Jump to content
Frisky Dingo

Ultimate Dream Garage: Base Model Edition

Recommended Posts

Far too often these are hard only for narrowing down all the amazing choices on offer. Not this one. Oh, no. Today friends, you are going to be limited only base models. And I mean base. Bottom of the barrel. No options, no exceptions.

 

Rules-

1- These are your only vehicles.

2- You are allowed a maximum of 5 choices.

3- Production vehicles only.

4- Car can come from any market.

5- You are allowed to pick ONE vehicle that isn't NEW. Leaving the full list open to older cars will cause too much confusion and likelihood of rule-bending.

6- You can also choose to MODIFY ONE of your choices.

7- You may only choose TWO high-end sports cars or supercars.

8- Only 1 of your choices outside of your sports/super cars may be a premium marque. This is to prevent everyone from just choosing expensive luxury vehicles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this one.  Give me time to think about it.

One question: Do convertibles count as trims ABOVE base models? Obviously Im not taking about roadsters like a Miata....Although I might consider a base level Miata instead negating this question....

Edited by oldshurst442

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Convertibles are allowed.

 

ADDENDUM-

 

*YOU ARE ALLOWED TO CHOOSE ANY BODY STYLE IF MULTIPLE BODY STYLES ARE OFFERED

*YOU CAN CHOOSE BETWEEN TRANSMISSIONS IF MORE THAN ONE OPTION IS AVAILABLE

*YOU CAN CHOOSE ANY MODEL IN A MFR'S LINEUP SO LONG AS YOUR CHOICE IS THE BASE TRIM OF THAT RESPECTIVE MODEL

*AN EXAMPLE OF A BASE MODEL-  1LT 2.0T Camaro Coupe/Convertible

*EXAMPLE OF A NOT A BASE MODEL- 1SS Camaro Coupe/Convertible

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- Genesis G90 base model (a screaming luxury deal I thinks)

- Mazda Miata Club 

- Toyota Land Cruiser (I think even the base models are pretty decked out with off-road goodies)

- Chevy SS (most of my choices follow a theme of models with very few configurations anyways, and bargain basement performance sedan right here)

- And If I am going to be so cheap I might as well get a base model Chevy Spark as a beater car, either that or the 2017 Corolla, because it gets standard adaptive cruise control and things like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

- Genesis G90 base model (a screaming luxury deal I thinks)

- Mazda Miata Club 

- Toyota Land Cruiser (I think even the base models are pretty decked out with off-road goodies)

- Chevy SS (most of my choices follow a theme of models with very few configurations anyways, and bargain basement performance sedan right here)

- And If I am going to be so cheap I might as well get a base model Chevy Spark as a beater car, either that or the 2017 Corolla, because it gets standard adaptive cruise control and things like that.

Very nice save for the Miata Club, which would not count. 

You also stole one of mine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive done this list in the spirit of base trim models. OK, some cars I chose are very well equipped, but I chose my cars by them being models of mainstream brands. With the exception of one car being of a premium luxury brand. All are 2017 models.

1.   2.3 liter 4 cylinder Ecoboost Mustang Convertible. Unless of course the 3.7 liter V6 is the one I must choose...

137345-2015-ford-mustang-convertible-rev

2. Buick Lacrosse FWD base.

08_2017-Buick-LaCrosse-Richardson.jpg?t=

 

3. Nissan Maxima S

I adore this car. I might as well choose it in this dream car garage thread as I might not get a chance to pick it another time.

2016-nissan-maxima-35_1600x0w.jpg

 

4. This is such a pretty car. I said Id choose a Miata, but the Fiat version is prettier.

Fiat 124 Classica

hero.jpg

 

5. There is a loop hole here. This generation WRX is its own stand alone name plate. No Impreza to hold me back. And I get to stay mainstream enthusiast sporty without going too expensive with the name plates.

2016_subaru_impreza_wrx_premium-pic-5704

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too will Echo the WRX.

Mazda three manual hatchback, will modify it with a set of aftermakret wheels, Koni adjsutables, cheap weekend autocross car and daily driver.

Base Mazda Miata

Base Subaru WRX

Base Chevrolet 1 ton diesel pick up. In any color other than white.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I THINK I have a list I'm satisfied..

Ballin' luxury cruiser: Mercedes Maybach S Class

Exotic super cars: Ford GT and Ferrari 488

Most likely the daily and hauler of any sorts Escalade(standard comes with a lot of awesome options, I was originally afraid it would be kind of stripper but not at all). Ideally I'd like t add 4WD to this but if I can't, I'll just buy snow tires in the winter.

Old car: 2004 Cobra (I realized this after I thought about it that it still has to be a base model even if it is old..)

Corrected Old car: 1969 Pontiac GTO Coupe Base engine was a 350hp 400cu V8. 'Merica.

Honorable mentions: 2016 Titan XD(I think it originally only had the 5.0 Cummins in like a fully loaded trim) to replace the Escalade

I'll probably do another with a little more realistic prices as I feel like I pushed the limits with the Maybach and Escalade.

I'll try and get pics up if photobucket ever works again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the Cobra doesn't count, that's why I corrected it to the GTO. Cadillac isn't premium to most people anyway so... ? lol Okay, that can be a Yukon. Close enough.. Actually.. I will modify my Yukon for a Cadillac make over so it will look like an Escalade, have te 6.2 from the Escalde.. but the VIN will still be a Yukon! Okay, I wouldn't actually do that and I'm not sure what I would modify from my list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not necessarily in these colors...

Cadillac ATS Coupe (2.0T/6M *2.5L engine was dropped)
CadillacATS-1.jpg

Chevy SS (6.2L/6M)
2016-Chevy-SS-Gallery-1-973x642.jpg

Chevy Cruze Hatchback (1.4T/6A) - for the lady
2017-chevrolet-cruze-hatchback-9.jpg

GMC Yukon (5.3L/6A 4WD)
63219903aab86ef443a948000b1b1728.jpg

Audi R8
2017-Audi-R8-White-823x549.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

 

Killer list, dude.

 

Yours is nice, too, CP.


Well that's damning with faint praise if I ever saw it!

We're allowed to choose 4WD vs 2WD right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:


Well that's damning with faint praise if I ever saw it!

We're allowed to choose 4WD vs 2WD right?

Yes.

 

And it is a nice list. Just a bit predictable and GM heavy, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What can I say, I like what I like. The ATS coupe and SS sedan are gonna end up in every list I can apply them to, until the day I can buy one of them in real life! Haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say to anyone who wants a base model Lexus LS, just get the Genesis G90 base model and enjoy a vehicle that beats Lexus at it's own game for like what, 75% of the price?

Unless you like Rexusasu (reh-ku-sah-suuu) [sic] the Japanese way of saying Lexus.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't agree with getting a base model supercar....based on the rules provided, and my further stipulation that....

Because it's thoroughly unrealistic, even for a dream garage.

 

C'mon, somehow we dream to be on say, Ferrari's special insider list that you need to be in order to be approached by them for a sale, and you're gonna dream for a non option 488 GTB...C'MON....it would never happen like that. No way. Then again I wouldn't know, but still...base model? They'll be like this: fully load it or not, or pay more to get the less optioned version, because they knows that the collector types might want a stock, as close to pure Ferrari experience possible - and would pay more to get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is more because the options on real super cars are aesthetic for the most part. I mean what kind of option are there even on a 918 or Ford GT that aren't carbon fiber this or that or different wheels, even if they are carbon fiber. I mean you choose your colors and interiors and probably a few ticky tack things here and there but it isn't like optioning any other car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

I say to anyone who wants a base model Lexus LS, just get the Genesis G90 base model and enjoy a vehicle that beats Lexus at it's own game for like what, 75% of the price?

Unless you like Rexusasu (reh-ku-sah-suuu) [sic] the Japanese way of saying Lexus.

Well, this is a dream list with no budget limit.  Will Genesis have same reliability and resale value as Lexus?  Look at the used Genesis prices.

@Frisky Dingo your lists are fun way to waste some time and dream a little but you need to make them harder. Budget cars but we can choose supercars and luxury brands? Come on man! :) 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ykX said:

Well, this is a dream list with no budget limit.  Will Genesis have same reliability and resale value as Lexus?  Look at the used Genesis prices.

@Frisky Dingo your lists are fun way to waste some time and dream a little but you need to make them harder. Budget cars but we can choose supercars and luxury brands? Come on man! :) 

 

 

I had to throw a bone or two in there.

 

If I make lists that really require thinking or much work, nobody participates. Look at the Midsize Sedan one. I can't please everyone, though I try to mix it up.

 

10 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

I don't agree with getting a base model supercar....based on the rules provided, and my further stipulation that....

Because it's thoroughly unrealistic, even for a dream garage.

 

C'mon, somehow we dream to be on say, Ferrari's special insider list that you need to be in order to be approached by them for a sale, and you're gonna dream for a non option 488 GTB...C'MON....it would never happen like that. No way. Then again I wouldn't know, but still...base model? They'll be like this: fully load it or not, or pay more to get the less optioned version, because they knows that the collector types might want a stock, as close to pure Ferrari experience possible - and would pay more to get it.

 

I mean, I couldn't realistically make everyone get 5 base models of mainstream cars. And if I separated sports/super cars, there'd be debate over where the line was drawn.

 

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I think it is more because the options on real super cars are aesthetic for the most part. I mean what kind of option are there even on a 918 or Ford GT that aren't carbon fiber this or that or different wheels, even if they are carbon fiber. I mean you choose your colors and interiors and probably a few ticky tack things here and there but it isn't like optioning any other car. 

This. And like I said, I had to throw in a few fun options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

If I make lists that really require thinking or much work, nobody participates. Look at the Midsize Sedan one. I can't please everyone, though I try to mix it up.

Sad, but true... I always try and get a lineup in because this is a fun way to pass time at work(the thinking part as I'm doing mundane work). This same thing minus: Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Maserati, Rolls, Bentley...probably a few others I couldn't think of. I mean most MB, BMW, Audi truly base models are stripper models and not that great of a buy. They need a few simple packages to make them even competitive with mainstream mid size sedans that most just have. If you went to their sites and built one w/o any packages they kind of suck. I mean none of them offer real leather at like 50k+.

@ykX

Love the list! Not a huge fan of the Lexus but I dig everything else. I was thinking of the SS myself. It seems like one of those cars that is pretty much just loaded from the get go.. and 6.2. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×