Jump to content
Create New...

How often do you change your oil?


Recommended Posts

On 11/30/2020 at 6:46 PM, balthazar said:

In mid-level trims (Elevation & SLE), the price diff of the 3.0L TD is $1K over the 5.3, but the city MPG goes up by 5.

I have a relatively light foot only because the 2500HD is elderly & tired; I brake like a loaded semi and I don't hammer on it like I used to. But it's MPG has never differed regardless, I've logged every fuel fill since I got it.

And the fuel cost difference between the two? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right now about .28 / gal. I'd have to look in my log, but I drive about 10K per year (2018: 9600 miles).

10K miles per year @ 16 MPG = 625 gals x 2.01 = $1256 / yr.
10K miles per year @ 21 MPG = 476 gals x 2.29 = $1090 / yr.
annual fuel savings: $166.
Duramax pays for itself in 6.02 years.
I've been in my current truck for 14.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, balthazar said:

Right now about .28 / gal. I'd have to look in my log, but I drive about 10K per year.

10K miles per year @ 16 MPG = 625 gals x 2.01 = $1256 / yr.
10K miles per year @ 21 MPG = 476 gals x 2.29 = $1090 / yr.
annual fuel savings: $166.
Duramax pays for itself in 6.02 years.
I've been in my current truck for 14.

I think a couple of other things...

Cost of oil changes on diesels is higher... Gladiator Diesel is like over $200 it is insane.

You will have people really wanting a diesel truck if you ever trade it back in.

Was thinking GTI or Jetta GLI really hard when I bought the Ranger but future trade in was a factor.

Trucks... especially diesel trucks...always seem to be in demand if they are not rusted to death or beaten to death.

Also...Blu has ruined me in terms of Trucks. I really disagree with David here...I am really kind of finding the full-size Current GM crop hot.

Had a whole car carrier of GMC and Chevy full size go by me the other day....all white... everything from work truck to Denali level.

Loved every minute of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Cost of oil changes on diesels is higher... Gladiator Diesel is like over $200 it is insane

How’s that possible?

I change my own about every 6000, so slightly LESS than twice a year. Cost me about $50.

Edited by balthazar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

How’s that possible?

I change my own about every 6000, so slightly LESS than twice a year. Cost me about $75.

The Filter itself is like $85 and it takes a large quantity of special oil.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

How’s that possible?

I change my own about every 6000, so slightly LESS than twice a year. Cost me about $75.

You are the exception as I do not find to many people who do their own oil changes anymore. Either 3rd party places like Grease Monkey out here or the dealership is the norm for most people now and diesel oil change is expensive.

I do understand, as I have in the past changed my own oil, but now time and disposal properly of used oil, might as well use the dealership.

 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was curious and looked at Napa web site and O'Reilly auto parts and found for a 2017 Chevy Diesel filters from $10 to $40 so took the middle as I hate using cheap filters. So $20 for a filter and then OIL, regular Mobil synthetic oil is $48.99 for 2.5 gallons or Mobil Delvac regular diesel oil at $44.99.

So if you do your own oil changes, I can see from $75 to $100 per oil change for materials. Then you have time and disposal of said dirty oil on top of that.

Called my local Chevrolet and was a bit shocked when they quoted me $95 for an OEM filter and their 2.5 gallon container of GM synthetic oil was $99. OUCH, the guy even said it would be cheaper to have them do the oil change with tax at under $200 or if I wanted to stay a DIY person, go to Napa.

Very interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NAPA Gold (made by Wix) is $18. I had bought a case of them some years ago; then I think they were $7 or $9 ea, but I only have one left.
Last time I bought a 3-gal case of Rotella-T @ Costco- it was $30. That’s a $48 oil change.
It takes me less time to change my own oil than schedule/ drop off/ wait/ go pick up than for me to do it myself at my whim in my driveway.
Disposal is thru the county- once every couple years I ride about 2 miles and drop off all hazard chems I may have accumulated. Easy-peasy.
 

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

NAPA Gold (made by Wix) is $18. I had bought a case of them some years ago; then I think they were $7 or $9 ea, but I only have one left.
Last time I bought a 3-gal case of Rotella-T @ Costco- it was $30. That’s a $48 oil change.
It takes me less time to change my own oil than schedule/ drop off/ wait/ go pick up than for me to do it myself at my whim in my driveway.
Disposal is thru the county- once every couple years I ride about 2 miles and drop off all hazard chems I may have accumulated. Easy-peasy.
 

Very cool, Costco is probably cheaper on the large oil container than Napa or others. Here all used motor oil is required to be returned to any parts store for recycling. The 3rd party oil change places take at most 30 min to get it done and you usually just park the auto, go into the waiting area and then pay, head out the other side, jump in and drive off. Better than me getting dirty and messing with it all IMHO.

But then that will be a thing of the past once I move to an EV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, David said:

The 3rd party oil change places take at most 30 min to get it done and you usually just park the auto, go into the waiting area and then pay, head out the other side, jump in and drive off

It is never 30 minutes, you have to get to dealership and than it takes at least an hour till they process your car, all in all you spending at least couple hours and being grossly overcharged.  My wife's car is still under warranty and I prefer to change oil at a dealer just not to get them excuse in case something happens.

My car on the other hand is out of warranty and very easy to change oil.  Synthetic oil from Costco for $25 and high quality Purolator filter from Amazon for $8 or $9 and it takes me exactly 30 minutes on my driveway including taking out and putting back all the tools.   

Any local car auto parts store or Walmart takes used oil for disposal. 

Edited by ykX
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My last oil change at the dealer was quick, I got there at 8am on a Friday and was out in 40 min or less, incl tire rotation, air filter and cabin filter.   Once a year given how little I drive.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

NAPA Gold (made by Wix) is $18. I had bought a case of them some years ago; then I think they were $7 or $9 ea, but I only have one left.
Last time I bought a 3-gal case of Rotella-T @ Costco- it was $30. That’s a $48 oil change.
It takes me less time to change my own oil than schedule/ drop off/ wait/ go pick up than for me to do it myself at my whim in my driveway.
Disposal is thru the county- once every couple years I ride about 2 miles and drop off all hazard chems I may have accumulated. Easy-peasy.
 

Autozone accepts used motor oil also...and other places around here accept it.

Ford Ranger has filter in awkward location. It's fifty dollars for a dealership oil change which includes a vacuum cleaning wash and tire rotation.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ykX said:

It is never 30 minutes, you have to get to dealership and than it takes at least an hour till they process your car, all in all you spending at least couple hours and being grossly overcharged.  My wife's car is still under warranty and I prefer to change oil at a dealer just not to get them excuse in case something happens.

My car on the other hand is out of warranty and very easy to change oil.  Synthetic oil from Costco for $25 and high quality Purolator filter from Amazon for $8 or $9 and it takes me exactly 30 minutes on my driveway including taking out and putting back all the tools.   

Any local car auto parts store or Walmart takes used oil for disposal. 

True at a dealership at least an hour or so at my local dealership is about an hr. But the grease monkey is always about 30 min.

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

My last oil change at the dealer was quick, I got there at 8am on a Friday and was out in 40 min or less.   Once a year given how little I drive.  

Agree, I noticed that the dealership now schedules up oil changes so I have never been longer than an hour and I like that you get tire rotation, over all auto check for any other maintenance needed and a complete wash and vacuum for a clean auto when you leave.

Both of my auto's use Synthetic and so $69.95 at my Cadillac dealership for the Escalade and SS. I see no need to get dirty and get under the auto when it can be done this cheap IMHO and I am out the door without dealing with oil disposal and cleanup.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would never use a Grease Monkey / Jiffy Lube- heard a handful of horror stories.

I've changed my own oil for decades now. Rule of thumb is; I'm fine if I don't have to jack the vehicle up. The exception here is the Jeep Liberty; don't have to jack it up but getting the filter out is a PITA, so I don't do it. Actually got the Chevy dealer to change it last time! Bet they don't see many Jeeps in there. Have a very good service department there... but I have not & won't wait in a dealer / service outfit while my vehicle is worked on. Drives me crazy.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, David said:

I see no need to get dirty and get under the auto

You see, to me it is far more enjoyable than mowing my lawn for example.  I would rather work on my car than do landscaping.  I guess part of me being a car enthusiast.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, ykX said:

You see, to me it is far more enjoyable than mowing my lawn for example.  I would rather work on my car than do landscaping.  I guess part of me being a car enthusiast.

I’ll admit I do enjoy planting trees and cultivating them.  I started using a yard service when I lived in Phoenix, had no interest in mowing in the summer when it was 110F or more often.   
I’ve never been much of a wrencher, I’ve always enjoyed driving more than tinkering. 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I’ll admit I do enjoy planting trees and cultivating them.  I started using a yard service when I lived in Phoenix, had no interest in mowing in the summer when it was 110F or more often.   
I’ve never been much of a wrencher, I’ve always enjoyed driving more than tinkering. 

That's fine to each its own. 

I am not much of the wrencher either, just like doing some basic stuff.  I would rather drive also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Random car pic... and....

130216929_3852492548116760_5341979772846

Ecodiesel oil change I was talking about...

 

Oil change with the filter location on the Ranger is a bit awkward...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If a new car or truck of mine the first oil change gets done around 1,500 mi. to get the factory fill "break-in" oil out. I know engines are "broke in" at the factory now, but there are still piston rings to seat completely and main bearings to fully set and I like to get Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic in ASAP, it really does make a difference. GM Dexos oil is decent, but it's a blend of conv./syn. All Corvettes come from the factory filled with Mobil 1 Full Syn. since at least the first C5's in '97 so it wasn't as much of an issue, but both the C5 and Silverado get Mobil 1 Full Syn. and Wix XP Syn. compatible oil filters every 6 mos. or 6000mi. that's about when the OLM system is at 10% left although I'm a bit over 6 mos. in both right now because the miles are lower than usual and oil life is still at 25% in the Silvy from oil change in May for obvious reasons (Kung Flu). I change the Silvy myself no floor jack even needed and can easily fit under with a creeper, it's fun and I like to look around and check everything else out underneath myself because I care about my truck more than some kid making $12/hr. Since you can't fit a floor jack under a Corvette I take her to a big Corvette Chevy dealer where they actually have the mechanics change the oil on the Vettes. There are very specific points marked "lift here" on the hidden frame rails to setup a 2 post lift for Vettes, even a 4 post ramp lift can get tricky so the oil change kids are a "I don't think so son".

We've unfortunately recently seen what can happen if an untrained service dept. minion tries to lift a Vette, like that new C8 that fell off one recently that wasn't setup right. That's just an irresponsible lift operator and not at all acceptable from any SAE Certf'd. dealership. It's a general safety rule to check, double check then triple check the lift points before you start the hydraulic rams to lift any car.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, balthazar said:

9 quarts... DuraMax takes 10.

Crap my 6.2L takes 8 qts. so does the 5.3L from '14-'18. Apparently the new 2019+ 5.3L and 6.2L take 6 qts. again like the old 5.3L and 6.0L did.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Oil change with the filter location on the Ranger is a bit awkward...

 

I've noticed the new F150 Raptor is a b!tch as well. One of my neighbors was out changing his the other day. They have an access door on the front skid plate and you have to buy a special extended oil wrench from Ford, which he didn't buy, so he was wrestling with it quite a bit. Pretty funny. I said those Ford engineers gotcha good! He scoffed and said no sh!t they really did! :roflmao:

That's ridiculous that you have to do all that to get to the oil filter on the Ranger going in from the wheel well and to actually get to it you have to remove the splash guards in the well? I'd be really annoyed. Why couldn't they design it to get to it from the bottom near the drain plug?! They already make you take the skid plate off to get to the plug! Lol!

 

Edited by USA-1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search