Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

June Car Spotter

I really like these redline editions that Chevy does. I know there isn't anything groundbreaking here, but the package just pulls everything together and looks great. 

• Agree 4

The yard service that takes care of the house across the street from me uses a Silverado Redline like the one Drew posted.  My yard service guys have a regular 14-15 Silverado crew cab in bright red w chrome trim. 

Not sure.  Hard to tell the years on those, but they are ones with the squinty headlights--the MCE of the 99-07(?) generation. Edit--looks like 03 is when they changed the front end of the Silverado in that generation. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Sunday night - I was in a shopping center and had just gone to Trader Joe's for some groceries.  Upon returning, I saw an immaculate mid 2000s Impala with everything on it.  It had out of state plates (from a state in which I had also lived) and the driver was getting in.  So we started talking.  It was his late mom's and he had it for a year or so.  He liked talking about his car and he was really taken with it.  It was a 2005 in a beautiful copper color, with tan leather buckets, a console, and a sunroof.  He didn't know what engine it had, so he lifted the hood and I informed him he had a 3800 V6 and that he should take car of it because it could run forever.  I didn't comment but it said Series II on the shroud.  Since Series IIIs were in Pontiac Grand Prixs the year before, I was surprised to see this.  I'm hoping they had cured the Series II of its issues with faulty intake manifolds by 2005.

Last night - I was getting a haircut and, as I was seated with my back to the glass, a late 60s/early 70s mid size Buick Skylark convertible went whizzing by.  The guy sitting next to me and also waiting also turned around and looked at it.  I asked him if he knew the year.  He definitely said 1970.  He had a Chevy Silverado as his daily driver, so he knew GM.  And that made sense.  It was the same color as my dad's 1970 LeMans base coupe of the same year, in that metallic aqua called "Bimini Blue."  It had a black top (in the up position) and the typical Buick sport wheels.  Nice! (I wish I could have taken a photo of it.)

Edited by trinacriabob

Saw a very clean 1st gen Olds Aurora in a dark teal at the grocery, and saw a strange '80s BMW 6-series coupe at an intersection..was painted gray and dark blue w/ a variety of racing sponsor stickers and stripes.  The inner headlights were yellow. 

Within the last hour.  Wasn't prepared for this siting, so I couldn't take a photo.

Coming toward me was a 1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme coupe.  It was light metallic blue with a white landau and a white pinstripe, the color keyed rally wheels, and white vinyl buckets seats.  It was a Supreme and not a Salon because the buckets had the thinner profile.  It sparkled and looked like it was no more than 3 years old.  At the wheel was a septuagenarian or octogenarian.   I'm almost sure he was the first owner.  I would have loved to have asked him some questions about its specs and mileage.

At about the same time, I saw this 20-something girl walking around who looked just like a 20-something version of Caitlyn Jenner.  I'm sure she's heard that and was probably never compared before the transition.

Was driving home after the wife picked me up and was shocked to see a holden. Still had the australian license plate on the front but the wife snapped the side and back of the SS V edition Holden sedan. Looks even better than the Chevy SS.

HoldenSS1.jpg

HoldenSS2.jpg

• Like 1

One of the guys here that used to be a regular poster here (borger/PCS--Pontiac Custom S) has one like that, same color.  It's easy to buy the Holden badging off the internet and rebadge a Chevy SS---I saw one in Scottsdale like that a couple years ago. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Was driving home after the wife picked me up and was shocked to see a holden. Still had the australian license plate on the front but the wife snapped the side and back of the SS V edition Holden sedan. Looks even better than the Chevy SS.

HoldenSS1.jpg

It's a beautiful car. The lime is a little weird.  However, it's a timeless shape and I like the rear lights quite a bit.

Is this going north or south on I-5?  I don't think I've ever traveled on the lower deck.

40 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

One of the guys here that used to be a regular poster here (borger/PCS--Pontiac Custom S) has one like that, same color.  It's easy to buy the Holden badging off the internet and rebadge a Chevy SS---I saw one in Scottsdale like that a couple years ago. 

This one is a real Holden, had all the badging as you say that can be bought online, plus the matte center hood decal, but the biggest part was right hand driving in a left hand world.

37 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

It's a beautiful car. The lime is a little weird.  However, it's a timeless shape and I like the rear lights quite a bit.

Is this going north or south on I-5?  I don't think I've ever traveled on the lower deck.

Going Northbound I5

24 minutes ago, dfelt said:

This one is a real Holden, had all the badging as you say that can be bought online, plus the matte center hood decal, but the biggest part was right hand driving in a left hand world.

Going Northbound I5

Wowza.  A right hand drive one.  I wonder how you could legally get one in the US.   I know people have brought in bodies to convert SSes and G8s to Utes and wagons.  Saw a G8 wagon in Arizona a few years ago...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

A real interesting character, that one ...  the person, not the car.  And I mean this in a nice way.

A couple of days ago, I saw a bright red Pontiac G8 in a parking structure.  The person parked it like an a-hole but, since it was near a major gym, I figured it was an arrogant muscle head who might be its proprietor.

WP_013001.thumb.jpg.3e4c024402e6801b246dace100780c7a.jpgWP_013004.thumb.jpg.8ac66c01b9a7ebc11d3a81f08f732485.jpg

Then, across the parking structure, I saw this moments later and had to cringe.

WP_013005.thumb.jpg.f206e894410e79ed9b4c5bd5f786923c.jpg

I also saw an immaculate 06-07 Monte Carlo LT coupe with the upturned spoiler and the larger five-spoke aluminum wheels leaving a McDonald's parking lot.  A smaller, middle aged woman with auburn hair was behind the wheel.  With the bigger wheels, it could have been a 3.9 instead of a 3.5.  I'm not a fan of the metallic charcoal or dark silver color, but the car looked great.

Edited by trinacriabob
spacing

23 hours ago, balthazar said:

I also saw a mid-80s Cutlass Ciera sedan, clean other than the paint degrading. These things used to be ALL OVER.

The 90s ones can still be seen here regularly, along with similar vintage Centuries.

Years ago when I was shopping for my Cutlass Convertible... I had found a nice red one with heads-up-display, but it had some issue I didn't like that I don't remember. Since I was getting ready to walk, the saleman tried to "upsell" me to a newer Cutlass Cierra with lower miles for about the same price.

Saw a really clean dark red w/ dark red 1/4 vinyl top '81-82ish Monte Carlo this afternoon.   It had these unusual wheels like in this photo, don't think I've seen one w/ these wheels in years, maybe decades.

81-82_Chevrolet_Monte_Carlo.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Saw a really clean dark red w/ dark red 1/4 vinyl top '81-82ish Monte Carlo this afternoon.   It had these unusual wheels like in this photo, don't think I've seen one w/ these wheels in years, maybe decades.

81-82_Chevrolet_Monte_Carlo.jpg

Never understood how people lose their center cap? 😕

Just noticed that Monte has the T Top option. Sweet.

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Never understood how people lose their center cap? 😕

Just noticed that Monte has the T Top option. Sweet.

That's just a random photo I found online to illustrate the wheel style.  The one I saw was dark red, with those wheels w/ the center caps. 

• Thanks 1

Saw an Oldsmobile Alero in Mint condition. Have been seeing alot of older auto's posted in Estate sales which is where I am thinking this came from as I have not seen an Alero in forever let alone in just amazing shape like it just came off the sales floor.

Did a 500 Mile road trip yesterday, over the North Cascade Highway, back over Highway 2. The PNW German Auto group had their yearly get together in the town of Leavenworth. A german town that has embraced their roots for tourism after the lumber mill shut down.

20180616_181120.jpg

20180616_181224.jpg

20180616_180622.jpg

20180616_180533.jpg

Have to say I really like this Matte Purple Audi.

Stopped at a fruit stand and found this which was very cool.

20180616_171109.jpg

20180616_171059.jpg

20180616_171003.jpg

Cool, did you see a bunch of badass TDi powered VW Group products?

1962 Imperial coupe, for sale in decent shape, chalky red paint.  Would make a nice counterpoint to Balthy's '59 Buford, maybe with a 392 transplant!  (SAVE the original 413 or whatever though).

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Cool, did you see a bunch of badass TDi powered VW Group products?

Yes there was a ton of VW products and no I only saw 1 TDi that was gutted internally and the guy was showing off that he had put an LS motor into the car. Diesel is not a desired auto powertrain here.

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

Yes there was a ton of VW products and no I only saw 1 TDi that was gutted internally and the guy was showing off that he had put an LS motor into the car. Diesel is not a desired auto powertrain here.

Weird.  Not sure I believe that, but if that's your story and you're sticking with it...  ;)

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Weird.  Not sure I believe that, but if that's your story and you're sticking with it...  ;)

Even back East they swap out the VW Engine for an LS!

See the source image

Today at lunch I ran over to Wendy's for a quick bite and saw that even in their senior years, once an asshole still an asshole BMW driver / parking.

20180619_193836.jpg

For dinner took the wife and daughter to Red Robin. Parked right next to a lovely CT-6 with the TTV6 motor. They are sharp and I noticed others were looking at it.

20180621_193546.jpg

• Haha 1

Dropped the SS off for Mobil 1 change and to replace the front windshield as a rock from a construction truck cracked it big time.

Interesting is that the GM authentic glass is $799 and two weeks to get but the GM certified replacement glass is $384 and will is available from the local warehouse today. 😕 They say no difference and will have the same shading as the original that came with the auto new.

Got an XT5 to drive, mixed feeling, will  give you all an update on it after today's driving.

20180622_100312.jpg

Can tell ya right now, the white interior I HATE! 

WOW talk about all the dirt and spots from previous drivers. White just should NOT be used on a car interior as humans for the most part are pigs about cleaning up after themselves.

Saw a few clean vintage GMs whilst out and about yesterday.

-A '70 Buick Grand Sport in silver w/ black vinyl top

-A black '69 Buick LeSabre 4dr ht w/ Buick road wheels

-A white '65 Olds 88 2dr ht

-A black '66-67 Corvette convertible

-A silver blue '77 Pontiac Grand Prix (different car than the one I saw for sale last month). 

and on the weird end of the spectrum a blacked out '91-92 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon w/ purple headlights and a padded top w/ the big rear side windows covered.  I think I've seen this car around before from a distance. 

As far as other marques, I saw a sharp white '59 Thunderbird convertible (black top up), and saw a clean dark red '82-84ish Lincoln Continental..think it's the same car I saw a couple months ago. 

• Agree 1

An absolutely Immaculate first generation Dodge Dynasty. Very likely with the original owner behind the wheel. Grandpa was making *ahem* excellent time!

It did not have a V6 badge on it so that means it was the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder and a Chrysler 3-speed automatic praying the rosary at that speed over the mountains outside Altoona.

I also found a mostly intact white '84/'85 Toronado in a scrapyard with the same color interior as mine but full leather... AND the leather is near perfect!  I will be placing phone calls tomorrow. There are a bunch of parts I'd like to snatch. 

I'll have some pics from that scrap yard to post later, some shots that might interest @balthazar

• Agree 3

On 6/5/2018 at 12:33 PM, trinacriabob said:

Sunday night - I was in a shopping center and had just gone to Trader Joe's for some groceries.  Upon returning, I saw an immaculate mid 2000s Impala with everything on it.  It had out of state plates (from a state in which I had also lived) and the driver was getting in.  So we started talking.  It was his late mom's and he had it for a year or so.  He liked talking about his car and he was really taken with it.  It was a 2005 in a beautiful copper color, with tan leather buckets, a console, and a sunroof.  He didn't know what engine it had, so he lifted the hood and I informed him he had a 3800 V6 and that he should take car of it because it could run forever.  I didn't comment but it said Series II on the shroud.  Since Series IIIs were in Pontiac Grand Prixs the year before, I was surprised to see this.  I'm hoping they had cured the Series II of its issues with faulty intake manifolds by 2005.

Last night - I was getting a haircut and, as I was seated with my back to the glass, a late 60s/early 70s mid size Buick Skylark convertible went whizzing by.  The guy sitting next to me and also waiting also turned around and looked at it.  I asked him if he knew the year.  He definitely said 1970.  He had a Chevy Silverado as his daily driver, so he knew GM.  And that made sense.  It was the same color as my dad's 1970 LeMans base coupe of the same year, in that metallic aqua called "Bimini Blue."  It had a black top (in the up position) and the typical Buick sport wheels.  Nice! (I wish I could have taken a photo of it.)

That Era of Skyalrk convertible is sublimely cool.

On 6/22/2018 at 4:54 AM, ocnblu said:

Nice Denim Blue TDi convertible, tan top, tan interior.  At the walking trail parking lot.

I love my Denim blue Beetle R type...

16 hours ago, dfelt said:

I guess this just proves, born a BMW Asshole, an Asshole for life even in your senior years.

BMW-Asshole.jpg

The kid in me would love to key the dog crap out of that car...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/22/2018 at 7:19 AM, dfelt said:

Today at lunch I ran over to Wendy's for a quick bite and saw that even in their senior years, once an asshole still an asshole BMW driver / parking.

20180619_193836.jpg

For dinner took the wife and daughter to Red Robin. Parked right next to a lovely CT-6 with the TTV6 motor. They are sharp and I noticed others were looking at it.

20180621_193546.jpg

Admittedly, the CT6 is growing on me.  The canting of the rear taillamps as it is pulling away looks good.  It's well suited to be their flagship sedan.

• Like 1