dfelt

McLaren F1 or Non Supercar, What is YOUR Choice?

11 posts in this topic

dfelt    1,776

G. David Felt
Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com

McLaren F1 or Non Supercar, What is YOUR Choice?

post-12-0-05317000-1469639266_thumb.jpg

Road & Track pen'd a story about eight non-supercars with more power than a McLaren F1. Given the fact that many pay crazy amounts of money for a limited production run auto that seems to have a limited HP in relation to OEM production runs of normal models, one must ask:

Is a Supercar that Super anymore?

Here is the list of the 8 cars R&T have listed that they think is way better than a McLaren F1. Listed Low to High in the HP rating.

Bentley Continental GT 633HP

post-12-0-57601800-1469638944_thumb.jpg

Chevy Corvette ZR1 638HP

post-12-0-12459100-1469638948_thumb.jpg

Cadillac CTS-V 640HP

post-12-0-38117100-1469638945_thumb.jpg

Chevy Camaro 640HP

post-12-0-25499600-1469638946_thumb.jpg

Dodge Viper 645HP

post-12-0-96556300-1469638948_thumb.jpg

Chevy Corvette Z06 650HP

post-12-0-09910500-1469638947_thumb.jpg

Ford Mustang GT500 663HP

post-12-0-71702500-1469638950_thumb.jpg

Dodge Charger / Challanger 707HP

post-12-0-80403600-1469638949_thumb.jpg

BIG QUESTION For the Money and Power what would you choose?

Suaviloquent    713

Out of that list, it'd probably have to be CTS-V if I had to live with practicalities in mind.

Charger....nahhhh, I need some new blood.

Otherwise I'd probably just get a new McLaren....or Ford GT or whatever midengine GM wants to do in the next 5 years or so (if the rumours are true).

ccap41    1,162

If it will be my one vehicle it's easy to say CTS-V as nothing there really touches it. The Bentley does but no thanks. If this is a second car I'd probably want something to drive and not just be a show car so it's actually tough to decide between the ZL1(I think the body tweaks completely change the look of the car and I love it!), Z06(because it's a super car killer), or a GT500(because I can't get a Camaro over a Mustang!!!). Corvettes are super badass but I've just always liked the pony cars more, GT500 has a solid rear axle.. so that kind of leave me with the ZL1 as my second car. Noooooow if this is a third car for whatever reason I want the Mclaren! It's a timeless piece of art but I would feel bad putting miles on it if it was a second car so it really would basically be a garage and driveway queen. 

Frisky Dingo    611

Would I like to have the Greatest Sports Car ever built, or a variety of super hotted-up sedans/sedan-based coupes; a few crude, overpowered sports cars; or a heavy GT?

Uhm, how is this even a question? I'll take the F1, duh.

frogger    106

I think I would have to go with the exclusivity and my admiration of the old McLaren... Think I will go watch the old Tiff Needell review now..

On 8/22/2016 at 8:14 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

The Caddy of course. The F1 doesn't even register for me.

Great minds think alike.....!  Strike up one more for the Cadillac!

oldshurst442    989

How did I miss this thread?

Anyway...

In what context do we choose? As a daily driver? As a week-end toy car? As a garage queen trophy display car?

Either way, for me, the McLaren is a no!

daily driver: Cadillac CTS-V or even the Dodge Challenger Hellcat.

week-end toy car: Chevy Corvette Z06 or even the Dodge Challenger Hellcat.

garage queen trophy display car: Dodge Viper or even the Dodge Challenger Hellcat.

You know what?

The Dodge Challenger Hellcat is really the #1 choice for me!

Edited by oldshurst442

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      After three years of fighting, General Motors has finally gotten the green light from IP Australia to use the Corvette emblem in the country.
      Wheels Magazine reports that Australia's governing body on trademarks has rejected GM's application for the Corvette emblem four different times. The initial rejection by IP Australia was due to yellow-on-red bowtie used on the emblem looking similar to the Red Cross, "a symbol protected under international law and with deep ties to Australia’s wartime history," according to Wheels. The international law in question is the Geneva Conventions Act of 1957 which states the emblem can only be used during times of war or conflict as a “do not fire upon” marking.
      But there are some strings attached to GM's victory.
      “It is a condition of registration that, in use, the cross device contained within the trade mark will be rendered in colours other than red on a white or silver background, or white or silver on a red background,” said IP Australia.
      This is some good news for GM as rumor has it that the next-generation model - the rumored mid-engine one - is destined for Australia.
      Source: Wheels

View full article
    • By William Maley
      After three years of fighting, General Motors has finally gotten the green light from IP Australia to use the Corvette emblem in the country.
      Wheels Magazine reports that Australia's governing body on trademarks has rejected GM's application for the Corvette emblem four different times. The initial rejection by IP Australia was due to yellow-on-red bowtie used on the emblem looking similar to the Red Cross, "a symbol protected under international law and with deep ties to Australia’s wartime history," according to Wheels. The international law in question is the Geneva Conventions Act of 1957 which states the emblem can only be used during times of war or conflict as a “do not fire upon” marking.
      But there are some strings attached to GM's victory.
      “It is a condition of registration that, in use, the cross device contained within the trade mark will be rendered in colours other than red on a white or silver background, or white or silver on a red background,” said IP Australia.
      This is some good news for GM as rumor has it that the next-generation model - the rumored mid-engine one - is destined for Australia.
      Source: Wheels
    • By William Maley
      It is no secret that Chevrolet is working on a mid-engine Corvette, especially when a set of spy shots clearly showing the vehicle came out last fall. A new batch of spy shots have hit the web and we now have a better idea of what it could look like.
      The pictures reveal that the front end will look somewhat similar to the current Corvette with a pointed nose. There appears to be a curved windshield and a tapered roofline. Other pictures reveal the outline of the hood where the V8 engine resides.
      Speaking of the V8 engine, there are reports saying the mid-engine Corvette will have three engines on offer - codenamed LT2, LT6, and LT7. We know LT6 is possibly a naturally-aspirated V8 with 700 horsepower and LT7 is a twin-turbo V8. LT2 might be a hybrid of some sort.
      Everyone seems to think General Motors will unveil the mid-engine Corvette at the Detroit Auto Show next year. We'll be keeping a close eye to see if this happens.
      Source: Car and Driver, Motor1

View full article
    • By William Maley
      It is no secret that Chevrolet is working on a mid-engine Corvette, especially when a set of spy shots clearly showing the vehicle came out last fall. A new batch of spy shots have hit the web and we now have a better idea of what it could look like.
      The pictures reveal that the front end will look somewhat similar to the current Corvette with a pointed nose. There appears to be a curved windshield and a tapered roofline. Other pictures reveal the outline of the hood where the V8 engine resides.
      Speaking of the V8 engine, there are reports saying the mid-engine Corvette will have three engines on offer - codenamed LT2, LT6, and LT7. We know LT6 is possibly a naturally-aspirated V8 with 700 horsepower and LT7 is a twin-turbo V8. LT2 might be a hybrid of some sort.
      Everyone seems to think General Motors will unveil the mid-engine Corvette at the Detroit Auto Show next year. We'll be keeping a close eye to see if this happens.
      Source: Car and Driver, Motor1
    • By William Maley
      Those who crave a V8 model from Holden might not need to wait too long after the current Commodore finishes its run. Motoring has learned from sources that GM has given the go-ahead on sending the next-generation Corvette and current Camaro to Australia.
      The Corvette, which the report states will be the mid-engine model - will come as a right-hand drive model from the factory. The Camaro is a bit of a different story, however.
      According to Motoring, the Camaro will be converted to right-hand drive via conversion process done by Walkinshaw Group - the people behind Holden Special Vehicles (HSV). Walkinshaw Group boss Ryan Walkinshaw and HSV's Tim Jackson were lobbying GM to back this project for a bit and it seems their efforts may have paid off. Mark Reuss, Executive Vice President of GM's global development and former head of Holden is said to be a fan of this project.
      Why did Walkinshaw want GM's backing? This will give them discount pricing on Camaros they bring in. The report says Walkinshaw is aiming for sub-$90,000 AUD (about $71,000) pricetag for a high-spec SS version. 
      Holden and HSV Dealers have been allegedly told about this plan.
      HSV declined to comment on this report, but sources say an announcement is imminent. 
      This could be only for the current generation Camaro. As reported back in March, GM is working on a right-drive version of the next-generation Camaro - due in 2021.
      Source: Motoring.com.au
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)