GM News: GM Delays Diesel Launch; Expands 6.2 V8 Availability

GM is delaying the launch of the new inline-6 diesel engine bound for the GMC Sierra 1500 and Chevrolet Silverado 1500.  No longer available for ordering on the 2019s, GM has pushed the availability into the 2020 model year. 

According the GM, the emissions certification process on the engine is taking longer than normal.   Customers who ordered a 2019 Silverado or Sierra with the diesel engine will have their orders canceled and will need to resubmit the order for a 2020 model year vehicle once they become available for order.  GM has yet to open orders for 2020 truck models with the diesel engine, but a GM spokesperson said that it will be "soon".

Assuming the current pricing holds, the 3.0 liter Duramax diesel will be priced $2,495 over a 5.3 liter V8 and $2,890 over the 4-cylinder 2.7-liter turbo. 

Meanwhile for 2020, GM is expanding the availability of adaptive cruise control and the 10-speed automatic across the lineup.  At Chevy, the Silverado will now have the optional 6.2 liter V8 on five out of the eight trim levels.  The 6.2 V8 will be paired with the 10-speed automatic and available on the Custom Trail Boss, RST, LT Trail Box, LTZ, and High Country. At GMC, the CarbonPro box will be available at no additional cost when paired with certain other packages on the Sierra AT4 and Sierra Denali, while the double cab Sierra Elevation Trim will now also be available in a crew cab. 

View full article

I am not surprised by this for the Diesel. I do wonder how sales will be affected on Diesel. Be interesting to see what sales are this year compared to last year and the year before.

Those that want it will eventually get it, but this delay is not good for diesel sales.

Expanding the 6.2 to more models is very good idea.  Many people want that engine but not all of the accessories with it and extra cost.

I was surprised when I texted my brother and told him the 6.2 is coming to the Custom Trail Boss, because he mentioned wishing for the chance to order that combo and finally let go of his 2004 Silverado with 271k miles.  His reply?  "How about the diesel?"

He was also interested in an Equinox AWD Diesel for his wife, they test drove it and liked it, but the dealership insulted him with a trade-in value on their 2017 Tahoe. 

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

My ‘04 just turned 190K (diesel). How’s your brother’s holding up?

Last time I rode in it with him, it was still solid as a rock.  I think he put a crate engine in it at around 170k, higher state of tune than original.

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I just want to point out that none of you corrected me when I slipped and called it the 6.3 liter.  :P

I just trust you that much that there was a new V8 coming upsized from 6.2L :D 

14 minutes ago, Potluck said:

Of course GM has never had an issue with diesel motors before.....

I could sense you are a troll...A Ford Shilling kinda troll

I help you out...

True...GM had prtoblems with Diesels. Maybe peeps could forego a GM diesel and they could flock to Ford with their ecoboost turbos.

Sure as hell Ford never had any problems with those catching on fire...and I AM talking about the trucks catching on fire, not just the little 4 banger ecoboosted Escapes and Fusions...but the lawddy dah 3.5 liter Ford F-150 ecoboosted 6...and I am talking about THIS decade...the one YOU are talking about was sooooo 1/2 a  CENTURY ago..

Edited by oldshurst442

On 5/25/2019 at 1:28 PM, oldshurst442 said:

I could sense you are a troll...A Ford Shilling kinda troll

I help you out...

True...GM had prtoblems with Diesels. Maybe peeps could forego a GM diesel and they could flock to Ford with their ecoboost turbos.

Sure as hell Ford never had any problems with those catching on fire...and I AM talking about the trucks catching on fire, not just the little 4 banger ecoboosted Escapes and Fusions...but the lawddy dah 3.5 liter Ford F-150 ecoboosted 6...and I am talking about THIS decade...the one YOU are talking about was sooooo 1/2 a  CENTURY ago..

At least GM has not had an Exhaust gassing leak into the main cabin issue that Ford has had with their Explorers. Amazing after the last few years, they still cannot seem to fix where or how the exhaust gas is getting into the cabin and gassing the owners.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

At least GM has not had an Exhaust gassing leak into the main cabin issue that Ford has had with their Explorers. Amazing after the last few years, they still cannot seem to fix where or how the exhaust gas is getting into the cabin and gassing the owners.

Go figure with Ford.

I like my wife's Fusion. Good car,  But I a tad disappoint with all those recalls on it. Not so much with the recalls, but with the fact that Ford rushed the model to market, and it took the recalls to perfect the model, but all that bad planning had made Ford lose money on a what is essentially a winning car only for Ford to now cancel it...

Just plain dumb...

And its like FoMoCo has not learned from its past doing stupid shyte like this...

Very disappointing. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Go figure with Ford.

I like my wife's Fusion. Good car,  But I a tad disappoint with all those recalls on it. Not so much with the recalls, but with the fact that Ford rushed the model to market, and it took the recalls to perfect the model, but all that bad planning had made Ford lose money on a what is essentially a winning car only for Ford to now cancel it...

Just plain dumb...

And its like FoMoCo has not learned from its past doing stupid shyte like this...

Very disappointing. 

One would have thought this would have gotten more play, but some how it just has been swept under the rug compared to GM's ignition break.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-explorer-lawsuits-exhaust-leak-carbon-monoxide/

7 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

GM had an ignition leak?  How does that work?  Where's Dwight, we need a class in leaking ignitions!

Thank you, Fixed that! :P 

I agree, need a class in leaking ignitions! :rofl:

50 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

GM had an ignition leak?  How does that work?  Where's Dwight, we need a class in leaking ignitions!

If you had a short in the ignition, stray electrons could leak out..

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

If you had a short in the ignition, stray electrons could leak out..

So true, but would Leaking Electrons be more or less dangerous than leaking petro? 🤔

We know leaking electrons around leaking petro is very bad. :P 

BIG BADDA BOOM!