Industry News: Small Sports Cars Cast A Light in Bleak April Sales

April's auto sales are one most automakers would like to pretend never happen due to big declines. But if there is a silver lining to April sales, it has to go to small sports cars.

Automotive News ran the numbers and found that sales of small sports cars rose 3.4 percent so far this year. Contrast this with 12 percent drop in overall demand for cars. The big winner in this group was the Mazda MX-5 Miata with sales up 35 percent so far this year. Sales in April declined slightly from March (1,319 vs. 1,345 units), but rose sharply when compared to January (929) and February (1,108). 

Other models saw noticeable increases:

• Fiat 124 Spider saw its sales rise from 240 in January to 465 in April
  • BMW's Z4 rose 42 percent so far this year (though it should be noted this model went out of production last August)
  • Toyota 86 saw a small rise in overall sales
  • Jaguar F-Type posted its best monthly sales of 406 units

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

38 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Only Reason Fiat has sales is cause it is a quality Miata under that skin.

If that was all, then why not just buy the Miata...........    FYI, the Fiat has the better suspension tuning, the Mazda the better powertrain IMO. 

1 minute ago, Stew said:

If that was all, then why not just buy the Miata...........    FYI, the Fiat has the better suspension tuning, the Mazda the better powertrain IMO. 

Is that really true? I know multiple magazines say it, but I have to question it when you see so many Miatas out on road rally races.

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Is that really true? I know multiple magazines say it, but I have to question it when you see so many Miatas out on road rally races.

I don't know why multiple sources would lie about it.   The Miata has had some cushiness and body roll mixed in for the last few gens.  hey still handle great sure, but they also tend to exhibit more body roll than you would imagine. 

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Depends on weather you wanted it Tunes for track work or as a cruiser

4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Depends on weather you wanted it Tunes for track work or as a cruiser

True and really, what has been tested besides the Abarth.  that is the only 124  I would consider and that is only after seeing one in person and falling in love with it.  in reality my top choice would be the 86, then the BRZ with the new sport package, then the Miata RF, then the Abarth, then the Miata roadster.  Of course i guess this makes it obvious I am some averse to convertibles lol. 

40 minutes ago, Stew said:

"better".. the fiat is a turbo 1.4L.... right?  it is slightly heavier,
from fiat - " 160 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque "  that'd be closer to having the 2.5L in the car than the 2.0L with that torque...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Stew said:

True and really, what has been tested besides the Abarth.  that is the only 124  I would consider and that is only after seeing one in person and falling in love with it.  in reality my top choice would be the 86, then the BRZ with the new sport package, then the Miata RF, then the Abarth, then the Miata roadster.  Of course i guess this makes it obvious I am some averse to convertibles lol. 

All of them are entirely lustworthy IMHO.  Were I in a slightly different state of life, I would be looking at that rather than a GTI, ST, or WRX for my next car.  I adore the styling direction Buick is going, but my wife and I both want a manual transmission for the next car.

36 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Torque comes at a lower rpm too

The Fiat is a darned nice little roadster.

20 minutes ago, Stew said:

There are times when I honestly consider getting a used FR-S or BR-Z, but another part of me also wants something larger with AWD for my next vehicle. 

Totally understandable, if you have the extra disposable income, then great, get a fun Spring Summer auto to drive, but for most of us, we are looking at best multi-purpose auto for year round. Plus there are some very fun AWD cars and CUVs/SUVs.

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

...and I have driven small sporty cars in Ohio, not known for its good winter weather....year round for decades.

It is all about one's comfort level in the snow and ice. No doubt. Regardless of what vehicle one has in winter, it is the person behind the wheel that determines if they get to where they desire to go....

And you AND your wife want a manual for the next car's trans?  You picked well, mi amigo!

29 minutes ago, lengnert said:

It is all about one's comfort level in the snow and ice. No doubt. Regardless of what vehicle one has in winter, it is the person behind the wheel that determines if they get to where they desire to go....

And you AND your wife want a manual for the next car's trans?  You picked well, mi amigo!

Thanks!

And yes a Miata is both wicked fun in the snow and entirely sub-optimal for comfort during an Ohio winter.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

Totally understandable, if you have the extra disposable income, then great, get a fun Spring Summer auto to drive, but for most of us, we are looking at best multi-purpose auto for year round. Plus there are some very fun AWD cars and CUVs/SUVs.

We usually don' get much of a winter here, at least as far as snow.  I sill have my 4x4 Dakota too if i was needed.  It would be a while anyways.  My brother is already talking about selling/tradinhis ATS, it is AWD maybe he would give me a heck of a deal :)

14 minutes ago, Stew said:

We usually don' get much of a winter here, at least as far as snow.  I sill have my 4x4 Dakota too if i was needed.  It would be a while anyways.  My brother is already talking about selling/tradinhis ATS, it is AWD maybe he would give me a heck of a deal :)

Why is he getting rid of his ATS already?

1 hour ago, Stew said:

Wants more power, but to keep AWD.  I tried to talk him into a 14 AMG E63 S wagon AWD. haha.  that is a sleeper and a half.  

Sleeper and a half indeed!