William Maley

2017 Chevrolet Colorado Looks To Give Toyota's Tacoma TRD Pro A Run For the Money: Comments

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Still more than enough to put camping gear in the bed and haul pull some dirtbikes/quads/jet-skis. Be realistic.

I am being realistic. 

Like the Raptor, this truck is for posers and Urban Cowboys

5 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

I am being realistic. 

I can guarantee you whatever truck I have sees a LOT of off-road duty. 

20 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That's where I tried to go but for whatever reason the page was "simplified" and didn't break it down like that at all. I do like that they break it down to the T for us to see the payload and towing capacity.

I've seen them tow but you're spot on. Nobody buys these to tow.. The occasional trailer for things is great but they aren't designed with that in mind.

Am I seeing something wrong but that link showed the shorter extended cab(134.2in wheelbase) Raptor towing only 6000lbs? Same with payload, 1200 SCrew and 1000 extended cab.

I glanced too quick and thought they both had the same tow rating, but you are right, only 6000 for the supecab.  that is totally the reverse of what one would expect. 

6 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

I am being realistic. 

Beyond towing and putting really heavy things in the bed, please tell me what puts this truck at a disadvantage. Not everyone tows or hauls. Those people couldn't care less about payload specs. Hell, most people who buy full-size trucks don't come anywhere near their capabiliites, either.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

I am being realistic. 

I still like seeing both this and the Raptor produced...if we can keep putting money to metal and the factories working, everyone benefits.

One of my favorite stories from an automotive viewpoint is the story of a test driver for Porsche who was asked how often Porsche's really hit top speed.

His answer was every night in bench racing discussions at the bar.....

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Beyond towing and putting really heavy things in the bed, please tell me what puts this truck at a disadvantage. Not everyone tows or hauls. Those people couldn't care less about payload specs. Hell, most people who buy full-size trucks don't come anywhere near their capabiliites, either.

...and what is wrong with someone just wanting a Truck?  The number of people I know with pickups just because that is what they would prefer to drive is pretty staggering.

4 minutes ago, Stew said:

I can guarantee you whatever truck I have sees a LOT of off-road duty. 

Not just yes but hell yes!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stew said:

I think GM needs to send me a long term tester for a torture test.......

Given the number of pre production prototypes and test mules they have, they should easily be able to give one to each person here.....I like the way you think.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Given the number of pre production prototypes and test mules they have, they should easily be able to give one to each person here.....I like the way you think.

That would just be awesome to see everyone's different thoughts on the same vehicle after an extnded period with it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Stew said:

That would just be awesome to see everyone's different thoughts on the same vehicle after an extnded period with it.

It would be more awesomer-er to drive the damned vehicles on a wheeling trip and enjoy cold beer by a campfire....now THAT would be awesome.

SierraNevadaStoutA.jpg (300×250)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It would be more awesomer-er to drive the damned vehicles on a wheeling trip and enjoy cold beer by a campfire....now THAT would be awesome.

SierraNevadaStoutA.jpg (300×250)

Very much so!

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/year-round/stout

Check out the Sierra Nevada Stout...this would be my contribution for everyone.

I will even bring the stuff for Smores at the camp fire!

57 minutes ago, Stew said:

See the links.  looks like these are Supercrew and the Supercab actually drops to 1000, but towing stays at 8000.

See above.  Depending on cab it is only 100 pounds more or even less in the payload and 2500 more towing, but I don't see many purchasing either of these for towing.

Exactly. If you're buying this for towing, then you bought the wrong truck. Same goes for the Raptor. Also, comparing a mid size trucks capabilities with a full size is just silly and pointless for more than obvious reasons. 

42 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Why do you want me to list of disadvantages, when you too, in your first sentence, agree to my only concerns - tow and payload. 

14 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Exactly. If you're buying this for towing, then you bought the wrong truck. Same goes for the Raptor. Also, comparing a mid size trucks capabilities with a full size is just silly and pointless for more than obvious reasons. 

I agree. Comparing the ZR2's capabilities to a full size is silly. 

55 minutes ago, Stew said:

I'll bring some good old Kentucky Bourbon :D

You just might have a deal.  About 6 years ago i wanted to get together a C and G team to run the 24 hours of Lemons. A couple of key players I wanted to pull into the equation here in Ohio had conflicts with regards to family issues and finances, which is ultimately what killed it.

A wheeling trip would be much more do able, and possibly much more enjoyable than trying to fix a badly broken car at 3 in the morning....

52 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Why is it stilly if they're within 10% of price of each other? They both have similar intentions.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Why is it stilly if they're within 10% of price of each other? They both have similar intentions.

We are starting to argue semantics here. Why don't we just rust truck buyers to look out for their own interests when they write a large check?

37 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

Why do you want me to list of disadvantages, when you too, in your first sentence, agree to my only concerns - tow and payload. 

I agree. Comparing the ZR2's capabilities to a full size is silly. 

I think most of the buying decisions for a product like this are going to obviously be highly subjective...

Also, given the aftermarket for Trucks, which is huge, one can pretty much modify a modern truck to do anything one would want.

I agree with you both on Tow and payload though...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

You just might have a deal.  About 6 years ago i wanted to get together a C and G team to run the 24 hours of Lemons. A couple of key players I wanted to pull into the equation here in Ohio had conflicts with regards to family issues and finances, which is ultimately what killed it.

A wheeling trip would be much more do able, and possibly much more enjoyable than trying to fix a badly broken car at 3 in the morning....

That sounds like a blast for sure.

IMHO, the biggest decider for most of these are brand loyalty.  Next is the particular use and where they will use it.  Again for me I go to a lot of places where room is at a minimum so any fullsize truck is going to be more of a hindrance that a help.  Seriously both are fantastic and then there is the upcoming Jeep Wrangler pickup as well. 

6 minutes ago, Stew said:

That sounds like a blast for sure.

IMHO, the biggest decider for most of these are brand loyalty.  Next is the particular use and where they will use it.  Again for me I go to a lot of places where room is at a minimum so any fullsize truck is going to be more of a hindrance that a help.  Seriously both are fantastic and then there is the upcoming Jeep Wrangler pickup as well. 

Wrangler pickup is neat also....I like how once the truck market hit critical mass we had all of these new choices.

19 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Wrangler pickup is neat also....I like how once the truck market hit critical mass we had all of these new choices.

We had the Sport Truck era from the mid 90s to the mid 00s and now we are firml in the era of the off-road special.  I have loved them both :D

Just now, Stew said:

We had the Sport Truck era from the mid 90s to the mid 00s and now we are firml in the era of the off-road special.  I have loved them both :D

Always wanted a CJ-8 Scrambler myself.

4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

They actually make full steel replacement bodies for these.

http://collinsbrosjeep.com/

I have daily fantasy's about flying to Texas to visit these folks.

That is one freaking sweet business. 

love this conversion, but don't think I love it nearly 70 grand worth haha

IMG_0018__02703.1475266698.1280.1280.JPG

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

So I'm having a difficult time understanding where this will price and why anybody who isn't a fanboy would buy it over a Raptor... Here's why..(I do understand if you genuinely want a smaller vehicle because not everybody wants a half ton size truck.

I built a crew cab, Z71, with the Trailboss package and the Duramax and it ran up a tad over 46k. Won't this be at the very least a 2-3k package on top of that?? That brings it to just under 50k and a Raptor is something like 52-55k.

Unless I'm screwing up and can be built in lesser trims like LT or LS. I guess I'm just assuming it is added price on top of the top trim.

I think you are correct.

The Gas Z71 fully loaded up can be found up to $47-48K sticker price easy.

I expect this truck to be starting at $49K and going up from there. The shocks alone are a major price not counting the larger wheel base items, locking diffs and added content that is not available on the other trucks.

This is the Z/28 of the Colorado. I have warned many that this will be a $50K plus truck easy if they did what I thought they would do and they even exceeded it in all areas but the engine. I had hoped for a little more V6 power.

Nice truck but nothing I would pay over $50K for. Maybe if they discount them like they did the old Z/28 models it would make a killer deal. I do not expect that though.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Stew said:

That is one freaking sweet business. 

love this conversion, but don't think I love it nearly 70 grand worth haha

IMG_0018__02703.1475266698.1280.1280.JPG

In another life where we have money to burn....!

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      The Cadillac ATS and CTS didn't sell well.  They had great handling and a large selection of engines, but they were hampered by interiors that were cramped for the class and infotainment systems that could confound people.  Sedans are dying, Cadillac gets that too. That's why they are consolidating the ATS and CTS onto a single car called the CT5, released last week at the New York International Auto Show. Rumors have it that the CT5 will start in the mid-30s and Cadillac is insisting that, despite its size, the CT5 is aligned against the 3-series and C-Class. But in doing so, where does that leave the car? Could Cadillac be realigning their cars so they become the largest cars in a particular price class?  It would be a very traditionally Cadillac thing to do. There was a time when Cadillac would brag about having the longest production cars in its class. Even the original CTS was sized like a 5-series but priced like a 3-series.  More on that later. 
      I'm a lifelong fan of Cadillac.  I want to be excited about the CT5. While I do think the car looks handsome, it doesn't excite me like the CT6 does.  There is no one thing I can put my finger on, not even the black plastic triangle playing the part of a third window.  The car just doesn't command a presence as the CT6 does. And though the overall look of the front is handsome, I get flashbacks of Impala from certain angles. It does look far better in person than Cadillac's or my own photography show.
      Inside, Cadillac has upped their game on the quality of the materials, but they phoned the styling in. As some readers have pointed out, it even appears as if some trim pieces have been repurposed from the CTS. There is a large tablet stuck to the dash for the infotainment system, which is thankfully no longer the old CUE system. It looks to be similar in function and layout to those found in GMC's trucks. I have found that system to work well, so I don't see any problem there. A large dial in the center console can control the unit as well, useful if you're wearing gloves.  Capacitive touch buttons have been replaced by real physical buttons. They are well weighted and feel substantial, indeed even Mercedes-like for the HVAC controls.    Cadillac took to heart all of the criticism over their gauges in the previous cars and produced a good looking set of round dials for tach and speedometer with a driver information screen between.  The seats are firm and supportive, getting into position is quick and easy, but they don't match the 24+ way seats that Lincoln is offering these days.  Rear seat room has improved dramatically over the ATS, though feels about the same as a CTS.  Cadillac's Precision Control Shift is there.  I've found it annoying to use, but it has a similar operation to the BMW gear control that many people like, so maybe it is just me.  I think Cadillac (and everyone else) should chuck the shifter knob on their cars and go to something more digital.  One piece of technology in the CT5 that I really love is Cadillac's SuperCruise.  I've used SuperCruise to drive from Pittsburgh to New York, roughly 350 miles, and I was only actively piloting the car for about 10% of the time. 
      Engines in the CT5 seem to be introductory offers, but there is also room to grow. The base engine is a 2.0 liter twin-scroll turbo producing 237 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. That's a bit light for the class.  The optional engine is a 3.0 liter twin-turbo making 335 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque.  Both engines are mated to a 10-speed automatic with all-wheel drive optional. Both engines also have displacement on demand and can shut down cylinders to conserve fuel in light-load situations.  Cadillac has plenty of room to maneuver here with engines though. For future versions like V-Sport and V-Series, they have the 400hp version of the 3.0TT, or the 420hp 3.6TT, or the new 4.2 liter Blackwing when more performance is called for.  
      Overall, this could be a very compelling car starting at $34,995 and being as long as a Mercedes-Benz E-Class. That's where the size issue comes in. Cadillac would have a hard time moving this CT5 if they price it alongside the same size German models. If this is going to be Cadillac's strategy, offer the biggest car for the price, then they need to drum that mindset into the heads of consumers. That takes advertising dollars.  Otherwise, they are just going to be repeatedly compared to vehicles outside of their price class and lose in every comparison test.  The CT6 being priced just $1,000 more than an E-Class leads me to believe this is what they are intending to do.   
      Read other First Impressions from the New York International Auto Show below:
      First Impressions: 2020 Hyundai Venue
      First Impressions: 2020 Lincoln Corsair
      First Impressions: 2020 Ford Escape

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The Cadillac ATS and CTS didn't sell well.  They had great handling and a large selection of engines, but they were hampered by interiors that were cramped for the class and infotainment systems that could confound people.  Sedans are dying, Cadillac gets that too. That's why they are consolidating the ATS and CTS onto a single car called the CT5, released last week at the New York International Auto Show. Rumors have it that the CT5 will start in the mid-30s and Cadillac is insisting that, despite its size, the CT5 is aligned against the 3-series and C-Class. But in doing so, where does that leave the car? Could Cadillac be realigning their cars so they become the largest cars in a particular price class?  It would be a very traditionally Cadillac thing to do. There was a time when Cadillac would brag about having the longest production cars in its class. Even the original CTS was sized like a 5-series but priced like a 3-series.  More on that later. 
      I'm a lifelong fan of Cadillac.  I want to be excited about the CT5. While I do think the car looks handsome, it doesn't excite me like the CT6 does.  There is no one thing I can put my finger on, not even the black plastic triangle playing the part of a third window.  The car just doesn't command a presence as the CT6 does. And though the overall look of the front is handsome, I get flashbacks of Impala from certain angles. It does look far better in person than Cadillac's or my own photography show.
      Inside, Cadillac has upped their game on the quality of the materials, but they phoned the styling in. As some readers have pointed out, it even appears as if some trim pieces have been repurposed from the CTS. There is a large tablet stuck to the dash for the infotainment system, which is thankfully no longer the old CUE system. It looks to be similar in function and layout to those found in GMC's trucks. I have found that system to work well, so I don't see any problem there. A large dial in the center console can control the unit as well, useful if you're wearing gloves.  Capacitive touch buttons have been replaced by real physical buttons. They are well weighted and feel substantial, indeed even Mercedes-like for the HVAC controls.    Cadillac took to heart all of the criticism over their gauges in the previous cars and produced a good looking set of round dials for tach and speedometer with a driver information screen between.  The seats are firm and supportive, getting into position is quick and easy, but they don't match the 24+ way seats that Lincoln is offering these days.  Rear seat room has improved dramatically over the ATS, though feels about the same as a CTS.  Cadillac's Precision Control Shift is there.  I've found it annoying to use, but it has a similar operation to the BMW gear control that many people like, so maybe it is just me.  I think Cadillac (and everyone else) should chuck the shifter knob on their cars and go to something more digital.  One piece of technology in the CT5 that I really love is Cadillac's SuperCruise.  I've used SuperCruise to drive from Pittsburgh to New York, roughly 350 miles, and I was only actively piloting the car for about 10% of the time. 
      Engines in the CT5 seem to be introductory offers, but there is also room to grow. The base engine is a 2.0 liter twin-scroll turbo producing 237 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. That's a bit light for the class.  The optional engine is a 3.0 liter twin-turbo making 335 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque.  Both engines are mated to a 10-speed automatic with all-wheel drive optional. Both engines also have displacement on demand and can shut down cylinders to conserve fuel in light-load situations.  Cadillac has plenty of room to maneuver here with engines though. For future versions like V-Sport and V-Series, they have the 400hp version of the 3.0TT, or the 420hp 3.6TT, or the new 4.2 liter Blackwing when more performance is called for.  
      Overall, this could be a very compelling car starting at $34,995 and being as long as a Mercedes-Benz E-Class. That's where the size issue comes in. Cadillac would have a hard time moving this CT5 if they price it alongside the same size German models. If this is going to be Cadillac's strategy, offer the biggest car for the price, then they need to drum that mindset into the heads of consumers. That takes advertising dollars.  Otherwise, they are just going to be repeatedly compared to vehicles outside of their price class and lose in every comparison test.  The CT6 being priced just $1,000 more than an E-Class leads me to believe this is what they are intending to do.   
      Read other First Impressions from the New York International Auto Show below:
      First Impressions: 2020 Hyundai Venue
      First Impressions: 2020 Lincoln Corsair
      First Impressions: 2020 Ford Escape

• By Drew Dowdell
      According to GM Authority, the Chevrolet Traverse is dropping the 2.0T from the lineup and is already no longer available for ordering.  The move means that the only available powertrain for the Traverse is the 310 horsepower V6 paired with a 9-speed automatic.  
      The 2.0T was introduced in the 2018 model year only on the RS model which had a slightly sportier flair than the regular Traverse.  We wonder though if this signals a move by Chevy to use the new TriPower 2.0T that is found in the Cadillac XT4 and was recently announced to be going into the 2020 GMC Acadia.  So don't be surprised if there is an announcement from Chevy soon. 

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      According to GM Authority, the Chevrolet Traverse is dropping the 2.0T from the lineup and is already no longer available for ordering.  The move means that the only available powertrain for the Traverse is the 310 horsepower V6 paired with a 9-speed automatic.  
      The 2.0T was introduced in the 2018 model year only on the RS model which had a slightly sportier flair than the regular Traverse.  We wonder though if this signals a move by Chevy to use the new TriPower 2.0T that is found in the Cadillac XT4 and was recently announced to be going into the 2020 GMC Acadia.  So don't be surprised if there is an announcement from Chevy soon. 
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The all-new Sonata embodies Hyundai’s Sensuous Sportiness design language with a sophisticated four-door-coupe look
      Hyundai’s third-generation vehicle platform enables improvements in design, safety, efficiency and driving performance Hyundai First: Sonata’s Digital Key allows the vehicle to be unlocked, started and driven without a physical key, via a smartphone Hyundai First: Hidden Lighting Lamps turn chrome when off and lit when on Hyundai today introduced its all-new 2020 Sonata at the New York International Auto Show, marking the North American debut of Hyundai’s longest-standing and most successful model. The eighth-generation Sonata is unlike any of its predecessors, showcasing Hyundai’s Sensuous Sportiness design philosophy, an all-new Smartstream G2.5 GDI engine and segment-first technology that can be personalized. Production of the 2020 Sonata starts in September at Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama and retail sales begin in October.
      Customers can choose between two Smartstream gasoline powertrains: a 2.5 GDI and a 1.6 T-GDI engine, both mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission. The new Smartstream G2.5 GDI engine, with high-efficiency combustion, cooled EGR and an optimized ITMS cooling system, boasts a generous 191 horsepower at 6,100 rpm and 181 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm, plus an expected combined EPA estimated fuel economy of 33 mpg. Meanwhile, the new Smartstream G1.6 T-GDI has 180 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 195 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,500–4,500 rpm and is expected to achieve an EPA estimated 31 mpg combined, thanks to its world-first Continuously Variable Valve Duration (CVVD) system.
      Production of the 2020 Sonata starts in September 2019.

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook