Cadillac News: Cadillac Introduces A Special Edition of the ATS for Japan

It seems a bit odd that Cadillac is doing a special edition model for Japan as they don't sell that many vehicles there. But trying to figure out why just seems like an exercise in futility. Let's just talk about the special edition vehicle in question.

This is the Cadillac ATS Luxury Sport Edition which features a set of 19-inch V-spoke alloy wheels with a two-tone look. There is also a set of Brembo brakes and a sports suspension that comes as part of this special edition model. Other items of note include cashmere accents for the interior, and the choice of either crystal white or sable black paint. A turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder with 272 horsepower and eight-speed automatic is your only powertrain choice.

It is unknown how many of the ATS Luxury Sport Edition models will be built. We do know that it will cost ¥5,290,000 (about $49,911).

Source: Motor1.com

View full article

It seems a bit odd that Cadillac is doing a special edition model for Japan as they don't sell that many vehicles there. But trying to figure out why just seems like an exercise in futility. 

But the flip is; don't bother to do any special models; maybe sales will increase via willpower.

This isn't a unique body or something, it's just a package on an existing model. Widen your appeal, get tongues to wag.

It makes perfect sense. 

You can duplicate this package here by selecting a 2.0T RWD Luxury with the 19" two-tone wheels, one of the two fancy paint options this package has, and the V-Sport brake package.  All ATS's here come with the "sport" suspension... "performance" suspension is the upgrade to Magnetic Ride Control.  In the US, this setup would run you $46,965 before incentives.

No, the upgraded calipers don't say Brembo on them, but with a 2.0T, how important is that really?

You can duplicate this package here by selecting a 2.0T RWD Luxury with the 19" two-tone wheels, one of the two fancy paint options this package has, and the V-Sport brake package.  All ATS's here come with the "sport" suspension... "performance" suspension is the upgrade to Magnetic Ride Control.  In the US, this setup would run you $46,965 before incentives.

No, the upgraded calipers don't say Brembo on them, but with a 2.0T, how important is that really?

Well.

A little more than a decade ago....my Eurotrash-snobby-ricer friends would have all said:

PsXr2c9UBsE.jpg

But in Greek.

Its just that I couldnt find a Greek meme saying that..so a Spanish one will do!!!

That ATS in that pic does look like money.

And I probably prefer the 2.0T over any other engine choice in it, excluding the 'V' Series model...

So yeah, Im on board with what Casa is saying. With one exception...Id bump the power output to north of 300 horses if I had an opinion on such matters with power to execute said opinions.

That ground effects package is lite enough.. and still classy enough that it should just be the way the car comes in all trims (except VSeries which already gets it). The ATS starts at $34,000 now. This effects package would only add another $500 (GM costs) to the price

It really is at that point that Cadillac stop messin around and do right by this model. I've driven M3s, M4s, last gen CAMGs, and IS-Fs... the ATS even in 2.0L form damn near triumphs them all.. let alone the VSeries. This car deserves a better send off before the CT3/4 arrives.

First.. kill the 2.5L. There simply isn't any plausible reason why its offered outside of offering a cheaper and justified reason to have a cheaper Caddy on the lot. That the fuel economy/cost is exactly the same.. sans the fact that one takes Premium and the other takes regular. Cost to fill a 2.5 is $37.. the 2.0L??? $8 more. Come on.. if U can't afford that.. buy a Cruze.

Engine options:

2.0L as base. 272HP

3.6L as mid    340HP  (kill this when the CT3/4 arrives in favor of a 3.0L TT with 350HP even if U have to publish BS numbers and say its only 340 for insurance sake)

3.6L TT LF3  as .. yup.. VSport   390HP. Just do it.. stop playing around. Ain't that many ATS-Vs being sold as a reason why U wouldn't want this to be on the streets to takes from its sales.

3.6L TT 464HP or.. optional (meaning people who want it.. pay for it)$3500 LT1 V8 with 480HP

Let's be clear.. this extra 15 HP can be achieved cheaply by Cadillac via a Tune, and a ported throttle body. I would also start selling from the dealership.. installed (WHATTA DEAL!!!!) a cat-back Corsa exhaust systemor GM built system that boasted the HP another 15. Price?$1900 Installed

I like your ATS engine tier proposals, Cmicasa.

However, I know you're going to say 'if you can't afford it buy a Cruze', but $1900 for 15 HP is ridiculous. You can't even perceive 15 HP behind the wheel.

Particularly at 5,500rpm.

However, I know you're going to say 'if you can't afford it buy a Cruze', but $1900 for 15 HP is ridiculous. You can't even perceive 15 HP behind the wheel.

I agree that 99.9% of people will not be able to tell the difference between the 15HP but I bet a butt load of folks could tell the difference between a V8 and V6. Yet the exhaust system does give it a very nice note! :P

Yes the cost is there, but I like the pull of a v8 over a v6 everyday.

Nope.. I'm not. What I will say is that CORSA charges $1900 for the exhaust  (Cat-Back) on many retail/online site and U still have to pay someone at least $200-400 to install if U don't.. (and who we kidding??? Most so called enthusiasts CAN'T) install it yourself. Its not just for the ponies.. but the sound. I know a guy who just put Billy Boats on his C7 because he felt as tho the NPP GM exhaust, even with baffles open 100% was not loud enough. $2100 right now on Mid-America

Why not sell a more aggressive exhaust from the factory or dealer.. and make those scraps yourself? Again.. the exhaust is optional.. Again the system would include installation.. Again.. the 15HP is in addition to the 464 or 480HP (LT1) already in the car.. meaning a 2017 ATS-V with 464+15= 479HP or 480 (LT1)+ 15= 495HP from the factory/dealer.

Please keep in mind the average buyer of these.. other Vs, Ms, AMGs, Corvettes etc.. are paying on average about $3000 in mods after purchase. Some engine.. some suspension.. some appearance. 

I agree that 99.9% of people will not be able to tell the difference between the 15HP but I bet a butt load of folks could tell the difference between a V8 and V6. Yet the exhaust system does give it a very nice note! :P

Yes the cost is there, but I like the pull of a v8 over a v6 everyday.

Yup.. if someone told me that I could get an upgraded  LT1 in the ATS-V over the LF4 TTV6 even for another $3500, I'd be on it like a bug on a light. Frankly the LT1 should be a Cadillac engine as well, simply upgraded, with the LF4 really used strictly for foreign markets where displacement is taxed. In no way does Cadillac really NEED a TTV8 when they have this engine and the LT4 at its disposal. It really makes no sense..

GM is like.. "YEAH.. we put the OHV in out $100K CTS-V and $90K Escalade.. but can't put it in the ATS, CTS, and CT6 cause its not worthy of the brand"

whaaaaaaat :confused0071: