Mustang with Extra Ecoboost Coming to NY?: Comments

Last month we reported that Ford was apparently working on another version of the Mustang with a more powerful Ecoboost 4-cylinder. Well apparently Ford is preparing to show that Mustang at an event during the New York International Auto Show. 

The new Ecoboost Mustang could possibly wear an SVO badge, going back to the days when one of the hotter Mustangs was also powered by a Turbo-4.

Ford is looking to fill a gap in the Mustang lineup. Currently, there is a 125 horsepower gap between the current Turbo-4 powered car and the V8 Powered GT.  Chevrolet fills that space with a 335 hp V6 in their Camaro, while Ford's base powerplant offers just 310 hp only when using 93 octane.  Over at the Focus desk, Ford has tuned the same 2.3 liter turbo to 350 hp, so we know the drivetrain can handle the extra boost. 

We expect, if this SVO does come to pass, some suspension and chassis adjustments to handle the extra power. Possibly even an updated fascia like the original SVO had.  

We'll find out on April 17th. 

Related:

View full article

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Hmmmm I would certainly hope they beef up the internals so it could handle a ton of hp with a stock block/crank/pistons. 

Naturally. 

The suspension would want a little bit of a firm up too. The base model suspension is tuned more for comfort. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Naturally. 

The suspension would want a little bit of a firm up too. The base model suspension is tuned more for comfort. 

Not necessarily. It isn't like the 2.3 is currently well known for being able to throw massive power at it now even in its 350hp version. 

Had a 2.3 Turbo 10-speed automatic 2019 Mustang Premium convertible for a month and 2k miles. Loved it. Month long average of 26+ mpg no matter how I drove it, and perfect crisp, refined, driving dynamics with a powertrain that could be an animal or just civilized cruising.

Really great setup and drivetrain. After 5k miles in a Challenger Hemi, 2k in a Challenger V6, and combined 2500 miles in (2) different 2017-2018 Camaro 1LT RS V6's, the Mustang is definitely the most polished and on point drive. Out of them, it also had the worst front seats and I could never get comfortable in the cockpit, which was a shame. Combine Challenger interior...with Mustang everything and dynamics...and Camaro looks...and win.

These dynamics in a new Explorer? Sign me up. I couldn't stand the sound of the 2.3T the first 2 days, then after I got used to it, the level of refinement and power mixed with great mileage from it with the 10-speed was just impressive in every way.

Edited by caddycruiser

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

CAFE

Wouldn't an eco boost V6 use less fuel than an N/A V8?

An Ecoboost V8 shouldn't use that much more gas than a regular V8, even more so if they used a 4 or 4.6 liter V8 instead of a 5 liter.

2 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Wouldn't an eco boost V6 use less fuel than an N/A V8?

An Ecoboost V8 shouldn't use that much more gas than a regular V8, even more so if they used a 4 or 4.6 liter V8 instead of a 5 liter.

The V8 isn't going anywhere, Mustang fans won't allow it. 

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

The V8 isn't going anywhere, Mustang fans won't allow it. 

I am not saying get rid of it, I am saying Ecoboost the V8.  Every engine Ford makes now, or almost all of them are turbo, but the V8 isn't.  They should turbo the V8.  

How about a supercharged version?

The reason why I ask is because Ford just released a supercharged version as you know. You mentioned it. 

The Mustang has 3 flavours of V8s  in the Mustang.  

1. Over 700 horsepower on a supercharged 5.2 liter V8 . Possible torque? Maybe Im hoping over 600 ft.lbs because this flavoured Mustang is not only a Chevy Camaro ZL1 competitor for track and hp numbers alike, but Hellcat muscle car competitor as well...and torque is needed for that.

2. A 520 horsepower 5.2 liter "flat plane crank" V8 for track. Naturally aspirated. The torque might be a little lower on this, but its a high revver. This flavoured Mustang really has no equal because this particualr Mustang is more European flavoured than the other two pony cars. 

3. 480 horsepower and 420 ft.lbs on a 5.0 liter naturally aspired.   

These are 3 DISTINCT and UNIQUE V8 versions of the Mustang. Unlike the same ole shyte V8s from GM and Dodge offerings but just add a supercharger on the V8 and let the horsepower and torque fly difference on their versions. 

Mopar and GM go about it differently in distinguishing the "personalities"  of their different versions of the Challenger and Camaro respectively, but the engines in these trims are basically the same "personality, but with a steroid approach to distinguish them.

Ford's approach to the engine versions are truly different from one another.

How would a turbo benefit Ford's V8 hierarchy the way it is now? 

To add it to the Voodoo?  Well, the "flat plane crank" at 5.2 liters the way Ford has done it might have reach its potential and that is why they chose the more conventional American way of doing a V8 with the supercharged 5.2 on the GT500.

To ecoboost the 5.0?  That would probably increase the horsepower rating beating out the Voodoo. But what benefits that approach?

The GT350 is special for many reasons. And 520 NATURALLY ASPIRATED horses is but one (of many) of those reasons. (European flavoured is another) 

I agree, an ecoboosted V8 SHOULD have been made by Ford...but for the Ford GT...

Ford wanted to toot toot toot the ecoboost banner, maybe an ecoboosted V8 would have been ideal. Maybe not.

Maybe Ford should have put an ecoboosted 2.7 liter V6 or take the tranverse 3.5 ecoboosted Taurus SHO, make, it  longitude  and sell the  ecoboost V6  moniker BOTH on GT AND the Mustang...and make that engine into a 450 V6 horsepower affair.  In other words, a DETUNED Ford GT motor for the Mustang...

And had they did that, increase the 5.0 to 480 HP as it is now for 2019 back then 2-3 years ago...

But I dont see how an ecoboosted V8 would benefit Ford for the Mustang as of now.  If Ford decides to stop producing the GT350, then and only then would I see a need for a turbo V8.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 3