Next gen Charger underpinnings - what's it going to be?

trinacriabob

As I scour for articles on the next version of the Charger, I can't seem to keep the timeline of what has been said in order.

I'll see an article that says it will be on a version of the Alfa Romeo Giorgio platform modified and tuned for the new Charger.  Then, I'll see an article with the late Marchionne saying it will be on a highly modified version of the current chassis that will perform very differently.  (I interpret that as "better").

What seems to be the latest train of thought for the next Charger ... and the next Challenger? 

Also, do you think the next rendition will roll out in 2021 instead of 2020?

Given there was no mention of Dodge products in the 5 year plan last year, my guess is it will be a refresh of the current cars sometime in the next decade.   Nothing official has been announced.  Whatever FCA is planning outside of Ram, Jeep and Alfa they are keeping very quiet...

• Thanks 2

Honestly from what I’ve heard-there is no future.

The plans for now are to basically keep updating them until the eventual sales slide coming for these (and in general) cars. It’s why you see the freedom given to “hot rod” them up instead o putting that money toward some EV or downsizing (both would happen if they move on)

Best I can say is enjoy them while they are here-any future in FCA cars is only AR alone......

• Agree 3

38 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Honestly from what I’ve heard-there is no future.

The plans for now are to basically keep updating them until the eventual sales slide coming for these (and in general) cars. It’s why you see the freedom given to “hot rod” them up instead o putting that money toward some EV or downsizing (both would happen if they move on)

Best I can say is enjoy them while they are here-any future in FCA cars is only AR alone......

Hot rod them up? Yes.  I was in CA and AZ for a few days last month.  In AZ, I took my crappy rental car up toward Mt. Lemmon outside of Tucson.  In a pullout was one pimped out looking red Charger Hellcat.  I think it was a car club.  I lowered the passenger window and asked the Hispanic guy who owned it, "What, about 700 horses?"  He proudly said, "707."  Yep.  I thought so.  He had the model that makes the most horsepower.  Not interested in feeding that.

Sad but true...end of the road is nearing for affordable V8 RWD cars...alas, it's the era of CUVs and SUVs, and an EV future is on the way.... at least the Charger and Challenger haven't devolved into FWD 4cyl generics.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Sad but true...end of the road is nearing for affordable V8 RWD cars...alas, it's the era of CUVs and SUVs, and an EV future is on the way.... at least the Charger and Challenger haven't devolved into FWD 4cyl generics.

that wouldn't work... at least given the status of the 200, the dart and such. unless it's a generator with a powerfull EV drivline.

Just now, loki said:

that wouldn't work... at least given the status of the 200, the dart and such. unless it's a generator with a powerfull EV drivline.

Yes... that why I said 'haven't'.   Those days of FWD generics are in the past for FCA hopefully...

Could someone envision a powerful and larger displacement 4 cyl. as the base engine for the Charger?  I'm talking like the 2.5 Ecotec we see in the current LaCrosse and Impala as the base engine, not to mention the 250 hp 4 cyl. base engine that powers the new Kia Stinger.

Edited by trinacriabob

There was even talk about resurrecting the Barracuda name plate and making that a smaller and lighter convertible  based on the Giorgio platform. And If Im not mistaken, this was why all the talk was about how the Challenger would also be on the Giorgio platform too.  

Or something like that...

All those 5 year product reviews that Marchionne did every 6 months...had FCA projects going in all directions, then cancelling, then re-approving, then shelving, then reassessing, then pleading to other manufacturers to merge or form partnerships with, then trying to force partnerships with other manufacturers, then seeing nobody is interested, then issuing more 5 year product reviews every 6 months going in all directions, then cancelling, then re-approving, then shelving, then reassessing....rinse and repeat. 

Before I forget, somewhere in there in between all those 5 year product reviews every 6 months, FCA separated with Ferrari. 

Probably a good thing for Ferrari. 

As for the C in the FCA part which includes Dodge. The future looks grim Im afraid...

Related image

• Haha 1

The Mustang and Camaro have gone with base 4 cylinder engines. I dont see as how the Challenger cant do the same.

Plus, the Challenger has gone all wheel drive too on the 6 cylinder version. So, its not as if the Dodge engineers and marketing folk are afraid to mess with a supposed muscle car formula...

If anything, with 4 cylinder pony cars from GM and Ford and AWD with Mopar in theirs, I think the Dodge engineers and marketing folk are full aware of the possibilities to keep the Challenger and Charger nameplates alive. 

'Tis not in Auburn Hills that is the problem, but the "F" part of FCA...

If the "F" part in FCA would release some R&D funds for the "C" part which includes Dodge and not totally soak up the Jeep and Ram profits only for Alpha Romeo, Fiat and Maserati, then Dodge and Chrysler will survive just fine, if not...

Image result for death gif

7 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

"What, about 700 horses?"  He proudly said, "707."  Yep.  I thought so.  He had the model that makes the most horsepower.  Not interested in feeding that.

That kitty could get quite thirsty, yes.  But she rewards you with some  awesome purrs when you treat her just right.  

7 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

..."What, about 700 horses?"  He proudly said, "707."  Yep.  I thought so.  He had the model that makes the most horsepower.  Not interested in feeding that.

There are THREE tune levels above 707; 808, 840, and the 'Hellaphant' crate motor was recently unveiled with 1000 HP.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Well, at least there is a proud set of folks out there to still keep them going. And with some pretty sad choices out there, the charger looks better every day... 🙂 . Not that I hate future cars to anything, but it’s nice to have something with old fashioned balls....

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

On 3/16/2019 at 7:00 PM, Robert Hall said:

It’s possible. The 270 hp 2.0 turbo 4 in the new Wrangler may appear in other models down the road. 

I looked it up.  I much prefer that they would go the displacement route, like Ecotec 2.5.  These 4 cylinders with DOHC seem to need a good bit of VVT apparatus, let alone a turbocharger.  The entry level engine to the Charger today delivers 292 hp.  I was also looking at a Wiki article about the "World engine," all 4 cylinder variants, something that the Europeans (Fiat) and Hyundai collaborated on for different aspects of it.

If a Charger could muster up a big 4 and lay it into the engine bay for RWD set up, that, too, will resemble the space under the hood of a car found in the past!  

I agree that a much improved 4 cylinder may start the Charger line up the next time around.

Edited by trinacriabob

FCA also has the 2.4 L Tigershark SOHC 4cyl in the Cherokee, but like the GM 2.5 Ecotec it's low on power and torque (both under 200hp and 200 ft/lbs).    I don't think it would be very good to power a hefty sedan..the 3.6 is a better base engine, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

FCA also has the 2.4 L Tigershark SOHC 4cyl in the Cherokee, but like the GM 2.5 Ecotec it's low on power and torque (both under 200hp and 200 ft/lbs).    I don't think it would be very good to power a hefty sedan..the 3.6 is a better base engine, IMO.

Starting out a Charger at under 200 hp would not work and would be detrimental to sales.  You're right ... the GM 2.5 makes about 190 hp but it also has remained unchanged for a while.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Totally agree, if and when the next gen Charger comes out, either Turbo 4 or V6 as the base engine has to have a minimum of 300HP.

• Agree 1

On 3/19/2019 at 12:03 PM, dfelt said:

Totally agree, if and when the next gen Charger comes out, either Turbo 4 or V6 as the base engine has to have a minimum of 300HP.

And this very well could be the reason that they're delaying the release.  They're trying to make sure they're going to get it right.  They certainly have gotten their "mileage" out of the current platform/chassis, just making minor adjustments over the last 12 or so years.  I also think they are aiming at a minimum of 300 hp.  That's probably a certainty.  I just wish they'd do it with a larger displacement 4 or a smaller displacement V6, derived from the current Pentastar V6, and avoid the turbocharger.  I know they've gotten more compact and more reliable, but it's extra hardware.

I know I'm out of synch with this one, but I sure wish FCA could muster up a slick Chrysler 300 to continue running alongside the Charger.  If people buy Cadillacs or up-line Japanese sedans for so much more, I don't see why they wouldn't consider a beautifully executed Chrysler 300 for mid-$30Ks.

• Agree 1