What Would Buy Instead- Lancer Evo Final Edition, er Edition

C&D is just making these too easy, and this one I think is a lot of fun. They just did a test of the Evo Final Edition, the send off for the legendary Evo. Here's the story- http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-final-edition-test-review- for those interested.

Base price and as-tested were the same at $38,805. So, as always, you have within 10% of that price in either direction to play with. You MUST spend at least $34,925, but no more than $42,685. Since the Evo is a pretty focused sport model, I'll allow a little deviation from the normal rules and let 2 door sport coupes be fair game here, AS LONG AS THEY ARE STREETABLE. That said, major bonus points if you can keep it in the sport compact realm.

The rules, again-

1)You can spend between $34,925-42,685.

2)Must be a new, current MY, in-production car.

3)Keep it in the same realm as this, preferably even same genre.

Pic, for reference-

2015-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-final-e

It's close enough I'll give it a pass. All the specs and pricing are released, after all. Now, how much did it come out to be? Configurator is up.

I added the optional black wheels w/o the Cup tires(1400 without 2000 with the Cup tires), gorgeous blue paint, RS2 package that added leather, heated seats,mirrors, steering wheel, power seat, Sync 3 with nav and $h!. and it ended up at $41,650. The only thing I didn't get was the optional tires and had I, I would have wanted the winter wheel and tire package as well. 

The wheels that are on dfelt's ^ but Blue paint! 

Edited by ccap41

You will allow pony/muscle cars?

Like you said...this is not only a sport focused automobile...it is also a pure enthusiast lovers car.

I dont want to pick a pony/muscle car to keep with the essence of the Lancer EVO, but to me in this price range, and for pure sporty and enthusiast natured cars, a pony/muscle car is THE only choice...

R/T for sure as it fits in the price range easily...the R/T Scat Pack may be tough to get it under 42 000 but its possible.

But if you deny the Challenger...and this car is to be my week-end toy AND be a family hauler at the same time (the Challenger gobbles up kids in the back with ease), then Id have to go with the....

I was about to choose the WRX, then the Focus RS...then I realized...Im not comfortable with these cars...from an image point of view.

My adolescent years have long passed me by. Sure the R/T Scat Pack Challenger has just as many boy racer cues...but Im fine with the Challenger's adolescent antics...big car and big engine has something to do with it...so the Challenger stays...because in this price range...that is what Ill drive...all day..every day.

It's close enough I'll give it a pass. All the specs and pricing are released, after all. Now, how much did it come out to be? Configurator is up.

I added the optional black wheels w/o the Cup tires(1400 without 2000 with the Cup tires), gorgeous blue paint, RS2 package that added leather, heated seats,mirrors, steering wheel, power seat, Sync 3 with nav and $h!. and it ended up at $41,650. The only thing I didn't get was the optional tires and had I, I would have wanted the winter wheel and tire package as well. 

The wheels that are on dfelt's ^ but Blue paint! 

Oh yeah, not the blue I pictured either.. the bright but glossy blue that is similar to the show color. ..gotta be precise.. lol

Also, I went with the purest of similarities to the Evo as I guess the pony/muscle car thing was an option.. but I guess if this was my only car I would still rather have an RS over a Camaro SS or Mustang GT..because RWD..  Yeah Yeah Yeah snow tires.. the same can be done on the RS! But I could get away with an all season tire with our mild winters. 

Edited by ccap41

I think the Challenger is a big stretch Olds. Just sayin'.....

I know Frisky. 

I know.

OK...Ill comply.

Nix the Challenger.

Im still looking for a vehicle. When I decide upon one, Ill post it.

Like, I could see a Camaro SS or Mustang GT, but the Chally is kinda getting away from the 'focused' spectrum, lol.

OK...I went on the USA site for....AUDI. The S3 bit my interest.

Starts at $42 500.

No extras.

I built it with...no extras.

Is it even possible to attain an S3 with no options???!!!

Those Germans, they nickel and dime you...

You know... the WRX STi is really not as bad as I make it out to be...I could drive this thing with middle-aged pride... :alcoholic:

Yup, that would be the alcoholic emoticon...I buy a car like the WRX STi at my age with a 10 year old daughter and an 8 year old son, I might as well just beome the week-end alcoholic party animal I was when I was in my twenties...

2015-wrx-sti-wr-blue-color-h.jpg

I do like this car though, not enough to be in a Cheers and Gears Dream Car Garage 2016 edition though, or in real life, but for this thread here, I am more than happy with it!

EDIT:  Yeah...regarding the Mustang and the Camaro...same feelings I have with the WRX or Focus RS...

Truth be told, in real life, Id rather the Subaru WRX STi over the Mustang...

Edited by oldshurst442

2016 Ford Focus RS - $43,845

attachicon.gif2016Focus-RS.jpg

Went over budget so removed the extra set of Winter rims & Tires. Minus $1995 gets me into budget.

attachicon.gif2016Focus-RS-2.jpg

It looks dirty. It looks dirty....dirty dirty boy...DFelt has some nasty desires. Well done chief. Well did. 

I hope to get to drive an RS. I was a much bigger fan initially than now that I've read some reviews on it.

FOCUSRSHUGEFAN*

^ I really don't think any of them care. The cars were fading into irrelevance already.

LOL, you could not tell that in Seattle, the amount of STI and EVOs on the road here is crazy. Maybe a High Tech Young Engineer thing BMW and MB cannot touch these cars with the young engineering crowd.

• Agree 1

^ I really don't think any of them care. The cars were fading into irrelevance already.

LOL, you could not tell that in Seattle, the amount of STI and EVOs on the road here is crazy. Maybe a High Tech Young Engineer thing BMW and MB cannot touch these cars with the young engineering crowd.

I have found that a LOT of STI/Evo guys make the move to BMW and Audi. It's really an easy gap to bridge. Both have numerous turbocharged models, they have sporty offerings, and both offer AWD. It's a natural transition.

And with young buyers, the Evo and STI don't have that footing they had back in the 90's. When these cars dropped in the early 2000's, they hurt sports and muscle cars' feelings. That's no longer the case. The rest of market caught and surpassed them in bang-for-the-buck and especially refinement, and the Fast & Furious craze has died off. They just don't resonate with the newest crop of drivers, even among enthusiasts, really.

I have found that a LOT of STI/Evo guys make the move to BMW and Audi. It's really an easy gap to bridge. Both have numerous turbocharged models, they have sporty offerings, and both offer AWD. It's a natural transition.

And with young buyers, the Evo and STI don't have that footing they had back in the 90's. When these cars dropped in the early 2000's, they hurt sports and muscle cars' feelings. That's no longer the case. The rest of market caught and surpassed them in bang-for-the-buck and especially refinement, and the Fast & Furious craze has died off. They just don't resonate with the newest crop of drivers, even among enthusiasts, really.

That is interesting about the STI/Evo guys making the move to BMW and Audi.

I must agree with your observations about it being a natural transition.

Like you said, these cars were crude, but fast in the 1990s, and once these guys got older, got a lot more mature, they needed rides that reflected them getting older...but keeping the same power train, speed qualities yet better interiors...Audi and BMW was the perfect next step.

And yes, the Fast and the Furious era has ended, and thus why the EVO is no longer.

But...what perplexes me, is that VW has successfully transformed the Golf GTi, Subaru the WRX...although neutered, its sales are going on strong, Honda has virtually killed off the F&F Civic, but is returning to it with the next gen...etc...why is it that Mitsubishi has failed to evolve the EVO?

Look, the Camaro and the Mustang offer turbo 4 cylinder versions that will probably be the high volume cars and tuning them will have backing...yet the EVO has become irrelevant...

Im not much into this segment...but I adore it...

I LOVE the fact that these cars have (had) plebeian econobox versions while offering high octane versions...and these cars were (are) fast....yes, they helped raise the performance bar for regular folk to enjoy while the nuttiest car guys to exploit more performance from them. And very tuneable they were.

While the EVO was never not my cup of tea, looks wise either, (I much preferred the WRX in looks) Im saddened quite a bit from this because yet another performance car bites the dust to leave more way for that shyte Mirage to take its place.

• Agree 1

I think Mitsubishi, and to a lesser extent Subaru, really lost a lot of their identity when they pulled out of top level international rallying. With no motorsports tie in any more, they probably just weren't sure which direction to take. Coupled with an ever decreasing relevance in the mainstream market and poor sales across the board, they just couldn't justify evolving the car and keeping it competitive. Subaru had cars like the Legacy, Forester, and Outback to fall back on.

I remember when I was a 'young high tech engineer' in Denver 10-15 years ago, they were pretty popular.  I was into BMW M3s and Jeeps then, couldn't get into the STI and Evo.   Now that I'm a middle aged high tech engineer in Phoenix, I'm too burnt out to give a $h!...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar