Random Thoughts Thread

24 minutes ago, balthazar said:

It’s true the vast majority of people never use the max capabilities of their vehicle often. Just like the vast majority of BE drivers never go 0-60 in 4 secs. 😉
But in a world where products are promoted on specs, the numbers both resonate, and move product.

Yet even with a real world show of pulling more than 1 million pounds, the Ford F150 Lighting is sold out for the next two years of production and they even moved up the production totals to 600,000 within the next two years. I think the bulk of people will be very happy with a BEV pickup and 10,000 pounds of towing capacity. I would have to think based on what Ford and GM has shown that their BEV system for the trucks can tow way more than the current released numbers for the first year. 

I would eve go as far to say we will see a considerable bump in tow capacity every year for the BEV Pickups.

Aviator by Lincoln now has a Jet package, pretty much body color molding and everything else is blacked out.

2022 Lincoln Aviator with new Jet Package_07.jpg

PICTURES & Press release

Quote:

Lincoln debuts a new Jet Appearance Package for the 2022 Lincoln Aviator, bringing striking elegance to the forefront with high-gloss black accents and sleek new features.

Lincoln designers tuned in to what clients said they wanted in creating the new Jet Package, which builds on the success of the Monochromatic Reserve Package, replacing chrome accents with high-gloss black design elements.

Featuring black-painted 22-inch wheels, a blacked-out Lincoln grille, black skull caps, roof rails and lower fascia, as well as body-colored lower cladding and wheel lip moldings, Aviator Jet Package offers clients a new way to personalize their vehicle with an on-trend design theme.

“Jet Package offers a clean, dramatic look that accentuates the presence of Aviator on the road,” said Earl Lucas, Lincoln exterior chief designer. “The black accents emphasize the strong lines and sleek look of the exterior design.”

The new Lincoln Jet package will come on four color options including Pristine White, Infinite Black, Silver Radiance and Burgundy Velvet, and will be available early next year on the Aviator Reserve series.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

It’s true the vast majority of people never use the max capabilites of their vehicle often. Just like the vast majority of BE drivers never go 0-60 in 4 secs.

True to a point but I am willing to bet serious money that there are far more folks flooring the gas pedal to get 0-60 than there are folks towing 30K lbs.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Was just cruising the net and hit this story of crazy things Mechanics have come across. I cannot even imagine how one can let an oil filter get this bad.

image.png

How did the Animal get there?

image.png

The whole Ukraine / Russia thing is going to make this year interesting.

Did not know the following till this morning:

Russia accounts for:

• OIL & Natural Gas
    • 12% of the world's oil production
    • 1/3rd of the natural gas Europe consumes.
  • Minerals
    • 49% of Global Nickel production
    • 42% of Global Palladium production
    • 33% of Global Diamonds production
    • 26% of Global Aluminum production
    • 13%% of Global Platinum production
    • 7% of Global Steel production
    • 4% of Global Copper production

Ukraine accounts for:

• Uranium - 30% of the consumption by Russia and local Ukraine energy production come from this country.
  • OIL & Natural Gas - Has huge undeveloped reserves, 26th ranked in the world
  • Minerals - 2% of world steel production and 6% of world mineral production
    • Manganese
    • Iron ore
    • Bituminous and anthracite coal
    • Brown coal
    • Titanium ore
    • bauxite
    • nepheline
    • alunite
    • mercury
    • ozokerite
    • potassium
    • rock salt
    • phosphorites
    • sulfur
  • Farming
    • beets
    • vegetable oil
    • sunflower seeds
    • meats
    • grains
    • dairy
    • fish

So why am I posting this, NO NOT POLITICAL. Yes, we all can see that there are natural items that Russia would want to control and consume from Ukraine.

Automotive is the focus here as Palladium, Titanium and other associated minerals come from these two countries that are used in auto's and this is an indication that we can get used to an auto shortage for a few more years as the semiconductor chip shortage should be expected to extend.

Heightened tension in Ukraine to hit carmakers, secondary batteries (koreatimes.co.kr)

Food is the other big thing, but the supply chain is about to get worse till local production ramps up as more countries look to bring back production of many components to reduce reliance on either Russia & Ukraine (Raw Materials) or China (Raw materials and finished production products)

How a Russia invasion of Ukraine, the 'breadbasket of Europe,' could hit supply chains (msn.com)

U.S. sanctions over Russian attack on Ukraine could roil financial markets - The Washington Post

Renault, VW, Stellantis, others potentially exposed to sanctions on Russia | Automotive News (autonews.com)

Russia Downplays Trade Sanctions’ Impact on Auto Industry | WardsAuto

Rio Tinto sees US sanctions on Russia potentially disrupting aluminium supply (miningweekly.com)

We also could see issues with the plane industry as both Boeing and Airbus use titanium from Russia in their planes and as this story states, content is 14-15% of the plane. 

Sanctions against Russia lead to the collapse of the American industry – Arabic newspaper -Profile News

End result is our love of the auto industry will have us see potential shortages till new mines in other more stable places / countries come online along with production of U.S. made semiconductors.

Crazy times we live in.

36 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

If you remove the brow ridge, that front end reminds me of where Buick went in '73 for the Century..

1973_buick_century-pic-59570-1600x1200.jpeg

I see what ya mean about the headlights.

Seems Ford is leaking info about the Ranger Raptor to some news sites.

Ford Ranger Raptor Gearing Up for United States - The Truth About Cars

Update:

2023 Ford Ranger Raptor First Look: Midsize Truck, Full-Size Aggro (motortrend.com)

Seems more tech details at this story but nothing on pricing.

1 minute ago, David said:

Seems Ford is leaking info about the Ranger Raptor to some news sites.

Ford Ranger Raptor Gearing Up for United States - The Truth About Cars

I wonder if it will be $71k like the Bronco Raptor. (plus $20k dealer markup).

Seems Hyundai / Kia is now telling Dealers to knock off the 2nd sticker of adjusted market value or face loosing access to hot selling models.

Even Hyundai Thinks It’s Ridiculous to Markup Hyundais This Much (thedrive.com)

• Like 1

This just re-enforces why states need to let auto companies compete directly with dealers.

Kia Dealers Are Going To Kill The EV6 (jalopnik.com)

Update: West Virginia Dealership association got the idiot politicians to submit a bill that would essentially kill Tesla and Force all auto manufactures to stop OTA. These idiots fear the future, future tech and change. I hope people wake up to this stupid ignorance. Why should anyone have to pay a dealer to get software updates / improvements to their auto!

West Virginia Law Would Restrict Vehicle OTA Updates To Dealerships (motor1.com)

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I wonder if it will be $71k like the Bronco Raptor. (plus $20k dealer markup).

I would not be surprised to see it as a $45 to $55 K auto with an attempted $20K dealer markup.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Nothing to see here. Just a bucket list car, is all.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/bartonsville-57chevy-handyman-wagon/7449735558.html

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 8.00.46 PM.png

WOW lots of love went into that auto. Will have to be a special person to buy it and pay $49,000

You can now have your own GT40 officially approved by Ford, 800hp, 560 lb-ft of torque to the rear wheels with a 0-60 mph of 3.x seconds.

800 HP Everatti GT40 Brings the Ford vs. Ferrari Legend to the EV Era (cleantechnica.com)

Just a killer silent weapon.

image.png

• Agree 1

Wow- they really screwed up the body proportions on that re-creation (it's certainly not a 'continuation of the original').

OR..... you could buy an ACTUAL, recognized continuation GT40 from SuperPerformance, still go 0-60 in the mid 3-sec range, plus get all the visceral sound and feel of a V8 supercar, instead of an annoying, anemic, whining sound. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 10.59.04 AM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, David said:

You can now have your own GT40 officially approved by Ford, 800hp, 560 lb-ft of torque to the rear wheels with a 0-60 mph of 3.x seconds.

800 HP Everatti GT40 Brings the Ford vs. Ferrari Legend to the EV Era (cleantechnica.com)

Just a killer silent weapon.

image.png

It would be so disappointing to drive something this beautiful and have zero engine/exhaust noises. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It would be so disappointing to drive something this beautiful and have zero engine/exhaust noises. 

Maybe it is an age thing, but as I have gotten older, I have come to not like noise inside the auto and even when I drive, I hate all the kids who have put fart cans on their 4 bangers to make noise. I think one can truly still enjoy the performance of an EV supercar. I would say none of us including @balthazar can honestly say annoying, anemic, whining sound since we have not been in the electric GT40 and we only have limited examples right now of BEVs.

I will wait final judgement till we actually have these on the road and more people are driving them.

Seems at the Stellantis Feb 23rd 2022 yearly reporting live broadcast, they announced that Fiat would go pure electric in Europe starting 2027 with select markets having a few ICE / Hybrids left over but would be 100% electric sales only by 2030. Tried to look at the report on Stellantis, but they have not released the recording yet.

Fiat Wants To Only Sell Electric Cars In Europe After 2027 (insideevs.com)

Press Releases | Stellantis

Seems Hybrid and Electric is the total focus on the Fiat Media Page.

New 500 | Fiat | Stellantis

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Pininfarina styling proposal of a 'Buick Lido' (not penned by Buick) ~ 

Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 11.55.39 PM.png

Some things I like about it, but otherwise for the over all style, very blah.

26 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 10.03.07 PM.png

Those are just crazy prices. Glad some rich people have that kind of coin to throw around.

21 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Who knows what this is? 

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 7.55.04 AM.png

Is that not an Add on AC unit for the auto?

Very cool to see that the Major Technical Schools are offering EV Certified training with heavy input from the OEM Auto Companies.

Charged EVs | Universal Technical Institute to add EV repair training to its Ford certification program - Charged EVs

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

For those lamenting that Chevy 'is becoming a truck brand'

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 7.55.45 AM.png

Fascinating to think that 61 years ago Chevy really only had three lines of cars--Corvette, Corvair, and full size.  They have the same amount today--Corvette, Spark, Malibu..though I suspect the Spark and Malibu will be gone soon.

Edit: I forgot about the Camaro...it's so invisible anymore.  So they have 4 car lines currently.

Edited by Robert Hall

I do remember at my first job in the late 90s in Colorado Springs the director of my department (a guy about 45 then) had a silver 1950 Packard 4dr w/ a straight 8...saw the engine once and rode in it, very smooth.    It was a his grandfather's car, all original in very clean shape.  His daily was a mid 90s Infiniti Q45 in silver also.