Jump to content
dfelt

XT5 - 3 days, 300+ miles, Review

Recommended Posts

XT5 - 3 days, 300+ miles, Review

20180622_100312.jpg

20180624_190122.jpg

Dropped off one auto Friday morning and was put into a 2017 XT5 in White with White / grey interior. Fit and finish is solid, comfort level, this auto has it and could easily be a road trip CUV. Ease of use is right up there especially if you are a GM previous owner, this auto makes it easy to get in, adjust and drive. CUE worked flawlessly for me and spacious, yup, had that in spades.

This was the initial impression, once you get over the newness of being in an auto you then start to notice small things such as the drivers chair for me initially was fine, but by the end of the first day, I realized it was short for my thighs, lucky for me, this auto has the seat extender and that does miracles for support of the legs.

20180624_193646.jpg

Dash was very easy to understand and flow was good, we had a hot day over the weekend and at first my wife complained it was not blowing enough AC on her, but then after going from split foot and body to upper body only, then the wife was cool and comfy. For a woman who is not a technical person, she did get used to the touch screen as well as the feedback of these touch surface buttons. Their drive selector was easy to pick up and learn along with using a push button start and push button eBrake. Have to say, keyless access with start / stop buttons does make driving a lot better. Just get in, step on brake, push the start / stop button, push the eBrake and then side button press and pull back on the electronic shifter and away you go. 

20180624_193626.jpg

Dash was good and visible, no complaints there.

20180625_073158.jpg

So with this, I cam up with a pro and con list of things about the XT5.

Pro:

  • Fit n Finish, top notch
  • Ride very comfortable and quiet
  • Room inside, rivals some full size autos
  • Auto Sense seatbelts
  • 360 degree camera and backup camera
  • Built in wireless Cell Phone Charger pad
  • Sky Roof
  • 1 touch gas tank flap - Wife loved no gas cap
  • V6 power with V4 mode for cruising
  • Heated / Chilled seats
  • Rear Cargo room - Made Costco shopping easy
  • Nav system with local traffic updates and suggested route changes
  • Stereo system, made tunes sound great
  • Front and rear sensors for parking
  • Backup camera system
  • Storage nooks
  • AWD System
  • 18.5 mpg highway cruising

Con:

  • Start / Stop system
  • 12.2 mpg local driving
  • AWD system
  • Major Blind Spots
  • Front Valance

So one of the things that was an irritant to me was the start / stop system which I have yet to find one that is smooth. Lucky, GM allows you to turn it off. Second thing I noticed was that in local driving, I was averaging 12.2 mpg, totally sucks as this thing is FWD bias and that brings up the next issue, I was on a dry road when I wanted to cross 3 lanes and oncoming traffic, in my SS I step on it and it goes, no problem, AWD and power shoots me across. This car does a traditional front end lift and wheel spin before the sensors kick in and slow you down to hook up. I pressed the Mode button, on comes the AWD light and I have basic AWD mode and Sport Mode. Much better when driving and I honestly could not tell much of a difference between the two. The wheel spin went away and I felt much more confident when cutting across lanes of traffic. Sucky part is that when you turn the auto off, it defaults back into FWD mode and I could not find anything in the menu system to turn on AWD all the time.

One that owns an Escalade, I am used to blind spots and big size being taken into account. The XT5 has major blind spots and it is almost worthless to do shoulder checks as you really cannot see out even for a big 6'6" tall guy like me. Wife hated the blind spots. I know that regulations has increased the window sill level to increase side impact protection, but the bunker look is a serious problem that GM needs to figure out how to protect while still giving a great green house open feeling.

The last issue is the front valance on the nose, going up to traditional parking spot cement stops, you always ended up scrapping, this is just stupid and they need to rise it up so you can go wheels up against it without scraping off the lower front end of your auto. I can actually better understand Ocnblu who took it off his pickup truck as it really does cause more issues than it is worth, though with the poor local MPG, I wonder how much of a difference it would make.

In comparison to both the Asian and European competitors, this is a solid matchup that will end up leaving people open to driving a brand from anywhere with what works best for them. Everyone has small things that can work or fail depending on personal preference. XT5 is a solid hit no different than what you will find from others OEMs.

End result, If your looking for a solid mid size CUV with luxury, the XT5 will do it for you in spades, just beware of a few gotchas that can affect some people's ability to get around. Cadillac has done a great job on this auto, but a few more tweaks are still needed to truly make is near perfect.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do really think, like the previous SRX, Cadillac has a hit in spades with the XT5.  I have been researching previous SRX for my mother, it seems those had a lot of issues.  I hope the XT5 is solid in the reliability department.

This is packaged like the Ford Edge, but is nicer (probably like the MKx).  This type and size of crossover is the modern day large sedan with the amount of utility people want and consider luxury.  There really is no limit to how many of these Cadillac can sell depending on how exclusive they want to make them.

I would enjoy a V model of the XT5.  I know some don't feel there's a market but honestly a 3.0 twin turbo six version of this with amped up handling and such they would sell a few of those as well.

I am concerned about that mpg.  I recall from my time selling used cars that a lot of the GM powered v6 SUV's with the 3.6 didn't get great mileage then.  Example, the second gen Saturn Vue.  The Ford's of the same ilk didn't get any better either.  It seems that despite a decade of new technology, with the v6 and AWD, the fuel economy is still a concern, despite what the EPA estimates may say.  That is a deterrent for some I think.

Nice write up.  The XT4 while being a lesser ride than the XT5 will be on the short list of consideration for my next ride.

Edited by regfootball
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, regfootball said:

I would enjoy a V model of the XT5.  I know some don't feel there's a market but honestly a 3.0 twin turbo six version of this with amped up handling and such they would sell a few of those as well.

Glad you enjoyed my write up on the XT5, I have to totally agree with you that they need a V model of the XT5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

12.2 mpg.

are you sure you didn’t mean 21.2 mpg???

 

like 12.2 mpg. 🤮

That was the biggest surprise to me, I always reset everything so that I can have current my driving stats and not compiled of me and others. the local driving was a disappointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That doesn't seem possible unless it was comprised of full throttle hill climbs.
I got a steady 14 MPG out of a 2bbl 389 CI V8 car with a 3-spd auto, and I used to drive it like a bat out of hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Drew Dowdell @balthazar I totally agree, I am just reporting what the computer told me for Daily city driving.  I honestly was shocked that running awd locally on the auto was no better than what I get on my AWD SS in city driving. Very weird for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 7:42 PM, regfootball said:

I do really think, like the previous SRX, Cadillac has a hit in spades with the XT5.  I have been researching previous SRX for my mother, it seems those had a lot of issues.  I hope the XT5 is solid in the reliability department.

This is packaged like the Ford Edge, but is nicer (probably like the MKx).  This type and size of crossover is the modern day large sedan with the amount of utility people want and consider luxury.  There really is no limit to how many of these Cadillac can sell depending on how exclusive they want to make them.

I would enjoy a V model of the XT5.  I know some don't feel there's a market but honestly a 3.0 twin turbo six version of this with amped up handling and such they would sell a few of those as well.

I am concerned about that mpg.  I recall from my time selling used cars that a lot of the GM powered v6 SUV's with the 3.6 didn't get great mileage then.  Example, the second gen Saturn Vue.  The Ford's of the same ilk didn't get any better either.  It seems that despite a decade of new technology, with the v6 and AWD, the fuel economy is still a concern, despite what the EPA estimates may say.  That is a deterrent for some I think.

Nice write up.  The XT4 while being a lesser ride than the XT5 will be on the short list of consideration for my next ride.

until i drove it.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2018 at 12:26 AM, Suaviloquent said:

12.2 mpg.

are you sure you didn’t mean 21.2 mpg???

 

like 12.2 mpg. 🤮

That is unacceptable. I have done better with three quarter ton trucks towing trailers.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you turn off AWD? That will probably raise your MPG a couple of points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the XT5’s listed on fuelly.com show it averaging a bit over 20 mpg. Like 20-22 range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×