EXCITEMENT! joins the family

Now we are a member of the W body club, the 3800 club, and the red instrument panel lighting club.

Had to have a full brake job done just to drive it.  Need to replace some bulbs and get a working fob.  And a complete fumigation to get rid of the smoke or dead animal or whatever smell is going on inside.  And I'm sure there will be other stuff.  But i drove it back the other day for 230 mile return trip and i must say it brings back the older days of GM with the slow tractor like torque of the 3800 and smooth shifts of the 4 speed automatic.  Not a speedy car but a reminder of what a good road car the older GM's are.  And the ride on the grand prix is arguably better than my TourX.  Shame this doesn't have ABS or side air bags.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 2

Nice..I remember that red lighting from an '05 rental I had over a long weekend in Oregon and the 7 hours of terror going 25 miles in an ice storm...maybe the scariest white knuckle driving I've ever done...driving freeways covered in ice w/ no plowing or salting.

Yes, GM went all-in on ABS for a while, then backed off, then went all-in again.  I forget who put an electronic ABS system into a car as an option first... was it Chrysler in like 1972?  Need moar research.

Reg... very cool gift.  And the fact it is not perfect makes it perfect, it will be a family project.  I'm excited for the football family!  Best of luck and safe travels to your daughter.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, regfootball said:

Now we are a member of the W body club, the 3800 club, and the red instrument panel lighting club.

Had to have a full brake job done just to drive it.  Need to replace some bulbs and get a working fob.  And a complete fumigation to get rid of the smoke or dead animal or whatever smell is going on inside.  And I'm sure there will be other stuff.  But i drove it back the other day for 230 mile return trip and i must say it brings back the older days of GM with the slow tractor like torque of the 3800 and smooth shifts of the 4 speed automatic.  Not a speedy car but a reminder of what a good road car the older GM's are.  And the ride on the grand prix is arguably better than my TourX.  Shame this doesn't have ABS or side air bags.

It'll be trusty and reliable and she'll eventually hate it, but it won't die. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

she'll eventually hate it

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Please elaborate

Yes. Please elaborate Drew.

But I will guess on why she will hate it eventually as I have a good idea.

The red interior lighting will start to become annoying.

The clunky and plasticky dashboard and console will get on her nerves.  Especially the way its angled towards the driver. Sure, its a GREAT driver oriented and focused console, but that only benefits enthusiastic and spirited drivers. Im guessing she is not the spirited and enthusiastic kinda driver. 

I havent been in a GP in a long time, but If I remember correctly, you sit lower in it than, lets say, a W-Body Impala of the same vintage. Like my 2005 Impala SS for instance.  And seeing that this is a CUV type world, sitting low while having high CUVs around you gets frustrating real quick if you aint into that sorta thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Please elaborate

8 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yes. Please elaborate Drew.

But I will guess on why she will hate it eventually as I have a good idea.

The red interior lighting will start to become annoying.

The clunky and plasticky dashboard and console will get on her nerves.  Especially the way its angled towards the driver. Sure, its a GREAT driver oriented and focused console, but that only benefits enthusiastic and spirited drivers. Im guessing she is not the spirited and enthusiastic kinda driver. 

I havent been in a GP in a long time, but If I remember correctly, you sit lower in it than, lets say, a W-Body Impala of the same vintage. Like my 2005 Impala SS for instance.  And seeing that this is a CUV type world, sitting low while having high CUVs around you gets frustrating real quick if you aint into that sorta thing. 

She won't appreciate it for what it is... a good, reliable, solid car that will get her where she needs to go.  It's no longer a cool car and wasn't anytime during her adult life. It's not an SUV and it doesn't have AWD, things that are desirable especially in Reg's part of the world.   In the end, the car will simply keep going and she'll want something newer (SUV, with AWD, and "cooler"), but with no good reason to get rid of the GP it will make the justification hard and she'll end up resenting it.  Eventually it will get traded for a used but fairly new Honda CR-V or Chevy Equinox with AWD.... a "good" car.

For now, she'll be happy to have some wheels once it is fixed up. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

I was projecting my biases towards the Grand Prix over the other W-Bodies with that post. 

In 2005, when I traded in my Alero for the Impala because I needed a more comfortable family car to fit my growing family in, kids and stuff, (my Alero was the coupe...4 doors were not necessarily needed but appreciated) I could no longer buy the Oldsmobile W-Body anymore as the Intrigue was no longer.  (bye bye in 2002)

The Buick Allure (the Lacrosse in Canada) was a tad old man-ish so that one was out of the question immediately.

So that left the Pontiac and the Chevy.

Yes...I did indeed want a W-Body. I did want the supercharged 3.8.    Had the Intrigue been available (new), Id would want the Shortstar and seeing that Oldsmobiles were sporty and luxury, but more luxury than sporty, and seeing that I was an Oldsmobile guy, the Intrigue and Oldsmobile as a brand fit beautifully in my image. But alas, Pontiac or Chevy was the only 2 W-Bodies that I could see myself driving. (Not the Allure...)

The Grand Prix...I preferred the original launch of that generation. Exterior and interior. But the refresh was welcomed by me so that was a moot point.  

The Impala (2005)...I LOVED the exterior styling over that generation Grand Prix (2005),  but that wasnt the reason why I chose the Impala over the Grand Prix.  It really was what I wrote above.

I knew the red interior lighting would eventually wear me down. 

Both Chevy and the Pontiac had cheap plastic interiors, none of which bothered me then, nor now, but, I knew that BECAUSE that console was angled for the driver's benefit, I felt claustrophobic in it.   The Alero and Intrigue were like that too, but it was more subtle. The Grand Prix's center console was also very clunky.  The  Intrigue's center console was more "luxurious" if you will as well.  The materials used in Oldsmobiles at that time were better than the other GM brands save for Cadillac. Id say, Oldsmobile was very close to Cadillac in that time, being the late 1990s all the way to Olds' death.   On a side note, I feel very claustrophobic in my Acura  today.  Clunky console and interior as well...

I preferred the openness of the Impala's interior...

And lastly, I seem to recollect that you sit down low in the Grand Prix as compared to the Impala, and I preferred a more higher seating position.  

THAT is why I would have  bought the Intrigue instead had the Intrigue been around in 2005 when I bought the Impala...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 4

On 12/1/2019 at 8:34 PM, regfootball said:

Grandpa giving us 2008 Grand Prix for our daughter to drive....wish there was more cladding!

E6F4AC5E-F40A-4AF1-AA18-FDC4CD5C5A8B.jpeg

0792ABC3-14D5-406C-92DB-35A35030A18E.jpeg

Those have always been pretty solid cars Reg. My wife had an ‘03 Grand Am and as much flak as those cars caught, it never broke down and she always liked it. After 11 years of it, she finally sold it and got an ‘08 HHR. That only lasted for a little over three years before she bought her current ride (too many electrical gremlins with it even though it ran like a tank). Congrats. Free is always good. It will make a good first car for your daughter. Tell her to keep track of those oil changes though lol!

OH NO! Did I say something positive about a GM car with a fair analysis? Oh my word! What is this world coming to? (Sarcasm for the sarcasm challenged)

Edited by Drew Dowdell

On 12/1/2019 at 8:55 PM, regfootball said:

no ABS light comes on, and the build sheet i requested from GM does not show it equipped as such.

J65-power front and rear disc brakes,

also no ONStar.......

it has fleet code in the build sheet.

Very odd it lacking ABS. Even my wife’s ‘03 GA had that. No love loss on though IMO. Her ABS would get a little flaky at times so maybe that’s a good thing here. 

4 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I was projecting my biases towards the Grand Prix over the other W-Bodies with that post. 

In 2005, when I traded in my Alero for the Impala because I needed a more comfortable family car to fit my growing family in, kids and stuff, (my Alero was the coupe...4 doors were not necessarily needed but appreciated) I could no longer buy the Oldsmobile W-Body anymore as the Intrigue was no longer.  (bye bye in 2002)

The Buick Allure (the Lacrosse in Canada) was a tad old man-ish so that one was out of the question immediately.

So that left the Pontiac and the Chevy.

Yes...I did indeed want a W-Body. I did want the supercharged 3.8.    Had the Intrigue been available (new), Id would want the Shortstar and seeing that Oldsmobiles were sporty and luxury, but more luxury than sporty, and seeing that I was an Oldsmobile guy, the Intrigue and Oldsmobile as a brand fit beautifully in my image. But alas, Pontiac or Chevy was the only 2 W-Bodies that I could see myself driving. (Not the Allure...)

The Grand Prix...I preferred the original launch of that generation. Exterior and interior. But the refresh was welcomed by me so that was a moot point.  

The Impala (2005)...I LOVED the exterior styling over that generation Grand Prix (2005),  but that wasnt the reason why I chose the Impala over the Grand Prix.  It really was what I wrote above.

I knew the red interior lighting would eventually wear me down. 

Both Chevy and the Pontiac had cheap plastic interiors, none of which bothered me then, nor now, but, I knew that BECAUSE that console was angled for the driver's benefit, I felt claustrophobic in it.   The Alero and Intrigue were like that too, but it was more subtle. The Grand Prix's center console was also very clunky.  The  Intrigue's center console was more "luxurious" if you will as well.  The materials used in Oldsmobiles at that time were better than the other GM brands save for Cadillac. Id say, Oldsmobile was very close to Cadillac in that time, being the late 1990s all the way to Olds' death.   On a side note, I feel very claustrophobic in my Acura  today.  Clunky console and interior as well...

I preferred the openness of the Impala's interior...

And lastly, I seem to recollect that you sit down low in the Grand Prix as compared to the Impala, and I preferred a more higher seating position.  

THAT is why I would have  bought the Intrigue instead had the Intrigue been around in 2005 when I bought the Impala...

Personally I always like this gen. of the Bonneville. Came real close to buying an ‘05 years ago but the guy sold it before I could get it. They have been harder to find because their sales tailed off hard during their last years. Oh well. 

C33E01E3-8A04-4068-AA1E-BC801B9711FE.jpeg

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

She won't appreciate it for what it is... a good, reliable, solid car that will get her where she needs to go.  It's no longer a cool car and wasn't anytime during her adult life. It's not an SUV and it doesn't have AWD, things that are desirable especially in Reg's part of the world.   In the end, the car will simply keep going and she'll want something newer (SUV, with AWD, and "cooler"), but with no good reason to get rid of the GP it will make the justification hard and she'll end up resenting it.  Eventually it will get traded for a used but fairly new Honda CR-V or Chevy Equinox with AWD.... a "good" car.

Left to my own devices if this car wasn’t gifted I would have tried to find a cheap Verano or 2011ish vintage Regal for her.  Or maybe even an Encore or Fusion. the 13 -15 era Malibu also.  Maybe a captiva or aura or astra  also was on my mind   I think the verano would have been the coolest option  once she grads high school maybe a current style Cruze hatch too  

But your point is true. The CUV is more chic.  Although I think she is a bit against the grain. I really think the verano would be the best ride if the price was right.  

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Left to my own devices if this car wasn’t gifted I would have tried to find a cheap Verano or 2011ish vintage Regal for her.  Or maybe even an Encore or Fusion. the 13 -15 era Malibu also.  Maybe a captiva or aura or astra  also was on my mind   I think the verano would have been the coolest option  once she grads high school maybe a current style Cruze hatch too  

But your point is true. The CUV is more chic.  Although I think she is a bit against the grain. I really think the verano would be the best ride if the price was right.  

The Verano is also a good starter car while still looking “new” today. Drove a couple of those and I know it’s a reskinned Cruze but it drove so much better and it is naturally more comfortable on my back with the better seats. The Cruze seats felt a little too firm and flat for my taste but the Verano was about right. Only thing I didn’t care for was the space (in regards to width) but that is going to happen when one has driven a full size for so many years (and why current runabout is even worse in that regard lol). 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

The Verano is also a good starter car while still looking “new” today. Drove a couple of those and I know it’s a reskinned Cruze but it drive so much better and it is naturally more comfortable on my back. The Cruze seats felt a little too firm and flat for my taste but the Verano was about right. 

Verano equals turbo free motor.  And the style is cool enough for teens I think despite being a Buick.  Nice size car for a teen.  

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

What is this, a Mary Tyler Moore episode?  ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

So what you're saying is... reg's daughter would rather have a 6 cylinder 1970 Mustang?

3 hours ago, regfootball said:

Verano equals turbo free motor.

Better watch she doesn't slip one past ya, Pops!

index.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1