Fiat News: FCA Submits Application To Certify 2017 MY Diesels, Features Updated Software

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is hoping to get back in the good graces of the EPA after it was alleged the company violated diesel emission standards by failing to disclose eight different software programs used on the 3.0L EcoDiesel V6.

On Friday, FCA announced that it had submitted a diesel emissions certification application for the 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500. These models feature new emissions control software that should hopefully get them approved. FCA says if the 2017 models get the green light, it will update 2014-2016 models with the updated software.

"The filing is the result of many months of close collaboration between FCA US and EPA and CARB, including extensive testing of the vehicles, to clarify issues related to the Company’s emissions control technology. With the permission of EPA and CARB, FCA US intends to install the same modified emissions software in 2014-2016 MY Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 diesel vehicles. FCA US believes this will address the agencies’ concerns regarding the emissions software calibrations in those vehicles," the company said in a statement.

"FCA US also believes that these actions should help facilitate a prompt resolution to ongoing discussions with the Environment and Natural Resources Division of the U.S. Department of Justice and other governmental agencies."

FCA better hope so as there is the possibility of a lawsuit from the U.S. Justice Department over the alleged emission violations.

Source: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
Press Release is on Page 2

FCA US Files for Diesel Vehicle Certification

May 19, 2017 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US announced today it has formally filed an application for diesel vehicle emissions certification with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) for its 2017 model-year (MY) Jeep® Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 diesel vehicles. These vehicles feature updated emissions software calibrations.

The filing is the result of many months of close collaboration between FCA US and EPA and CARB, including extensive testing of the vehicles, to clarify issues related to the Company’s emissions control technology. With the permission of EPA and CARB, FCA US intends to install the same modified emissions software in 2014-2016 MY Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 diesel vehicles. FCA US believes this will address the agencies’ concerns regarding the emissions software calibrations in those vehicles.

FCA US also believes that these actions should help facilitate a prompt resolution to ongoing discussions with the Environment and Natural Resources Division of the U.S. Department of Justice and other governmental agencies.

FCA US expects that following EPA and CARB approval, owners of the 2014-2016 MY vehicles will be able to receive the software updates at their dealerships. FCA expects that the installation of these updated software calibrations will improve the 2014-2016 MY vehicles’ emissions performance and does not anticipate any impact on performance or fuel efficiency.

View full article

Hope this works out for them as I could care less about Fiat and the rest of the Italian garbage, but for the American Name plates, I would like to see them survive.

You might be hoping against hope on that one. 

Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram have been on borrowed time ever since Bob Eaton sold the former Chrysler Corporation to Daimler-Benz in 1998.  I personally doubt anyone cares about the US nameplates that are FCA executives these days.  Sergio has always believed that FIAT, not Chrysler, is the one that he needs to serve and save if necessary.  As for the issue at hand, I am glad that they are actually trying to address this issue before they fall into VW's purgatory.