Geneva 2018: 2019 Jaguar I-Pace Electrifies Ahead of Other Luxury Brands: Comments

Various luxury automakers have taken Tesla as a serious threat and are working on models to take on the start-up. The first automaker out of the gate is Jaguar which premiered the production version in Graz, Austria today. This is quick turnaround considering we only saw the concept at the 2016 LA Auto Show.

Let's talk about the I-Pace's heart. Jaguar has installed two electric motors (one on each axle) producing 294 kilowatts (394 horsepower) and 512 pound-feet of torque. 0-60 mph is said to take 4.5 seconds. A 90-kWh lithium-ion battery pack is estimated to provide a range of 240 miles between charges. 

Plugged into a 100kW DC fast charger, the I-Pace can go from empty to an 80 percent charge. When plugged into a 230V/32A AC wall box, the I-Pace takes about 10 hours to get an 80 percent charge - "ideal for overnight charging" Jaguar notes in their press release.

Like other PHEV and EVs, the I-Pace offers different brake-regeneration settings. The strongest one allows one-pedal driving.

The I-Pace's structure is very different from other Jaguar models as the lithium-ion battery pack plays an integral role. Jaguar claims the I-Pace is its torsionally stiffest production model yet - mostly due to the battery pack. The low and central placement of the battery pack in the vehicle also gives 50:50 weight distribution. 

Design-wise, there isn't much difference between the production model and concept. The overall length and wheelbase is similar to the F-Pace, but the interior is much more spacious as there is no gas engine up front. Designers were able to push the base of the windshield forward to maximize space.

The interior is very much Jaguar with a modern design and various upholstery choices including a wool blend with recycled technical suede cloth. Jaguar's Touch Pro Duo infotainment system provides two touchscreens that control various vehicle functions including audio, navigation, and climate control.

When the I-Pace launches in the second-half of this year, it will be available in S, SE, and HSE trims. A First Edition model offering numerous luxury appointments will be available during the first-year of production.

Customers can begin placing orders at their local Jaguar dealer beginning today. As for pricing, Jaguar will be announcing that next week when the I-Pace rolls out on the floor of the Geneva Motor Show.

Source: Jaguar
Press Release is on Page 2

JAGUAR CHARGES AHEAD WITH ALL-NEW ELECTRIC I-PACE

Clean, smart and offering a wealth of driver assistance features, the Jaguar I-PACE delivers sports car performance, artificial intelligence (AI) enabled technologies and five-seat SUV practicality.

• Jaguar unveils all-electric I-PACE in live global webcast from the vehicle’s manufacturing facility in Graz, Austria
  • Designed from the outset as a premium electric vehicle (EV), the mid-size Jaguar I-PACE SUV offers a bold aerodynamic design and interior space comparable to a larger vehicle
  • Electrifying all-wheel drive performance from twin Jaguar-designed electric motors delivers 0-60mph acceleration in 4.5 seconds (1)
  • 90kWh lithium-ion battery delivers an estimated 240 mile all-electric range (2); EV navigation provides range-optimized routing options
  • Unique aluminum-intensive EV architecture delivers a rigid body structure and 50:50 weight distribution
  • Public fast charging from 0-80 percent achievable in 40 minutes using a 100kW DC charger (3)
  • ‘Smart Settings’ use artificial intelligence algorithms to learn driving habits and tailor the I-PACE to individual driver preferences
  • Software-Over-The-Air (SOTA) wireless updates available to ensure customers have access to the latest vehicle software
  • Customer peace of mind from 8-year/100,000 mile battery warranty (4) and Best-in-Class Jaguar EliteCare ownership package (5)
  • U.S. customer deliveries to begin during the second half of 2018
  • Since the debut of the Jaguar I-PACE Concept, U.S. customers have been registering their interest to purchase the new Jaguar I-PACE at www.jaguarusa.com
  • As of today, Jaguar retailers can begin placing customer orders for the new I-PACE
  • U.S. Pricing to be announced in conjunction with the vehicle’s public debut at the Geneva Motor Show on March 6 at 8:00AM EST

(MAHWAH, N.J.) – March 1, 2018 – Today, the Jaguar I-PACE, the first all-electric production vehicle from the Jaguar brand, has been unveiled to the world in a live webcast. Clean, smart and offering a wealth of driver assistance features, the Jaguar I-PACE delivers sports car performance, artificial intelligence (AI) enabled technologies and five-seat SUV practicality.

British comedian and actor, Jack Whitehall, self-proclaimed EV enthusiast and TV presenter Jonny Smith and American tech guru iJustine, hosted a special live show as the first I-PACE rolled off the production line in at the Jaguar Land Rover manufacturing facility in Graz, Austria, where the car will be built.

Designed and engineered in the UK, the I-PACE will be built in Graz, Austria, as part of Jaguar Land Rover’s manufacturing partnership with Magna Steyr. It joins the growing family of Jaguar SUVs, alongside the all-new E-PACE and multiple award-winning F-PACE.

“We set out with a clean sheet approach to harness new battery electric technology with an architecture engineered from the outset to optimize EV performance, aerodynamics and interior space. The result is the I-PACE – a true Jaguar and a truly driver-focused EV,” said Ian Hoban, Jaguar Vehicle Line Director.

ELECTRIC

With a 432 pouch cell, 90kWh, lithium-ion battery pack, the I-PACE delivers an estimated range of 240 miles2. Owners will be able to achieve a 0-80 percent battery charge in around 40 minutes using publicly available 100kW DC rapid charging facilities3. Home charging with a 230V/32A AC wall box (7kW) will achieve the same state of charge (0-80 percent) in just over ten hours – ideal for overnight charging3.

A suite of smart range-optimizing technologies includes a battery pre-conditioning system which allows the vehicle to warm or cool its battery, and cabin, to an optimal temperature while plugged in to power. By allowing the vehicle to do this while still connected to power, the system reduces the need for the vehicle to tap into its driving range to reach optimal operating temperature.

PERFORMANCE

Two Jaguar-designed concentric electric motors – which feature driveshafts passing through the motors themselves for compactness – are placed at each axle, producing exceptional performance and all-wheel drive, multi-surface traction.

The high torque density and high-energy efficiency characteristics of the motors combine to deliver sports car performance, launching the I-PACE from a standing start to 60mph in 4.5 seconds1. This instantaneous performance is matched with exceptional ride comfort and engaging driving dynamics Jaguar customers have come to expect.

The aluminum architecture uses advanced riveting and bonding technology to deliver a light, stiff body structure. Together with the structural battery pack, it has a torsional rigidity of 36kNm/degree – the highest of any current Jaguar vehicle.

The battery is placed centrally between the two axles, and as low as possible with a seal between the housing and the underfloor. This location enables a 50:50 weight distribution and a low center of gravity. Together with the advanced double wishbone front and an Integral Link rear suspension with standard Active Air Suspension and optional configurable Adaptive Dynamics, this packaging delivers agile handling and outstanding ride comfort.

DESIGN

The Jaguar I-PACE is designed and engineered to take full advantage of its smart electric powertrain, maximizing the potential of packaging benefits EVs inherently bring.

Its sleek, coupe-like silhouette was influenced by the Jaguar C-X75 supercar concept; drawing inspiration for its short, low hood, aero-enhanced roof design and curved rear window from the concept. This cab-forward design contrasts with its squared-off rear, helping reduce the coefficient of drag to just 0.29Cd. To optimize the balance between cooling and aerodynamics, the I-PACE relies on Active Vanes in the grille which open when cooling is required and close when not needed; redirecting air through the integral hood scoop, further smoothing airflow around the vehicle.

Inside, customers will experience a spacious cabin highlighted by the Jaguar brand's exquisite attention to detail and sophisticated materials – including the option of a premium textile Kvadrat interior.

Although classed as a mid-sized SUV by its physical footprint, the cab forward design and packaging of the EV powertrain mean the I-PACE offers interior space comparable to a larger vehicle. The I-PACE affords a rear legroom space of 35.0-in (890mm) and a useful 0.43- cu. ft. (12.3-liter) central storage compartment in a space that would ordinarily by occupied by a transmission tunnel in a conventional internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicle. Also in the rear, tablet and laptop storage can be found beneath the seats; while the rear luggage compartment behind those seats offers a 25.3 cu. ft. capacity, a generous 51.0 cu. ft. is available with the second row seats folded flat.

CONNECTED-CAR TECHNOLOGY

The Jaguar I-PACE introduces the Jaguar InControl® Touch Pro Duo™ infotainment system to Jaguar. First debuting on the Range Rover Velar and later on the 2018 Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, Touch Pro Duo relies on a pair of innovative touchscreens which work in conjunction with capacitive sensors and tactile physical controls, to make the new system intuitive to use6.

A new EV navigation system built into Touch Pro Duo calculates personalized range and charging status to assist with driver confidence. To gather this data, the Touch Pro Duo system analyzes the topography of the selected route to the destination and aggregates that information with insights from previous journeys, including individual driving styles.

The advanced system uses ‘Smart Settings’ technology – driven by Artificial Intelligence (AI) algorithms – to identify individual driver preferences, and then tailors the vehicle’s driving and interior settings accordingly.

The I-PACE will also launch an Amazon Alexa Skill linked to the Jaguar InControl Remote App. Owners will be able to ask an Alexa-enabled device for information such as “Is my car locked?,” “What is the charging level?,” and “Do I have enough range to get to work?” among other things.

To ensure customers always have access to the latest infotainment, telematics and battery energy control software, the I-PACE will also be the first Jaguar to provide Software-Over-The-Air (SOTA) updates.

In the U.S. the I-PACE will be available in the second half of 2018 as a 2019 model year vehicle, in S, SE and HSE derivatives as well as a one-year-only, First Edition model derived from a very well equipped HSE trim.

View full article

Very excited for this CUV. I am looking forward to seeing how I sit in it. Lots to like, wish it was a bit more feline in form, but I do see the nodes to the cat.

The exterior shape is a bit stubby, something seems off like it doesn’t look like their other SUVs, but the inside looks quite nice.  The powertrain and performance specs look very impressive.

Question is what will it cost?

30 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The exterior shape is a bit stubby, something seems off like it doesn’t look like their other SUVs, but the inside looks quite nice.  The powertrain and performance specs look very impressive.

Question is what will it cost?

They clearly aimed for the Tesla X P100D a $150,000 CUV. If they come in at $100,000 they will hurt Tesla sales big time.

10 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I'm seeing predictions of $75-95K. In other words; WAY too much.

Based on aiming for the Tesla X, they could get that amount and major sales as it would be much cheaper than the Tesla X and is way better looking.

'Better looking' is highly subjective (higher than usual in this case). i-Pace is what Ralphie's father (admittedly; an Oldsmobile man) would call 'a clinker'. Model X is far sleeker than the Ipace (which might be more visually logical as a nissan).

Model X -obviously as an SUV- doesn't sell in great numbers even relative to the Model S.

But besides that, this trend is cutting the knees out from under Musk's 'philosophy' of providing EV motive to the masses. The masses aren't spending $85K in huge numbers... but with it being so hard to make a profit in general on EVs (some have claimed 'impossible'), nevermind that jaguar sells hardly any vehicles whatsoever (in the U.S.), spinning it off as another strato-spherically priced EV 'luxury' pod is the only possibly business case at this point. No matter what Jaguar does, it can't get a toe in the luxury volume game door. And the I Pace isn't going to do it, either (unless it's $30K).

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

'Better looking' is highly subjective (higher than usual in this case). i-Pace is what Ralphie's father (admittedly; an Oldsmobile man) would call 'a clinker'. 

C&G statement of the year!

I agree on the iPace design, it looks like the roof is to squashed and the back window too sloped.  So it doesn't have that crossover shape people want.  Price is still the key, I think $60k range is where they need to start because a GLC43 Coupe and X4 M40i are $60k to start with similar size and performance, a Macan GTS is $68k.  If Jaguar goes $75-90k they are over shooting the market.

And Jag cannot afford to overshoot anything.

It's too cartoonish, too Kia-esque. Nose is covered with air intakes & air scoops & air extractors.... puzzling.
Doors handles are crazy low- only a few inches higher than the tires. And the 23" rims are pretty visually disproportionate and make it look even stubbier.

Some could make a STRONG case that this is 'Jaguar not being what Jaguar is' and trying to be another brand.

It looks like a fish with its tail cut off.

Plus... and this is the hilarious part, given British automotive electrical systems.  A running joke for many decades... and now they want to power the whole car with electricity?  :roflmao:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Lucas Electrics.. 

...the notorious unreliability of Lucas components played a key role in tanking the British car industry in the early 1980s. Make the jump for "If Lucas made guns, wars would not start," and other classics.

• The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
  • Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
  • The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
  • The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
  • Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

https://jalopnik.com/399791/joe-lucas-prince-of-darkness-british-electrical-system-jokes

But seriously, I'm sure this new car is very well engineered...been a long time since the Lucas era...

• Haha 1

On 3/2/2018 at 8:33 AM, smk4565 said:

Jaguar’s worst nightmare with this car is this, which actually looks like an SUV and does impressive drifting

Mercedes-Benz-EQ-C-668x409.jpg

Anyone can drift on snow in an SUV. My Escalade can do this.

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Anyone can drift on snow in an SUV. My Escalade can do this.

I've done it in my JGC...had to turn off the traction control.  Was fun to hoon around after a big snowfall last month... 

• Thanks 1