bolt EUV. I was able to download the video and as such, way more visual detail than on the posted web sites below are showing.
      https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.html
      chevrolet-bolt-euv-teaser-1598391287.mp4
      https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33799068/chevy-2022-bolt-bolt-euv-tease/
      https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/26/2022-chevy-bolt-euv-teaser-video/
      https://www.carscoops.com/2020/08/chevrolet-teases-2022-bolt-euv-and-ev-confirms-super-cruise-for-electric-suv/
      https://insideevs.com/news/440899/chevrolet-bolt-euv-production-summer-2021/

Have to say the upcoming update to the Chevrolet Bolt and the EUV is nice looking and should sell even better than the old Bolt. Truly a much more CUV look.
    • By William Maley
      Nearly two years ago, I drove the then all-new Hyundai Kona crossover at a press event. It was a unique looking vehicle that was entering the growing subcompact crossover class. Out of the three Hyundai vehicles I drove, the Kona impressed me most with its performance and value for money. But if there is something I have learned over eight years with reviewing vehicles, is that I can’t take first impressions as final. It has been a long wait, but I finally got my hands on a 2020 Kona Ultimate AWD. Let’s see if my first impression can still hold up.
      The Outer Limits (of Exterior Design)
      You may be forgiven for thinking that the Kona has just arrived in a UFO from Planet Nine due to its shape. But Hyundai knew they needed to make a splash in what is becoming a very competitive class. Designers took some influence from the Jeep Cherokee with a rounded front end and the front lights being separated into daytime lights and headlights. Another design trait is the slit that sits between the grille and hood cutline. Finishing off the look is body cladding running along the lower edge and a bright green paint color only available on the turbo engine models. It may seem like an odd mashup of ideas, but it works surprisingly well.
      A Conventional Interior
      Some will be disappointed that Hyundai didn’t continue the wacky design for the Kona’s interior. But having an interior that is user friendly will always pull ahead of interesting design. That isn’t to say Hyundai hasn’t added some special touches such as vent surrounds and seat stitching matching the exterior color. Hard plastics are used throughout, but they don’t feel hollow or cheap when you run your hand across.
      There is a fair amount of space for those sitting upfront. Comfort is ok for short trips, but I found myself wanting more thigh support on longer trips. In the back, there is a large amount of headroom for most passengers. Legroom is a different story as tall people will find their knees pressed against the front seats. Cargo space is another area where the Kona is lacking. With the rear seats up, the Kona’s cargo area measures 19.2 cubic feet - about 0.1 cubic feet more than the Toyota C-HR. Fold them down and space increases to 45.8. This trails the likes of the Chevrolet Trax, Nissan Kicks, and Honda HR-V.
      The One To Still Be Beaten (Infotainment-wise)
      The Kona Ultimate comes equipped with an eight-inch touchscreen featuring Hyundai’s infotainment system. This system has consistently been one of my favorites as Hyundai nails the basics - simple interface, blazing-fast performance, and having features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. My only complaint is that the design is starting to look dated when compared to other automakers and their updated infotainment. 
      Turbo Power!
      Two powertrains are available in the Kona. SE, SEL, and SEL Plus use the 2.0L four-cylinder offering 147 horsepower and 132 pound-feet of torque. It’s paired with a six-speed automatic. Limited and Ultimate come with the turbocharged 1.6L four producing 175 horsepower and 195 pound-feet. This is paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. Front or all-wheel drive is available for either engine.
      Zippy is the word to describe the performance of the turbo engine. The Kona easily accelerates away from a stop and has no issue with passing a slower vehicle. The dual-clutch transmission seems to stumble when leaving a stop, but does get itself together at higher speeds. I also found the transmission is slow to react when your floor the throttle, taking a few milliseconds to downshift.
      EPA fuel economy figures for the 1.6T with AWD are 26 City/29 Highway/27 Combined. My average for the week landed around 26.7 mpg, mostly due to cold weather during the week I had the Kona.
      Woah, This Crossover Handles
      If you wanted a subcompact crossover that handled decently, your choices were either the Mazda CX-3 or Toyota C-HR. The Kona enters the ring as the third choice, and possibly the best. On the backroads, the Kona feels quite agile and has almost no body roll. If I was to nitpick, the steering doesn’t have as much feel as you’ll find in the CX-3. But it feels noticeably better than the C-HR. Ride quality is impressive with most bumps being isolated from passengers sitting inside. Not too much wind and road noise come inside.
      Possibly the Best Subcompact Crossover At the Moment
      Hyundai has a very compelling package in the Kona. There is an excellent performance from the turbocharged engine, impressive driving dynamics, easy to use infotainment system, and a long list of standard equipment. There are some drawbacks with the small cargo area and rear legroom topping the list. If you need the space, a Honda HR-V would be my first pick. The dual-clutch transmission still needs a bit more work to iron out the hesitation issues I experienced. 
      That first impression I had still stands and moves the Kona not only being the best in the class at the moment, but also onto a very rarefied list; a vehicle I would considering buying.
      How I Would Configure A Kona: The only reason I see buying the Ultimate is for the adaptive cruise control as most of the other safety equipment such as blind spot monitoring, parking sensors, and forward collision avoidance are available on other models. So if I wanted the Turbo engine, then I would step down to the Limited at $26,100. For those who think that is a tad expensive still should consider the SEL Plus as it comes very well equipped for $23,950. You do sacrifice the turbo engine for the 2.0L four-cylinder which is fine if your planning to drive mostly around town. Add an additional $1,400 for all-wheel drive.
      Disclaimer: Hyundai Provided the Kona, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2020
      Make: Hyundai
      Model: Kona
      Trim: Ultimate
      Engine: 1.6L Turbocharged DOHC 16-Valve GDI Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Seven-Speed Dual-Clutch, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 175 @ 5,500
      Torque @ RPM: 195 @ 1,500 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/29/27
      Curb Weight: 3,276 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ulsan, South Korea
      Base Price: $29,150
      As Tested Price: $ 30,380 (Includes $1,095.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $135.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Nearly two years ago, I drove the then all-new Hyundai Kona crossover at a press event. It was a unique looking vehicle that was entering the growing subcompact crossover class. Out of the three Hyundai vehicles I drove, the Kona impressed me most with its performance and value for money. But if there is something I have learned over eight years with reviewing vehicles, is that I can’t take first impressions as final. It has been a long wait, but I finally got my hands on a 2020 Kona Ultimate AWD. Let’s see if my first impression can still hold up.
      The Outer Limits (of Exterior Design)
      You may be forgiven for thinking that the Kona has just arrived in a UFO from Planet Nine due to its shape. But Hyundai knew they needed to make a splash in what is becoming a very competitive class. Designers took some influence from the Jeep Cherokee with a rounded front end and the front lights being separated into daytime lights and headlights. Another design trait is the slit that sits between the grille and hood cutline. Finishing off the look is body cladding running along the lower edge and a bright green paint color only available on the turbo engine models. It may seem like an odd mashup of ideas, but it works surprisingly well.
      A Conventional Interior
      Some will be disappointed that Hyundai didn’t continue the wacky design for the Kona’s interior. But having an interior that is user friendly will always pull ahead of interesting design. That isn’t to say Hyundai hasn’t added some special touches such as vent surrounds and seat stitching matching the exterior color. Hard plastics are used throughout, but they don’t feel hollow or cheap when you run your hand across.
      There is a fair amount of space for those sitting upfront. Comfort is ok for short trips, but I found myself wanting more thigh support on longer trips. In the back, there is a large amount of headroom for most passengers. Legroom is a different story as tall people will find their knees pressed against the front seats. Cargo space is another area where the Kona is lacking. With the rear seats up, the Kona’s cargo area measures 19.2 cubic feet - about 0.1 cubic feet more than the Toyota C-HR. Fold them down and space increases to 45.8. This trails the likes of the Chevrolet Trax, Nissan Kicks, and Honda HR-V.
      The One To Still Be Beaten (Infotainment-wise)
      The Kona Ultimate comes equipped with an eight-inch touchscreen featuring Hyundai’s infotainment system. This system has consistently been one of my favorites as Hyundai nails the basics - simple interface, blazing-fast performance, and having features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. My only complaint is that the design is starting to look dated when compared to other automakers and their updated infotainment. 
      Turbo Power!
      Two powertrains are available in the Kona. SE, SEL, and SEL Plus use the 2.0L four-cylinder offering 147 horsepower and 132 pound-feet of torque. It’s paired with a six-speed automatic. Limited and Ultimate come with the turbocharged 1.6L four producing 175 horsepower and 195 pound-feet. This is paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. Front or all-wheel drive is available for either engine.
      Zippy is the word to describe the performance of the turbo engine. The Kona easily accelerates away from a stop and has no issue with passing a slower vehicle. The dual-clutch transmission seems to stumble when leaving a stop, but does get itself together at higher speeds. I also found the transmission is slow to react when your floor the throttle, taking a few milliseconds to downshift.
      EPA fuel economy figures for the 1.6T with AWD are 26 City/29 Highway/27 Combined. My average for the week landed around 26.7 mpg, mostly due to cold weather during the week I had the Kona.
      Woah, This Crossover Handles
      If you wanted a subcompact crossover that handled decently, your choices were either the Mazda CX-3 or Toyota C-HR. The Kona enters the ring as the third choice, and possibly the best. On the backroads, the Kona feels quite agile and has almost no body roll. If I was to nitpick, the steering doesn’t have as much feel as you’ll find in the CX-3. But it feels noticeably better than the C-HR. Ride quality is impressive with most bumps being isolated from passengers sitting inside. Not too much wind and road noise come inside.
      Possibly the Best Subcompact Crossover At the Moment
      Hyundai has a very compelling package in the Kona. There is an excellent performance from the turbocharged engine, impressive driving dynamics, easy to use infotainment system, and a long list of standard equipment. There are some drawbacks with the small cargo area and rear legroom topping the list. If you need the space, a Honda HR-V would be my first pick. The dual-clutch transmission still needs a bit more work to iron out the hesitation issues I experienced. 
      That first impression I had still stands and moves the Kona not only being the best in the class at the moment, but also onto a very rarefied list; a vehicle I would considering buying.
      How I Would Configure A Kona: The only reason I see buying the Ultimate is for the adaptive cruise control as most of the other safety equipment such as blind spot monitoring, parking sensors, and forward collision avoidance are available on other models. So if I wanted the Turbo engine, then I would step down to the Limited at $26,100. For those who think that is a tad expensive still should consider the SEL Plus as it comes very well equipped for $23,950. You do sacrifice the turbo engine for the 2.0L four-cylinder which is fine if your planning to drive mostly around town. Add an additional $1,400 for all-wheel drive.
      Disclaimer: Hyundai Provided the Kona, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2020
      Make: Hyundai
      Model: Kona
      Trim: Ultimate
      Engine: 1.6L Turbocharged DOHC 16-Valve GDI Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Seven-Speed Dual-Clutch, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 175 @ 5,500
      Torque @ RPM: 195 @ 1,500 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/29/27
      Curb Weight: 3,276 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ulsan, South Korea
      Base Price: $29,150
      As Tested Price: $ 30,380 (Includes $1,095.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $135.00
    • By William Maley
      This week, Hagerty obtained a document from General Motors' executive director in charge of program management, Michelle Braun that says development on future car and truck programs has been paused due to the COVID-19 outbreak. But the document also mentions some intriguing information on upcoming powertrains for the C8 Corvette. Here are the details,
      Corvette Z06: 5.5L DOHC V8 known as the LT6 that will produce 650 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque. No mention of any type of forced-induction. Corvette Gran Sport: 6.2L OHC V8 with a hybrid system that's expected to produce 600 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque. Corvette ZR1: Twin-Turbo 5.5L DOHC V8, dubbed LT7. Output is expected to be 850 horsepower and 800 pound-feet. Corvette Zora: The powerhouse of the C8, it will take the Twin-Turbo LT7 and augment with a hybrid system. This is expected to produce 1,000 horsepower and 975 pound-feet of torque. Hagerty's report says the rollout of the new engines will begin in 2022 with the LT6, but the COVID-19 outbreak may push the plans back.
      Source: Hagerty

View full article
    • By William Maley
      This week, Hagerty obtained a document from General Motors' executive director in charge of program management, Michelle Braun that says development on future car and truck programs has been paused due to the COVID-19 outbreak. But the document also mentions some intriguing information on upcoming powertrains for the C8 Corvette. Here are the details,
      Corvette Z06: 5.5L DOHC V8 known as the LT6 that will produce 650 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque. No mention of any type of forced-induction. Corvette Gran Sport: 6.2L OHC V8 with a hybrid system that's expected to produce 600 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque. Corvette ZR1: Twin-Turbo 5.5L DOHC V8, dubbed LT7. Output is expected to be 850 horsepower and 800 pound-feet. Corvette Zora: The powerhouse of the C8, it will take the Twin-Turbo LT7 and augment with a hybrid system. This is expected to produce 1,000 horsepower and 975 pound-feet of torque. Hagerty's report says the rollout of the new engines will begin in 2022 with the LT6, but the COVID-19 outbreak may push the plans back.
      Source: Hagerty
  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook