William Maley

2017 Chevrolet Colorado Looks To Give Toyota's Tacoma TRD Pro A Run For the Money: Comments

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Still more than enough to put camping gear in the bed and haul pull some dirtbikes/quads/jet-skis. Be realistic.

I am being realistic. 

Like the Raptor, this truck is for posers and Urban Cowboys

5 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

I am being realistic. 

I can guarantee you whatever truck I have sees a LOT of off-road duty. 

20 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That's where I tried to go but for whatever reason the page was "simplified" and didn't break it down like that at all. I do like that they break it down to the T for us to see the payload and towing capacity.

I've seen them tow but you're spot on. Nobody buys these to tow.. The occasional trailer for things is great but they aren't designed with that in mind.

Am I seeing something wrong but that link showed the shorter extended cab(134.2in wheelbase) Raptor towing only 6000lbs? Same with payload, 1200 SCrew and 1000 extended cab.

I glanced too quick and thought they both had the same tow rating, but you are right, only 6000 for the supecab.  that is totally the reverse of what one would expect. 

6 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

I am being realistic. 

Beyond towing and putting really heavy things in the bed, please tell me what puts this truck at a disadvantage. Not everyone tows or hauls. Those people couldn't care less about payload specs. Hell, most people who buy full-size trucks don't come anywhere near their capabiliites, either.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

I am being realistic. 

I still like seeing both this and the Raptor produced...if we can keep putting money to metal and the factories working, everyone benefits.

One of my favorite stories from an automotive viewpoint is the story of a test driver for Porsche who was asked how often Porsche's really hit top speed.

His answer was every night in bench racing discussions at the bar.....

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Beyond towing and putting really heavy things in the bed, please tell me what puts this truck at a disadvantage. Not everyone tows or hauls. Those people couldn't care less about payload specs. Hell, most people who buy full-size trucks don't come anywhere near their capabiliites, either.

...and what is wrong with someone just wanting a Truck?  The number of people I know with pickups just because that is what they would prefer to drive is pretty staggering.

4 minutes ago, Stew said:

I can guarantee you whatever truck I have sees a LOT of off-road duty. 

Not just yes but hell yes!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stew said:

I think GM needs to send me a long term tester for a torture test.......

Given the number of pre production prototypes and test mules they have, they should easily be able to give one to each person here.....I like the way you think.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Given the number of pre production prototypes and test mules they have, they should easily be able to give one to each person here.....I like the way you think.

That would just be awesome to see everyone's different thoughts on the same vehicle after an extnded period with it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Stew said:

That would just be awesome to see everyone's different thoughts on the same vehicle after an extnded period with it.

It would be more awesomer-er to drive the damned vehicles on a wheeling trip and enjoy cold beer by a campfire....now THAT would be awesome.

SierraNevadaStoutA.jpg (300×250)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It would be more awesomer-er to drive the damned vehicles on a wheeling trip and enjoy cold beer by a campfire....now THAT would be awesome.

SierraNevadaStoutA.jpg (300×250)

Very much so!

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/year-round/stout

Check out the Sierra Nevada Stout...this would be my contribution for everyone.

I will even bring the stuff for Smores at the camp fire!

57 minutes ago, Stew said:

See the links.  looks like these are Supercrew and the Supercab actually drops to 1000, but towing stays at 8000.

See above.  Depending on cab it is only 100 pounds more or even less in the payload and 2500 more towing, but I don't see many purchasing either of these for towing.

Exactly. If you're buying this for towing, then you bought the wrong truck. Same goes for the Raptor. Also, comparing a mid size trucks capabilities with a full size is just silly and pointless for more than obvious reasons. 

42 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Why do you want me to list of disadvantages, when you too, in your first sentence, agree to my only concerns - tow and payload. 

14 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Exactly. If you're buying this for towing, then you bought the wrong truck. Same goes for the Raptor. Also, comparing a mid size trucks capabilities with a full size is just silly and pointless for more than obvious reasons. 

I agree. Comparing the ZR2's capabilities to a full size is silly. 

55 minutes ago, Stew said:

I'll bring some good old Kentucky Bourbon :D

You just might have a deal.  About 6 years ago i wanted to get together a C and G team to run the 24 hours of Lemons. A couple of key players I wanted to pull into the equation here in Ohio had conflicts with regards to family issues and finances, which is ultimately what killed it.

A wheeling trip would be much more do able, and possibly much more enjoyable than trying to fix a badly broken car at 3 in the morning....

52 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Why is it stilly if they're within 10% of price of each other? They both have similar intentions.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Why is it stilly if they're within 10% of price of each other? They both have similar intentions.

We are starting to argue semantics here. Why don't we just rust truck buyers to look out for their own interests when they write a large check?

37 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

Why do you want me to list of disadvantages, when you too, in your first sentence, agree to my only concerns - tow and payload. 

I agree. Comparing the ZR2's capabilities to a full size is silly. 

I think most of the buying decisions for a product like this are going to obviously be highly subjective...

Also, given the aftermarket for Trucks, which is huge, one can pretty much modify a modern truck to do anything one would want.

I agree with you both on Tow and payload though...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

You just might have a deal.  About 6 years ago i wanted to get together a C and G team to run the 24 hours of Lemons. A couple of key players I wanted to pull into the equation here in Ohio had conflicts with regards to family issues and finances, which is ultimately what killed it.

A wheeling trip would be much more do able, and possibly much more enjoyable than trying to fix a badly broken car at 3 in the morning....

That sounds like a blast for sure.

IMHO, the biggest decider for most of these are brand loyalty.  Next is the particular use and where they will use it.  Again for me I go to a lot of places where room is at a minimum so any fullsize truck is going to be more of a hindrance that a help.  Seriously both are fantastic and then there is the upcoming Jeep Wrangler pickup as well. 

6 minutes ago, Stew said:

That sounds like a blast for sure.

IMHO, the biggest decider for most of these are brand loyalty.  Next is the particular use and where they will use it.  Again for me I go to a lot of places where room is at a minimum so any fullsize truck is going to be more of a hindrance that a help.  Seriously both are fantastic and then there is the upcoming Jeep Wrangler pickup as well. 

Wrangler pickup is neat also....I like how once the truck market hit critical mass we had all of these new choices.

19 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Wrangler pickup is neat also....I like how once the truck market hit critical mass we had all of these new choices.

We had the Sport Truck era from the mid 90s to the mid 00s and now we are firml in the era of the off-road special.  I have loved them both :D

Just now, Stew said:

We had the Sport Truck era from the mid 90s to the mid 00s and now we are firml in the era of the off-road special.  I have loved them both :D

Always wanted a CJ-8 Scrambler myself.

4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

They actually make full steel replacement bodies for these.

http://collinsbrosjeep.com/

I have daily fantasy's about flying to Texas to visit these folks.

That is one freaking sweet business. 

love this conversion, but don't think I love it nearly 70 grand worth haha

IMG_0018__02703.1475266698.1280.1280.JPG

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

So I'm having a difficult time understanding where this will price and why anybody who isn't a fanboy would buy it over a Raptor... Here's why..(I do understand if you genuinely want a smaller vehicle because not everybody wants a half ton size truck.

I built a crew cab, Z71, with the Trailboss package and the Duramax and it ran up a tad over 46k. Won't this be at the very least a 2-3k package on top of that?? That brings it to just under 50k and a Raptor is something like 52-55k.

Unless I'm screwing up and can be built in lesser trims like LT or LS. I guess I'm just assuming it is added price on top of the top trim.

I think you are correct.

The Gas Z71 fully loaded up can be found up to $47-48K sticker price easy.

I expect this truck to be starting at $49K and going up from there. The shocks alone are a major price not counting the larger wheel base items, locking diffs and added content that is not available on the other trucks.

This is the Z/28 of the Colorado. I have warned many that this will be a $50K plus truck easy if they did what I thought they would do and they even exceeded it in all areas but the engine. I had hoped for a little more V6 power.

Nice truck but nothing I would pay over $50K for. Maybe if they discount them like they did the old Z/28 models it would make a killer deal. I do not expect that though.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Stew said:

That is one freaking sweet business. 

love this conversion, but don't think I love it nearly 70 grand worth haha

IMG_0018__02703.1475266698.1280.1280.JPG

In another life where we have money to burn....!