Drew Dowdell

MAJOR SOFTWARE UPDATE COMING THIS WEEK!

I finally have a successful test upgrade of the software complete. I will be pulling the trigger on the upgrade sometime this week.  It takes about 12 hours to complete the initial upgrade before I can let you back in, then here is 24 hours of background upgrading where search won't work and posts might not look right.   The speed of the site is greatly improved and also improved mobile support. 

Please note - Your current display name, if different from your log-in name, will become your new log-in name. You should also be able to use your email address to log in.  Of course I will also make my email available for anyone who has log-in difficulties. 

This is a major step for us, but it will enable some exciting new stuff that we can add in the future. 

Regards,

Drew

:pbjtime:  :gitfunky:  :pbjtime:  :gitfunky:  :pbjtime:  :gitfunky:

Very excited to see the new software. Does it have optional interface choices?

For the moment, we will be keeping the look and feel as close as we can to what we have today.  I don't want to do too much major change all at once.  Think 5th Gen Camaro to 6th Gen Camaro - It looks mostly alike, but everything underneath is all new and substantially upgraded with superior performance. 

For the moment, we will be keeping the look and feel as close as we can to what we have today.  I don't want to do too much major change all at once.  Think 5th Gen Camaro to 6th Gen Camaro - It looks mostly alike, but everything underneath is all new and substantially upgraded with superior performance. 

If for some reason I have to revert us to this version of the software. Posts after this date/time will be lost.

If the upgrade is successful, posts after this data/time will remain.

And we're back!  The upgrade was successful.  You may notice some posts or articles that are not properly formatted.  The server is currently processing those posts and will fix all of the formatting over the next 36 hours.  

• Upvote 1

Hey Drew, I am thinking this is what you mean by formatting, but currently my Chrome browser looks like this:

001-NewView.jpg

Weird, but edge on the same page looks fine, but Firefox also looks just like chrome.

The main point is that we're now on much more modern web technologies. The site works far better in mobile than it did before. It allows us a new platform for future expansion. And once the database update tasks finish up overnight, the site will be even faster than it is now.

There is still work to be done with the article templates, but I didn't want to hold the upgrade back any further to wait for those to be completed.

I kept the look as close as I could to the original so I didn't overwhelm people post upgrade, however a new look and logo is coming soon too.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Now that you "mention" it @dfelt, check out what everyone can do now.  I do like the new logo that @Intrepidation made for us.

Was everyone else not able to see the new logo? I am so sorry, I thought when Intrepidation mentioned it that everyone could see it. Sorry guys. :lol:

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No, everyone could see it @dfelt, I was just demonstrating the new mention system.

Very cool, had no idea we could mention folks like that. Awesome @Drew Dowdell

Alright, I'm gonna be in the minority of one by saying this, but I hate the new website.

I feel like there is information overload. Is there like a basic stripped down version of this new site?

Like I've had a lot of time to get used to it, and even though everything is familiar, something just seems off. I don't use the mobile version so no benefit there, but I know that as much as I grumble and whine how it all feels off, there's probably not much to be done to placate the minority of one, know what I'm saying. The greater good leaves some people behind. and I accept that reality instead of substituting my own.

• Upvote 2

Nothing specific really. Just boot up the old computron, type in the address in URL and boom, this website is just so much now.

Everything looks pretty and all....but uh, yeah. I find there's just so many buttons, clicky things, and I usually do the same thing all the time - head straight to the forum where I then read about the staff reviews, new car tech, new car news and all the good stuffs.

Just a general feeling. I mean, if you have screenshots of the old site, and new one, maybe maybe maybe. Maybe maybe maybe....maybe maybe. Yup. 

too-much-stuff-meme-1024x793.jpg

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook