William Maley

VW News: As the Diesel Emits: Volkswagen Plans On Slashing Prices In U.S. To Boost Sales

6 posts in this topic

William Maley    392

It slices! It dices! No, we're not trying to sell you a set of knives. This is the best way to describe Volkswagen's strategy for the U.S.; price cuts.

Bloomberg reports that Volkswagen will be changing their strategy in the U.S. to become more mass-market in the U.S. This will mean a wider product range and lower prices. The hope is the strategy can reverse a downward spiral in U.S. sales that has been taking place before the diesel scandal broke.

Volkswagen for many hasn't been able to crack the U.S. market. Despite becoming the world's largest automaker in terms of sales this year and making up 10 percent of total automobile sales in Europe, Volkswagen has been a blip in the U.S. In the past ten years, Volkswagen has never gotten up to 5 percent of U.S. (At the moment, Volkswagen only makes up 1.7 percent of total U.S. auto sales). The German automaker has tried making the Jetta cheaper and making a Passat for the U.S., which hasn't gotten them anywhere. It doesn't help that Volkswagen has missed the boat with growing demand for crossovers in the U.S.

“Volkswagen is facing an uphill battle to revive the brand in the U.S. Volkswagen is struggling with the loser image of the past, and now in the present the brand is burned. They need a good story that assures people it’s really a new start. Just adding another SUV won’t do it,”  said Ferdinand Dudenhoeffer, director of the Center for Automotive Research at the University of Duisburg-Essen.

We don't think going for a mass-market plan is a good idea either at the moment. But who knows, it could be the thing that saves VW.

Source: Bloomberg

View full article

dfelt    1,771

VW going cheap and mass market is a failure waiting to happen. 

Product that drives passion is what they need. Their current product line is bland, boring and overall Meh, forgettable. That is the real problem, not pricing and mass quantity.

This plan is a failure in the making. :facepalm:

7 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I wonder what I could get a GLI/GTI for with said discounts.. Probably too much still.

They were offering zero percent and hefty discount on 2016 to get rid of them.  Or buy gently used...diesel gate has killed the resale on the gassers as well.

Got to say FCA becoming more of a niche marketer with Jeeps and Trucks makes infinitely more sense than VW trying to beat Toyota at their own game!

On 9/5/2016 at 11:51 AM, regfootball said:

resale has been terrible, all this does is get new prices closer to the wholesale / trade in market.  they can still charge the big bucks for the GTI's etc. though.

I am to the point that there are no European cars I want to own. Volkswagen builds a few things I like, but they have pretty much shot my interest with diesel gate and some other dumb decisions, MB does not build anything interesting, I do not even like the AMG stuff, BMW quality ahs gone in the toilet, and they are no longer interesting to drive.  I have loved my MINI, but do not like the direction the brand has gone.

I am ready to love me some Asian and American cars, methinks.

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Hyundai had a put a lot of confidence into hydrogen being the future power source for vehicles. But much like Toyota, the Korean automaker is realizing that electrics are the way of the future and they might want to jump on the bandwagon soon.
      Today at a press conference in Seoul, Hyundai announced that it would be placing electric vehicles front and center with plans to launch several long-range EVs in the coming years. This includes an electric version of the Kona early next year and an electric sedan for Genesis in 2021 that is expected to have a range of 310 miles. Hyundai also confirmed a report by Reuters saying the company is working on a dedicated EV platform.
      "We're strengthening our eco-friendly car strategy, centering on electric vehicles," said Hyundai Executive Vice President Lee Kwang-guk.
      Hyundai isn't fully giving up on hydrogen. The automaker showed a concept version of its new fuel cell SUV that will replace the Tucson Hydrogen. Hyundai says the model can go 360 miles on one tank of hydrogen. It will launch in Korea next year, with the U.S. and Europe following sometime after.
      Source: Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Hyundai had a put a lot of confidence into hydrogen being the future power source for vehicles. But much like Toyota, the Korean automaker is realizing that electrics are the way of the future and they might want to jump on the bandwagon soon.
      Today at a press conference in Seoul, Hyundai announced that it would be placing electric vehicles front and center with plans to launch several long-range EVs in the coming years. This includes an electric version of the Kona early next year and an electric sedan for Genesis in 2021 that is expected to have a range of 310 miles. Hyundai also confirmed a report by Reuters saying the company is working on a dedicated EV platform.
      "We're strengthening our eco-friendly car strategy, centering on electric vehicles," said Hyundai Executive Vice President Lee Kwang-guk.
      Hyundai isn't fully giving up on hydrogen. The automaker showed a concept version of its new fuel cell SUV that will replace the Tucson Hydrogen. Hyundai says the model can go 360 miles on one tank of hydrogen. It will launch in Korea next year, with the U.S. and Europe following sometime after.
      Source: Reuters
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen has shown three different I.D. concepts - I.D. hatchback, I.D. Buzz, and the I.D. Crozz. We know that Volkswagen is working on making the hatchback production ready by 2020 and the Buzz has been given the green light. What about the Crozz? According to a report from Autoblog, the Crozz will follow the hatchback in production - arriving in either late 2020 or 2021 - and will be the first I.D. model to arrive on our shores.
      The I.D. Crozz which made its debut earlier this year at the Shanghai Motor Show is Volkswagen's vision of an electric crossover. Using Volkswagen's MEB platform, the I.D. Crozz produces 302 horsepower from two electric motors. On-demand all-wheel drive is done through single-speed, fixed-ratio gearboxes fitted between each electric motor and its respective axle.
      Volkswagen's decision on sending the I.D. Crozz to the U.S. first makes a lot of sense as buyers are crossover hungry.
      The two sources also dropped some information on the I.D. Buzz which conflicts with earlier reports. First, the sources said the Buzz been confirmed for production - the opposite of what reported back in June where Volkswagen's Herbert Diess slyly dropped that it would go into production. If approved, the model would likely go into production in 2025.
      We recommend checking out Autoblog's report as there are more details on what to possibly expect with the Crozz.
      Source: Autoblog

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen has shown three different I.D. concepts - I.D. hatchback, I.D. Buzz, and the I.D. Crozz. We know that Volkswagen is working on making the hatchback production ready by 2020 and the Buzz has been given the green light. What about the Crozz? According to a report from Autoblog, the Crozz will follow the hatchback in production - arriving in either late 2020 or 2021 - and will be the first I.D. model to arrive on our shores.
      The I.D. Crozz which made its debut earlier this year at the Shanghai Motor Show is Volkswagen's vision of an electric crossover. Using Volkswagen's MEB platform, the I.D. Crozz produces 302 horsepower from two electric motors. On-demand all-wheel drive is done through single-speed, fixed-ratio gearboxes fitted between each electric motor and its respective axle.
      Volkswagen's decision on sending the I.D. Crozz to the U.S. first makes a lot of sense as buyers are crossover hungry.
      The two sources also dropped some information on the I.D. Buzz which conflicts with earlier reports. First, the sources said the Buzz been confirmed for production - the opposite of what reported back in June where Volkswagen's Herbert Diess slyly dropped that it would go into production. If approved, the model would likely go into production in 2025.
      We recommend checking out Autoblog's report as there are more details on what to possibly expect with the Crozz.
      Source: Autoblog
    • By William Maley
      Opel and Vauxhall are currently in the process of working on a new business plan for their new owner, PSA Group. Already, it seems one project has been suspended. 
      Auto Express has learned from sources that plans for a flagship SUV have been shelved for the time being. Possibly named Monza, the model would use the Insignia platform and be around the size of a Ford Edge. It seems PSA Group is putting a freeze on various projects that are related in some form to Opel/Vauxhall's former owner, General Motors. Whether or not the Monza is canned or moved to a platform from PSA Group remains to be seen. One thing is clear, changes are already happening.
      Source: Auto Express

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)