Random Thoughts Thread

I started collecting original automotive print ads when I was in 7th grade (a few thousand moons ago). At that point in time magazines were the thing and recycling wasn't mandated yet, and I may have spent a grand total of only $15-20 on some splashy late '50s GM ads. The little town I lived in had a 'recycling center'- a bunch of semi trailers you'd climb wodden steps and toss your paper grocery bags of magazine in, that they didn't clean out with any frequency. I would crawl thru them and load up my trunk with 'withdrawals', later returned what I didn't want.

I have them sorted by make, then year, then model hierarchy. Just idly took a look at eBay sold listings, picked a nice boring, non-collectible, like 1976 Chevrolet. These 2 popped up first:

chvtz.png

This is kinda amazing to me- I would NEVER have thought anyone would spend even a nickel for a Chevette ad. That's $7.87 averaged between the 2.

A few years ago, I did a collection recount; I have inventory sheets by brand. While I have no illusions I could sell them all, or even half probably (just the way things would go), I do currently have right about 6,500 print ads.

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 10:05 PM, balthazar said:

I believe the only Chrysler that went down was the '56 Norseman. I was just reading some interweb chatter about it & went off trying to find a dive pic, but the Andrea Doria is a notoriously difficult dive and I never found any interior pics. Did find this account:

In the mid-1990s, David Bright, a leading underwater researcher and explorer, wrote on his website about finding the remains of the car. "While looking for a lost diver, I had an opportunity to see the Norseman for myself in the cargo hold," he wrote. "Normally, all passenger cars were placed in the garage section of the Andrea Doria that is slightly aft of the collision point where the Stockholm impaled the Doria underneath the bow wing bridge. These cars would have been placed onto the Doria by use of a crane and meticulously parked in the garage and arranged strategically for stability. However, the Norseman was no passenger vehicle and was specially packed and treated with extra care. The Norseman was put into a wooden crate and placed in the number 2 cargo area.

"The crate had disintegrated and the car was in very, very poor condition. The ocean's salt water invaded the Norseman's metal and most of the car is rust, corrosion and a heap of indistinguishable junk. The tires are still there and have assisted to [sic] its identification.

A friend of mine told me that the Andrea Doria is considered "the Mt. Everest of dives."  When I first heard that, I thought, "What?  It's at about 220 to 240 feet below the ocean's surface."  Then, when you realize that most people who have this hobby or profession don't go to those depths, you realize how perilous it is.  I have heard that the wreck has been falling apart at an accelerating pace.  I think I saw some footage of one of those little James Bond type submarines hovering over it, and the ship's condition looked pretty bad.  One doesn't even want to think about how that whole situation would have played out if the Ile de France had not turned back upon hearing the distress call, as if it wasn't already a horrendous situation.  I don't know if fewer people are attempting to dive to check out the Andrea Doria given that it is now known that the wreck is in far worse condition.

Practically every video or journalistic piece on the Doria focuses on the disaster.  To date, this is the only one I am aware of that doesn't touch on that at all.  (I believe this dated music came from Fellini's film "La Dolce Vita.")  I know that the Italians were probably among the first to really taper the bows of their ocean liners, with other nations following suit in short order.

26 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I'd use that repeatedly. ^_^

- - - - -
Trinacriabob- have you read any of the preposterous talk about preserving/  performing minor restoration on the Titanic?? It's 12,500 feet down, BTW.

My Question to that is WHY? So many better things to do than that and I thought there was some rich guy in Australia that was building a 1:1 real life ship that he was planning to then do cruises with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_II Seems the Eccentric Billionaire is in Dementia and his company is closed as is the web site so his vision of Titanic II is dead.

China on the other hand has actually had a keel laying and is under construction. China loves the Titanic story and wants a ship for people to tour and check out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_replica_(Sichuan,_China)

Crazy stuff that is all I can say.

• Agree 1

Totally agree with this story on why Hydrogen makes Zero Sense!

https://phys.org/news/2006-12-hydrogen-economy-doesnt.html

HydrogenChart.jpg

Clearly the cost of making Hydrogen other than from 100% renewable power costs way more than all the other options out there.

@ocnblu Thought of you today and know you will enjoy these two links.

Top Ten Epic Electric Car Failures!

https://jalopnik.com/5810307/the-ten-most-epic-electric-car-failures/

Histories most Awesome Failed Electric Car!

https://jalopnik.com/5809904/whats-historys-most-awesome-failed-electric-car

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

Trinacriabob- have you read any of the preposterous talk about preserving/  performing minor restoration on the Titanic?? It's 12,500 feet down, BTW.

I hadn't heard about that.  What I did hear is about some guy who wants to build a replica of it, albeit new, and have it be a major cruise ship.  Since I don't like many of the retro rehashes in cars (Camaros, Challengers), I don't think I'd like the idea of a resuscitated Titanic (Titanic II, IIRC).  Let the original one be where it is.  It was a morbid enough situation.

Speaking of this, the bizarre situation and the advances in what engineers can calculate is the righting of the Costa Concordia so that it could be moved.  That said, I haven't looked up any news clips to see what has been happening with Schettino.

But, as it is, I have trouble stomaching the loss of the longer bows so they can move the forecastle all the way up front ... and chop off the decks at the rear of the ship so they can load them up with cabins.  It's all about the sharp pencil.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

2019 Ford Focus caught in the wild sorta. 34 pictures to enjoy of both the coupe 4 door sedan and the hatchback.

https://www.motor1.com/news/232653/2019-ford-focus-spied-without-camo/

2019-ford-focus-spy-photo.jpg

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

I had to look it up... 11hp and 28lb-ft of torque. How in the world would that move itself if it actually had 1543lbs in the back?!?!? 

Remember, 3rd world countries do not worry about safety. So I am sure they ditched the seatbelts for the added payload capacity. :roflmao: 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I had to look it up... 11hp and 28lb-ft of torque. How in the world would that move itself if it actually had 1543lbs in the back?!?!? 

Sorry there are two options. 11hp and 16hp but the torque is the same for both. 

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

2019 Ford Focus caught in the wild sorta. 34 pictures to enjoy of both the coupe 4 door sedan and the hatchback.

Remember, 3rd world countries do not worry about safety. So I am sure they ditched the seatbelts for the added payload capacity. :roflmao: 

Even if it could get going.. can the thing stop?!? Even if they also managed to give it adequate brakes.. they're 145/80R12LT tires. That's so damn skinny. Literally, I think that's Geo Metro-skinny. It is funny that they make an "LT" rated tire that small though. 

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I wish I could click the link but work computers don't allow facebook(for obvious reasons). 

Facebook :huh: the link is too motor1.com web site and it never took me to facebook to see the pictures. Weird if it is trying to do that for you. Interesting Social Media tag on the car though. #TimeToFocus

Have to agree with you that I am also surprised by the small LT rated tires and the whole 11 versus 16 hp upgrade thing. So weird.

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Facebook :huh: the link is too motor1.com web site and it never took me to facebook to see the pictures. Weird if it is trying to do that for you. Interesting Social Media tag on the car though. #TimeToFocus

Have to agree with you that I am also surprised by the small LT rated tires and the whole 11 versus 16 hp upgrade thing. So weird.

"Hit the embedded Facebook post below and you will be able to check out in full the all-new Focus from a recent photo shoot that took place Cascais, Portugal."

That's what the Motor1 link said for me. 

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

"Hit the embedded Facebook post below and you will be able to check out in full the all-new Focus from a recent photo shoot that took place Cascais, Portugal."

That's what the Motor1 link said for me. 

Guess Dell does not want us out there either as the firewall must totally block all Facebook crap from web pages as I see what you mean in the story it talks about the facebook embedded link but I truly see no such link in the story at all. I did go check out the other story from some foreign language news site and grabed these images.

2019-ford-focus-sedan-spy-photo.jpg

2019Focus.jpg

Carscoops had this photo  but it does not look like the one above that is real. Guess have to wait till I get home to look at the Facebook post unless someone else can grab them and post them here.

2019-Ford-Focus-ST-Carscoops.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Interesting shape..profile makes me think Mazda and maybe a bit of Alfa. 

Cubicle, can you see the Facebook link and follow the post to get more pictures and post them here so we can see it better? Work blocks Faceplant aka Facebook crap. :P 

27 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Interesting shape..profile makes me think Mazda and maybe a bit of Alfa. 

Something about it did give me an Alfa vibe as well. 

17 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'm seeing the 34 pics of the disguised car on the motor1.com site, don't see a Facebook link.   That blue one above from a Russian site is the only undisguised one I'm seeing.

We should have known that it was going to be #FakeNews. The colorful camo one has been out for awhile. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It was in the 20's Monday, yesterday around 40 and today it is supposed to hit 61 and it was pouring like spring this morning.. :palm:

Tell Mother Nature to make up her mind. Otherwise someone might just go ballistic on her. :fryingpan:

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Thank you!  I had been wondering when the next gen would be released and what it would look like.

Pretty good.  They just need to make damn sure that the ones they deliver with automatic transmissions either have their dual clutch technology worked out or that they revert to a more conventional type of transmission that won't get them the evil eye from so many consumer write-ups seen on the web.  I was more open to CVT but have sort of returned to liking step geared automatic transmissions.

I don't like any of the hatches, so I was checking out the sedan.  It has nice lines.  The front looks familiar.  The rear lamps are tiny, almost too much so.  As for the side profile, it resembles something GM-ish, but I can't put my finger on what.  They are really zeroing in on taking on the Cruze, I'm betting.  The Cruze outclassed the Focus with its last refresh.

I'd sure like to know what the interior and the dash layout and features look like.

Again, I think the thin rear lamps are too small for the available surface area.  I'm betting it's going to make for a much better driving experience than the current one.  The 2.0 L continues.

I'm trying not to think of Mazda 3s. 

The other thing is how many cars now no longer feature an inside fuel cap release.  I prefer some type of security.  I recall that the current Focus is this way.  Just push.  I also believe the current Cruze and Malibu are this way.  Give me an inside release lever.  I also like the fuel filler on the driver's side of the car.

That was one of the things I noticed last year going from my '00 Jeep to my '14 Jeep, but in reverse.  The old one didn't have a locking fuel release, the newer one has a dash button to release the door (but no fuel cap).    It took me a couple months to get used to that..

Well, if it looks closer to the blue Focus, it looks like a Mazda 3.....

Bigger issues are:

-Please tell me it has the 6-8 speed, and NO dual clutch. People already are running from this car in droves because of that...

-Built in China? Someplace?  Already heard that if it is china, you won't be able to custom order one.......

Though I do like the looks of it though....

Before digressing to the Andrea Doria discussion, I had meant to say something about the Golden Horseshoe.  When I am in places, I will always pick up the free real estate guides.  The Golden Horseshoe is the area along Lake Ontario in Canada going from Niagara Falls, ON to the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).  I could not believe the prices along the lake and houses all along there in general.  In Niagara Falls, NY, the houses are priced akin to Big Macs when they were conceived. 

I believe one of the ritzy areas of Toronto is named Rosedale.  There was a mansion for sale for $14 million CDN.  That's $11 million in U.S. funds.  It was a beautiful chateau styled mansion but you could buy that same house in Beverly Hills for that sort of money, providing it was on a standard sized lot in the flat part of B.H.  Then, I found a guide for real estate in Galveston.  There was a stunning new Mediterranean 3 story ... about 2,500 to 3,000 s.f., with the garages below and the house propped up ... and near the Gulf for a little over $700,000.  You're in Houston in 45 minutes.

I am almost sure there is a lot of upward price pressure in the GTA because it is probably the #1 destination for new grads, established career folks, immigrants, and foreign investment money in all of Canada.

Edited by trinacriabob