Random Thoughts Thread

You don't have to have screaming exhaust on an LS. You can make them virtually silent when cruising at 2000rpm or below. 

Retrofitting EV's just sounds sketchy. An EV that's a do-it-yiourself kit just doesn't give me confidence like an ICE does. Modern and OE, completely different story. I'm for those. I just don't like the idea of rigging up a system to a different car. 

50 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You don't have to have screaming exhaust on an LS. You can make them virtually silent when cruising at 2000rpm or below. 

Retrofitting EV's just sounds sketchy. An EV that's a do-it-yiourself kit just doesn't give me confidence like an ICE does. Modern and OE, completely different story. I'm for those. I just don't like the idea of rigging up a system to a different car. 

I can Respect that! 

EV powertrains are actually easier to install, setup and run. The controllers used are able to be managed via your own smartphone or a laptop. The hardest part would be the fashioning of a brackets to hold the battery packs, motor mounts and the change of how they drive the wheels. Plenty of places can do that for you, but I think not much different than if you did a conversion of a suburban to have a Duramax diesel. All ICE includes some custom fabrication, not much different than EVs.

EV West is a great company where you can check out the latest motors, controllers, batteries, etc.

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=3la266in6grmm3bvk6h3rchhr4

They also for a fee will do the conversion to your spec. Not a bad way to go if you are not a wrench turner.

They have 2 speed transmissions for VW/Porsche EV conversions. These are drop in replacements for existing autos.

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=464&osCsid=3la266in6grmm3bvk6h3rchhr4

Tesla Model S drive unit for sale as a complete drop in package. This unit will run up to 400 Volts and 400 kW, delivering more power at an affordable price than many of the other packages available. This kit includes the Tesla motor, inverter, gear box, dash display and control unit (EV Controls), throttle pedal, and 2 axles. 535HP, 750 lb-ft of torque.

YES, TESLA is selling their parts so people can use their Motors and Programming to convert to EV.

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=476&osCsid=3la266in6grmm3bvk6h3rchhr4

I also love this racing motor so if you wanted to, you could keep your auto the same, use an adapter kit to connect this motor to your existing transmission. Just replace the gas tank with a battery pack and add the controller of your choice. 420 HP and 560 LB-FT of torque using 150kW controllers. Double those figures if you use  300 kW controllers.

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=300&osCsid=3la266in6grmm3bvk6h3rchhr4

Plenty of solutions that allow you to pull the ICE engine, replace it with a EV motor connected to the Transmission, add your choice of controller and battery pack replacing the Gas Tank and ICE cpu.

This opens the world of options for custom rides using old iron and much lower insurance rates. :) 

57 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I keep waiting for photos of the Grand Cherokee, Trailblazer SS, Escalade and/or Suburban, post EV conversion.  When are you going to post those, dfelt?

Time and Money, my suburban is the project. 1994 GMC SLE to become eventually EV power with a Frunk! :) 

• Agree 1

Found this story on Jalopnik and have to say I so totally agree with the crazy auction prices on old muscles cars and custom mods.

https://jalopnik.com/stop-paying-so-much-for-silly-cars-1822311324

$770,000 for a 1969 ZL1 Camaro is flat out crazy as is the $127,000+ for a Buick GNX. :stupid:

Just now, dfelt said:

Found this story on Jalopnik and have to say I so totally agree with the crazy auction prices on old muscles cars and custom mods.

https://jalopnik.com/stop-paying-so-much-for-silly-cars-1822311324

$770,000 for a 1969 ZL1 Camaro is flat out crazy as is the $127,000+ for a Buick GNX. :stupid:

Yeah, very rare cars but way over the top pricing.... as far as a Camaro, I'd rather have the new ZL1 1LE...much wilder styling and way more performance.  But there are a lot of rich old Baby Boomers paying these prices at the auctions...will the prices come down in 20 years when they are out of the game? 

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Yeah, very rare cars but way over the top pricing.... as far as a Camaro, I'd rather have the new ZL1 1LE...much wilder styling and way more performance.  But there are a lot of rich old Baby Boomers paying these prices at the auctions...will the prices come down in 20 years when they are out of the game? 

Must be reliving the years when they were making money and ignoring the auto scene.

I do wonder if the cost of the autos now will ever be recovered. Must really love their old iron to pay such crazy prices.

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It's still the starter.  It's just been sitting in my garage for 2 months waiting for me to fix it.   I gave up waiting for decent weather and shipped it off. 

OUCH, that will hurt the pocket book to have the dealer fix it or do you have a solid certified mechanic at some other garage?

Just now, dfelt said:

OUCH, that will hurt the pocket book to have the dealer fix it or do you have a solid certified mechanic at some other garage?

I don't use the dealer. I have a local mechanic who I trust to do the work.  They aren't the cheapest, but they're reliable and they warranty their work.  I already bought the parts since I was planning on doing it myself, so that will soften the blow a bit.

The stupid starter is under the intake manifold though. 

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Looks like a steep driveway the rollback truck is parked on..bet that's fun in the winter w/ ice.

Yeah, that's not a photo distortion.... that's how steep the driveway is. 

And now you know why I'm not allowed anything but AWD for my daily drivers.

• Agree 2

The hillside lots and the preponderance of one car garages were a big turn off in the Pittsburgh area when I was house hunting there in 2016.   I recall doing a walk through on one house where the only flat part of the backyard was about a 30x30ft area that was higher than the roof of the house--at the back door was a wall and steep steps leading up to it.   

20 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't use the dealer. I have a local mechanic who I trust to do the work.  They aren't the cheapest, but they're reliable and they warranty their work.  I already bought the parts since I was planning on doing it myself, so that will soften the blow a bit.

Cool, so did they have to drag it out of the garage or where you able to get it to start so you could back it out?

Sucks that they put the started in such a stupid place. Reminds me of some old auto's where the oil plug was facing the exhaust pipe and if you let it flow out it would hit and could if hot ignite. 

Engineers can build some amazing things but also really screw up basic stuff.

Thanks for sharing Drew.

Just now, dfelt said:

Cool, so did they have to drag it out of the garage or where you able to get it to start so you could back it out?

Sucks that they put the started in such a stupid place. Reminds me of some old auto's where the oil plug was facing the exhaust pipe and if you let it flow out it would hit and could if hot ignite. 

Engineers can build some amazing things but also really screw up basic stuff.

Thanks for sharing Drew.

It rolls out of the garage under gravity power just by putting it in neutral.  So we rolled it out, and then did a winch/gravity/winch/gravity/winch sideways 

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

Supply & demand. Yes- prices may well level off in the next 20 years, but if a ferrari can bring well into 7 figures, the ZL1 is a pretty good deal @ $770K.

- - - - -

What the hell is it spinning under the intake?

Edited by balthazar

'47-49 Delcar delivery vanette.
wheelbase : 60"
overall : 102"
width : 56"
height : 78"
turning circle : 16'
Wheels : 16"
curb weight : 1200 lbs
cargo volume / capacity : 1100 lbs/ 110 CF

Reportedly less than 12 made, none known to exist. No modern internet pics found. Give it just a teense of decoration; some sort of simple line in the side and a emblem up front, maybe a few louvers, and I'd love to drive one.

47 Delcar.jpg

Yeah, a starter motor is not a major repair unless it is a PITA to get to.  Remember, the stater motor on a Northstar Cadillac is under the intake manifold as well, likely in that example because the engine was so yuge there was no room for it elsewhere in GM's FWD chassis at the time.

Hmmm... I do believe the Colorado and Canyon are due for a styling refresh for 2019, it would be a perfect time to update them with all the other pickup truck news that's flying now, and they're 4 years in without a major style shakeup... :scratchchin:

Edited by ocnblu

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Yeah, a starter motor is not a major repair unless it is a PITA to get to.  Remember, the stater motor on a Northstar Cadillac is under the intake manifold as well, likely in that example because the engine was so yuge there was no room for it elsewhere in GM's FWD chassis at the time.

Yup. Or under the intake manifold on a 4 cylinder Honda. I wonder what their excuse was. 

The alternator is a major project too.

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

'47-49 Delcar delivery vanette.
wheelbase : 60"
overall : 102"
width : 56"
height : 78"
turning circle : 16'
Wheels : 16"
curb weight : 1200 lbs
cargo volume / capacity : 1100 lbs/ 110 CF

Reportedly less than 12 made, none known to exist. No modern internet pics found. Give it just a teense of decoration; some sort of simple line in the side and a emblem up front, maybe a few louvers, and I'd love to drive one.

47 Delcar.jpg

You do like the most austere vehicles.

In a nutshell, I like the unconventional. Chalk it up to some degree of automotive boredom, perhaps.
For some reason, I love really immense vehicles and really tiny ones. But unusual proportions always catch my eye. My '40 has no other choice but to be austere- I'm horny over it's lines & proportions.

I slip-slapped this "4-door coupe" together in 60 seconds- I'd drive it!

eaae7d84aeb37a639d3065fcef22a045.jpg

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am really surprised that nothing has leaked yet for the New York auto show then it is very early as that show is March 30th to April 8th.

So other than Cadillac, I wonder what else GM might show off at that show? :scratchchin:

34 minutes ago, balthazar said:

When is the Sierra rumored to show?

I have searched and not found any firm dates, but we only have the following shows left:

Baltimore 2/8/18 - 2/11/18 I expect nothing here.

Dallas 2/14/18-2/18/18 I can see the Sierra being launched here in Texas. GMC product launch makes sense to me.

Minneapolis/St.Paul 3/10/18-3/18/18 I expect nothing here.

Atlanta 3/21/18-3/25/18

New York 3/30/18 - 4/8/18 I expect Cadillac, might have GMC too.

Birmingham 4/12/18 - 4/15/18

Austin 4/20/18 - 4/22/18 

Nothing at the last 3 as they have never been release shows.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

I have searched and not found any firm dates, but we only have the following shows left:

Dallas 2/14/18-2/18/18 I can see the Sierra being launched here in Texas. GMC product launch makes sense to me.

Atlanta 3/21/18-3/25/18

Austin 4/20/18 - 4/22/18 

Chicago February 10–19, 2018

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

*cough* St. Louis! *cough*

Ours is shet though.. VW is the only european make and they rarely have much super cool stuff. I really hope they have the new Ram and Silverado though. 

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Chicago February 10–19, 2018

Weird, but I can see maybe the release being there and I wonder why JD Powers on their 2017-2018 auto show list does not list Chicago. I totally forgot about it. 

Maybe the crime families did not pay JD off! :P 

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

*cough* St. Louis! *cough*

Ours is shet though.. VW is the only european make and they rarely have much super cool stuff. I really hope they have the new Ram and Silverado though. 

Weird, must be the size thing as this is not on the JD Powers auto show list either. :scratchchin:

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Weird, but I can see maybe the release being there and I wonder why JD Powers on their 2017-2018 auto show list does not list Chicago. I totally forgot about it. 

Maybe the crime families did not pay JD off! :P 

Weird, must be the size thing as this is not on the JD Powers auto show list either. :scratchchin:

Makes sense. It's real small in comparison. I think Cadillac is the only luxury auto maker there.

Okay, not true. Lincoln, Acura and Infiniti have been there.

Here is the press release schedule for Chicago.  There won't be releases at any of the other shows that @dfelt mentions.

Toyota

Ford

Volkswagen

Hyundai

Nissan

Slingshot

Lunch

Subaru

Jeep and Ram

Steel Market Development

Motorweek Driver Awards

Fiat

Volkswagen Breakfast

National Road Safety

BMW

Mopar

What Drives Her

Acura

Hyundai

Kia

Mazda

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Here is the press release schedule for Chicago.  There won't be releases at any of the other shows that @dfelt mentions.

Toyota

Ford

Volkswagen

Hyundai

Nissan

Slingshot

Lunch

Subaru

Jeep and Ram

Steel Market Development

Motorweek Driver Awards

Fiat

Volkswagen Breakfast

National Road Safety

BMW

Mopar

What Drives Her

Acura

Hyundai

Kia

Mazda

What about New York, will Cadillac not have any releases or concepts revealed there?

I get non of the others due to size and lack of prestige, but I also wonder like balthazar, when and where will GM unveil the 2019 Sierra? That is why I thought maybe Texas would be the point to show off GMC.

2 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Zilch from GM...

There has to be Cadillac at New York I would think, that leaves just GMC release of their 2019 truck and anything else at some show.

Just learned that the richest woman in Germany is Susanne Klatten, 53 yrs old worth 20.2 Billion and she inherited BMW with her brother as they own together 50% of the company. They also used to own Atlanta AG a pharmaceutical company but they sold it off last year for $6 billion dollars. Now just focused on BMW.

Interesting, :scratchchin:

17 hours ago, dfelt said:

Atlanta 3/21/18-3/25/18

Austin 4/20/18 - 4/22/18 

I was planning to go to NY Auto Show but tomorrow opens Philly Auto show which is relatively small without any unveilings but it has all major new cars I believe. 

https://www.phillyautoshow.com/

Since I work not too far from Philly (about 40 min) and since it will be more easily accessible than NY  I probably will go next week.   

• Agree 1

@ocnblu and @daves87rs

Talk about a shock when you search beef curtains. :blink:

440117.jpg

:roflmao: 

1 hour ago, ykX said:

I was planning to go to NY Auto Show but tomorrow opens Philly Auto show which is relatively small without any unveilings but it has all major new cars I believe. 

https://www.phillyautoshow.com/

Since I work not too far from Philly (about 40 min) and since it will be more easily accessible than NY  I probably will go next week.   

Cool, look forward to hearing about it and your thoughts on various models. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1