How often do you change your oil?

55 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Every 2,500 is a bit excessive. Just running Synthetic and doubling your change schedule would save you time and money and you still would be changing your oil too early. 7,500 is the norm these days. 

Depends on how old the car (and its engine) is.  Cars from 20+ years ago require changing oil every 3000 miles.  I suspect a lot of newer cars probably need the oil changed more often than the scheduled 5000-7500 miles because of engine wear.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Depends on how old the car (and its engine) is.  Cars from 20+ years ago require changing oil every 3000 miles.  I suspect a lot of newer cars probably need the oil changed more often than the scheduled 5000-7500 miles because of engine wear.

Those estimates were based on the oil from 20+ years ago. I do the oil in my Toronado at 5,000 miles or 1 year (I often hit the time mark rather than the mileage mark) but I use full synthetic and I use a zinc additive required for the age of the car. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Every 2,500 is a bit excessive. Just running Synthetic and doubling your change schedule would save you time and money and you still would be changing your oil too early. 7,500 is the norm these days. 

I know! Since my current car's spec sheet called for conventional 5W-30, I'll probably just do that until I get rid of it.  (The dealer charges me $34.95 for a LOF with conventional oil and even offers to wash the car.) This sort of vigilance got me close to 300,000 miles on my last car ('90s vintage) without having a wrench taken to the engine/transmission/axle for anything other than spark plug changes and transmission fluid changes.

I have a feeling my next car will be technologically very different so I will act accordingly.  

• Like 1

Auto parts stores can be like candy stores ... at least for me.  I was looking at the bottled oil.  Both Castrol and Valvoline offer a "higher mileage" oil which they recommend using when you're over 75,000 or 100,000 miles.  It's $ 1 more per quart.  I asked if it was worth doing if the car has been pampered and the counter folks said 'not really.'

I also took a close look at the bottle and it said synthetic blend.  You can extend your oil change intervals with the full synthetic but I was told the synthetic blend keeps you on the same oil change interval as conventional oil.

I've also read debates on Castrol versus Valvoline multi-viscosity oils.  These debates rage on and on.   What I was able to take away is that, in colder climates, the Valvoline formulation runs "thinner" while warming up and the Castrol formulation offers better protection at very high temperatures.  Since most of us live in moderate climates (ahem), I think this might be more applicable to people living in the Upper Midwest (MN, ND) and the Southwestern desert states, respectively.  That is, if this finding or rule of thumb even holds true.

When I first started driving and had my own hand me down cars I had to take care of, I used Castrol GTX oil religiously and loved that product.

• 9 months later...

Current truck is same as my previous Jeep.  When the truck asks for it, it gets it, pronto.  5W30 Dexos II compliant full synthetic.  First service was free so I returned to the selling dealer, recent, second service and all future ones will be done where I work, with me furnishing the oil and filter.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:17 AM, loki said:

'15 mazda 6. for the first 35K dealership changes at ~5K. After that castrol edge closer to 7500 and mazda filter. About to hit 78K in the next couple weeks.

still doing this, maybe closer to 7K, mileage is like ~89.5K

SS Synthetic every 7K miles or about every 90 days. Escalade is once a year Synthetic based on my current driving habits for road trips and garage kept. All the other auto's are also synthetic following a 7K change based on driving.

27 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Still going to that "perfect" dealership that "never" screws up? 

Yes, my local Cadillac dealership still is hitting 100% for me. :) 

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I mean... You've admitted they aren't hitting 100%.

No dealership is perfect, but for me, the bulk of the work they do has not been a problem and it has been a while since I had any issues with them which they did take care of.

• Agree 1

• 8 months later...
On 3/3/2020 at 1:49 PM, ccap41 said:

I'm just about to hit 50k in a few weeks, as well. That also means oil change time for me. 

I always love oil changes, car seems to run a bit better afterwards, Looking forward to teh first oil change in the Ranger, which will happen at 5000 miles. abouit 3,250 now. Getting 25.4 lifetime MPG out of it. Not bad for a truck tht sees a lot of boost out of the Ecoboost. 

I can't understand why this is so much more fuel efficent than the multiple Escapes I have had as rentals, that struggle to get 23-24 on flat level highway trips. I hear the current gen Escape is much better from a fuel economy standpoint. 

On 3/3/2020 at 1:42 PM, Robert Hall said:

My Jeep is ready for an oil change, coming up on 50k miles...going in for service one of these Fridays.

The Grand Cherokee grows more and more on me all of the time. 

On 3/3/2020 at 12:53 PM, ccap41 said:

Still going to that "perfect" dealership that "never" screws up? 

I have several good dealerships around me, and that is one of the reasons I bought the Ranger. We actually built the dealership I bought the Ranger at when I was working as an electrician for one of my former employers. Not perfect, but good people that want to make things right by customers. 

On 5/21/2019 at 9:38 PM, riviera74 said:

I never like letting them go the full 10,000 miles. Near zero engine issues, over multiple vehicles, and I change oil religiously. 

Yesterday, got both the SS and Escalade Mobile 1 oil changes done. Checked out everything else. Have a bad air sensor on the SS, but not affecting driving and with the Pandemic, will hold off till after the new year.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, David said:

Yesterday, got both the SS and Escalade Mobile 1 oil changes done. Checked out everything else. Have a bad air sensor on the SS, but not affecting driving and with the Pandemic, will hold off till after the new year.

ss probably does not see a ton of use anyways, does it?

11 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

ss probably does not see a ton of use anyways, does it?

The wife drives the SS as her daily ride. She loves it and the power. I just hit 175,000 miles on it and it still fly's. Will have it for a long time as she loves everything about it. Last year, I replaced the died OEM head unit with a Pioneer head unit with Android/Apple play and backup camera and she loves it even more now that she can stream her You Tube music.

My daughter has already put dibs on it when I get an EV for the wife to drive as she wants it for replacing her 1999 Dodge Durango.

• Agree 1

Just now, David said:

The wife drives the SS as her daily ride. She loves it and the power. I just hit 175,000 miles on it and it still fly's. Will have it for a long time as she loves everything about it. Last year, I replaced the died OEM head unit with a Pioneer head unit with Android/Apple play and backup camera and she loves it even more now that she can stream her You Tube music.

My daughter has already put dibs on it when I get an EV for the wife to drive as she wants it for replacing her 1999 Dodge Durango.

Maybe a Rivian?

Neat Rivian video. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Maybe a Rivian?

Neat Rivian video. 

Wife likes the looks exterior and interior of both the Rivian and Hummer. She wants a truck as she wants to go on her time to Home Depot to get stuff for her flowers in the yard and pots. I think I would be happy with either one, but need to do the butt in an actual chair test and see if I can once comfy in the drivers seat, get out and get in behind and still sit comfy. If so then winner winner chicken dinner. Not sure what color she would pick but I am happy with anything, will be her choice.

image.png

image.png

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Rivian is infinitely closer to being in production and 50 grand cheaper.

As has been stated, I am moving slowly as my paid off, in show room condition current auto's has me in no Rush to be the first into them, happy to get the bugs smoothed out before I buy. Will be interesting to see as both the AWD Hummer and Rivian price out the same in the mid 70's for what I am looking at. 

If I win the Lotto then hell yes to a Hummer 1st edition and 1000HP. :P 

• Agree 1

Was under my buddy's '02 nissa -whoops- infiniti QX4 last weekend, inspecting a transaxle leak. Then I happened to notice his oil pan had a severe case of rust acne, like those blooms of rust that flake off with a fingernail. He got a pan from Rock Auto cause ni—infiniti wanted $176 for a pan (with no gasket). You'd have to see this pan, it's TINY. Looks like nissan has it sized for about 1 quart, which means the seam between the pan & the block is ALWAYS under the level of the oil. 🧐

Fast forward to yesterday and my son's Jeep's trans pan looks just that oil pan, so when it gets here in the next 4 or so days, I have a trans pan swap to do. Interesting sidebar- Jeep's 3.7L V6 has NO DIPSTICK in the fill tube, just a cap. Hand-in-hand with that; the manual has no listed trans fluid capacity. Should be able to find that online, I hope.

infiniti pan was dry, but the Jeep is leaking quite a bit. It's grounded until the swap.

Edited by balthazar
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

Was under my buddy's '02 nissa -whoops- infiniti QX4 last weekend, inspecting a transaxle leak. Then I happened to notice his oil pan had a severe case of rust acne, like those blooms of rust that flake off with a fingernail. He got a pan from Rock Auto cause ni—infiniti wanted $176 for a pan (with no gasket). You'd have to see this pan, it's TINY. Looks like nissan has it sized for about 1 quart, which means the seam between the pan & the block is ALWAYS under the level of the oil. 🧐

Fast forward to yesterday and my son's Jeep's trans pan looks just that oil pan, so when it gets here in the next 4 or so days, I have a trans pan swap to do. Interesting sidebar- Jeep's 3.7L V6 has NO DIPSTICK in the fill tube, just a cap. Hand-in-hand with that; the manual has no listed trans fluid capacity. Should be able to find that online, I hope.

infiniti pan was dry, but the Jeep is leaking quite a bit. It's grounded until the swap.

The joys of living in the midwest or east with the inevitable ton of salt on the roads. 

The MINI and the VW's did not rust much, but the Miata develeoped a case of the Ohio Tin worm, sadly. 

Ford does seem to ahve good anti corrosion protection, be interesting to see how the Ranger does long term. 

What model Jeep does your son drive, and how reliable has it been? I have one of my offspring that wants a Jeep, and trying to learn everything I can. 

It’s an ‘11 Liberty Sport. Has been very reliable, I think it has about 130K on it. Only thing it’s needed is about 3 yrs ago it had to limp to a nearby dealer; trans filter was supposedly clogged so it got a flush/filter there. 

Jersey has been using brine for a number of years, but we just don’t see snow much at all. I think we had light snow twice last year. No major snow on a number of years. It’s all in the paint prep I believe; my 2500HD’s pans are fine at 203K miles, and the rest of the Jeep’s underbelly is fine.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

It’s an ‘11 Liberty Sport. Has been very reliable, I think it has about 130K on it. Only thing it’s needed is about 3 yrs ago it had to limp to a nearby dealer; trans filter was supposedly clogged so it got a flush/filter there. 

Jersey has been using brine for a number of years, but we just don’t see snow much at all. I think we had light snow twice last year. No major snow on a number of years. It’s all in the paint prep I believe; my 2500HD’s pans are fine at 203K miles, and the rest of the Jeep’s underbelly is fine.

Liberty is a very capable Jeep, buddy had one. Did great in a few bad Ohio snow storms...

• Agree 1

It seems weird that certain components on certain vehicles don’t last rust-wise. You’d think a manufacturer would determine a long-lasting process and use it on everything underneath, for example. Shouldn’t the entire underside of a vehicle, with the possible exception of the exhaust, rust at the same rate?

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, balthazar said:

It seems weird that certain components on certain vehicles don’t last rust-wise. You’d think a manufacturer would determine a long-lasting process and use it on everything underneath, for example. Shouldn’t the entire underside of a vehicle, with the possible exception of the exhaust, rust at the same rate?

I think that carmakers are more worried about cutting costs than developing things to that level of engeneering. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Ask toyoter how that worked out for them.

I drove the Tacoma and the Ranger....you know the rest of the story....Toyota has cut lots of developmental costs. Look at how advanced the Ram is and how backwards the Tundra is. 

• Agree 2

On 11/27/2020 at 6:11 PM, balthazar said:

I was thinking specifically of the frame rot issue.

I know you were. I think Toyotas failure to update product is pretty relevant given how far behind teh curve the Tundra is as a full size truck. 

• Agree 1

On 11/26/2020 at 7:02 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

I always love oil changes, car seems to run a bit better afterwards, Looking forward to teh first oil change in the Ranger, which will happen at 5000 miles. abouit 3,250 now. Getting 25.4 lifetime MPG out of it. Not bad for a truck tht sees a lot of boost out of the Ecoboost. 

I can't understand why this is so much more fuel efficent than the multiple Escapes I have had as rentals, that struggle to get 23-24 on flat level highway trips. I hear the current gen Escape is much better from a fuel economy standpoint.

I've gotten pretty good mileage out of my two EcoBoosts. I have a pretty light foot though so I expect to do a little better than the ratings. I have also noticed with both of them that once you hit about 70mph, the fuel economy starts to drop quite significantly compared to n/a vehicles I've owned. 

My AWD 2.3T MKC is rated at 18/23 and my lifetime average over the 19,094 miles I've had it has been 23.2mpg.

My AWD 2.0T Escape was rated at 21/28 and I averaged 24.7mpg over 24,611 miles. 

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I've gotten pretty good mileage out of my two EcoBoosts. I have a pretty light foot though so I expect to do a little better than the ratings. I have also noticed with both of them that once you hit about 70mph, the fuel economy starts to drop quite significantly compared to n/a vehicles I've owned. 

My AWD 2.3T MKC is rated at 18/23 and my lifetime average over the 19,094 miles I've had it has been 23.2mpg.

I am at 25.4 lifetime on the Ranger. 

I have given up trying to figure out ecoboost fuel economy. Buddies dad...F150 3.5 Ecoboost crew cab 4WD, loaded, towing loaded trailer...running 75-80....all the way to Denver and back from Columbus...27.6 for the trip. He has reciepts. Trailer was fairly laoded down. Unreal fuel economy for a fullsize truck. 

Friends Tundra 2wd struggles to make 13 or 14 on flat level ground running 55. 

Edited by A Horse With No Name
Capitalization. Horse can't type. Needs new horse shoes on front hooves.

I've gotten pretty good mileage out of my two EcoBoosts. I have a pretty light foot though so I expect to do a little better than the ratings. I have also noticed with both of them that once you hit about 70mph, the fuel economy starts to drop quite significantly compared to n/a vehicles I've owned

That was definitely the case with the Encore. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah....with the ecoboost I frequently find myself driving at 80 in the Ranger and not even noticing it. 

WOW, Just realized that Since last year, November 2019 I just did my first oil change on the SS and Escalade for the winter season here. This pandemic has really reduced my driving and maintenance. No wonder the service departments are sending out digital coupons to remind people to get service done. This has greatly reduced the income of the service departments.

This is the longest time I have ever gone on an oil change. 1 year. 😮 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

'16 Malibu's 450-mile MPG window fluctuates between 30 & 33.
2500HD averages about 16.25. This is why the 3.0L TD is so appealing; combined is about 23.

That's really good for both vehicles, esp. with size. 

3.0 TD would be extremy appealing. 

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I am at 25.4 lifetime on the Ranger. 

I have given up trying to figure out ecoboost fuel economy. Buddies dad...F150 3.5 Ecoboost crew cab 4WD, loaded, towing loaded trailer...running 75-80....all the way to Denver and back from Columbus...27.6 for the trip. He has reciepts. Trailer was fairly laoded down. Unreal fuel economy for a fullsize truck. 

Friends Tundra 2wd struggles to make 13 or 14 on flat level ground running 55. 

Those numbers just don't add up.. 27.6mpg for all a 4WDm loaded and towing.. I mean I don't have any reason to believe he is lying but 27.6 seems out of reach for an unloaded 2WD 3.5EB going 75-80mph. 

Heck, I'm pretty sure when I'm running 75-80mph I'm only about 25mpg.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It's gotta be the whole small displacement and turbo situation. When out of boost, there's just too much drag at those speeds for a small n/a engine OR you're dabbling in the boost also decreasing fuel economy. 

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

'16 Malibu's 450-mile MPG window fluctuates between 30 & 33.
2500HD averages about 16.25. This is why the 3.0L TD is so appealing; combined is about 23.

Overall cost saving would probably favor the 5.3 though. Unless you have a heavy foot(which it doesn't sound like it with 16.25 out of the 2500HD) I'd bet you could get right around 20mpg with the 5.3. 

• Agree 1

Those numbers just don't add up.. 27.6mpg for all a 4WDm loaded and towing.. I mean I don't have any reason to believe he is lying but 27.6 seems out of reach for an unloaded 2WD 3.5EB going 75-80mph. 

It's gotta be the whole small displacement and turbo situation. When out of boost, there's just too much drag at those speeds for a small n/a engine OR you're dabbling in the boost also decreasing fuel economy. 

Overall cost saving would probably favor the 5.3 though. Unless you have a heavy foot(which it doesn't sound like it with 16.25 out of the 2500HD) I'd bet you could get right around 20mpg with the 5.3. 

Yeah, i thought it was odd, but those were his actual numbers. He frequently sees above 20 with that truck. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

58 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Yeah, i thought it was odd, but those were his actual numbers. He frequently sees above 20 with that truck. 

Denver to Columbus is downhill. Lee Iacocca pulled the same trick in a Mustang 60ish years ago.  

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Denver to Columbus is downhill. Lee Iacocca pulled the same trick in a Mustang 60ish years ago.  

Interesting....

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I'm sure of it. 65 - 70 was the sweet spot for MPG for that car.... 32ish mpg highway was possible if it was just me.  Put some people in it and it would drop because of the mountains around here. I could see as much as a 5mpg drop by going 75 instead of 70. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm sure of it. 65 - 70 was the sweet spot for MPG for that car.... 32ish mpg highway was possible if it was just me.  Put some people in it and it would drop because of the mountains around here. I could see as much as a 5mpg drop by going 75 instead of 70. 

I could get low thirties out of the miata when I ahd it, top up and driven sane. It dropped to mid twenties or worse, driven ahrd with the top down....like it was meant to be. 

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

In mid-level trims (Elevation & SLE), the price diff of the 3.0L TD is $1K over the 5.3, but the city MPG goes up by 5.

I have a relatively light foot only because the 2500HD is elderly & tired; I brake like a loaded semi and I don't hammer on it like I used to. But it's MPG has never differed regardless, I've logged every fuel fill since I got it.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

In mid-level trims (Elevation & SLE), the price diff of the 3.0L TD is $1K over the 5.3, but the city MPG goes up by 5.

I have a relatively light foot only because the 2500HD is elderly & tired; I brake like a loaded semi and I don't hammer on it like I used to. But it's MPG has never differed regardless, I've logged every fuel fill since I got it.

I just like the sound of a diesel. I miss my Diesel Jetta.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I just like the sound of a diesel. I miss my Diesel Jetta.

I can still remember the sound of my diesel Escort...though it only had 52 hp, it had great steering feel for an '80s econobox.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I can still remember the sound of my diesel Escort...though it only had 52 hp, it had great steering feel for an '80s econobox.  

I still have a small nimble car fetish. Steering feel went away with Current Gen Miata with Electric Power steering. Sadly.