Jump to content
  • Greetings Guest!

    CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

Fiat News: Rumorpile: A Fiat 124 Coupe Is Said To Be In the Works

Recommended Posts

Fiat is possibly adding another derivative of its Miata-based 124. Autocar has learned from sources that the Italian automaker is working a coupe variant. Unlike the retractable hardtop used on the MX-5 Miata RF, Fiat is keeping it simple by designing a regular coupe. It would also give a bit more differentiation between the 124 and Miata.

We have a possible idea of where Fiat could go with the 124 coupe by looking at Abarth 124 Rally concept that appears to have a hardtop fitted permanently. Some sources say Fiat could change the design of the rear to better integrate the coupe roofline. 

Power is currently undecided at the moment. Certain markets could get a 1.4L four-cylinder with 138 horsepower, while others may get the turbocharged 1.4L with 158 horsepower. There is talk about an Abarth model with 178 horsepower and limited-slip differential.

Autocar says the 124 Coupe could be shown as soon as next year. 

Source: Autocar


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dfelt said:

:puke: That is one ugly car.

Well, that's the racer... it's supposed to win on speed, not beauty...

I find the civilian version to actually be rather fetching. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Well, that's the racer... it's supposed to win on speed, not beauty...

I find the civilian version to actually be rather fetching. 

@Drew Dowdell Help me understand what is in the design that you find fetching? I grew up building Mustang and Camaro racers and have loved race cars, but the Miata is one auto I just could never find appealing and I hear from you and others about the Fiat and just do not see what draws the attention and I want to understand at least what I am missing about the design language of this auto. 

I do not see masculine wheel wells, the front end and back end are to me just average. I honestly just see a rebadge of the Miata with the Fiat logo.

Appreciate you telling me what strikes your fancy on this car. Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dfelt said:

@Drew Dowdell Help me understand what is in the design that you find fetching? I grew up building Mustang and Camaro racers and have loved race cars, but the Miata is one auto I just could never find appealing and I hear from you and others about the Fiat and just do not see what draws the attention and I want to understand at least what I am missing about the design language of this auto. 

I do not see masculine wheel wells, the front end and back end are to me just average. I honestly just see a rebadge of the Miata with the Fiat logo.

Appreciate you telling me what strikes your fancy on this car. Thank you

I'm not that big a fan of the Miata.  It's okay, inoffensive, but doesn't really light my fire (few cars without "faces" do).

The 124:

1. Has a face. The Mazda only recently gained a face, but it's not one that I care for much. 

2. They extended the nose up and out about 3 to 4 inches over the Miata giving it a longer looking hood.  As you can see in my signature, I like the long hood look. 

3. It somewhat reminds me of the older british roadsters like the MG and Triumph, which I like. I know it's supposed to remind me of the old Fiat 124, but I never really had any experience with them growing up like I did with the MG and Triumph. 

4. It's built by Mazda rather than Fiat, so I don't have to worry too much about reliability. 

5. I'm not hung up on masculinity in my vehicles.  I drive a white Grandma's car and a little black egg of a Buick.

 

2016-Fiat-124-Spider.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Drew Dowdell You Rock! :metal: Appreciate the points and I see what you mean when I look at the photo you included about the longer hood. That does look better than the Miata.

Thank you,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Fiat 124 looks plenty masculine in itself.
 Because of the little differences that Fiat did over the Miata as Drew pointed out.

Let us not forget that Fiat put some Italian flair to it. And we all know that sometimes, Italians know how to beautify things. Yes. Yes. Sometimes those designs are not masculine at all and very feminine with all kinds of curves. Its still sexy.

Very masuline this is:

limited-edition-50th-anniversary-shelby-

 

Or is it?

Its got very curvaceous body work... Yes....the open gaping mouth, little hood vent,  side pipes and 427 under the hood make it macho....remember...the less version of this car looks like this:

ac_cobra_01.jpg?11223

The aggressive paint job on the abarth minimizes the curvaceousness of the front fenders, not that they are imposing to begin with, but that paint job is very macho.

Alls it takes to make the Fiat 124 into a "427 Cobra" is an LS swap, bulgier front and rear fenders, open gaping mouth and side pipes....

abarth_124_spider_01.jpg?itok=iISfgrbs

 

Then we will probably end up with something like this....(with a LS rather than a V10)

Dodge-Viper-srt10-600x450.jpg

Besides, most European sports cars are designed with a more  feminine sexiness in mind rather than agressive masculine ruggedness of American sports cars. 

This latest Miata is most definitely more macho than all other Miatas before it...

That is my take on it anyway...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh....I dont know how I feel for a coupe version....

I think if I was in the market for a Miata or a Fiat 124, I think Id buy the roadster and Fiat 124...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fiat 124 is far more feminine than the very Macho Cobra! :D

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Oh....I dont know how I feel for a coupe version....

I think if I was in the market for a Miata or a Fiat 124, I think Id buy the roadster and Fiat 124...

See, I've long wanted one of those old British roadsters for me and my partner to go touring in, but I don't want the headache of keeping an old British roadster running, having to buy special tools, etc.  I just want it to be a car to enjoy, not a car to wrench on.

The Miata is supposed to deliver that sort of experience, however its looks just leave me limp.   If I ever do this, it will be the 124 or a used Saturn Sky, or a BMW Z3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Drew

Saturn Sky or even the Pontiac Solstice are nicely sculpted cars, yes.

I can never do a BMW Z3. The Z8 is my style.  That Fiat 124 really hits my buttons though, as much as the A/C Shelby Cobra, Pontiac Solstice, BMW Z8 have.  (I really really love the BMW Z8)

Come to think of it, the perfect Fiat 124 Abarth for me to emulate a British Roadster with guts under the hood (like an A/C Shelby Cobra) would be that 3.9 liter V8 engine from the BMW M5/Z8.

I just saw a dream  fantasy car being born right before me.

I would love to buy a Fiat 124 roadster and engine swap it and drop in that BMW "4.0" V8....

 

 

I TRIED DOING THAT "@ name" THINGY AND IT DID NOT WORK. MAYBE ITS BECAUSE I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO IT....Hmmmmm.

Edited by oldshurst442

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm not that big a fan of the Miata.  It's okay, inoffensive, but doesn't really light my fire (few cars without "faces" do).

The 124:

1. Has a face. The Mazda only recently gained a face, but it's not one that I care for much. 

2. They extended the nose up and out about 3 to 4 inches over the Miata giving it a longer looking hood.  As you can see in my signature, I like the long hood look. 

3. It somewhat reminds me of the older british roadsters like the MG and Triumph, which I like. I know it's supposed to remind me of the old Fiat 124, but I never really had any experience with them growing up like I did with the MG and Triumph. 

4. It's built by Mazda rather than Fiat, so I don't have to worry too much about reliability. 

5. I'm not hung up on masculinity in my vehicles.  I drive a white Grandma's car and a little black egg of a Buick.

 

2016-Fiat-124-Spider.jpg

Isn't the 124 using a Fiat tranny and motor? If so, I'm not sure how that makes it as reliable as the Miata. It actually does look better in person though. I pass by a Fiat dealership everyday and see four or five of those by the road and they have actually grown on me. I still wouldn't have one (or the Miata for that matter) but it is definitely the nicest looking Fiat out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1.4T from Fiat is actually one of the bright spots in the FCA 4-cylinder lineup.  I doubt they're using a Fiat 6-speed manual.... what other RWD manual transmission cars in this size class does Fiat have.... no, they're probably just putting the Mazda unit in there. 

edit: confirmed, the 6-speed manual is a Mazda unit.  I don't know what the automatic is, but I don't care because I would never buy it that way. 

edit 2: The automatic is a mazda unit as well. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

@Drew

Saturn Sky or even the Pontiac Solstice are nicely sculpted cars, yes.

I can never do a BMW Z3. The Z8 is my style.  That Fiat 124 really hits my buttons though, as much as the A/C Shelby Cobra, Pontiac Solstice, BMW Z8 have.  (I really really love the BMW Z8)

Come to think of it, the perfect Fiat 124 Abarth for me to emulate a British Roadster with guts under the hood (like an A/C Shelby Cobra) would be that 3.9 liter V8 engine from the BMW M5/Z8.

I just saw a dream  fantasy car being born right before me.

I would love to buy a Fiat 124 roadster and engine swap it and drop in that BMW "4.0" V8....

 

 

I TRIED DOING THAT "@ name" THINGY AND IT DID NOT WORK. MAYBE ITS BECAUSE I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO IT....Hmmmmm.

@oldshurst442 You need to use the @ sign and start typing the handle of the person, You will see a pop up window and you then click on the persons handle. This puts in the @ blue box. If you do not see the popup window, then you have popup blocker turned on in your browser and you need to add C&G to your safe site list to allow popups.

@image.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanx for treating me like a dumb-ass with the over explained visuals...you know, with the red circles and the pointer as if I dont know my own handle...

:angry:

Just kidding!

:roflmao:

Well what do you know??!!!

IT WORKS!!! :thumbsup:

@dfelt  you rock!:metal:

 

 

 

Edited by oldshurst442

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Thanx for treating me like a dumb-ass with the over explained visuals...you know, with the red circles and the pointer as if I dont know my own handle...

:angry:

Just kidding!

:roflmao:

Well what do you know??!!!

IT WORKS!!! :thumbsup:

@dfelt  you rock!:metal:

 

 

 

:roflmao: Sorry do not mean to treat anyone like a dumbass. As a computer engineer who builds virtual setups to train people worldwide on Enterprise Storage, I am in the habit of clearly marking up the screen to make sure everyone including english as a second language know what to do. :P

At 6'6" tall 280lbs you can pound on me all you want as I can take it. :D After all, I am built like a Rock!, American Strong, Like a timex, take a licken and keeps on ticken! :roflmao: 

Will always try my best to help. Glad you got it figured out now. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dfelt 

Quote

Glad you got it figured out now.  -_-

Thanx alot for being condescending  you arrogant piece of... :cussing:

 

Yes. Yes. I took the liberty to do some creative editing in your post for the humor effect. You being 6'6''/280, and I at 5'6.5"/170ish, I wont be being too mouthy with you buddy! :D

 

OK, back to the Fiat 124 coupe.

Serious question:

Does Fiat have the engineering plans and intellectual materials and access to the production facilities to do this on their own or will Mazda be doing it for them?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure Mazda will be doing the actual work. FCA seems to be content to outsource most of this car to Mazda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

You being 6'6''/280, and I at 5'6.5"/170ish, I wont be being too mouthy with you buddy! :D

@oldshurst442 I think you have the need, the need for some speed!

Time to take your car out for a serious drive and let the wind in your hair, tunes blasting and think back to those awesome ALF episodes!

:smilewide:

Need another cat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The 1.4T from Fiat is actually one of the bright spots in the FCA 4-cylinder lineup.  I doubt they're using a Fiat 6-speed manual.... what other RWD manual transmission cars in this size class does Fiat have.... no, they're probably just putting the Mazda unit in there. 

edit: confirmed, the 6-speed manual is a Mazda unit.  I don't know what the automatic is, but I don't care because I would never buy it that way. 

edit 2: The automatic is a mazda unit as well. 

That's good about the tranny but I'm very old school with Fiat. I remember why they had to stop selling in the country three decades ago. I just don't trust their motors at all. If the 1.4L changes that, then that is a good start for them. Now if they could just stop screwing everything else up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

That's good about the tranny but I'm very old school with Fiat. I remember why they had to stop selling in the country three decades ago. I just don't trust their motors at all. If the 1.4L changes that, then that is a good start for them. Now if they could just stop screwing everything else up. 

The 1.4T is in many Jeep Renegades and Dodge Darts..... it's the engine that people don't complain about.... the 2.4 is the awful one, but that came from a Chrysler/Hyundai/Mitsubishi collaboration, so it's hardly surprising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The 1.4T is in many Jeep Renegades and Dodge Darts..... it's the engine that people don't complain about.... the 2.4 is the awful one, but that came from a Chrysler/Hyundai/Mitsubishi collaboration, so it's hardly surprising. 

C&D don't seem all that fond of the 1.4L T in the 124 Roadster.

 

" Fiat’s biggest misstep—adding power—actually seems like a good idea on paper. The reality is that the 1.4-liter turbo is a lag-filled look at the pitfalls of turbocharging. Below 2500 rpm, the engine appears to run on Sleepytime tea. A saunter from 30 to 50 mph in sixth gear takes 13.6 seconds, almost three seconds longer than the ­Miata’s time, and only a half-second quicker than a manual Ford Focus with the 1.0-liter three-cylinder. Waiting this long is usually accompanied by an old issue of People ­magazine or Highlights for Children. And yes, we realize that any sentient driver would downshift when faced with such a delay, but our top-gear acceleration test does highlight the car’s complete lack of motivation before the turbo wakes up. "

" When the boost finally makes an appearance, it comes on all of a sudden. And that surge of acceleration tapers off quickly past the 5500-rpm power peak. Launched with a 4400-rpm clutch drop, the Spider will arrive at 60 mph in 6.7 seconds, a significant half-second behind the Mazda. "

 

2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online



  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      A new report from Autocar says that Mercedes-AMG is proposing a new entry-level sports car to take on the Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman. The model is being presented as a indirect replacement to the slow selling SLC to Mercedes-Benz’s board of management. According to sources, the model is in the "conceptual stage" and needs approval from the board.
      But it is clear that AMG has given some thought if this project is given the green light. The design is said to have clear links to the upcoming Project One hypercar, and come in a coupe and convertible. For power, Autocar says the turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder that will be used in both the new A35 and A45 hot hatches. Output will range from around 300 to more than 400 horsepower. There is a possibility of the engine being placed in a mid-mounted setup.
       “A lot of thought has gone into how Mercedes-AMG can better leverage its success in motorsport, particularly Formula 1 and endurance racing. One idea is a sports car that is relatively attainable financially and ideally suited to track day running. But it is just an idea and not a committed project right now,” said a source.
      Source: Autocar

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      A new report from Autocar says that Mercedes-AMG is proposing a new entry-level sports car to take on the Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman. The model is being presented as a indirect replacement to the slow selling SLC to Mercedes-Benz’s board of management. According to sources, the model is in the "conceptual stage" and needs approval from the board.
      But it is clear that AMG has given some thought if this project is given the green light. The design is said to have clear links to the upcoming Project One hypercar, and come in a coupe and convertible. For power, Autocar says the turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder that will be used in both the new A35 and A45 hot hatches. Output will range from around 300 to more than 400 horsepower. There is a possibility of the engine being placed in a mid-mounted setup.
       “A lot of thought has gone into how Mercedes-AMG can better leverage its success in motorsport, particularly Formula 1 and endurance racing. One idea is a sports car that is relatively attainable financially and ideally suited to track day running. But it is just an idea and not a committed project right now,” said a source.
      Source: Autocar
    • By William Maley
      The next-generation Volvo XC90, due out in 2021 as a 2022 model will follow in the S60's footsteps by not offering any sort of diesel option. Instead, Volvo will be offering a range of hybrids and electric-only powertrains.
      “We have to prioritise – we cannot do everything. So if we want to be faster in electrification we can’t say yes to everything. That’s why [the S60] has no diesel alternative and we are not planning to have a diesel alternative in any new cars. The XC90 will follow this,” said Volvo CEO Håkan Samuelsson to Auto Express.
      Volvo's next-generation SPA2 platform will underpin the XC90, which is designed to accept both electric and hybrid powertrains. Don't expect a major change in terms of the design. Auto Express reports that Volvo will undertake an evolutionary approach.
      Source: Auto Express

      View full article
  • My Clubs

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.