Auto Gauges, Manual, Digital, Are They Even Needed?

David

Auto Gauges, Manual, Digital, Are They Even Needed?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on Auto Gauges?

• Manual Gauges are the best, no digital for me!
    • Digital Gauges are the best, no old manual for me!
    • Notification lights are best with just a MPG notification!
    • We need no stinking Gauges, My SmartPhone can tell me all!
    • Why mess with what has worked for the last 100 plus years, keep it the same!
    • Single or Dual monitor info screen for the future!
    • Touch screen interface all the way, time to dump anything old manual when we can code it!
    • Manual Gauges with small Digital Screen for Details

Auto Gauges, Manual, Digital,

Are They Even Needed?

Ran into a debate that was in multiple forums and even on Jalopnik that had editors and forum members debating the need of Auto Gauges and the type. Manual, Digital, Monitor screen, touch, etc.

As such, what are your thoughts on the type of dash info you feel 21st century auto's should have?

I like the full customization for instrument clusters like the new Mustang. I'd be okay with an analog tach/speedo but still maintain an LCD screen of some sort for additional information. That's what I have now but I wouldn't be opposed to more digital for a larger display of the additional information. Heck, the LCD screen can be set to speed anyway. 

I am a fuel economy whore though. I love that information. My mom's 2012 Fusion gives crappy mpg information. Her's is like a damn bar that goes up and down for instant readout but it just isn't that accurate because the scaling and size of the screen. 

I usually prefer the traditional 6 full analog gauges like on my Mustang or my old Jeep, but I do like the digital speedo that looks like a normal speedometer with needle but can be toggled to a digital number readout on my Jeep, with the info screen within it that can be changed on the fly to show many things--tire pressure, oil life, oil temp, battery life, fuel economy, trip odos, etc.. 

maxresdefault-15.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

There doesn't seem to be an option for what I'd want.  I like mechanical gauges for the commonly used items with a small screen for the more in-depth stuff.  I think the Chrysler's pull this off well.  The gauges have depth and class, but then I can get other info from the center screen. 

What I don't like is these giant displays... they have so much backlight that it can make it difficult to focus at night. 

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

There doesn't seem to be an option for what I'd want.  I like mechanical gauges for the commonly used items with a small screen for the more in-depth stuff.  I think the Chrysler's pull this off well.  The gauges have depth and class, but then I can get other info from the center screen. 

What I don't like is these giant displays... they have so much backlight that it can make it difficult to focus at night. 

Kind of like to see the Saab 'black out' feature again...when I was driving all night in my Jeep, I dimmed  the center UConnect screen, it was too bright. 

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Kind of like to see the Saab 'black out' feature again...when I was driving all night in my Jeep, I dimmed  the center UConnect screen, it was too bright. 

Yup, exactly that. I had an Impala last week and all of the brightness from the screen and gauges was bothersome at night. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Ask and you shall receive. Good catch, I did not think about the manual with a small digital screen. Thank you

Manual is always classy.

Digital like Knigth Rider ...or a 1980s Corvette (and several other 1980s cars)  is OK with me too.

Digital that emulates manual gauges is awesome. 

So I really dont have a problem with  the "delivery".

I do question sometimes on the quantity of information though. How much info do we need displayed in front of us...immediately, even with a quick and simple toggle of a steering wheel button before it gets to be information overload?

Do we really need a tachometer displayed when our cars are automatic?  

If the argument is to see were the car is revving on a cold winter night before we take off so the car could warm up properly...well, modern cars dont really need to be warmed up...(I actually do leave the car running...but not for the RPMs to drop below or at 1000 so the car could be ready to go....its for the car to get HOT on the inside so I dont freeze my ba*&lls off!) 

Do we really need to know at all times what radio station the radio is at? In the old days...this is what people had

Image result for 1980s Delco car radio

Somehow those people back then knew what channel the bloody radio was on...they also knew where the bloody needle needed to be to get perfect reception if the pre-select buttons were not used...(I remember those people quite well as I was one of those people that knew how to handle a radio like that...)

Especially when digital display radios were a thing in the 1980s...I think its redundant to have the radio station number displayed on the dash where the speed and idiot lights are displayed...or on the windshield via HUD...

So...that would the kind of thing that would be of concern for me regarding car gauges and information.

Edited by oldshurst442

17 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have to assume this isn't what you're talking about even though it sounds like what you're talking about..

Mechanical guages + smal info screen. 

Focus Interior.jpg

Edited by ccap41

16 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I have to assume this isn't what you're talking about even though it sounds like what you're talking about..

Mechanical guages + smal info screen. 

Focus Interior.jpg

Yup, that's what I want... I just think the Chrysler gauges have more depth to them. More of a 3d effect that I prefer

Chrysler-300-2015-8.jpg

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yup, that's what I want... I just think the Chrysler gauges have more depth to them. More of a 3d effect that I prefer

Chrysler-300-2015-8.jpg

Yeah, that is definitely a better looking design but that's also in cars that aren't 15k so I'd hope they did a better job. 

I'd agree with your wanting analog gauges mixed with an info display. I'd like the screen a little larger if I'm being picky but my car is small so I wouldn't expect to have a larger screen. 

Some nice, well-presented and legible analog gauges flanking a small multi-information LCD display is my pick. 

There's nothing I want to see more than the speedo and tach in a performance vehicle. I would maybe accept a large tach in the middle with smaller screens on either side.

For a normal passenger car, I don't care much. So long as it's easy to navigate, digital, analog, mixture, whatever. My Scion only has this-

xB-panel.jpg

And it doesn't bother me in the slightest. To be honest, I appreciate the minimalism and the added forward visibility it gives. Shrugs.

On 1/3/2018 at 2:48 PM, ccap41 said:

Do you still have your GTI? I like that instrument cluster. It's clean, clear, and gives you some nice info in the little LDC screen. 

Yep, still have it. The gauges are exemplary. Part of the reason I have no desire to get a replacement that has the Virtual Cockpit that comes in some new models.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2018 at 11:57 AM, Frisky Dingo said:

Some nice, well-presented and legible analog gauges flanking a small multi-information LCD display is my pick. 

There's nothing I want to see more than the speedo and tach in a performance vehicle. I would maybe accept a large tach in the middle with smaller screens on either side.

For a normal passenger car, I don't care much. So long as it's easy to navigate, digital, analog, mixture, whatever. My Scion only has this-

xB-panel.jpg

And it doesn't bother me in the slightest. To be honest, I appreciate the minimalism and the added forward visibility it gives. Shrugs.

That dash is a tragedy for me and a deal breaker, could never own an auto like that.