You have $35k: Spec a (New) Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger

The premise is simple: you have $35,000 to spend on a muscle car/pony car of your choice. Which engine, trans, and trim package would get your money?

Fully loaded Camaro RS (2.0T or V6), Mustang (3.7L or 2.3EB), Challenger 3.6L?

Maybe you like all performance and no frills with a base SS, GT, R/T?

2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-07-760x450.jpg

71d3c42f79fa53410db19968d4486796.jpg

2015-dodge-challenger-coupe-price-specs-

If I can only pick from these three, I'd go Camaro, Challenger, Mustang....  I'm a big fan of the Chrysler LX cars, but the Camaro just has too much goodness.  I'd probably go for the V8 if I could get it under $35k... but I'm guessing it will price out higher than that. 

but otherwise I'd get a Chrysler 300S Hemi with zero options and the supplier discount... and I'll scoot in right under the $35k mark.

Easy pickins.

Camaro. V6. Auto.

I never was into manuals to begin with.

I prefer cruising.

So my pick is a tad weird as I too, love the Chrysler LX cars...and the Challenger is probably the better cruiser.

But the Camaro is the newer, hotter vehicle.

If V8s were thrown into the mix with no monetary limits...the Hellcat...but then again, the Camaro is new...and is awesome hotness.

(my personal inner thoughts out loud - I cant believe the turnaround Ive made concerning the Camaro)

First, I love these hypothetical kind of threads!

Second, For 35k I'd option a base mustang GT(32,300) with the performance package (2,500). As long as you don't add destination it keeps it under 35k. Also it'd be a Manual transmission. I'm currently "over" the manual transmission thing but if I had another mustang I couldn't not have a manual.

It would definitely be cool to have the newest camaro but I have a little love for Mustangs. And being able to get the performance package seals the deal.

If I couldn't fit the performance package in there I would say the 2.3 mustang would be a neat project kind of car to see what can be made out of the little mill but I'd want to option it out to maximize the 35k but adding all that weight kindof ruins some of what makes the little motor cool. So I would have to put that up against the v6 camaro. It would just be so hard to get a not v8 pony car. Even at 330hp and as quick as it will be.. It would still leave an opening in my heart for a v8 pony car.

I've driven the hellcats... they're just too much.  You've got to pay constant attention or you'll put it into a pole.

*gasp*

Too much?!?!?!

Blasphemy!!

I'm thinkin' a Camaro RS 3.6L myself. 6-speed manual to get the proper sport-coupe feel, and the performance package assuming there is one. 335 horsepower and (presumably) 30+ mpg highway is still a mind boggling concept to me. What's the downside? Even on the Mustang front, you have the 2.3EB with an available Ford performance tune for 2016. Sure, it sounds like a blender, but the updated chassis handles really well and some added power would go a long way.

How funny is it that the slowest choice in the group is the Challenger with 305 horsepower and an 8-speed auto capable of running high 14s? The thread wasn't meant to dump on any of the cars, but point out how awesome this class has become. I don't think anything beats the updated Challenger for comfort and racking up highway miles if that's your thing.

Being a GM guy, I know if you asked my family they would say Camaro would be my pick, but I have to say there is something about the look of the Challenger that wins over the Mustang and Camaro, even the refreshed one.

Not sure about trim packages, etc., but I'd get either the Camaro or Mustang ... those who know me know why. ;)

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"After so many dreams have fallen through, it's time that 1 came true" __ Earl Thomas Conley __ 'Nobody Falls Like A Fool'

Out of cars that are out right now- a 1SS 1LE.

Including upcoming models- a base 6MT Camaro SS.

1LE isn't under 35k! 

I think I'm done with manuals.. so.. 8speed it is in a LT1 powered base SS, in red hot, with Black interior with red inserts

in fact.. This:

chop_zpsndrxzq0f.jpg

Now I've noticed the "ss" badge in the upper grill and the lower grill.. Where is it actually going to be? I like it in the upper grill a lot more.

Ccap, that Camaro SS is photoshopped. The red Camaro SS that was unveiled had the SS badge in the lower grill and had a standard gold bowtie.

Damn. The one pictured looks way better in the small subtle kind of way.

1LE IS under 35K for me......Employee Pricing....

..touche'.. ;)  < That's a really wonky winky face fyi.

Edited by ccap41

Ccap, that Camaro SS is photoshopped. The red Camaro SS that was unveiled had the SS badge in the lower grill and had a standard gold bowtie.

Yeah, but it would take about 30 minutes to make the Camaro look exactly like the chop. I have never left a vehicle I've purchased untouched. Not one.

The Stingray for instance, within 2 days of owning it I had:

1) Blacked-out taillights

2) Blacked-out Chrome Strip on front

3) Put front Valance/Splitter on Carbon Flash

4) Tinted Windows

5) Put tinted overlays on all four marker lights and two rear reflectors

by week 1.. had tuned it and removed CAGS

As an enthusiast, I will never be happy with the way a car comes from the factory. There is always something I want to personalize. 

Yeah, but it would take about 30 minutes to make the Camaro look exactly like the chop. I have never left a vehicle I've purchased untouched. Not one.

4) Tinted Windows

As an enthusiast, I will never be happy with the way a car comes from the factory. There is always something I want to personalize. 

While I never leave anything I have factory, or the way I bought it. I've never overhauled something so quick!

Are you also not a huge fan of chrome?? I've been 'diping my chrome pieces in black. Chrome(not on wheels) always just looks cheap to me.

What % tint did you put on her? I will never have a vehicle without tinted windows anymore. Not after the first time I had m windows tinted, I'd never go back.

I'm pretty sure the whole Z06 front clip is unique, and I'm not sure if it would line up to the standard fenders either.

It's not. It's a direct fit, we've done for a customer.

Oops, well I feel foolish! Does the grille offer anything beyond cosmetics? It has cutouts for brake cooling, but I don't know if the Z06 has special ducts to take advantage of it.

4) Tinted Windows

While I never leave anything I have factory, or the way I bought it. I've never overhauled something so quick!

Are you also not a huge fan of chrome?? I've been 'diping my chrome pieces in black. Chrome(not on wheels) always just looks cheap to me.

What % tint did you put on her? I will never have a vehicle without tinted windows anymore. Not after the first time I had m windows tinted, I'd never go back.

I agree, Other than wheels, I hate chrome on my rides. Like Monochromatic for the most part. My Tint is illegal according to the state code and yet the amount of unmarked state troopers with limo black out windows all around is amazing. Never been pulled over for it either.

I'm pretty sure the whole Z06 front clip is unique, and I'm not sure if it would line up to the standard fenders either.

It's not. It's a direct fit, we've done for a customer.

Oops, well I feel foolish! Does the grille offer anything beyond cosmetics? It has cutouts for brake cooling, but I don't know if the Z06 has special ducts to take advantage of it.

Nah, it's just for looks.

4) Tinted Windows

I agree, Other than wheels, I hate chrome on my rides. Like Monochromatic for the most part. My Tint is illegal according to the state code and yet the amount of unmarked state troopers with limo black out windows all around is amazing. Never been pulled over for it either.

There aren't too many of us who dislike chrome. I would only put chrome on my vehicles if I owned a dark red or dark blue vehicle because black wheels look out of place to me on those dark colors.

Yeah, technically my windows are illegal as well.. but at legal levels it isn't really worth having done. I put 20% all the way around and I would never go lighter.  Unless I get hasseled about it I'll never change it or even think twice about it. I drive an Escape right now anyway..what kind of ruckus could I get into with that anyway??? hahaha

Edited by ccap41

^ When it comes to "vents" and badges and strips around the cabing(windows)..I just think that stuff looks tacky. I really don't mind chrome wheels it is all the other chrome stuff that drives me nuts. It was actually the first thing I did to my Escape was to paint the badges on the hatch and the two chrome bars that go through the grill black. Thank God Plasti Dip makes amateurs look like pros.

I can't quite get myself under the limit, though it's close.  I'm going Camaro.  I want the V8, so I'd be looking base SS with blue exterior and black interior, but ashamedly I'm not much good with a a manual and that automatic bumps me up to $35,795.  If I have to stay under the limit I'm at least going to make the drop to a lower engine worthwhile and load it a little and go for the 2LT with blue exterior still, but the black/blue interior this time.  Sticking with the automatic and getting the RS package just so I can have the rear spoiler.  That leaves me just enough room for the performance exhaust to come in right under the mark at $38,410.

I can't quite get myself under the limit, though it's close.  I'm going Camaro.  I want the V8, so I'd be looking base SS with blue exterior and black interior, but ashamedly I'm not much good with a a manual and that automatic bumps me up to $35,795.  If I have to stay under the limit I'm at least going to make the drop to a lower engine worthwhile and load it a little and go for the 2LT with blue exterior still, but the black/blue interior this time.  Sticking with the automatic and getting the RS package just so I can have the rear spoiler.  That leaves me just enough room for the performance exhaust to come in right under the mark at $38,410.

The Challenger R/T comes standard with their 8spd for like 31,800.. then you can still add some gadgets!

The Challenger R/T comes standard with their 8spd for like 31,800.. then you can still add some gadgets!

I love me that Hemi!

4) Tinted Windows

Just my thing. These cars, despite them being humble Chevys are quite high profile.. so people notice the hell out of 'em. I normally get right on it as soon as I buy 'em.. as U can see.

I do like chrome tho.. I think the Impala has a perfect amount. 

4) Tinted Windows

Just my thing. These cars, despite them being humble Chevys are quite high profile.. so people notice the hell out of 'em. I normally get right on it as soon as I buy 'em.. as U can see.

Well, in all honesty, I don't see the extra ~30K extra for the Z06 over a Z51 either, but the grille looks a million times better.

Doesn't the Impala have satin chrome plating or something so it's not as gaudy looking? I thought it was different than typical chrome trim somehow.

Yes.. I was referring to the grille work. I personally think the Impala is one of the best looking cars on the road.. and that's not because of my bias either

Yeah, but I like the Camaro's looks just a bit better.  If I wasn't going Camaro the Challenger would be my next option, though.

Doesn't the Impala have satin chrome plating or something so it's not as gaudy looking? I thought it was different than typical chrome trim somehow.

Yes.. I was referring to the grille work. I personally think the Impala is one of the best looking cars on the road.. and that's not because of my bias either

The Impala is a great looking car. I think that and the Regal GS are two of the best looking FWD vehicles on the road. RIght up there with the Mazda 3 and 6.

The Impala is a great looking car. I think that and the Regal GS are two of the best looking FWD vehicles on the road. RIght up there with the Mazda 3 and 6.

No doubt... but the Mazda 3??? Naaah. While I think that its interior and front and rear put it in a class slightly above mainstream compact.. the sides.. and overall profile leave me effin cold. I mean seriously... talk about overhang.. reminds me of a size 14 Chuck Taylor High-top

Converse-Shoes-Chuck-Taylor-All-Star-Bur

2014-mazda3-hatchback-profile-motion.jpg

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

Not sure about trim packages, etc., but I'd get either the Camaro or Mustang ... those who know me know why. ;)

Would you go with the turbo-4, V6, or stripper V8 model?

Hmmm ... hadn't really thought of it since I'm not in the market for a new car ... & probably never will be again.  HOWEVER, I'd probably either go with the V6 or a stripper V8 ... & of those 2, probably the V6.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"So much is left undone" __ Deep Blue Something __ 'Breakfast At Tiffany's'

4) Tinted Windows

Well, in all honesty, I don't see the extra ~30K extra for the Z06 over a Z51 either, but the grille looks a million times better.

Since I blacked mine out... I think that the are pretty much equal.. just different takes on style.

Anyway as for the price and bump in hp... Yeah if I were just buying now and not having to Trade, then I would have bought the Z06 from the start.

Hmmm ... hadn't really thought of it since I'm not in the market for a new car ... & probably never will be again.  HOWEVER, I'd probably either go with the V6 or a stripper V8 ... & of those 2, probably the V6.

I'm thinking the 2.0 is gonna be a fun little muthaeffer too tho... Basing my experience with the ATS 2.0

I'm thinking the 2.0 is gonna be a fun little muthaeffer too tho... Basing my experience with the ATS 2.0

I'm betting, based on the same experience, that the Camaro 2.0T will also be the most weight balanced selection you could make and thus the best handling assuming the suspensions are the same across the board.  It makes me wish that Chevy could to a sub-version that is specifically focused on handling rather than raw speed. 

I'd choose the Camaro with two different styles. If I went for a Camaro SS, it would be red, manual, and the only option I'd choose is the Rear Vision Package with Rear Park Assist and Rear Vision Camera. That leaves me $5 to spend on fuel. 

Otherwise, I'd do a Camaro 2LT in red with the RS Package, automatic, and sunroof for around $34k.