William Maley

Chevrolet News:Chevrolet To Go After Volkswagen's Diesel Customers With Upcoming Cruze Diesel

14 posts in this topic

It may seem odd to try and draw customers who would have gone with a Volkswagen diesel to yours in this current climate. But that is what GM is planning to do when the diesel version of the Chevrolet Cruze arrives next year.

“There are a lot of diesel intenders and diesel-loyal people who are looking for a brand and vehicles to go after,” said Dan Nicholson, General Motors’ vice president for global propulsion systems to Automotive News.

“They tend to be more tech savvy than the average customer. And they won’t stop wishing for a diesel. And we’ll go after those customers.”

But one has to wonder how big that group of customers is. Considering a fair amount of buyers of Volkswagen's TDI models bought it because it was 'clean', we have to think that the group interested in buying one is small. That isn't deterring Nicholson.

“I am very optimistic about the diesel market in the U.S. It has been abandoned by others and we are happy to step in and be the leader. Frankly that’s what we’d like to do.”

The new diesel engine will displace 1.6 liters and is expected to produce 136 horsepower and 275 pound-feet of torque.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Click here to view the article
  • Upvote 1

Well, they'd have to also untie the engine with a specific trim.

That was the disaster with the former Cruze diesel, people who just wanted the epic FE, had to pony up for the highest trim.

Well, with even VW TDI you had to opt for a model above base, but that's not too bad.

Be interesting to see if it can produce Monster Fuel Economy or just as good MPG as the Hybrids.

Personally, I think Diesel had it's day and that day is over. Hybrid and EVs time is now.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

*puts ear to tracks*  I hear that little locomotive coming!

Is it Wheezing or Blowing? ;)

Is it Wheezing or Blowing? ;)

I hear the train a comin'

It's rolling round the bend

And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when,

I'm stuck in Folsom prison, and time keeps draggin' on

But that train keeps a rollin' on down to San Antone..

When I was just a baby my mama told me. Son,

Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns.

But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die

When I hear that whistle blowing, I hang my head and cry..

Edited by oldshurst442

“They tend to be more tech savvy than the average customer. And they won’t stop wishing for a diesel. And we’ll go after those customers.”

“They tend to be more tech savvy than the average customer."

Marketing bullshyte.....

I would assume that these tech savvy folk would go for a Bolt or a Volt more likely than a Cruze Diesel...

"And they won’t stop wishing for a diesel."

Well, that part is true...diesel loyalists are a very faithful bunch.

That aint news to anybody, so there was no need for that marketing bullsyte fluff saying that diesel people are more tech savvy than the average customer...

Because the way I view it....some diesel people can be quite neanderthal-ic...(I could do MOPAR and Ford diesels, but Ill stick to the Bow Tie guys since this is about the Chevy Diesels Cruze...

coal-rolling-d-bag-number-69-550x412.jpg

tumblr_mnbw56gd051rs2nk5o1_1280.jpg

rolling-coal-lead-628.jpg

Which leads me to the next sentence in the 3 sentence quote:

"And we’ll go after those customers.”

Im sure its an honest to goodness great business plan to go after a niche market that has been left void because of this VW scandal...and its a SMART business choice to go after these people.

However:

1. Not all VW diesel buyers bought diesels because they LOVE diesels...(look to point #3)

2. Even some hardcore diesel lovers were put off by this scandal...which Chevy says they are more tech savvy, well, they might just switch to the more tech laden Bolt and Volt...shooting themselves in the bloody foot is what this marketing fluff Dan Nicholson is doing...

3.  That is the thing....the REAL hardcore diesel lovers that are supposedly more tech savvy than the rest of us are VW TDi LOVERS and are faithful ONLY TO VOLKSWAGEN....NOT OPEL and CERTAINLY NOT CHEVY!!!

Now, I would probably have applauded this move because it really is the smart thing to do to go after a people who now have a void for their next vehicle purchase. I just dont like the marketing PR bullshyte fluffy words chosen.

Especially when in GM's OWN stable...tech savvy consumers are buying a SECOND GENERATION Volt rather than a VW TDi...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 2

Here are more tech savvy diesel folk that are more tech savvy than the rest of us...and these guys are the real deal tech savvy diesel folk.

The VW TDi tech savvy folk that GM is after:

137598-modifikasi-mobil-fail.jpg

Image_4554756_308_0.jpg

651093coalroad.jpg

GM should also be stealing potential customers from GTI and RS

Id honestly aim for that target market rather than the diesel one.

Why?

1. Honda came back to this market and Ford is doing OK with it in North America while in Europe, this segment is still ballin'

The segment is hot enough for money to be made and a situation to keep loyalty with the consumers with the Chevy car brand.

2. Chevy already has the vehicles to lure high tech savvy MPG chasers in the Bolt and Volt.

3. Like I said, VW TDi faithful prolly wont look at the Chevy Cruze Diesel.

OK...It wont cost GM anything to try though to get the diesel people. But Id try to lure the speedy segment too.

A proper Sonic SS

A proper Cruise SS

A turbo ecotec Camaro

A 3 pronged attack in the small turbo 3 or 4 cylinder engine hot hatch, tuner segment  Chevrolet family...

Kinda like this commercial suggested way back when with a Cobalt and a Vette

Edited by oldshurst442

well my bigger point was that there is no reason not to be hitting all of those mini-segments as it would cost them very little in terms of investment as the vehicles essentially already exist within their portfolio. The Cruze really only needs a more powerful engine and a sportier suspension. It currently is a compact luxury car for all intents. The Sonic only needs a more powerful engine. Its suspension set-up in the RS is quite doable. This doesn't take away or suggest that the Diesel Cruze should not exist. It is a welcome part of the puzzle. In fact.. the diesel option should also be allowed to avail in the 'Nox and Trax

GM should also be stealing potential customers from GTI and RS

I wish they had the nuts to do to. More hot hatch comparisons are awesome!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      The Volkswagen Jetta is an important model for the North American market and a new model is just over the horizon. Volkswagen North America CEO Hinrich Woebcken recently spoke with journalists at the Redbull Global Rallycross Championship in Los Angeles and dropped some interesting details about the next-generation Jetta.
      The new Jetta will make its debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January. Design-wise, Woebcken said it would have coupe-like form and promises to be "great-looking". Dealers were shown the vehicle back in April and were “extremely excited” about it. Woebcken also said the new Jetta will be given the "North American touch, not always in terms of lower costs or less content, but in specific needs for the market.”
      A few other bits of information about the next Jetta
      An R-Line model will be available within three months of the launch - possibly spring A manual transmission will be available at launch. Concerns about the manual going away stem from the 2018 GLI not having this option. As for the GLI itself, the new version will launch a year after the regular Jetta The next-generation Passat was also briefly mentioned. Woebcken said the model would launch sometime in 2019 and described the design as “not evolutionary, but really exciting exterior design.”
      Source: Motor Trend
      Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers & Gears

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The Volkswagen Jetta is an important model for the North American market and a new model is just over the horizon. Volkswagen North America CEO Hinrich Woebcken recently spoke with journalists at the Redbull Global Rallycross Championship in Los Angeles and dropped some interesting details about the next-generation Jetta.
      The new Jetta will make its debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January. Design-wise, Woebcken said it would have coupe-like form and promises to be "great-looking". Dealers were shown the vehicle back in April and were “extremely excited” about it. Woebcken also said the new Jetta will be given the "North American touch, not always in terms of lower costs or less content, but in specific needs for the market.”
      A few other bits of information about the next Jetta
      An R-Line model will be available within three months of the launch - possibly spring A manual transmission will be available at launch. Concerns about the manual going away stem from the 2018 GLI not having this option. As for the GLI itself, the new version will launch a year after the regular Jetta The next-generation Passat was also briefly mentioned. Woebcken said the model would launch sometime in 2019 and described the design as “not evolutionary, but really exciting exterior design.”
      Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers & Gears
    • By William Maley
      The news isn't getting any better at General Motors' CAMI plant where workers have been on strike for a month after the automaker and Canadian union Unifor were unable to reach an agreement. Already, the strike has caused GM to make adjustments and idle some of their plants in North America, and there are concerns about the shrinking stock of Chevrolet Equinoxes. 
      But now the stakes have been raised. According to Reuters and Automotive News, General Motors issued a warning to leaders at Unifor that it will start winding down production of the Equinox at CAMI unless the strike is called off. Unifor leader Jerry Dias was told by GM officials that the automaker would begin ramping up Equinox production at the San Luis Potosi and Ramos Arizpe, Mexico plants if the strike was not called off.
      "GM just told us today that they are going to ramp up production in Mexico. They have declared war on Canada," Diaz told Reuters.
      GM had no immediate comment on Dias' statement when reached by Reuters.
      According to a source at GM, the discussions between them and Unifor have been going nowhere and there is "a high degree of frustration." Because of this, GM is planning to study how quickly key suppliers for the Equinox could move their operations down to Mexico. No final decision on CAMI's fate has been decided according to the source, but the time frame for getting a deal done is narrowing.
      Mexico has been the dividing point between GM and Unifor. The union objected to GM's decision to lay off 600 workers at CAMI when it moved production of the GMC Terrain to Mexico. Unifor wants CAMI to be the lead plant for Equinox production by "giving it more production if Equinox sales rise and making it the last to scale back production if sales fall." But GM has invested $800 million into the plant for retooling to build the new Equinox. The automaker believes this should be enough commitment and putting it into writing isn't necessary. According to the source, there is no such language in any of the other union contracts.
      The strike has gotten so bad that the Government of Ontario has stepped in, urging both groups to resolve this rift.
      “I feel like we’re engaged in a poker game, but the interests of Ontario are sitting on the table right now,” said Brad Duguid, Ontario's Economic Development Minister.
      “It’s an uncomfortable place to be, obviously, and we’d really like to urge the parties to find a resolution to this as quickly as possible before permanent damage is done.”
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters
    • By William Maley
      The news isn't getting any better at General Motors' CAMI plant where workers have been on strike for a month after the automaker and Canadian union Unifor were unable to reach an agreement. Already, the strike has caused GM to make adjustments and idle some of their plants in North America, and there are concerns about the shrinking stock of Chevrolet Equinoxes. 
      But now the stakes have been raised. According to Reuters and Automotive News, General Motors issued a warning to leaders at Unifor that it will start winding down production of the Equinox at CAMI unless the strike is called off. Unifor leader Jerry Dias was told by GM officials that the automaker would begin ramping up Equinox production at the San Luis Potosi and Ramos Arizpe, Mexico plants if the strike was not called off.
      "GM just told us today that they are going to ramp up production in Mexico. They have declared war on Canada," Diaz told Reuters.
      GM had no immediate comment on Dias' statement when reached by Reuters.
      According to a source at GM, the discussions between them and Unifor have been going nowhere and there is "a high degree of frustration." Because of this, GM is planning to study how quickly key suppliers for the Equinox could move their operations down to Mexico. No final decision on CAMI's fate has been decided according to the source, but the time frame for getting a deal done is narrowing.
      Mexico has been the dividing point between GM and Unifor. The union objected to GM's decision to lay off 600 workers at CAMI when it moved production of the GMC Terrain to Mexico. Unifor wants CAMI to be the lead plant for Equinox production by "giving it more production if Equinox sales rise and making it the last to scale back production if sales fall." But GM has invested $800 million into the plant for retooling to build the new Equinox. The automaker believes this should be enough commitment and putting it into writing isn't necessary. According to the source, there is no such language in any of the other union contracts.
      The strike has gotten so bad that the Government of Ontario has stepped in, urging both groups to resolve this rift.
      “I feel like we’re engaged in a poker game, but the interests of Ontario are sitting on the table right now,” said Brad Duguid, Ontario's Economic Development Minister.
      “It’s an uncomfortable place to be, obviously, and we’d really like to urge the parties to find a resolution to this as quickly as possible before permanent damage is done.”
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      We've seen spy shots of the mid-engine Chevrolet Corvette in the snow and at GM's proving grounds. Now, we have a set of spy shots of a mid-engine Corvette at a McDonalds' drive-thru.
      The pictures were captured by a Motor Trend reader in Cadillac, Michigan (northwest of Detroit). The test mule was undergoing some public road testing and it appears there was a current Corvette and what appears to be a Porsche 911. Despite the heavy amount of camouflage, you can make out some Corvette cues such as similar front-end styling as the current model and hood cutout. The double-bubble roof is present as is a set of new wheels that are presumed to be production ones.
      We'll find out what Chevrolet has in store sometime next year.

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)