Random Thoughts Thread

Stand-alone GMC dealer, still in business

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 10.14.54 AM.png

Now... I bought replacement factory fuel lines for my '04 2500HD from a different stand-alone GMC dealer in NJ maybe 10 years ago... will see if I can pull the receipt and ID - see if it's still there. It wasn't this place (I went there in person).

Edited by balthazar

On 3/5/2022 at 5:38 PM, balthazar said:

You were in auto shop at age 10?

Staring in 6th grade we had autoshop which I loved. Was great to be able to learn and do things that my dad had taught me in his own business and be able to do them. Way cooler than the art classes other took then in 1979.

2 hours ago, David said:

Staring in 6th grade we had autoshop which I loved. Was great to be able to learn and do things that my dad had taught me in his own business and be able to do them. Way cooler than the art classes other took then in 1979.

Neat...my high school had auto shop classes, but I was on the college prep/AP track and couldn't take them.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

3C2D55A7-5F93-40EB-A193-09B770499CE7.jpeg

Very cool photo.  I like the effect.  I've seen this sort of photo before, usually looking upward.

5 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Neat...my high school had auto shop classes, but I was on the college prep/AP track and couldn't take them.

And I'm sure you went to a public high school.  I split my time about equally between 2 Catholic ones (the first a prep one in a not so great neighborhood and the second a regular archdiocesan one in a good neighborhood) and NO ONE talked to me about college tracks and whatnot.  The counselors we had were incompetent.  This one b!+ch in the attendance office gave me one of my two detentions in H.S. because I got there an hour late one day when I had to take my parents' new car to the dealership for warranty work since they both worked (so they could send me to Catholic schools). The second one was once a popular one for kids, but no longer is and is fading.  The second school also did not prepare me for college as well as it could have, even though I got through it and did graduate with the lower tier of 3 tiers of honors.

• Agree 1

Very random (and funny ... we can all use funny these days) thought:

When I am on my profile page, I have one very dated and inactive warning for some heavy duty arguing with ocnblu almost 13 years ago!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Very random (and funny ... we can all use funny these days) thought:

When I am on my profile page, I have one very dated and inactive warning for some heavy duty arguing with ocnblu almost 13 years ago!

Yea I guess once Drew gives you detention it stays for life as I have a couple. :P 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, David said:

Very cool read as people research and look into the electric auto past.

Detroit Electric Model 82 Brougham: Examining a 102-Year-Old, American-Built EV - autoevolution

Go ahead and make an '82 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ coupe or '82 Cutlass Supreme Brougham coupe electric for me.  I can dig it.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I get along with everyone!

- - - - -
'22 MCEs are hitting the lots

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 6.43.26 PM.png

Hmmm...moar chrome, and different gills.. looks like they integrated the bumper with the fender cleanly, rather than that weird gap for the gills previously...not sure why they put the bowtie up so high, looks better in the center of the grille, IMO..

Edited by Robert Hall

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

I get along with everyone!

- - - - -
'22 MCEs are hitting the lots

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 6.43.26 PM.png

This is still the ugliest nose job Chevrolet has done on a truck to me. The only thing that surpasses this for Ugly is the Butt Ugly HD versions.

image.png

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, David said:

This is still the ugliest nose job Chevrolet has done on a truck to me. The only thing that surpasses this for Ugly is the Butt Ugly HD versions.

image.png

At least it has some chrome to offset the ugly...better than the nasty work truck versions w/ all the black..

These trucks are so thick and tall today.  Visually, I think they would look better with maybe 4-6 inches sectioned from them.   The obesity makes the classic GMT-400 and older generations look clean and svelte.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

I've not been a fan of the Chevy HDs, but the GMC HDs are pretty cool (tho not as cool as the 1500s ;)

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.19.04 AM.png

MCE '22 GMC 1500s are showing up in inventory, too. I also like the '19-21s better here : 

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 11.58.52 PM.png

Interesting in the lone teaser about the upcoming GMC EV Truck, seems there is a connection to be tied into the GMC-E truck and the ICE Truck.

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

I've not been a fan of the Chevy HDs, but the GMC HDs are pretty cool (tho not as cool as the 1500s ;)

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.19.04 AM.png

MCE '22 GMC 1500s are showing up in inventory, too. I also like the '19-21s better here : 

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 11.58.52 PM.png

So thick (thicc?) with weird details and blingage.  Like why the weird slots between the hood and grille trim? 

Here is a truck for @balthazar and everyone else that likes a wicked fast built ride.

image.pngimage.png

Plenty of pictures and info on this family built ride.

The C10 Slayer is Built for Boost (theblock.com)

Seems to have all catalog parts for over 1,000 hp right out of the crate with parts bolted on.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Always good to look at the big picture

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 9.31.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 9.31.24 PM.png

With an average salary in the high-tech industry being from $75,000 to over $300,000 based on job/skill set, it still is crazy that people are spending so much for a home here in Seattle. Average prices are over $1 million if you feel you have to be in Seattle or Bellevue, but north or south you are still in the $600,000 - $900,000 range and even when you go 1 1/2 hrs north, your homes are still in the $600,000 range. Truly hard to figure out how anyone that does not like fiscally tight to save for 10 years for a decent down payment can afford to buy a house here anymore. I bitch about my Mortgage and then I hear from coworkers who have mortgage rates 3 times mine. 😐 

OUCH, while we all have our good and bad experiences with Dealerships, seems Ford has allot of work cut out for itself to improve in Dealership experience.

Ford Dealers Fared Poorly In 2022 Internet Lead Effectiveness Study (fordauthority.com)

image.png

Way to go Cadillac, 11 places higher than @smk4565 favorite brand. Seems there is plenty of work for everyone to improve. I am surprised by the Buick score considering how well rated their auto's are.

Interesting from the link above is their final statement: Meanwhile, Ford dealers will be undergoing some major changes in the coming months and years, as the automaker has asked each to specialize in ICE-powered vehicles, EVs, or Ford Pro commercial offerings, though EVs will likely have to be sold at fixed prices via special showrooms, while dealers that turn inventory quickly will be financially rewarded.

I reread the press release about the new ICE division, EV division and Pro Division and I do not get this from the press release. 🤔

Not looking forward to the weather this weekend.  Got around 200 miles roundtrip planned for this afternoon and 500+ roundtrip tomorrow.  And it's supposed to snow all along the route.  Just tired...looking forward to Spring..

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Not looking forward to the weather this weekend.  Got around 200 miles roundtrip planned for this afternoon and 500+ roundtrip tomorrow.  And it's supposed to snow all along the route.  Just tired...looking forward to Spring..

Send snow, you can have this bloody warmth and sun. My nose needs a break.

It is official, the House and Senate of Washington state has passed a ban on the sale and registration of new ICE auto's. Governer is expected to sign it later today.

Washington State Legislature Passes 2030 Target for Phasing Out Sales of New Gasoline Vehicles | | goskagit.com

In a Nut shell, the following:

Clean Cars 2030 will:

• Put Washington on the road to powering its vehicles with locally-produced electricity that is cleaner and cheaper than gasoline.
  • Spur a comprehensive planning process for Washington to get ready for 100% vehicle electrification.
  • Clarify for local governments, automakers, charging companies, utilities, investors, landlords, and workplaces the direction of the state's EV market.
  • Incentivize private-sector investment in new EVs and charging stations. 
  • Increase opportunities for Washingtonians to save money on gasoline.
  • Reduce the cost and uncertainty of dependence on foreign sources of oil.
  • Reduce carbon emissions and air pollution and the threat they pose to air, water, and health. 

Seems according to a yale study, 55% of registered voters approve of ending the sale of new ice auto's and moving to green auto's. 🤔

Let the Debate begin!

• Haha 1

Sister was passing through after flying in and she got a rental car to drive up and visit my mom for awhile.  She had a Nissan Rogue, latest version.   I didn't ride in it but I checked out......not too bad.  Seemed spacious.  Definitely a bit more interesting than a RAV4 or CRV to me.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Sister was passing through after flying in and she got a rental car to drive up and visit my mom for awhile.  She had a Nissan Rogue, latest version.   I didn't ride in it but I checked out......not too bad.  Seemed spacious.  Definitely a bit more interesting than a RAV4 or CRV to me.

My last airport to home ride via Lyft was in a Nissan Rogue.  The Lyft driver liked it.

While I don't like the squared off and chopped off looks of the RAV 4, I had one as a rental 2 years ago (a few months after Covid became front and center) and it's not something I would own, but the automatic transmission - a geared 8 speed - shifted incredibly well and made the rental a pleasant experience.

• Agree 1

On 3/11/2022 at 5:31 PM, David said:

It is official, the House and Senate of Washington state has passed a ban on the sale and registration of new ICE auto's. Governer is expected to sign it later today.

Washington State Legislature Passes 2030 Target for Phasing Out Sales of New Gasoline Vehicles | | goskagit.com

In a Nut shell, the following:

Clean Cars 2030 will:

• Put Washington on the road to powering its vehicles with locally-produced electricity that is cleaner and cheaper than gasoline.
  • Spur a comprehensive planning process for Washington to get ready for 100% vehicle electrification.
  • Clarify for local governments, automakers, charging companies, utilities, investors, landlords, and workplaces the direction of the state's EV market.
  • Incentivize private-sector investment in new EVs and charging stations. 
  • Increase opportunities for Washingtonians to save money on gasoline.
  • Reduce the cost and uncertainty of dependence on foreign sources of oil.
  • Reduce carbon emissions and air pollution and the threat they pose to air, water, and health. 

Seems according to a yale study, 55% of registered voters approve of ending the sale of new ice auto's and moving to green auto's. 🤔

Let the Debate begin!

100% EV car sales in eight years?  Unless ICE autos are traded in for EVs en masse, I doubt they will come close to reaching their goals.  I could see Washington state require state government agencies go full EV, but the private sector will not move as fast.  EVs are (for the most part) still expensive, especially compared to buying a decent used car with relatively low miles.

Seems Ford is expecting 2023 for when EVs start taking off in sales.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/03/ford-ceo-jim-farley-says-mass-ev-adoption-will-start-in-2023/

I figure if all the low price EVs are brought to market then yes, folks will change over.

Good read

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/gm-keeps-a-big-promise-to-address-its-priority

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

48 Buick ~ '

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 9.59.34 PM.png

WOW, lovely auto, but talk about them BLIND Spots! :P 

That is one FAT C pillar! And people talk about terrible blind spots in today's SUVs. 🙄

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, David said:

WOW, lovely auto, but talk about them BLIND Spots! :P 

That is one FAT C pillar! And people talk about terrible blind spots in today's SUVs. 🙄

Yeah, always wondered how people parallel parked some of the cars in the ancient world...tiny rear window at a angle, no passenger side mirror, tiny driver's side mirror..I guess they parked by feel...stop when you bump into another car..

• Haha 1