William Maley

Dodge News: Dodge Challenger T/A and Charger Daytona Return for 2017

21 posts in this topic

William Maley    394

Before the 2016 Woodward Dream Cruise kicks off in Detroit later this week, Dodge has revealed two heritage-inspired packages: the 2017 Challenger T/A and Charger Daytona.

The Challenger T/A package adds “air catcher” headlights, ducted hood and modified cool air box from the Hellcat; new exhaust system, and wider wheels. The T/A also adds the 'Super Track Pak' which includes a lowered suspension, high-performance Bilstein shock absorbers, performance brake linings, a three-mode electronic stability control (ESC) system, and a set of Goodyear F1 tires. Outside, the hood is finished in satin black along with various accents. This package is available with either the 5.7 or 6.4L HEMI V8. If you opt for the 6.4, you will get a set of Brembo brakes. Prices will range from $38,485 to $45,090. (All prices include a $1,095 destination charge).

The Charger Daytona features all of the same improvements as the T/A, along with a beefier rear differential, large rear wing, satin black roof, and Daytona graphics. Prices range from $40,985 to $46,090. The order books will open in September for the Charger, with the Challenger following a month later.

Source: Dodge

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

oldshurst442    989

That is all these cars have left....small incremental improvements, different style air scoops and vents from the previous years and just rehash old sentimental trims like T/A and Superbee monikers....and from time to time go all crazy and do Hellcat type stuff.

Not that this latest T/A with the 6.4 liter Hemi with the Brembo package wont be of any interest to me, because it will be....especially that it will look like a Hellcat, but as the years roll in with these LX cars, the more old they seem.

Long in the tooth maybe too strong of a description, but maybe its because I have blinders on for these cars and I dont want to admit to that statement fully!

dfelt    1,777

Cool stuff, but I am seeing more and more stories about how old and dated the Dodge product line is and how FCA is doing nothing to update them. FCA could very well be the death of Dodge, Chrysler and Ram, they can always sell Jeep, but the others are looking more and more dated. 

FCA - Worlds Worst Managed Car Company.

Sad  :nono:

• Upvote 1

FAPTurbo    1,080

Dodge is not even pretending to be relevant anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

El Kabong    273

The options may not be to everyone's taste and they do bump the price up quite a bit. But for those looking for something a half-size larger than the Mustang/Camaro then it's the only game in town. Get a Scat Pack 392 and you even get competitive power-to-weight and pricing. Hopefully the Giulia platform arrives sooner rather than later (never?). But in the meantime, this is still a decent alternative.

FordCosworth    128

Challenger T/A was Dodge's answer for SCCA Trans Am eligibility, like the Boss 302 and Z/28.

The reincarnation of both the Boss and Z/28 ( and now GT350/R ) was done right. Both very special cars. The T/A, not so much.

dfelt    1,777

Wonder when the Camaro / Mustang EV will  appear? We have the ability to do a 300 mile battery pack and the white Zombie and 222 have both shown performance is not a problem. I think we could capture a large Millennium crowd with an EV performance version.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Stew    341

Which you say simply because ou are a Ford fan.  The formula for all 34 is pretty similar.  Suspension, brakes, looks, and power tweaks.  What exactly makes one more special than the other?  Enlighten me?

Challenger T/A was Dodge's answer for SCCA Trans Am eligibility, like the Boss 302 and Z/28.

The reincarnation of both the Boss and Z/28 ( and now GT350/R ) was done right. Both very special cars. The T/A, not so much.

• Downvote 1

ccap41    1,162

Usually a big ole weight reduction by removing back seats, spare tires, sound deadening materials, radios, HVAC... As far as I know this doesn't do any of those like the GT350R(Boss 302) or Z/28, like their names imply.

Edited by ccap41
  • Upvote 1

Stew    341

I love these.  For 45 grand the Charger Daytona 392 is probably my favorite with the 6 piston Brembos and wider Hellcat tires and wheels and style for 5 grand less than the SRT 392.  The TA is a nice package too.  The Scat Packs, SRTs, and hellcats already have pretty impressive handling for their size and this takes it that step further.  The 15 upgrades makes this feel nothing like an old platform and completely different from the older LX cars.  With the SS gone and Ford only offering the Lame duck SHO that is actually based on an amazingly outdated platform from 1997 and the lukewarm Fusion Sport these really offer a performance and value proposition for sedans and performance cars that actually haul people that simply cannot even bet equaled, let alone beat. 

As far as looks, mustang isn't that much of a jump from the 05 models and the Camaro is a smaller version of the 06 concept and 10 to 14 models. 

Stew    341

Usually a big ole weight reduction by removing back seats, spare tires, sound deadening materials, radios, HVAC... As far as I know this doesn't do any of those like the GT350R(Boss 302) or Z/28, like their names imply.

It doesn't say it is an r version and is half the price of a gt350r or Z28.  the original street TAs and Daytonas didn't have that either. 

Guest Mahn Dingo   
Guest Mahn Dingo

The T/A has the advantage of being an excellent daily driver.  You simply can’t do that with a Z or a 350R, which are specifically designed for track use, and cost far more money. Not even a contest. Try driving the R with no A/C this hot summer.  I would not even get in it.  The thing is, all 3 cars would be fun to drive. Crossing a finish line in a race 1st, instead of 3rd, does not increase that smile any more.  Especially if there is no money in the contest.  I like what they did with the Challenger, but I have to say, it really is getting a bit too familiar.  Something new and striking would be much appreciated.

ccap41    1,162

It doesn't say it is an r version and is half the price of a gt350r or Z28.  the original street TAs and Daytonas didn't have that either.

It is not a 31k car, that is for sure. Way to play the fanboy car immediately Hahaha
  • Upvote 1

Stew    341

It is not a 31k car, that is for sure. Way to play the fanboy car immediately Hahaha

Who said it was?  It is what, 38k for starters?  GT350R is what 63?  Z28 75?

ccap41    1,162

You said half the price.. Half of $61,xxx(we'll round up to $62,000) is $31,000. You said it was half the price. Hence, 31k. Z/28 isn't currently being made but yes, it is half of what that car MSRP'd for and half the car the Z/28 is too. ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Stew    341

You said half the price.. Half of $61,xxx(we'll round up to $62,000) is $31,000. You said it was half the price. Hence, 31k. Z/28 isn't currently being made but yes, it is half of what that car MSRP'd for and half the car the Z/28 is too. ;)

LMAO, I didn't mean literally.  it was a little exaggeration to carry the story along.  like when a woman says she has only been with 2 guys in her life, but you went to school with her and know she meant in the last 2 hours.....

Stew    341

Just a little exaggeration, you have a bad habit of taking everything too literal....

• Upvote 1

ccap41    1,162

Which you say simply because ou are a Ford fan.  The formula for all 34 is pretty similar.  Suspension, brakes, looks, and power tweaks.  What exactly makes one more special than the other?  Enlighten me?

And you didn't bring in the "seriousness" with this post, first? I thought the whole "emoji" thing kept it light and easy but apparently if you're taking the wrong side you always appear too serious.. *shrugs shoulders*

• Upvote 1

Stew    341

Ha, no, I am just being nutty myself.  I am literally nutty today, believe me.  Doc decided to change my anxiety meds and hearing our eyes mood because o withdrawals does funny things haha. 

oldshurst442    989
11 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Challenger is 'meh'. Charger looks sweet.

I am of the opposite opinion of yours. I am tiring of the Charger's looks, and of the Chrysler 300.

But I cant get enough of the Challenger. For sure I want a new look/new platformed Challenger to grace our presence.  I am more than happy to own  a 2016/2017 Challenger as is.