Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Industry News: Detroit Auto Show To Exit Winter Season in 2020

It is now official, the Detroit Auto Show will not be held in January beginning in 2020. Organizers of the show made the announcement yesterday afternoon and released a teaser video showing what the show may look like in its new date, complete with outdoor test tracks and vehicle displays.

The Detroit Auto Dealers Association (DADA) will be holding a press conference on July 24th announcing the new date. As we have reported previously, DADA was considering moving the show to October not only for better weather (a complaint for a number of journalists who cover the show), but to also give it some breathing room from another show, the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) that takes place around the same time.

There is also another month possibly up for consideration, June. This is being pushed by General Motors that sees the show being reworked as "massive festival of automotive" that would be aimed at consumers - not the media. The hope is that it will draw more people to Detroit to the various venues. It should be noted that June is when the Detroit Grand Prix on Belle Isle is held, and is sponsored by Chevrolet.

Organizers are also considering a name change. A source tells The Detroit News there are twelve names under consideration, but will likely not be announced on the 24th.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Detroit News

View full article

New Name would be good, June I could get behind as a much better month for consumers to come, kick the tires, test drive, etc.

Change will be the best thing for Detroit to reinvigorate the auto show and the people in the area.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, dfelt said:

New Name would be good, June I could get behind as a much better month for consumers to come, kick the tires, test drive, etc.

Change will be the best thing for Detroit to reinvigorate the auto show and the people in the area.

That's a good point. It does make sense to do it at a time of year when people are more willing to leave their homes and travel. 

• Like 1

June would make more sense to preview upcoming model years cars.   This show as it sits is dying on the vine in January.  Plus there are so many big auto shows around the world now and Detroit isn't the center of the car world.

6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Tie it with woodward

August 18th 2018 is this years show.

So doing an Monday to Wednesday for reporters and Thursday to Sunday for the public would make it August 13th to 19th.

That would be a win win for everyone having the autoshow plus the Woodward making a blast of a time for auto enthusiasts.

16 minutes ago, Guest potluck said:

Detroit auto show needs to exit Detroit

Where, Sterling Heights, Ann Arbor, one of the surrounding bedroom communities?

Indianapolis, Cleveland and Cincinnati I would think already have their own auto shows. So I would have to think it would be a local community rather than downtown detroit.

Maybe they can host it in Pontiac, I doubt any of the surrounding communities has a big enough place to host the show.

22 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Where, Sterling Heights, Ann Arbor, one of the surrounding bedroom communities?

Indianapolis, Cleveland and Cincinnati I would think already have their own auto shows. So I would have to think it would be a local community rather than downtown detroit.

Maybe they can host it in Pontiac, I doubt any of the surrounding communities has a big enough place to host the show.

None of the bedroom communities could handle it.  The other cities could, but would you really send it to Indianapolis? (where I am today)

• Like 1