Dream Car Garage...

Time Travel Edition....

Your 12 year old self, 22 year old self, 32 year old self, 42 year old self, 52 year old self...

If you are not 42 or 52 yet....what you would buy today if you were older.

For your younger self, anything available at the time you were that age.

Only restriction is must be street legal. Kit cars, one of show cars, prototypes, et al completely allowed.

Does not have to be your only car...5 exotic concepts is fine.

12 year old self...69 Charger

Pretty Mellow guy at 22...newly married....living a quiet life...but still loved cars....how about this Buick GS?

Was into Mustangs at 32...this 68 CS/GT should fit the bill..

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

42 year old self was into Autocross...Factory 5 for me at 42...

52 years old I had mellowed out...that was last year...Think I would take a CTS-V wagon...

Okay...maybe I have not mellowed that much...

• Agree 2

12 years old:

1990 Oldsmobile Toronado.. and because I'm 12, I'd want it in red. Its the first good year of the last Toronados, though we wouldn't find that fact out for another 2 years.

1990-oldsmobile-toronado-american-cars-for-sale-2016-05-22-4-1024x768-1024x768.jpg

22 - 2000 Cadillac Seville STS - The best Cadillac of the day

2000-cadillac-seville-sts-americanlisted_27038669.jpg

32 - 2010 - The only answer is Cadillac CTS-V Wagon. I did have a previous generation CTS sedan at this time.

CADILLAC-CTS-V-Sport-Wagon-4459_23.jpg

42 - 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Probably a Summit).  This is the one that is the most likely to end up a reality. 

2018-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Summit.jpg

52 - 2030 Probably a big luxury sedan... whatever Cadillac, Genesis, or Mercedes is selling at the time. If they're still selling sedans.

• Agree 1

12 year old

1979 Ranchero GT or El Camino SS

image.png

image.png

22 year old

1989 Skyline GTR

image.png

32 year old

1999 GMC Yukon GT

image.png

42 year old

2009 Cadillac XLR-V

image.png

52 year old in November, so I choose the right of the Future

2019 Cadillac EV as NOTHING current on the market really makes me go WOW, Gotta own it.

image.png

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Are some folk listing their picks if they were 12, while some are listed their picks from WHEN they were 12?
Horsey- you did a '69, a '70 and a '68.

Izz confoozed.

I interpreted it as picking cars that from the year you were 12...so when I was 12, it would be 1982.   Still ruminating on what my list would be.  Though I can see how Horsey's choices and comments take it a different way..

When I was 12, the 1982 Mustang GT caught my eye while reading Car & Driver.  5 years later, I had a red 1987 Mustang GT.

Article-498-80db0241a3a1beef2f18d79f0ab75514.jpg

22, 1992 Acura NSX.  I remember lusting after the NSX in college.  In 1998, a friend bought a used black 91. I got to drive it a few times and rode in it many times over the next decade..

Screen-Shot-2017-02-22-at-11.27.31-AM-940x721.png

32, 2002 BMW E46 M3.  I had an E36 M3 at the time, but found the E46 very appealing.

1-32-1-940x627.jpg

42, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.   Five years later I bought a 2014.  Love it.

2012-jeep-grand cherokee-frontside_jegc121.jpg

52, 2022.  Dodge Challenger SRT or Cadillac CT6 (tie).   Still 3 years in the future, not sure if either of these will exist in current form.  But 2019 versions would make good CPOs. 

430593.jpg

2019-cadillac-ct6_100648381_h.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

In 1985, I was 12 years old.  There were Porsche 911s on my radar. The A-Team GMC van, the 3rd gen Pontiac Trans Am and KITT that I loved, but like every teen aged boy during this time....

I saw both movies at the cinema...

A red Countach is what I wanted then as a 12 year old and going back into time for 1985, a red Countach for a dream garage for when I was 12 years odls is what I would want now...

Related image

At 22 years old, in 1995, A 1995 Pontiac Firebird Firehawk or 1995 Trans Am is what I wanted then...and now. 

Image result for 1995 pontiac trans am ws6

Related image

I was 32 in 2005, and although I bought a 2005 Impala SS in 2005, but I really wanted a Chrysler 300C, the car I truly lusted over was a 2005 M-B CLS 55 AMG. The CLS 63 AMG is want I really want but that came out in 2006. So Ill stick to the CLS 55 AMG of 2005

Related image

Image result for 2006 mercedes cls 63 amg tuner

I was 42 in 2015...and I was and still am tempted by the Devil with the Hellcat!

The Demon is in the Motley Crew video, but its ther Hellcat that was available in 2015 and its the Hellcat that I still want!

Image result for 2015 dodge challenger srt hellcat o

And although Im not 52 yet, tomorrow I get to be 46...God willing. 

So we do 2019 as 2025 is still a ways away...

Cadillac CT6-V

Related image

Related image

So much for the EV movement in this dream garage!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Until Blu checks in here, I get to be the old man.
I was 12 in 1978. I was already into vintage iron then, tho of course I didn't own anything (neither did anyone in my family). Somewhere I have a 'top 5' list I used to do, when it struck me, I'd list the cars I liked that week. The vast bulk was vintage stuff even when I was in my teens; '50s/60s domestic iron.

Reel back from the despair :

Scan 5.jpeg

A Porsche 911 barely broke into the high 14s, a Trans Am was pulling down low 15s, and these were 'fast' cars. A Ferrari 308 was a 15.8 sec car!! Sorry if I couldn't get excited.
- - - - -
When I was... I think 16, I told my father I wanted to buy a car I'd found. It was a flattop '59 Catalina, it had no title, no ignition key, and someone had heaved a cement block thru the rear wrap window. It was $50 but it might as well have been $5000- dad said no way and he didn't even see it.

When I was 23, I bought my '59 Invicta. THAT was an event of high lust, especially when held up against the anemic plastic junk of 1989. No contest.

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

Are some folk listing their picks if they were 12, while some are listed their picks from WHEN they were 12?
Horsey- you did a '69, a '70 and a '68.

Izz confoozed.

The car you listed after when you were that age...but either one is fine. I was 12 in 77...last good year for to midsize so probably Cutlass of some sort. . 22 in 87 so air cooled 911...97...32...hmmm...Mustang Cobra...42...2007...Z06 Corvette...2017...Challenger SRT. 

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

\Screw the Cadillac CT6 V

At 52...Im going all out on a 1970 Oldsmobile 442

Unfair...I have just for that car that runs from being 7 to being 53....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Until Blu checks in here, I get to be the old man.
I was 12 in 1978. I was already into vintage iron then, tho of course I didn't own anything (neither did anyone in my family). Somewhere I have a 'top 5' list I used to do, when it struck me, I'd list the cars I liked that week. The vast bulk was vintage stuff even when I was in my teens; '50s/60s domestic iron.

Reel back from the despair :

Scan 5.jpeg

A Porsche 911 barely broke into the high 14s, a Trans Am was pulling down low 15s, and these were 'fast' cars. A Ferrari 308 was a 15.8 sec car!! Sorry if I couldn't get excited.
- - - - -
When I was... I think 16, I told my father I wanted to buy a car I'd found. It was a flattop '59 Catalina, it had no title, no ignition key, and someone had heaved a cement block thru the rear wrap window. It was $50 but it might as well have been $5000- dad said no way and he didn't even see it.

When I was 23, I bought my '59 Invicta. THAT was an event of high lust, especially when held up against the anemic plastic junk of 1989. No contest.

My dad was honestly willing to let me but a clapped out 62 Impala SS convertible when I was 16. Still have gone memories of test driving it with the top down on a fine summer Indiana day with him. Miss my dad...and I miss that Impala. Given that it is cold and snowing in Ohio...I miss the sunshine also.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I did take my dad (he was reluctant) to look at a gold '62 Studebaker GT Hawk. That car was, IIRC $1000, and to be fair he did look it over, but again- it was too old (this would have been 1985-86). I asked him about it about a year ago- he didn't remember seeing it. I can still picture the black vinyl interior and the dent in the top of one front fender that must've come from a baseball bat wielded in anger, and I can pick out the house on Pennington Rd where it was. Always liked the GT Hawks.

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

I did take my dad (he was reluctant) to look at a gold '62 Studebaker GT Hawk. That car was, IIRC $1000, and to be fair he did look it over, but again- it was too old (this would have been 1985-86). I asked him about it about a year ago- he didn't remember seeing it. I can still picture the black vinyl interior and the dent in the top of one front fender that must've come from a baseball bat wielded in anger, and I can pick out the house on Pennington Rd where it was. Always liked the GT Hawks.

Your not that old, only 1yr older than me. :P 

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

That car is one of my secret loves also.

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

Your not that old, only 1yr older than me. :P 

We are all getting to be old bastards....the older I get...the faster I was when I was young.

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

That car is one of my secret loves also.

We are all getting to be old bastards....the older I get...the faster I was when I was young.

We are exchanging physical speed with mental speed.

Fast physically but stupid when young.

fast still, but faster mentally as we sharpen our primary tool.

:D So your actually moving faster, cause your more consistent and dependable. 💪🍷