William Maley

Chevrolet News:Whoops! 2016 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible Makes A Early Debut

Chevrolet has an interesting week. Tomorrow, the automaker will be revealing the next-generation Cruze. Then a day after, the 6th generation Camaro Convertible will be shown for the first time.

Unfortunately for Chevrolet, someone posted the images of the new Camaro Convertible on Chevy's site. The company has pulled them down, but the folks at Camaro6.com got the images. Not surprisingly, the convertible looks much the same as the coupe.

We'll have more details on the drop-top Camaro later this week.

Source: Camaro6.com

View full article

This will be a hit for Chevy!, I know many people who have been waiting for this.

So Chevy has this and the Corvette, Buick has the Cascada convertible coming.  Where is Cadillac's?

Likely before the Cascada, put it that way. Is that thing still a go?

Yes. Will be here early next year.

Yes. The media drives are late summer / early fall.  More than likely, William or I will get to test one out to give you our opinion.

Yes. The media drives are late summer / early fall.  More than likely, William or I will get to test one out to give you our opinion.

Because the best time for convertibles is when the sun is hottest or winter is approaching???  :banghead:

I love GM but sometimes they really do drag $h! out to times that are simply insane.

In fact.. I still remain confused as to how and why a Camaro.. which isn't even out yet is on the same platform as an ATS that has been on the market since 2013.. is getting a convertible and the Caddy isn't

camaro-convertible1-1.jpg

Because the best time for convertibles is when the sun is hottest or winter is approaching???  :banghead:

I love GM but sometimes they really do drag $h! out to times that are simply insane.

In fact.. I still remain confused as to how and why a Camaro.. which isn't even out yet is on the same platform as an ATS that has been on the market since 2013.. is getting a convertible and the Caddy isn't

It has more to do with when the car goes on sale.  Early to Mid-September is perfect convertible weather in my view.

my 

It has more to do with when the car goes on sale.  Early to Mid-September is perfect convertible weather in my view.

I understand this to a degree, but for me.. top comes off in April.. My larger point remains that the ATS .. and CTS should have convertibles along with coupes (CTS) now.

my

Yes. The media drives are late summer / early fall. More than likely, William or I will get to test one out to give you our opinion.

Because the best time for convertibles is when the sun is hottest or winter is approaching??? :banghead:

It has more to do with when the car goes on sale. Early to Mid-September is perfect convertible weather in my view.

I understand this to a degree, but for me.. top comes off in April.. My larger point remains that the ATS .. and CTS should have convertibles along with coupes (CTS) now.

If it's a case of limited dollars for new product launches then I'd say go with your hot hand. The Camaro droptop is a surefire seller, and likely in large quantities. As much as I'd like to see an ATS droptop, I'll grit my teeth and say that GM made the right call here.

I'm not normally a fan of convertables, but there's just something about this that I like. It's like it's convertable guise suites it really well.

Very nice looking car.

It's just a test drive.  We don't get to keep it for months and months

Although, It would be cool to do a long-term test.

It's just a test drive.  We don't get to keep it for months and months

Although, It would be cool to do a long-term test.

You live in Michigan. You'd get to put the top down for about 15 minutes sometime in mid-August.  :sneeze:

I read during the unveiling of the ATS Coupe that one of the major benefits of the less dramatic design was that it can pull double duty for a convertible. It was shelved during tight financial times, but I have a feeling we'll see an ATS vert with the Camaro's hardware.

I read during the unveiling of the ATS Coupe that one of the major benefits of the less dramatic design was that it can pull double duty for a convertible. It was shelved during tight financial times, but I have a feeling we'll see an ATS vert with the Camaro's hardware.

If it's a case of limited dollars for new product launches then I'd say go with your hot hand. The Camaro droptop is a surefire seller, and likely in large quantities. As much as I'd like to see an ATS droptop, I'll grit my teeth and say that GM made the right call here.

GM no longer has "limited dollars." The investment in a chopping of an existing top would be minimal.. and the premium they could charge on a Cadillac, even if they made it exclusive to a "Special Edition" VSport ATS with 75 less Ponies 

There's always a budget, meng. As much as Barra and Reuss would like to play with Mad Money they can't slip back into old habits. If it's any comfort I used the same argument on the ATS droptop you used on my dreamed-for Cruze (and Sonic, indirectly) SS a year or so ago :(

Looks really sharp, too bad all soft tops look like garbage when the top is up, which is 90% of the time.. But it does look really good with it down.

There's always a budget, meng. As much as Barra and Reuss would like to play with Mad Money they can't slip back into old habits. If it's any comfort I used the same argument on the ATS droptop you used on my dreamed-for Cruze (and Sonic, indirectly) SS a year or so ago :(

Touche :confused0071:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Aside from the turbo-four engine, the 3.0L Duramax diesel inline-six for the upcoming 2019 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 has us very intrigued. General Motors has been quiet on power figures and fuel economy for this engine since announcing this engine earlier in the year. But thanks to a crafty person who got some photographs off of GM Canada’s dealer site, we now have some figures.
      The photos were posted by TFL Truck and reveal the diesel engine produces 282 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque - 32 horsepower and 10 pound-feet more than the F-150's 3.0L PowerStroke diesel. GM also claims a highway fuel economy figure of 28 mpg - about two mpg less than the F-150. That 28 mpg figure gives us pause as Canada reports fuel economy figures very different - 'x' liters per 100 kilometers - not miles per gallon.
      Max towing is rated at 7,800 pounds.
      We'll see if those numbers pan out when the diesel becomes available sometime later this or early next year.
      Source: TFL Truck

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Aside from the turbo-four engine, the 3.0L Duramax diesel inline-six for the upcoming 2019 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 has us very intrigued. General Motors has been quiet on power figures and fuel economy for this engine since announcing this engine earlier in the year. But thanks to a crafty person who got some photographs off of GM Canada’s dealer site, we now have some figures.
      The photos were posted by TFL Truck and reveal the diesel engine produces 282 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque - 32 horsepower and 10 pound-feet more than the F-150's 3.0L PowerStroke diesel. GM also claims a highway fuel economy figure of 28 mpg - about two mpg less than the F-150. That 28 mpg figure gives us pause as Canada reports fuel economy figures very different - 'x' liters per 100 kilometers - not miles per gallon.
      Max towing is rated at 7,800 pounds.
      We'll see if those numbers pan out when the diesel becomes available sometime later this or early next year.
      Source: TFL Truck
    • By William Maley
      From 2010 to 2014, the Chevrolet Camaro was undisputed sales champion of the U.S. sports cars. But since 2015, the Camaro has been falling behind the likes of the Ford Mustang. At the time, Chevrolet officials were okay with giving up some volume to boost profitability. Unlike Ford which started focusing on lower-end models, Chevrolet decided to target performance-oriented models with high price tags. 
      But this year, the Camaro has been outsold by both the Mustang and Dodge Challenger - the latter using a platform that is over a decade old. Chevrolet is now planning to fight back by focusing on the lower-end of the market, a place where Ford and Dodge have been making big inroads.
      "Frankly, they've been eating our lunch. The low [transaction prices] of a four-cylinder ... that's where the bulk of the sales are and that's where our pricing strategy needed improvement. We plan to go head to head — and win," said Al Oppenheiser, chief engineer of the Camaro to Automotive News.
      Chevrolet has cut prices on the Camaro 1LS, 1LT, and 2LT as part of the 2019 refresh. They have also introduced a 1LE version for the 2.0L turbo-four to better compete with the Mustang EcoBoost. The 1LE brings a chassis package from the 1LE V6, 20-inch wheels, and a six-speed manual for only $30,995 (includes shipping).
      "What's happening in the sport car segment, there's a lot more volume in the low-to-mid part of the market. We do a phenomenal job with our loaded SS's, and it's great business for us, but the reality is there's an awful lot of people who just want a great looking sports car somewhere in that $30,000 range, and that's what we're going to deliver," said Steve Majoros, Chevy's marketing director for cars and crossovers.
      Karl Brauer, executive publisher of Kelley Blue Book said Chevrolet adding the 1LE package for the turbo-four Camaro will allow it to be better compete with the Mustang. But he also questioned whether Chevrolet went far enough with the 2019 refresh to address some of styling issues that have turned off some buyers.
      "It doesn't hurt to have a lot of value for the money. I just wonder if that alone is the real stumbling block," said Brauer.
      "It just doesn't have the personality that the other two cars offer."
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      From 2010 to 2014, the Chevrolet Camaro was undisputed sales champion of the U.S. sports cars. But since 2015, the Camaro has been falling behind the likes of the Ford Mustang. At the time, Chevrolet officials were okay with giving up some volume to boost profitability. Unlike Ford which started focusing on lower-end models, Chevrolet decided to target performance-oriented models with high price tags. 
      But this year, the Camaro has been outsold by both the Mustang and Dodge Challenger - the latter using a platform that is over a decade old. Chevrolet is now planning to fight back by focusing on the lower-end of the market, a place where Ford and Dodge have been making big inroads.
      "Frankly, they've been eating our lunch. The low [transaction prices] of a four-cylinder ... that's where the bulk of the sales are and that's where our pricing strategy needed improvement. We plan to go head to head — and win," said Al Oppenheiser, chief engineer of the Camaro to Automotive News.
      Chevrolet has cut prices on the Camaro 1LS, 1LT, and 2LT as part of the 2019 refresh. They have also introduced a 1LE version for the 2.0L turbo-four to better compete with the Mustang EcoBoost. The 1LE brings a chassis package from the 1LE V6, 20-inch wheels, and a six-speed manual for only $30,995 (includes shipping).
      "What's happening in the sport car segment, there's a lot more volume in the low-to-mid part of the market. We do a phenomenal job with our loaded SS's, and it's great business for us, but the reality is there's an awful lot of people who just want a great looking sports car somewhere in that $30,000 range, and that's what we're going to deliver," said Steve Majoros, Chevy's marketing director for cars and crossovers.
      Karl Brauer, executive publisher of Kelley Blue Book said Chevrolet adding the 1LE package for the turbo-four Camaro will allow it to be better compete with the Mustang. But he also questioned whether Chevrolet went far enough with the 2019 refresh to address some of styling issues that have turned off some buyers.
      "It doesn't hurt to have a lot of value for the money. I just wonder if that alone is the real stumbling block," said Brauer.
      "It just doesn't have the personality that the other two cars offer."
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
  • My Clubs