Random Thoughts Thread

16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Yo Drew- tell us what we're looking at here!

77 OT.png

High trim Toronado XSR with both the wrap around rear glass and the electric retractable t-top. Can't tell the year without seeing the front. But '74 to '78 are safe bets.

1977-oldsmobile-toronado-xsr.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, dfelt said:

:unsure: End of year performance reviews, 

I hate these as they really can be more political than actual facts I feel sometimes.

Yep, I sadly know that firsthand. One of the major reasons I want out of the field I am working now. It can get crazy....seen things that really should not happen at a job, but does....

57 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

High trim Toronado XSR with both the wrap around rear glass and the electric retractable t-top. Can't tell the year without seeing the front. But '74 to '78 are safe bets.

Read elsewhere that the electric T-tops was 1977, and only 2 such cars were built, this silver one & a more commonly photographed red car (both survive). Then the supplier pitched to Cadillac and got their remaining 7 sub-assemblies installed in '78 Eldorados.

• Agree 3

The T-Tops in my budd's '97 Z/28 had a spot in the back to store them. I assume the Vette was the same. Targa top is another story and that's a good point that you can't just walk out to your car in parking lot on a nice day and decide to take the targa top out. 

They just look sooooo much better than a convertible when "not in use".

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

The T-Tops in my budd's '97 Z/28 had a spot in the back to store them. I assume the Vette was the same. Targa top is another story and that's a good point that you can't just walk out to your car in parking lot on a nice day and decide to take the targa top out. 

They just look sooooo much better than a convertible when "not in use".

Agree, my wifes friend Z28 also has the T tops and they built in a special place to store them in the back.

Targa is cool, but also a pain to just take off and go, so I agree with Cubical that I would take a sky roof over a targa since so many now open up so big. 

Yet, I would still like a T Top on my SUV. That would be awesome! :metal: 

Seems the Auto Industry could be in for losses on loans due to overvalued trade ins to allow people to move into a newer fancier auto.

Good news that I see is that buying a CPO auto means we can get a loaded auto for cheap.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-25/underwater-on-your-trade-in-no-problem-u-s-car-lenders-say

Love this write up on the 1990's 454SS. @ocnblu You will want a modern day version of this baby I bet!

https://jalopnik.com/no-carmaker-has-the-guts-to-make-a-chevrolet-454-ss-tod-1822428167

Basic cab, quiet exhaust and the ability to leave everyone in the dust. :metal: 

230 HP 385 LB-FT of torque and only $18,295 then. :P 

See the source image

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

46 Intr.jpg

This is a fascinating photo to me. Obviously: a '57 Chevy. Anyone know the other car?

I thought that was how Ocnblu drove his parents auto :P 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ocnblu said:

Reminds me of an early sketch of the new-for'73 GM intermediates, which were supposed to come out in '72.

I could see that..definitely something Colonade about it...the big curves, long overhangs, 6 light greenhouse...

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

'47 Tucker Torpedo prototype being built in 1:1 scale for the first time ever.

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 8.13.20 PM.png

Who is building this project? Do they have a website covering the build?

• Agree 1

Interesting take as a study is underway to better grasp the generational changes in today's auto buyers. Good read on how to deal with the generational differences especially when they walk in the door of a dealership. You approach their take on auto's differently from one generation to another.

http://wardsauto.com/news-analysis/new-auto-research-looks-generational-differences

Going down the list of generations, his take and comments on each are as follows:

• |The Baby Boomers, born between 1946 and 1964, were indulged by their Depression Generation parents, who wanted a better life for their kids. Consequently, Boomers grew up “selfish and competitive.” Despite their advancing age, they remain a force in the auto market, responsible for up to 45% of new-car purchases. “Boomers will be important in the marketplace for years to come.”
  • tBorn between 1965 and 1977, Generation X members were “the latch-key kids.” Many had divorced parents. They grew up in the 1970s when the U.S. saw some relatively turbulent times, from the Watergate scandal to oil embargoes. “It’s a generation that wants to fit in rather than stand out. They are conservative, practical and skeptical. It’s a don’t-look-at-me generation.”
  • ÉGeneration Y, born between 1978 and 1984, has garnered much attention lately, “as they should because they are 77 million strong.” These are the Boomers’ “pampered and protected kids.” Unlike previous generations, their schooling focused a lot on self-esteem and computer literacy. Their respect for their parents narrows the generation gap. Because of the economy, some Gen Yers struggle in the job market. That affects the level of their auto consumerism.

Awesome read on how the tax cut to corporations gave Detroit auto companies some needed cash for the next 5 years to help with development of alternative powered autos.

http://wardsauto.com/industry/us-tax-cuts-provide-detroit-three-development-cash-they-will-need-it

Chart shows how the US companies are the ones that lost the most in car sales.

browne%20U.S.-Passenger-Car-Sales.png

On the other hands, the news is all about Hybrids and EVs but sales numbers are still low till more options are out there.

browne%20U.S.-Electric-Hybrid-Sales.png

• Agree 2

On 1/28/2018 at 7:18 PM, ocnblu said:

LOL look at this midget ninja.  HAHA neato!

f1249b3f523dde3a1eda6a6ae32.jpg

Ohhh noes, someone left a giant raisin out in the sun for too long and it wilted...

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

UH OHHHH @ocnblu!! Hybrid and EV sales are on a rise! 

As they will be from now until doomsday.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/25/2018 at 11:10 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

One of these in white sat in a parking lot for years next to one of the electrical supply houses here in Columbus. Parked with a bunch of other older cars. Suspect sadly they were all scrapped when the lot changed hands.

• Sad 1

On 1/25/2018 at 8:10 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Just imagine if this beautiful baby was EV powered. :D

Talk about a freakin huge Frunk in addition to the awesome Trunk on this baby! :metal: 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

You only see potential in ONE way, apparently. ;)

Nope, I see all Potential, but in this case this is not a car that TO ME has to be kept ICE, It has plenty of potential at being converted to many other powertrains! :P 

Imagen if it had a better suspension and a Duramax under the hood. :scratchchin: Smoken the Prius on the street! :P 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dfelt said:

Who is building this project? Do they have a website covering the build?

Here's a couple articles- maybe the link is among them:
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/?p=131622

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/09/05/rob-idas-tucker-torpedo-to-debut-at-aaca-museums-night-at-the-museum/

Facebook pages:
https://www.facebook.com/PrestonTuckerLlc/?ref=br_rs

https://www.facebook.com/rob.ida.7

• Agree 1