Random Thoughts Thread

I've got this Toyota Camry they assigned to me.  Wow ... this has the second highest mileage of any vehicle I've ever been assigned - 56,000 miles!  That's over 9 transcontinental U.S. round trips. 

The only other car that beat it was in Italy when I was given a Seat Leon wagon with 105,000 km (which is over 60,000 miles).  That one looked kind of mangy and they didn't seem to care about all the scratches and all that, including the front bumper panel that had separated on one side and was provisionally fastened together.  I asked her if this Seat Leon wagon could get me from Ancona to Bari for the one-way drop (basically most of the length of the Adriatic side) and she said that it would.  It did.  

As for this Camry, it's a rough one.  The engine is noisy and, unlike ones I've been put in that have had about 20,000 miles where the 8-speed automatic had some of the best shift quality I've experienced, this Camry revs out to the next shift point and then there's what seems like a pause after that shift.  It reminds me of some Smart cars and Opel Corsa automatics I've rented across the pond ... some 20 years ago.  I don't believe in these new long intervals for transmission service.  I think people need to be routinely servicing their geared automatic transmission every 30,000 to 40,000 miles.

It's a basic LE and has none of the bells and whistles, like any of the traffic and parking sensors.  It also has that nasty diagonal sweep over the cubby hole for one's electronics.

On 12/2/2023 at 7:44 AM, trinacriabob said:

Join me in wishing @riviera74 a happy birthday (per today's birthday list).

May you enjoy your day on a riviera of your choosing ...

9a7a8139-60b7-4a6c-aa3c-afe7a7bb4a71.hw5

Totally agree with Trinacriabob stated, @riviera74 wishing you a belated B-Day. Hope you had a great day with friends and or family.

I find this story very interesting.

‘Dirtier to build but cleaner to drive’: This is how many miles you need to drive an EV to reduce its carbon footprint, study finds - MarketWatch

The 'dirtier to build' articles are pretty much always FUD imho since they always scrupulously take into account energy requirements (and related fossil fuel impacts) of refining battery materials, but somehow conveniently omit the same impacts for mining/transporting/manufacturing the equivalent parts of a gas auto. Not to mention that the batteries are not suddenly useless after they've been aged out of EV use, they can be repurposed for use in home energy storage applications, whereas an EOL gas auto is pretty much entirely scrap.

And even if a case can be made for 'dirtier to build' it still omits that the supposed pollution is all generated in a few strictly defined locations (power plants, mines and factories) where measures can more easily be taken to corral and mitigate said pollution, whereas gas autos are roving around spraying it everywhere.

1 hour ago, David said:

‘Dirtier to build but cleaner to drive’: This is how many miles you need to drive an EV to reduce its carbon footprint, study finds - MarketWatch

The 'dirtier to build' articles are pretty much always FUD imho since they always scrupulously take into account energy requirements (and related fossil fuel impacts) of refining battery materials, but somehow conveniently omit the same impacts for mining/transporting/manufacturing the equivalent parts of a gas auto. Not to mention that the batteries are not suddenly useless after they've been aged out of EV use, they can be repurposed for use in home energy storage applications, whereas an EOL gas auto is pretty much entirely scrap.

And even if a case can be made for 'dirtier to build' it still omits that the supposed pollution is all generated in a few strictly defined locations (power plants, mines and factories) where measures can more easily be taken to corral and mitigate said pollution, whereas gas autos are roving around spraying it everywhere.

Still requires about 30K miles to shrink your carbon footprint with an EV replacing an ICE vehicle.  Why is it an individual's responsibility to clean up systemic messes?

49 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Still requires about 30K miles to shrink your carbon footprint with an EV replacing an ICE vehicle.  Why is it an individual's responsibility to clean up systemic messes?

Is it really an individual's responsibility to clean up a mess or more a move to get the humanity mass to change habits for a better healthier planet?

Right now, Individual's do cause their own share of greenhouse gas, but as has been shown, if you can remove those gases to more focal places like a battery assembly plant, earth mineral production, etc. you can also focus the remove of large amounts of greenhouse gases in set locations. 

Then we also have the fact that cleaner cities, less noise pollution, no toxic diesel particulates in the cities, etc. To me that means better/cleaner living standard. But to each their own in how they approach this.

• Agree 2

Interesting read:

Electric vehicles are better than gas-powered cars in winter—here’s why | Ars Technica

I have come to realize that those that attack EVs tend to not understand the technology or the whole supply chain and the changes that happen. 

Knowledge is power.

19 hours ago, David said:

Which also doesn't account for the fact that several manufacturers (Tesla, GM, some Hyundai) have built Net-Zero manufacturing plants for their EVs.  I think Subaru is one of the few that has done it for their ICE plants.

• Educational 1

17 hours ago, David said:

Interesting read:

Electric vehicles are better than gas-powered cars in winter—here’s why | Ars Technica

I have come to realize that those that attack EVs tend to not understand the technology or the whole supply chain and the changes that happen. 

Knowledge is power.

Eh, that article makes some statements without data to back it up. It's a puff piece for EVs.

That said, for EVs that have heat pump HVAC, the difference in range is negligible.  Certainly less than the drop in fuel economy I see with cold weather in the truck.  The EPA says that cold weather of 20 degrees (fairly common where I live) can drop your fuel economy 15%.

If you properly precondition your EV in the cold before you leave, the range drop won't even be noticeable.  All modern EVs (even not modern ones like the original Volt) have the ability to set a departure time and can heat up both the cabin and the batteries before you drive away.  Of course this is best if you're on wall power at the time, but it helps even if not. Roughly the same as remote starting your ICE.

• Like 1
  • Educational 1

4 hours ago, NINETY EIGHT REGENCY said:

Jeeps lie about a reliable V6 when there are so many issues with the engine when hitting 100,000 miles has soured our family on Jeep. My son is negotiating right now to trade his in after spending over $5K to fix the blown head gaskets and leaking water pump into the engine so it at least runs right on a new SUV, and it WILL NOT be a Jeep. Rather than fix all the engine problems for the V6 that is used in far more than just Jeep by Stellantis, they are now facing many lawsuits and have dumped it for a straight 6. Stellantis brands are off the purchase list for good in my household.

Right now, I would take a Hyundai/Kia/Genesis over Jeep/Ram/Dodge/Chrysler and all the European name plates that Stellantis owns.

• Like 1

In the Seattle office for the first time since pandemic started in 2020. Wow, they are really trying to get folks back in as the landlord built a very nice gym that is free, a juice bar that is free and updated the whole building.

My last day back in February 2020 we had 2 EV charging parking spots and they were always full with people slacking each other to move EVs around to get charged. 

Today there is 12 dedicated stalls now.

20231213_061653.jpg20231213_061629.jpg20231213_061622.jpg

• Like 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

WOW, just when they could have really set off EV sales with the instant rebate starting January 1st 2024, come to find out the details bring this to only 10 EVs that qualify. Very Sad as what I am interested in is not on the list yet. I know both Kia/Hyundai/Genesis are planning to meet it with production later in 2024 as is Rivian, but it sucks that this will not help sales sooner.

Just as they will require every year higher U.S. built components, I feel there should be a 100% credit to start and it phases out if you do not bring manufacturing online in the U.S. over the next 18 or 24 months.

Only 10 Electric Car Models Will Qualify For Full Federal EV Tax Credit On January 1, 2024 - CleanTechnica

36 minutes ago, David said:

WOW, just when they could have really set off EV sales with the instant rebate starting January 1st 2024, come to find out the details bring this to only 10 EVs that qualify. Very Sad as what I am interested in is not on the list yet. I know both Kia/Hyundai/Genesis are planning to meet it with production later in 2024 as is Rivian, but it sucks that this will not help sales sooner.

Just as they will require every year higher U.S. built components, I feel there should be a 100% credit to start and it phases out if you do not bring manufacturing online in the U.S. over the next 18 or 24 months.

Only 10 Electric Car Models Will Qualify For Full Federal EV Tax Credit On January 1, 2024 - CleanTechnica

I'm a little disappointed Rivian isn't already on the list but i'm not in the market right now anyway. 

The list seems adequate to me. What are you interested in that isn't on the list, Hummer EV? 

13 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I'm a little disappointed Rivian isn't already on the list but i'm not in the market right now anyway. 

The list seems adequate to me. What are you interested in that isn't on the list, Hummer EV? 

Rivian, Kia, Hyundai and Genesis. Yes, I know they are working to start in Q2 U.S. Production, but I really think the GOV should have included everyone with a sliding scale over the next 18 to 24 months that if they did not start on U.S. production then they would lose every quarter a % of the rebate on their EVs till it was zero and at least it would allow instant rebates to get folks into EVs.

FYI:

GM Says It's Ditching Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for Your Safety (motortrend.com)

If you're going to lie, at least try to be halfway convincing,
  1. In my experience, Carplay is extremely reliable. I've used it in multiple vehicles (rentals, my trailblazer SS, Escalade which have 3rd party head units), and have experienced literally no issues.
  2. If there are issues using it in GM vehicles, ISTM that is on GM and is a massive self-own. They just admitted they want to develop the entire software stack themselves and, at the same time, have said they're not even competent enough to produce a reliable CarPlay/Android Auto interface when most of the work has already been done for them.

End result is that GM could have seen the last of my money based on other OEMs that continue to support Android Auto / Apple CarPlay.

Very cool read.

Shady Car Dealers Are Going To Hate The FTC's New CARS Rule (msn.com)

• Agree 1

Even with the infotainment guy giving his reason to not support Apple CarPlay or Android auto, I still do not buy his excuses.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/12/heres-the-real-reason-that-gm-is-dropping-apple-carplay-android-auto/

This is Great News for EV battery production. Seems the Geothermal plant near Salton Sea in Calipatria, CA has proven to hold major lithium deposits. 

The site will now move forward to produce Lithium for North America allowing it to no longer rely on South America or Chinese Lithium sources according to the news story and government report.

Study: Salton Sea has enough lithium to make more than 375 million EV batteries – Press Enterprise

Long-awaited analysis shows this desert holds a gold mine of lithium: 'It’s pretty exciting how much is there' (thecooldown.com)

Sad as GM will now fall farther behind Hyundai Motors trilogy of auto brands and Tesla as they delay even more production of EVs. Seems a delay of 9 months will now happen before EV Power Train production begins.

GM is delaying another major EV initiative (electrek.co)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"GM has a plan"-Every pro GM post I have seen over the last three or four years

And that plan, apparently, is to continue to shoot themselves in the foot after three or four years of hype over the Ultium platform, low entry prices, and sales projections for EVs. Just cannot believe how bad they and Ford are screwing this up right now, yet at the same time I should have half expected it. History does not lie but it does have a nasty habit of repeating itself.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2

This is just getting brutal. On top of the stop sales from GM, there this article about the Blazer EV that does not helps GMs cause at all. 

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2024-chevy-blazer-ev-long-term-faults.html?fbclid=IwAR1wprpgZnMgYjAnMpGfgFg_YyjAk4-Lnx4WlzMGE00V97KB0XPJfT061LY_aem_Aa4HA3YSHA7kBT9c-ajA9jcs8cAY6y7Jhu4th0Ncqf3wAF-GQeydI9WgTS47yyAkLSo

Again, the replies write themselves. 

• Agree 1

On 12/13/2023 at 3:38 PM, David said:

In the Seattle office for the first time since pandemic started in 2020. Wow, they are really trying to get folks back in as the landlord built a very nice gym that is free, a juice bar that is free and updated the whole building.

My last day back in February 2020 we had 2 EV charging parking spots and they were always full with people slacking each other to move EVs around to get charged. 

Today there is 12 dedicated stalls now.

20231213_061653.jpg20231213_061629.jpg20231213_061622.jpg

Did I hear free gym?  What's in it and which brand?  Does it have a view of anything?  Before the Gateway Tower (initial name, IIRC) went municipal, there was a beautiful gym in it partway up - about 5 to 10 floors up - with some nice views that people could just be members of.  I think I used it a few times with a reciprocity agreement.

Can't GM or any entity, for that matter, announce layoffs AFTER Christmas or the holidays are over?  Is it about making some kind of a favorable accounting or tax related entry on the books for the current fiscal year? (I'm theorizing, since I can't come up with what that would entail.) Shouldn't it be about people?  Who wants to see glum faces at the breakfast or dinner table?

• Sad 2

On 12/21/2023 at 12:51 PM, trinacriabob said:

Did I hear free gym?  What's in it and which brand?  Does it have a view of anything?  Before the Gateway Tower (initial name, IIRC) went municipal, there was a beautiful gym in it partway up - about 5 to 10 floors up - with some nice views that people could just be members of.  I think I used it a few times with a reciprocity agreement.

Gym is filled with Nautilus equipment and free weights, looks out over First Ave and Jackson street.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, David said:

Gym is filled with Nautilus equipment and free weights, looks out over First Ave and Jackson street.

Nautilus equipment isn't as ubiquitous as it used to be, but I remember it as the brand most likely to be at the fitness centers I first belonged to. It's still around as mostly Nautilus Nitro, and is also good.  There are some brands I can't stand such as Cybex and Hammerstrength.  They just don't feel right.  Whether good or bad, I never took to free weights.  The likelihood of injury can be higher, IMO.  Resistance equipment sort of keeps your range of movements in check.  I need to return to going regularly but resistance circuit + elliptical + treadmill kept me in shape and gave me good medical lab work numbers.

• Oh Yeah! 1

30 minutes ago, David said:

Wishing Everyone a Wonderful Christmas and a Happy 2024 New Year!!!

Merry Christmas GIF by Hope is Sincere

Thank you for the Christmas and New Year good wishes.

I'll say it.  I could use a wish coming through that would keep me from breaking out the Famotidine:  some primary wins for Nikki Haley.  I didn't know much about her until a few months ago. I assumed she was of mixed white, Hispanic, and/or Native American ancestry, not that it matters. She is also a Clemson accounting grad.  One or two of the others bowing out could pave her way.  This at least could prevent that one undesirable outcome.

We could all use more peace and tranquility in 2024.

• Agree 1

On 12/20/2023 at 3:59 PM, surreal1272 said:

This is just getting brutal. On top of the stop sales from GM, there this article about the Blazer EV that does not helps GMs cause at all. 

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2024-chevy-blazer-ev-long-term-faults.html?fbclid=IwAR1wprpgZnMgYjAnMpGfgFg_YyjAk4-Lnx4WlzMGE00V97KB0XPJfT061LY_aem_Aa4HA3YSHA7kBT9c-ajA9jcs8cAY6y7Jhu4th0Ncqf3wAF-GQeydI9WgTS47yyAkLSo

Again, the replies write themselves. 

BUT I THOUGHT THERE WEREN'T PROBLEMS WITH ULTIUM?!! 

It’s a bit of a Clickbait headline on Edmunds part.  There’s an energy fault and it’s making all the sensors go on the fritz.  The same thing happened to my Chrysler when the battery was going bad. New battery and cleared the codes and it was all fine. 

16 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It’s a bit of a Clickbait headline on Edmunds part.  There’s an energy fault and it’s making all the sensors go on the fritz.  The same thing happened to my Chrysler when the battery was going bad. New battery and cleared the codes and it was all fine. 

Given the recent stop sale on Blazers, it may not be so much "click bait" so much as it is a first year new model problem. The problem is in the pudding though. That is a ton of issues to have with a vehicle after only a few months, first year model or not. We are talking a BRAND NEW vehicle here and for almost $60K you expect better.

• Agree 1

On 12/21/2023 at 4:13 PM, trinacriabob said:

Can't GM or any entity, for that matter, announce layoffs AFTER Christmas or the holidays are over?  Is it about making some kind of a favorable accounting or tax related entry on the books for the current fiscal year? (I'm theorizing, since I can't come up with what that would entail.) Shouldn't it be about people?  Who wants to see glum faces at the breakfast or dinner table?

A friend who had been with a company for 15 years got laid off last Friday...the Friday before Xmas they laid off 300+ IT people...(a place I worked back in '10-11, a horrible vile bank w/ a sweatshop environment).

Enjoying the week off...pretty quiet.  Unusual late December weather for NE Ohio, was 60 on Christmas.  Took the Mustang out for a spin on some of the nice back roads close by.   Then soaked in the hot tub for a while.   (Big meal was Christmas Eve, my sister and I went to a great local steakhouse for a big dinner, champagne, wine, etc).   

IMG_1459.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

My wind up, or wind down, for 2023:

I moved across the pond.  I'm going to try to make a go of it.  I've been thinking about it for a long time.  I spent about 4 years in Europe between ages 4 and 13, so it's familiar turf.  

It had become exhausting weighing the pros and cons of where to consider living in the States.  Southern Europe checks more of the boxes for me.

I was dragging my feet in getting my act together (more so with administrative stuff than the packing) and restocked frequent flyer tickets I'd use to move with ... twice.  About a month or two before, I called Cunard and the lady I spoke with said to put my name on the waiting list because it didn't cost anything to do so.  Right around Thanksgiving, I was notified I cleared the waiting list for the upcoming transatlantic crossing of Queen Mary 2, which I've wanted to travel on for a long while.  I guess it was meant to be and people I knew told me the crossing would be a good way to de-stress for 7 days.

This was the last eastbound crossing of the year of the QM2 - New York (US) to Southampton (UK) in early December.  The price was to my liking for an inside cabin and it being "low season."  Also, I'd be spending my b-day on the ship.  For it being December, the crossing was benign as the North Atlantic was unusually calm.  It can be agitated in the winter months and this ship was built as an ocean liner, as opposed to a cruise ship, to handle that.

- - - - -

20231208_152230.thumb.jpg.03ae8e99240918f0d092d0096e672de0.jpg

Embarkation will occur after check in at the ship terminal in New York, but it's great to take a deep breath and survey this grandiose ocean liner

20231208_172450.thumb.jpg.2c3bf0589f9fd8a6220f1e00aa010708.jpg

Sailing away, with Governor's Island standing in front of Lower Manhattan ... those of us who could brave the windy evening and wanted to take in the views were either here (Deck 11) or at the very top (Deck 13)

20231208_175122.thumb.jpg.855610a5b716e7f00d1f44bc98ef9b36.jpg

The front of the ship, with its bow pointed toward the Verrazano Bridge, meaning letting off the harbor pilot and the transition from New York's harbor into the Atlantic Ocean 

20231214_161149.thumb.jpg.eb693b0b3491ce53161f8ef301d6994f.jpg

This was the basic view of the route, with the screen rotating displays of various maps and factual information

20231209_112739.thumb.jpg.ae1672b83697228faf944dfd13efe7fe.jpg

This is the Grand Lobby at midship, which will mean the purser's office reception area, which will apply to everyone, and some shops and bars you may or may not visit

20231212_124900.thumb.jpg.973ac4afb2f7c6cf52d71f31b839cea4.jpg

The library, which is excellent and nicely appointed, sits in the forward superstructure and you can look out over the bow toward the sea

20231213_144639.thumb.jpg.5f43a0f949b3d730bbbc5009241c31fa.jpg

Sitting in one of the indoor "promenades" that skirt the sides of the 2 main theaters with a cup of tea watching the wake passing by the sides of the ship

20231212_124350.thumb.jpg.59115b90db8f8bb3b5d9754fbe0c27c6.jpg

For it being mid-December on the North Atlantic, these were outstanding conditions

20231213_163942.thumb.jpg.a21e5c476749158142139415a5b8d18c.jpg

This was the main dining room, meaning the bulk of the staterooms were assigned to it and, while anyone could nitpick, most of the meals here ranged from good to excellent, with a few items having fancy haute cuisine names I couldn't decipher and that I passed on

20231214_005515.thumb.jpg.9c64ba732b1bb717e2433eba976e0d09.jpg

There was a theme night or two (I only stuffed one regular dark suit into the luggage) but some people came prepared ... this is someone's get up ... "Mambo Kings?" ... not sure ... and this is up at the late night buffet where all the night owls and characters are to be found

20231214_151539.thumb.jpg.adc1eaa5d428826b9856c8f72ef490e2.jpg

This is the indoor pool (one of 4 or 5 on the ship) and its two jacuzzis on Deck 12 just in front of the main funnel

20231214_154647.thumb.jpg.7df4d2133c9f50afa57321d2d0a79374.jpg

Check this out - this is the rearmost pool and some folks are hot tubbing in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean as winter is officially a week or so away

20231214_160352.thumb.jpg.3ea42c14a8e1b6257cae6b8d745ff5e6.jpg

This is at the very top of the ship, with a path that wraps around the front of the ship and above the bridge

20231214_1540494.thumb.jpg.4e6b7d8525ed17d92376ce2646395c8c.jpg

Somewhere between New York and Southampton, with some/most of the 5 pounds I packed on, standing behind the main funnel and in front of the kennels - I think about 20 dogs and 5 cats were along for the ride

20231215_082054.thumb.jpg.95a71d94720daf46a7524629e0d73066.jpg

There was time to have breakfast and walk around Deck 7, which is the open promenade immediately under the lifeboats ... it looks like they're driving on the wrong side of the road, which means this is Southampton (UK) and it's time to disembark

- - - - -

I will be staying in Turin (yes, that Torino, home of FIAT and some other famous Italian automakers) before heading south toward the country's south - where the palm trees are - fairly early in the new year.

It has been a weird year for me, many of us here, and other people I know.  So, best wishes for 2024 to my friends on C&G.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

44 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

My wind up, or wind down, for 2023:

I moved across the pond.  I'm going to try to make a go of it.  I've been thinking about it for a long time.  I spent about 4 years in Europe between ages 4 and 13, so it's familiar turf.  

It had become exhausting weighing the pros and cons of where to consider living in the States.  Southern Europe checks more of the boxes for me.

I was dragging my feet in getting my act together (more so with administrative stuff than the packing) and restocked frequent flyer tickets I'd use to move with ... twice.  About a month or two before, I called Cunard and the lady I spoke with said to put my name on the waiting list because it didn't cost anything to do so.  Right around Thanksgiving, I was notified I cleared the waiting list for the upcoming transatlantic crossing of Queen Mary 2, which I've wanted to travel on for a long while.  I guess it was meant to be and people I knew told me the crossing would be a good way to de-stress for 7 days.

This was the last eastbound crossing of the year of the QM2 - New York (US) to Southampton (UK) in early December.  The price was to my liking for an inside cabin and it being "low season."  Also, I'd be spending my b-day on the ship.  For it being December, the crossing was benign as the North Atlantic was unusually calm.  It can be agitated in the winter months and this ship was built as an ocean liner, as opposed to a cruise ship, to handle that.

- - - - -

20231208_152230.thumb.jpg.03ae8e99240918f0d092d0096e672de0.jpg

Embarkation will occur after check in at the ship terminal in New York, but it's great to take a deep breath and survey this grandiose ocean liner

20231208_172450.thumb.jpg.2c3bf0589f9fd8a6220f1e00aa010708.jpg

Sailing away, with Governor's Island standing in front of Lower Manhattan ... those of us who could brave the windy evening and wanted to take in the views were either here (Deck 11) or at the very top (Deck 13)

20231208_175122.thumb.jpg.855610a5b716e7f00d1f44bc98ef9b36.jpg

The front of the ship, with its bow pointed toward the Verrazano Bridge, meaning letting off the harbor pilot and the transition from New York's harbor into the Atlantic Ocean 

20231214_161149.thumb.jpg.eb693b0b3491ce53161f8ef301d6994f.jpg

This was the basic view of the route, with the screen rotating displays of various maps and factual information

20231209_112739.thumb.jpg.ae1672b83697228faf944dfd13efe7fe.jpg

This is the Grand Lobby at midship, which will mean the purser's office reception area, which will apply to everyone, and some shops and bars you may or may not visit

20231212_124900.thumb.jpg.973ac4afb2f7c6cf52d71f31b839cea4.jpg

The library, which is excellent and nicely appointed, sits in the forward superstructure and you can look out over the bow toward the sea

20231213_144639.thumb.jpg.5f43a0f949b3d730bbbc5009241c31fa.jpg

Sitting in one of the indoor "promenades" that skirt the sides of the 2 main theaters with a cup of tea watching the wake passing by the sides of the ship

20231212_124350.thumb.jpg.59115b90db8f8bb3b5d9754fbe0c27c6.jpg

For it being mid-December on the North Atlantic, these were outstanding conditions

20231213_163942.thumb.jpg.a21e5c476749158142139415a5b8d18c.jpg

This was the main dining room, meaning the bulk of the staterooms were assigned to it and, while anyone could nitpick, most of the meals here ranged from good to excellent, with a few items having fancy haute cuisine names I couldn't decipher and that I passed on

20231214_005515.thumb.jpg.9c64ba732b1bb717e2433eba976e0d09.jpg

There was a theme night or two (I only stuffed one regular dark suit into the luggage) but some people came prepared ... this is someone's get up ... "Mambo Kings?" ... not sure ... and this is up at the late night buffet where all the night owls and characters are to be found

20231214_151539.thumb.jpg.adc1eaa5d428826b9856c8f72ef490e2.jpg

This is the indoor pool (one of 4 or 5 on the ship) and its two jacuzzis on Deck 12 just in front of the main funnel

20231214_154647.thumb.jpg.7df4d2133c9f50afa57321d2d0a79374.jpg

Check this out - this is the rearmost pool and some folks are hot tubbing in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean as winter is officially a week or so away

20231214_160352.thumb.jpg.3ea42c14a8e1b6257cae6b8d745ff5e6.jpg

This is at the very top of the ship, with a path that wraps around the front of the ship and above the bridge

20231214_1540494.thumb.jpg.4e6b7d8525ed17d92376ce2646395c8c.jpg

Somewhere between New York and Southampton, with some/most of the 5 pounds I packed on, standing behind the main funnel and in front of the kennels - I think about 20 dogs and 5 cats were along for the ride

20231215_082054.thumb.jpg.95a71d94720daf46a7524629e0d73066.jpg

There was time to have breakfast and walk around Deck 7, which is the open promenade immediately under the lifeboats ... it looks like they're driving on the wrong side of the road, which means this is Southampton (UK) and it's time to disembark

- - - - -

I will be staying in Turin (yes, that Torino, home of FIAT and some other famous Italian automakers) before heading south toward the country's south - where the palm trees are - fairly early in the new year.

It has been a weird year for me, many of us here, and other people I know.  So, best wishes for 2024 to my friends on C&G.

So happy for you that you have made the move to where you want to be. Wishing you all the best, we look forward to your future updates on your new home, the surrounding community and of course all about the autos of the area.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, David.

I definitely will.  There is a completely different "inventory" of cars over here.  Some are familiar to me and some are not.

I have known of this site for quite a while.  It's how you find cars over here.  You would use the filters just like on any other automotive buy-sell website:

http://www.autoscout24.com

I have already found several Aldi stores at which to buy essential stuff.  One night I went in there and ended up buying a nice enough jacket/parka for a bodacious price.

I also had one of the first significant "spotting" occurrences there:

20231228_193256.thumb.jpg.1882f00671d55513f828c06c538711b9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

WOW, This is one of the best videos I have seen on battery recycling and a great watch if you are really interested in how it is done. Amazing to see both Auto battery packs as well as small appliance, laptop, EGO, etc. batteries get recycled.

Trinacriabob:

All the best to you in your move to Europe. You finally made the choice and decision.  I recall the conversation we had some time ago. I hope for the best and that everything works out in Europe and that you enjoy your new life there.  All the best to you. 

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY
  • Thanks 1