• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

Mercedez Benz News 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 Ready To Take On BMW X6

We don't know why BMW created the X6, let alone introduced a redesigned model since they really don't sell that many. In November, the company only moved 421 units. But that isn't stopping the likes of Mercedes-Benz and Audi from joining the fun. Mercedes-Benz has revealed the 2016 GLE Coupe.

GLE is the first Mercedes-Benz model to follow the company's new nomenclature for SUVs and will be the sister model to the upcoming GLE (known currently as the ML-Class).

The overall design is very much Mercedes' take on X6's design with similar roofline profile, high beltline, and taillights. There are elements of the CLA in the front-end with a tall, upright grille and large headlights with LEDs on the inner edge. Inside is a mix of the current centerstack layout found on Mercedes' SUVs with the floating screen on newer Mercedes' sedans. There's also a flat-bottom steering wheel and gauges that change their look dependent on the driving mode.

Only one powertrain has been announced for North America for the time being. That happens to be GLE 450 AMG (first of the AMG Sport models) which packs a twin-turbo 3.0L V6 with 362 horsepower and 384 pound-feet of torque. This is paired up to a new nine-speed automatic and 4Matic all-wheel drive system.

No official word of whether or not we'll see the GLE at the Detroit Auto Show next month, but its likely possibility.

Source: Mercedes-Benz

Press Release is on Page 2

Premiere: Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe

• A sportier choice

December 09, 2014 - Stuttgart

Mercedes-Benz is combining two classes of vehicle – each with its own distinct style – to make a new model, the Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe. The sporty nature of a coupe dominates, imbued with the striking characteristics of a robust SUV. In addition to convincing on-road vehicle dynamics, the GLE Coupe looks impressive as well. With its flowing side contour, elongated and low greenhouse, striking radiator grille with central chrome louvre and rear end design, the GLE Coupe cites styling features typical of particularly sporty Mercedes-Benz models. In the U.S. market, the Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 AMG 4MATIC Coupe features a biturbo V6 engine that produces 362 horsepower and 384 lb-ft of torque. In addition to the generous amount of standard equipment, the DYNAMIC SELECT dynamic handling control system, the Sports Direct-Steer system and the driver assistance systems typical of the brand, the GLE 450 AMG 4MATIC Coupe comes standard with the 9G-TRONIC nine-speed automatic transmission and 4MATIC permanent all-wheel drive.

The GLE Coupe is the new addition to the successful portfolio of Mercedes-Benz coupes. Alongside the classic, two-door C, E and S-Class models and the four-door CLS- and CLA-Class coupes, the new coupe displays a highly individual interpretation of the physiognomy and light-footed approach typical of this family of vehicles. For example, the GLE Coupe displays attributes typical of coupes such as sportiness, dynamism and agility, while also exuding the self-assured presence, versatility and ruggedness of an SUV.

DYNAMIC SELECT dynamic handling control system: highly variable – from racy and sporty to poised and comfortable

The GLE Coupe feels like a true sports coupe. Despite the similarity to an SUV with its raised seating position and expansive all-round view, the occupants are led to believe that they are in sports rather than off-road mode. The sound is reminiscent of powerful sports cars, while the spontaneous and direct response to all commands is guaranteed to get your pulse racing. On the other hand, it can also create a superior feeling of calm, coupled with unshakeably serene driving dynamics. These two different worlds can normally only be experienced in two separate vehicles – an agile, thoroughbred sports coupe and an easy-going, comfortable SUV. But the new GLE Coupe is different: DYNAMIC SELECT enables a wide spread in the driving dynamics and combines these diametrical worlds of experience in a single vehicle – an automobile premiere.

GLE 450 AMG – the first AMG sports model

The balancing act between extremely sporty yet still comfortable has been mastered especially well in the GLE 450 AMG 4MATIC Coupe. As the first AMG sports model, the V6 top-of-the-range GLE Coupe enables an attractive entry to the world of the sports car and performance brand.

"The GLE 450 AMG Coupe is our first sports model, and further highly emotional and performance-oriented models will follow in the near future. The new product line from Mercedes-AMG has allowed us to make true sports car technology and the fascination of motorsports more accessible," says Tobias Moers, Chairman of the Board of Management of Mercedes-AMG GmbH. "Every vehicle from Affalterbach honors the brand promise of Driving Performance."

The new AMG sports models display impressive product substance and honor the promise of sports performance with a higher output class, standard all-wheel drive and also sophisticated chassis solutions. The variable dynamic control system assigns fundamentally different characteristics to the five transmission modes of INDIVIDUAL, COMFORT, SLIPPERY, SPORT and SPORT+, which the driver is able to select using a rotary control on the center console. The system networks all the control systems, generating different sets of parameters. The names speak for themselves: SPORT and SPORT+ turn the GLE 450 AMG 4MATIC Coupe into a sporty, dynamic vehicle with pronounced longitudinal and lateral dynamics. COMFORT is the opposite end of the spectrum. Here the emphasis is on the refined parameters so typical of classic Mercedes-Benz sedans, for relaxed, effortless cruising with the greatest possible energy efficiency. SLIPPERY optimizes the handling on surfaces with low friction coefficients such as snow or ice. In addition, INDIVIDUAL mode enables the driver to program and store personal preferences in the individual control strategies, regardless of the engine variant.

In the GLE 450 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, DYNAMIC SELECT not only modulates the "hard skills" such as the chassis and suspension, steering or powertrain. It is also possible to experience the selected mode more intensively on an emotional level because various "soft skills" such as the engine sound, instruments or dynamic control of the driving lights also vary. To this end, the nature of the various displays on the COMAND screen and in the cockpit changes according to the selected transmission mode. At the same time, the active light function of the all-LED headlamps respond more spontaneously and the engine produces the whole range of sounds from sporty and dominant to poised and restrained:

• If the driver selects COMFORT mode, the displays take on lesser importance and, like the engine, the dial instruments such as the rev counter show a relaxed response to the driver's commands. In combination with the comfort-oriented control of the powertrain and suspension, the result is a feel-good ambience at the level of a sedan. The engine sound is reduced to a pleasant timbre, and the feedback from the road surface and surroundings is considerably quieter in the interior.
  • Things are very different when SPORT+ mode is selected. The character changes immediately, the gear changes performed by the 9G-TRONIC are acoustically accentuated, especially when downshifting with the double-declutch function, and the cockpit instruments respond faster and more "sharply". The large central display visualizes the longitudinal and lateral acceleration plus the steering angle with a photo-realistic motorsports graphic. The engine sound is powerful and acoustically underscores the sports mode. This setting removes any doubt: the GLE Coupe is a lively sports model of the highest order, and treats its occupants to a compelling world of experience.

View full article

So wait, the new AMG engine has a 58 horsepower and 51 lb-ft deficit compared to the Cadillac V-Sport engine? 

Yup.. Let alone the 455 horsepower and 445 lb torque coming out of the twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6. Mercedes is not an aspiration brand in my opinion.. well at least outside of the CLS and S-Class... and that's only when U are driving around in a Civic because U have to

Hilarious... this GLE's interior is damn close to my Impala's interior.. The front looks like the CLA.. the rear... a Verano.    This is Tragic

15mis8l.jpg

2016-mercedes-benz-gle-class-interior-ph

2014-Chevrolet-Impala-LTZ-cabin.jpg

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

I like the powertrain, it isn't an AMG engine is just more turbo boost on the current 3 liter V6.  I'd like this powertrain more on a C or E-class though.  Although the next generation E-class is getting an inline six that will replace the 3.0 V6.   The interior looks like the M-class interior of the last 5 years, so I guess this GLE coupe will get a new interior when the M-class is redone in a couple years.  This interior is a let down if they plan on charging a premium on the ML for it.  To me these coupe SUVs make no sense, if you want a sporty vehicle, buy a car.  This might cost as much as a CLS and why would you buy this over a CLS that looks better, drives better, handles better, is faster, gets better gas mileage, etc.

I like the powertrain, it isn't an AMG engine is just more turbo boost on the current 3 liter V6.  I'd like this powertrain more on a C or E-class though.  Although the next generation E-class is getting an inline six that will replace the 3.0 V6.   The interior looks like the M-class interior of the last 5 years, so I guess this GLE coupe will get a new interior when the M-class is redone in a couple years.  This interior is a let down if they plan on charging a premium on the ML for it.  To me these coupe SUVs make no sense, if you want a sporty vehicle, buy a car.  This might cost as much as a CLS and why would you buy this over a CLS that looks better, drives better, handles better, is faster, gets better gas mileage, etc.

So what you're saying is that AMG is continuing to water down their name?

I wish they left the AMG Sport name off, I don't think it is needed (neither is M Sport or F-sport).  For years they offered an "AMG appearance package" on most of their cars and you get the AMG wheels, the front fascia or body moldings, the AMG engraved chrome exhaust pipes, etc.  I thought the sport or appearance package was enough.  And if they are going to tune the V6 to 360 hp, why not just make that the C400, CLS400, GL400, etc.  But I guess they feel like if they make a 450 they can charge more for it, and it does give buyers more options.  At least though Mercedes ups the power from the C400's 329 hp, if you buy a Lexus RX350 F Sport it has the same horsepower as the base model.

Looks like a tick ready to pop.

Shouldn't this price level at least get you fog lights- some buyer's ENTIRE WORLDS revolve around fog lights and that GLARING OMISSION will be a deal killer for them.

Looks like a tick ready to pop.

Shouldn't this price level at least get you fog lights- some buyer's ENTIRE WORLDS revolve around fog lights and that GLARING OMISSION will be a deal killer for them.

Agreed, at this price point, they should be standard and not an Option.

One Request I would love to change on all MB, BMW and Audi auto's guess for all European auto's is that stupid rear fog light requirement where one rear light is twice as bright as the other. It looks bad and really does not serve a purpose except for some political hag. If you want brighter rear lights, then just require it for the whole rear not just 1 light.

I wish they left the AMG Sport name off, I don't think it is needed (neither is M Sport or F-sport).  For years they offered an "AMG appearance package" on most of their cars and you get the AMG wheels, the front fascia or body moldings, the AMG engraved chrome exhaust pipes, etc.  I thought the sport or appearance package was enough.  And if they are going to tune the V6 to 360 hp, why not just make that the C400, CLS400, GL400, etc.  But I guess they feel like if they make a 450 they can charge more for it, and it does give buyers more options.  At least though Mercedes ups the power from the C400's 329 hp, if you buy a Lexus RX350 F Sport it has the same horsepower as the base model.

So based on your comments then you would agree this is a FAILURE for MB.

No other way to look at it other than just having a model for model sake to compete against BMW due to overblown ego's. This is how GM,Ford and Chrysler started down the road to mistaken problems in the late 70's, 80's and early 90's. Executive Ego is to be blamed for mistakes like this.

I don't think it is a failure, but I don't think they need this product. Limited market here, more limited than the 4-door coupe segment and to make business sense you have to charge more than an ML, which means charging closer to GL money. Wouldn't surprise me if this is a one and done product but Americans have a thirist for crossovers so who knows.

The X6 peaked at 7k units a year the year after introduction and has fallen to 4k units this year.  What thirst are you seeing there SMK?

and the ZDX is already canceled.

The X6 peaked at 7k units a year the year after introduction and has fallen to 4k units this year.  What thirst are you seeing there SMK?

I suspect the thirst is in China.

and the ZDX is already canceled.

For crossovers in general, but not for coupe-like crossovers with no utility.  Americans love crap like the Rouge or Rav4 and will pay $28,000 for it, but at the same time think a $18,000 Sentra or Corolla sucks, and not realize it the same product, but one is a wagon on stilts.  BMW and Mercedes buyers prefer sedans though because they actually enjoy good handling, that is why their sedan sales kill their SUV sales.  That is why I don't think Mercedes needs a GLE coupe, it too small a market and their customer base doesn't buy that sort of product.

I still don't like this whole coupe SUV thing. I don't really understand their uses or why someone would buy one. The X6 just looks horrid and I guess the Merc is a little better but not by much. I would just go buy an X5 or a ML/GL or something.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      We have seen the A-Class hatchback and the stretched A-Class sedan. Last night, Mercedes-Benz finally revealed the 2019 A-Class sedan for the U.S. This will take the place of the CLA as the entry point for Mercedes-Benz.
      The regular A-Class sedan is the same as the long-wheelbase variant in terms of design; large grille, trapezoidal headlights, and bold lines along the side. Overall length is 2.3-inches shorter than the LWB variant (179.1 vs. 181.4 inches). Interestingly, the new A-Class sedan is very close in size to the current CLA - slightly shorter in overall length (179.1 vs. 182.3 inches) but having a longer wheelbase (107.4 inches vs. 106.3 inches). Wheels range in size from 17 to 19-inches. The interior matches up with its overseas brethren with a modern dash design, and a pair of screens (either 7 or 10.25-inches) featuring the new Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX) infotainment system.
      Under the hood is a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder producing 188 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and the choice of front or Mercedes' 4Matic all-wheel drive. An torsion-beam rear axle is standard on the front-wheel drive A-Class when equipped with 17-inch wheels. Opt for either the larger wheels or AWD and the rear suspension changes to a four-link independent setup.
      No word on pricing, but the 2019 A-Class sedan will be arriving at Mercedes-Benz dealers towards the end of the year.

The all-new A-Class Sedan
      Compact entry into the world of Mercedes-Benz premium sedans Jul 26, 2018 – Brooklyn: The family of compact cars from Mercedes-Benz continues to grow: the all-new A-Class Sedan will launch at the end of the year. The four-door sedan has a wheelbase of 107.4 inches and the proportions of a dynamic and simultaneously compact sedan with short front and rear overhangs and boasts impressive space in the interior. In addition, the sedan model has A-Class virtues familiar to the rest of the world. These include a new and efficient engine and high levels of safety thanks to the available state-of-the-art driving assistance systems on par with the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. The new A-Class is also the first vehicle in the Mercedes-Benz lineup to introduce the intuitively operated MBUX – Mercedes-Benz User Experience multimedia system. The all-new 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan will celebrate its World Premiere in Brooklyn, NY in July 2018 and will go on sale in the U.S. in late 2018.
      "Following the successful start of the A-Class, things at Mercedes-Benz are happening in quick succession with regard to the new family of compacts. In response to the wish of many customers, we now offer the A-Class for the first time as a sedan," says Britta Seeger, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and responsible for Mercedes-Benz Cars Marketing and Sales. "Anyone looking for a compact, sporty sedan with a separate trunk now has a new, attractive alternative. It will attract new customers for Mercedes-Benz."
      The new generation of compacts has made a key contribution to the rejuvenation and image-change of the Mercedes-Benz brand. The launch of the four-door CLA Coupe in 2013 was the first time a compact car from Mercedes-Benz was sold in the U.S. market. In 2017, nearly one in two buyers of a Mercedes-Benz compact car in the U.S. had previously driven a competitor vehicle, and more than 50-percent of the CLA custome rs were new to Mercedes-Benz (first-time buyers and conquests).
      The 1997 A-Class originally established the compact car segment of Mercedes-Benz that exists today. Since then, more than six million models have been delivered worldwide. As the seventh model, the A-Class Sedan further expands the range of Mercedes-Benz compact cars. A logical addition, because with the C, E and S-Class, Mercedes-Benz continues to hold its position as a top-manufacturer of premium sedans.
      The key dimensions of the new A-Class Sedan:
      Length: 179.1 in Width: 70.7 in Height: 56.9 in Wheelbase: 107.4 in The A-Class Sedan offers great utility with roomy shoulder, elbow and headroom and easy access to the rear. The improvement to rear headroom space is particularly exceptional and the trunk was designed for practical usability with a large trunk opening that allows for comfortable loading and unloading of larger luggage items.
      Engine & Performance
      The A-Class Sedan will be available as an A 220 and as an A 220 4MATIC, both equipped with a 2.0L inline-4 turbocharged engine that produces 188 hp and 221 lb-ft of torque, mated to a 7G-DCT dual-clutch transmission.
      Equipment & Appointments: KEYLESS-GO® with HANDS-FREE ACCESS Available
      The standard equipment for the A 220 and A 220 4MATIC is extensive and includes the revolutionary MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User Experience multimedia system with touchscreen) with Voice Control. As with every Mercedes-Benz, safety is also a top priority, so sophisticated safety systems including Active Brake Assist and adaptive braking technology with Hill Start Assist and the HOLD function are standard. In addition, the A-Class Sedan can be customized with unique design and equipment lines including Progressive (standard) and the optional AMG Line. A Night Package is also available as an option.  
      KEYLESS-GO with HANDS-FREE ACCESS will also be one of the available options. The HANDS-FREE ACCESS function conveniently enables the hands-free and fully automatic opening of the trunk lid with a kicking motion of the foot under the rear bumper.
      Design: Superior Sportiness and Modernity
      The A-Class Sedan seamlessly embodies the design idiom of Sensual Purity with its purist design that emphasizes distinct yet harmonious surfaces. Clear, formal shapes emphasize surface areas with reduced lines and precise gaps. The new A-Class Sedan has the proportions of a dynamic and compact sedan with short front and rear overhangs.
      The deep greenhouse and compact rear-end contribute to the vehicle's dynamic boost. The 17 to 19-inch wheels and pronounced wheel arches give the A-Class Sedan a sporty stance on the road.
      The design of the front-end looks very progressive. This impression is enhanced by the low, elongated hood, the chrome slim-line headlamps, the torch-like daytime driving lights, the optional single-louvre diamond radiator grille with chrome pins and, of course, the central star.
      A precisely characterized line runs along the muscular and sensual shoulder to emphasize the perfectly contoured side volume, while the side mirrors sit on the beltline.
      The two-part taillamps emphasize the width of the rear end. The rear reflectors were relocated to the modular two-part rear bumper. Depending on the selected equipment, the rear bumper is available with a black diffuser or with a chrome trim strip and chrome tailpipe tips.
      Interior Design: Revolution from Within
      The interior of the new A-Class is completely redefined with a modern, avant-garde look. Mercedes-Benz has taken a completely new approach, revolutionizing the compact class from the inside to create a new feeling of spaciousness. The unique interior architecture is predominantly reformed by the avant-garde design of the dashboard. The designers completely dispensed with the cowl above the cockpit. As a result, the wing-shaped main body of the dashboard extends from one front door to the other with no visual discontinuity--the widescreen display is completely free-standing. The sporty turbine look of the new air vents is another highlight.
      Below the main body is a low-lying section with fenders that appear to float, as there are no connections or shape transitions to the surrounding area. The ambient lighting accentuates the free-floating impression of the substructure. The 64 colors of the optional ambient lighting make five times as many colors available than before. It is not just the variety that has increased, as the emotional presentation also sets new standards in this segment. The different colors are composed into ten color themes to create a lighting display with spectacular color changes.
      The fully free-standing cockpit is available in two configurations:
      Two 7-inch displays (standard) Two 10.25-inch displays (optional) MBUX - Mercedes-Benz User Experience: Unrivalled Experience
      The new A-Class is the first Mercedes-Benz model to feature the completely new MBUX - Mercedes-Benz User Experience multimedia system -- ushering in a new era for connectivity. A unique feature of this system is its ability to learn thanks to Artificial Intelligence. MBUX is customizable and adapts to the user, creating an emotional connection between the vehicle, driver and passengers.
      Depending on the specification, further strengths include the high-resolution widescreen cockpit concept with a touchscreen media display with Augmented Reality capabilities, a digital instrument cluster display, Intelligent voice control with natural speech recognition - activated with the keyword "Hey Mercedes." The touchscreen is part of the comprehensive MBUX touch-control concept – a triad consisting of the Touchscreen, Touchpad on the center console and Touch Control Buttons on the steering wheel. A head-up display is also optionally available.
      MBUX revolutionizes the user experience in the car. Emotionally appealing features underline the comprehensibility of the control structure through brilliant 3D maximum-resolution graphics which are calculated and displayed in real time.
      New and improved connected services are being launched with the new multimedia generation MBUX. These include the functions based on Car-to-X Communication (information from vehicle to vehicle on events recorded by sensors, e.g. emergency braking, ESP® intervention, or a manual system message from the driver, e.g. about an accident) and vehicle tracking, which makes it easier to find the parked car.
      INTELLIGENT DRIVE: Functions from the S-Class
      The A-Class is optionally available with the very latest driver assistance systems with functions adopted from the S-Class. For the first time, the A-Class is able to drive semi-autonomously in certain conditions. To do this, it keeps a close eye on the traffic situation with improved camera and radar systems that allow it to see more than 1,500 feet ahead (up to 500 meters). The A-Class also uses map and navigation data for certain assistance functions. For example, Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC® is able to provide route-based support to the driver in numerous situations and predictively adjust the speed when approaching bends, junctions or roundabouts. Active Emergency Stop Assist and the intuitive Active Lane Change Assist are also included as part of the Driver Assistance Package.
      Active Brake Assist is standard for the new A-Class. Depending on the situation, it can help to effectively mitigate or avoid the consequences of rear-end collisions with slower-moving, stopping or stationary vehicles ahead. The system can even recognize crossing pedestrians and cyclists, and can intervene or support the driver in possible collision scenarios.
      Active Lane Keeping Assist is able to warn the driver by means of pulsed vibrations in the steering wheel when the vehicle is unintentionally drifting out of its lane at speeds between approximately 37 and 125 mph. If the vehicle passes over a solid line, it can pull the vehicle back into the lane by applying the brakes on one side. In the case of a dotted line, such intervention takes place only when there is a danger of collision with a vehicle in the adjacent lane (including danger from oncoming traffic).
      PRE-SAFE® PLUS can recognize an imminent rear-end collision. If the vehicle is stationary and the danger of a collision persists, the system can also firmly apply the brakes, thus minimizing the risk of a secondary collision and of injuries by reducing the forward jolt caused by an impact from the rear.
      Passive Safety: Highly Stable Passenger Compartment and Modern Restraint Systems
      The new A-Class is also the first Mercedes-Benz model to be developed at the new Technology Centre for Vehicle Safety (TFS). The design of the vehicle structures incorporates findings from research into real accidents. Every single body shell component was developed according to loads and stresses encountered, with respect to geometry, material thickness, joining technology and material quality (increased proportion of high-strength and ultra-high-strength sheet steel).
      The centerpiece of the body's safety concept is the highly rigid passenger compartment. A greater use of high-strength, ultra-high-strength and press-hardened sheet steel results in an impressive rigidity when subjected to accident-induced stress – for example, in frontal, lateral or rear-end collisions and roll-overs.
      The driver and front passenger seats each have a three-point seat belt with a belt force limiter and belt tensioner. As standard, the new A-Class is equipped with driver and front passenger airbags, a driver's knee airbag and window airbags. Unlike in many competing models, the window airbags cover the A-pillar for more complete passenger protection. Thorax-pelvis side airbags are also standard in the front and available as an optional addition for the rear.
      LED Intelligent Light System: Optimum Visibility in All Conditions
      The optional LED Intelligent Light System is another example of the technology transfer from the luxury to the compact class. It allows for the extremely quick, precise and electronically controlled adjustment of the headlamps to suit the given traffic situation. Each headlamp features multiple individually actuated LEDs. The daylight-color of the LEDs is easy on the eyes and positively effects concentration. The road ahead is precisely and brightly illuminated. As standard, the new A-Class is equipped with LED Headlamps with integrated LED Daytime Running Lamps.
      Suspension: Agile and Comfortable
      There is a choice of suspension systems for the A-Class depending on driver preference. The line-up of wheels ranges from 17 to 19 inches.
      The front axle of the new A‑Class features a McPherson design. For models with 4MATIC, adaptive damping or larger wheels are fitted with a complex four-link rear axle. All other models have a weight-optimized torsion-beam rear axle.
      Production: Aguascalientes, Mexico and Rastatt, Germany
      Production of the new A-Class Sedan will begin this year in Aguascalientes. The COMPAS (Cooperation Manufacturing Plant Aguascalientes) joint-venture production plant in Central Mexico will expand the Mercedes-Benz Cars compact-car production network to five locations on three continents. COMPAS is a cooperative project with the Renault-Nissan Alliance. Daimler and Nissan each hold 50% of the shares in COMPAS.
      Production of the new A-Class Sedan at the Mercedes-Benz Rastatt Plant in Germany will start in 2019. Rastatt is the leading plant for compact cars in the global production network. The plant is responsible for the global production control as well as quality and supplier management. In addition, it supports smooth start-ups at the other plants by training their employees and offering other services. In April, the new generation of A-Class compacts already began coming off the line in Rastatt. 
      The all-new 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan will celebrate its World Premiere in Brooklyn, NY in July 2018 and will go on sale in the U.S. in late 2018.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      We have seen the A-Class hatchback and the stretched A-Class sedan. Last night, Mercedes-Benz finally revealed the 2019 A-Class sedan for the U.S. This will take the place of the CLA as the entry point for Mercedes-Benz.
      The regular A-Class sedan is the same as the long-wheelbase variant in terms of design; large grille, trapezoidal headlights, and bold lines along the side. Overall length is 2.3-inches shorter than the LWB variant (179.1 vs. 181.4 inches). Interestingly, the new A-Class sedan is very close in size to the current CLA - slightly shorter in overall length (179.1 vs. 182.3 inches) but having a longer wheelbase (107.4 inches vs. 106.3 inches). Wheels range in size from 17 to 19-inches. The interior matches up with its overseas brethren with a modern dash design, and a pair of screens (either 7 or 10.25-inches) featuring the new Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX) infotainment system.
      Under the hood is a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder producing 188 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and the choice of front or Mercedes' 4Matic all-wheel drive. An torsion-beam rear axle is standard on the front-wheel drive A-Class when equipped with 17-inch wheels. Opt for either the larger wheels or AWD and the rear suspension changes to a four-link independent setup.
      No word on pricing, but the 2019 A-Class sedan will be arriving at Mercedes-Benz dealers towards the end of the year.

The all-new A-Class Sedan
      Compact entry into the world of Mercedes-Benz premium sedans Jul 26, 2018 – Brooklyn: The family of compact cars from Mercedes-Benz continues to grow: the all-new A-Class Sedan will launch at the end of the year. The four-door sedan has a wheelbase of 107.4 inches and the proportions of a dynamic and simultaneously compact sedan with short front and rear overhangs and boasts impressive space in the interior. In addition, the sedan model has A-Class virtues familiar to the rest of the world. These include a new and efficient engine and high levels of safety thanks to the available state-of-the-art driving assistance systems on par with the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. The new A-Class is also the first vehicle in the Mercedes-Benz lineup to introduce the intuitively operated MBUX – Mercedes-Benz User Experience multimedia system. The all-new 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan will celebrate its World Premiere in Brooklyn, NY in July 2018 and will go on sale in the U.S. in late 2018.
      "Following the successful start of the A-Class, things at Mercedes-Benz are happening in quick succession with regard to the new family of compacts. In response to the wish of many customers, we now offer the A-Class for the first time as a sedan," says Britta Seeger, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and responsible for Mercedes-Benz Cars Marketing and Sales. "Anyone looking for a compact, sporty sedan with a separate trunk now has a new, attractive alternative. It will attract new customers for Mercedes-Benz."
      The new generation of compacts has made a key contribution to the rejuvenation and image-change of the Mercedes-Benz brand. The launch of the four-door CLA Coupe in 2013 was the first time a compact car from Mercedes-Benz was sold in the U.S. market. In 2017, nearly one in two buyers of a Mercedes-Benz compact car in the U.S. had previously driven a competitor vehicle, and more than 50-percent of the CLA custome rs were new to Mercedes-Benz (first-time buyers and conquests).
      The 1997 A-Class originally established the compact car segment of Mercedes-Benz that exists today. Since then, more than six million models have been delivered worldwide. As the seventh model, the A-Class Sedan further expands the range of Mercedes-Benz compact cars. A logical addition, because with the C, E and S-Class, Mercedes-Benz continues to hold its position as a top-manufacturer of premium sedans.
      The key dimensions of the new A-Class Sedan:
      Length: 179.1 in Width: 70.7 in Height: 56.9 in Wheelbase: 107.4 in The A-Class Sedan offers great utility with roomy shoulder, elbow and headroom and easy access to the rear. The improvement to rear headroom space is particularly exceptional and the trunk was designed for practical usability with a large trunk opening that allows for comfortable loading and unloading of larger luggage items.
      Engine & Performance
      The A-Class Sedan will be available as an A 220 and as an A 220 4MATIC, both equipped with a 2.0L inline-4 turbocharged engine that produces 188 hp and 221 lb-ft of torque, mated to a 7G-DCT dual-clutch transmission.
      Equipment & Appointments: KEYLESS-GO® with HANDS-FREE ACCESS Available
      The standard equipment for the A 220 and A 220 4MATIC is extensive and includes the revolutionary MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User Experience multimedia system with touchscreen) with Voice Control. As with every Mercedes-Benz, safety is also a top priority, so sophisticated safety systems including Active Brake Assist and adaptive braking technology with Hill Start Assist and the HOLD function are standard. In addition, the A-Class Sedan can be customized with unique design and equipment lines including Progressive (standard) and the optional AMG Line. A Night Package is also available as an option.  
      KEYLESS-GO with HANDS-FREE ACCESS will also be one of the available options. The HANDS-FREE ACCESS function conveniently enables the hands-free and fully automatic opening of the trunk lid with a kicking motion of the foot under the rear bumper.
      Design: Superior Sportiness and Modernity
      The A-Class Sedan seamlessly embodies the design idiom of Sensual Purity with its purist design that emphasizes distinct yet harmonious surfaces. Clear, formal shapes emphasize surface areas with reduced lines and precise gaps. The new A-Class Sedan has the proportions of a dynamic and compact sedan with short front and rear overhangs.
      The deep greenhouse and compact rear-end contribute to the vehicle's dynamic boost. The 17 to 19-inch wheels and pronounced wheel arches give the A-Class Sedan a sporty stance on the road.
      The design of the front-end looks very progressive. This impression is enhanced by the low, elongated hood, the chrome slim-line headlamps, the torch-like daytime driving lights, the optional single-louvre diamond radiator grille with chrome pins and, of course, the central star.
      A precisely characterized line runs along the muscular and sensual shoulder to emphasize the perfectly contoured side volume, while the side mirrors sit on the beltline.
      The two-part taillamps emphasize the width of the rear end. The rear reflectors were relocated to the modular two-part rear bumper. Depending on the selected equipment, the rear bumper is available with a black diffuser or with a chrome trim strip and chrome tailpipe tips.
      Interior Design: Revolution from Within
      The interior of the new A-Class is completely redefined with a modern, avant-garde look. Mercedes-Benz has taken a completely new approach, revolutionizing the compact class from the inside to create a new feeling of spaciousness. The unique interior architecture is predominantly reformed by the avant-garde design of the dashboard. The designers completely dispensed with the cowl above the cockpit. As a result, the wing-shaped main body of the dashboard extends from one front door to the other with no visual discontinuity--the widescreen display is completely free-standing. The sporty turbine look of the new air vents is another highlight.
      Below the main body is a low-lying section with fenders that appear to float, as there are no connections or shape transitions to the surrounding area. The ambient lighting accentuates the free-floating impression of the substructure. The 64 colors of the optional ambient lighting make five times as many colors available than before. It is not just the variety that has increased, as the emotional presentation also sets new standards in this segment. The different colors are composed into ten color themes to create a lighting display with spectacular color changes.
      The fully free-standing cockpit is available in two configurations:
      Two 7-inch displays (standard) Two 10.25-inch displays (optional) MBUX - Mercedes-Benz User Experience: Unrivalled Experience
      The new A-Class is the first Mercedes-Benz model to feature the completely new MBUX - Mercedes-Benz User Experience multimedia system -- ushering in a new era for connectivity. A unique feature of this system is its ability to learn thanks to Artificial Intelligence. MBUX is customizable and adapts to the user, creating an emotional connection between the vehicle, driver and passengers.
      Depending on the specification, further strengths include the high-resolution widescreen cockpit concept with a touchscreen media display with Augmented Reality capabilities, a digital instrument cluster display, Intelligent voice control with natural speech recognition - activated with the keyword "Hey Mercedes." The touchscreen is part of the comprehensive MBUX touch-control concept – a triad consisting of the Touchscreen, Touchpad on the center console and Touch Control Buttons on the steering wheel. A head-up display is also optionally available.
      MBUX revolutionizes the user experience in the car. Emotionally appealing features underline the comprehensibility of the control structure through brilliant 3D maximum-resolution graphics which are calculated and displayed in real time.
      New and improved connected services are being launched with the new multimedia generation MBUX. These include the functions based on Car-to-X Communication (information from vehicle to vehicle on events recorded by sensors, e.g. emergency braking, ESP® intervention, or a manual system message from the driver, e.g. about an accident) and vehicle tracking, which makes it easier to find the parked car.
      INTELLIGENT DRIVE: Functions from the S-Class
      The A-Class is optionally available with the very latest driver assistance systems with functions adopted from the S-Class. For the first time, the A-Class is able to drive semi-autonomously in certain conditions. To do this, it keeps a close eye on the traffic situation with improved camera and radar systems that allow it to see more than 1,500 feet ahead (up to 500 meters). The A-Class also uses map and navigation data for certain assistance functions. For example, Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC® is able to provide route-based support to the driver in numerous situations and predictively adjust the speed when approaching bends, junctions or roundabouts. Active Emergency Stop Assist and the intuitive Active Lane Change Assist are also included as part of the Driver Assistance Package.
      Active Brake Assist is standard for the new A-Class. Depending on the situation, it can help to effectively mitigate or avoid the consequences of rear-end collisions with slower-moving, stopping or stationary vehicles ahead. The system can even recognize crossing pedestrians and cyclists, and can intervene or support the driver in possible collision scenarios.
      Active Lane Keeping Assist is able to warn the driver by means of pulsed vibrations in the steering wheel when the vehicle is unintentionally drifting out of its lane at speeds between approximately 37 and 125 mph. If the vehicle passes over a solid line, it can pull the vehicle back into the lane by applying the brakes on one side. In the case of a dotted line, such intervention takes place only when there is a danger of collision with a vehicle in the adjacent lane (including danger from oncoming traffic).
      PRE-SAFE® PLUS can recognize an imminent rear-end collision. If the vehicle is stationary and the danger of a collision persists, the system can also firmly apply the brakes, thus minimizing the risk of a secondary collision and of injuries by reducing the forward jolt caused by an impact from the rear.
      Passive Safety: Highly Stable Passenger Compartment and Modern Restraint Systems
      The new A-Class is also the first Mercedes-Benz model to be developed at the new Technology Centre for Vehicle Safety (TFS). The design of the vehicle structures incorporates findings from research into real accidents. Every single body shell component was developed according to loads and stresses encountered, with respect to geometry, material thickness, joining technology and material quality (increased proportion of high-strength and ultra-high-strength sheet steel).
      The centerpiece of the body's safety concept is the highly rigid passenger compartment. A greater use of high-strength, ultra-high-strength and press-hardened sheet steel results in an impressive rigidity when subjected to accident-induced stress – for example, in frontal, lateral or rear-end collisions and roll-overs.
      The driver and front passenger seats each have a three-point seat belt with a belt force limiter and belt tensioner. As standard, the new A-Class is equipped with driver and front passenger airbags, a driver's knee airbag and window airbags. Unlike in many competing models, the window airbags cover the A-pillar for more complete passenger protection. Thorax-pelvis side airbags are also standard in the front and available as an optional addition for the rear.
      LED Intelligent Light System: Optimum Visibility in All Conditions
      The optional LED Intelligent Light System is another example of the technology transfer from the luxury to the compact class. It allows for the extremely quick, precise and electronically controlled adjustment of the headlamps to suit the given traffic situation. Each headlamp features multiple individually actuated LEDs. The daylight-color of the LEDs is easy on the eyes and positively effects concentration. The road ahead is precisely and brightly illuminated. As standard, the new A-Class is equipped with LED Headlamps with integrated LED Daytime Running Lamps.
      Suspension: Agile and Comfortable
      There is a choice of suspension systems for the A-Class depending on driver preference. The line-up of wheels ranges from 17 to 19 inches.
      The front axle of the new A‑Class features a McPherson design. For models with 4MATIC, adaptive damping or larger wheels are fitted with a complex four-link rear axle. All other models have a weight-optimized torsion-beam rear axle.
      Production: Aguascalientes, Mexico and Rastatt, Germany
      Production of the new A-Class Sedan will begin this year in Aguascalientes. The COMPAS (Cooperation Manufacturing Plant Aguascalientes) joint-venture production plant in Central Mexico will expand the Mercedes-Benz Cars compact-car production network to five locations on three continents. COMPAS is a cooperative project with the Renault-Nissan Alliance. Daimler and Nissan each hold 50% of the shares in COMPAS.
      Production of the new A-Class Sedan at the Mercedes-Benz Rastatt Plant in Germany will start in 2019. Rastatt is the leading plant for compact cars in the global production network. The plant is responsible for the global production control as well as quality and supplier management. In addition, it supports smooth start-ups at the other plants by training their employees and offering other services. In April, the new generation of A-Class compacts already began coming off the line in Rastatt. 
      The all-new 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan will celebrate its World Premiere in Brooklyn, NY in July 2018 and will go on sale in the U.S. in late 2018.
    • By William Maley
      A new report from Autocar says that Mercedes-AMG is proposing a new entry-level sports car to take on the Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman. The model is being presented as a indirect replacement to the slow selling SLC to Mercedes-Benz’s board of management. According to sources, the model is in the "conceptual stage" and needs approval from the board.
      But it is clear that AMG has given some thought if this project is given the green light. The design is said to have clear links to the upcoming Project One hypercar, and come in a coupe and convertible. For power, Autocar says the turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder that will be used in both the new A35 and A45 hot hatches. Output will range from around 300 to more than 400 horsepower. There is a possibility of the engine being placed in a mid-mounted setup.
       “A lot of thought has gone into how Mercedes-AMG can better leverage its success in motorsport, particularly Formula 1 and endurance racing. One idea is a sports car that is relatively attainable financially and ideally suited to track day running. But it is just an idea and not a committed project right now,” said a source.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
    • By William Maley
      A new report from Autocar says that Mercedes-AMG is proposing a new entry-level sports car to take on the Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman. The model is being presented as a indirect replacement to the slow selling SLC to Mercedes-Benz’s board of management. According to sources, the model is in the "conceptual stage" and needs approval from the board.
      But it is clear that AMG has given some thought if this project is given the green light. The design is said to have clear links to the upcoming Project One hypercar, and come in a coupe and convertible. For power, Autocar says the turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder that will be used in both the new A35 and A45 hot hatches. Output will range from around 300 to more than 400 horsepower. There is a possibility of the engine being placed in a mid-mounted setup.
       “A lot of thought has gone into how Mercedes-AMG can better leverage its success in motorsport, particularly Formula 1 and endurance racing. One idea is a sports car that is relatively attainable financially and ideally suited to track day running. But it is just an idea and not a committed project right now,” said a source.
      Source: Autocar
    • By dfelt
      https://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants-spain/spain-to-take-in-drifting-migrant-ship-aquarius-idUSKBN1J71GG
      Seems Reuters is reporting that 1 million plus Diesel auto's from Mercedes-benz has the illegal defeat software built into these newest auto's.
      VW has paid out $30 billion Euros over their Diesel gate and now it would seem Daimler AG will be looking at having to pay the same thing possibly.
  • My Clubs