Do you like where you live...

OK, so yeah i'm bored :P , but anyway do you like where you currently live? If not, where would you perfer to move too?

Me personally I love living in Fort Worth, however with the way its expanding rapidily I think a place out in the country, but close to the city would be nice for the future.

I like our little community (West Laurel), but once you go outside of it, the DC-Baltimore area gets unappealing really fast.

Charleston SC is my favorite city south of the Mason-Dixon line. Beautiful city, nice people, not a lot of traffic, lots of stuff to do and places to see. What more could you ask for? The Harrisburg PA area is nice too, so is MD's Eastern Shore.

I love where I live. It is nice and not to big even though it is expanding. We are about half an hour north of the GTA and we are about an hour south of most cottage country. Here is the website Orangeville, Ontario. We also have a lot of people moving here from New York, Michigan, and even some from Texas.

Like all places the Communist State of Taxachusetts

has it's pros and cons. I hate the red tape and

bureaucracy but I like the fall and history of many of

the towns, Salem with it's Witch Trials, Plymouth with

its Pilgrims and Boston with it's architecture & old

relics like the "H.M.S. Beaver". Then there's the roots

of our Counrty's existence like the Revolutionary War

battlefields in Lexington & 350+ year old cemeteries

in towns like Concord. There's a cemetery in that

town that reads like an index in a history textbook &

literary who's-who.

The weather here also SUX. 70% of the time we have

either rain, unbearable heat, snow, sleet or some

apocalyptic combo. of a few of those in one day.

Heh... I like Brookville, except for the fact that it is away from everything. There is nothing in town. You must travel to other towns for anything beyond basic groceries. Job and school opportunities are extremely limited in the general area as well. Also, the people who live here suck. Too conservative for me to enjoy anything. I hate the cold, too. So... I doubt I'll stay here. As ironic as this may seem, I'll probably end up in California. But I still love PA, so somewhere less rural here is a possibility.

Vancouver's awesome. It's the only place I know of that I can go skiing in Whistler or hit the beach on the same day.

Sad thing is, it's mighty expensive to live here. The average house can start at about $1 Million Canadian, and will often go higher.

That being said, I expect to stay here my whole life, just because it's such a great place.

Bellevue, WA... Yes, I like where I live.

I could see moving to Vancouver or Portland though.

Even though I love Dallas, I haven't convinced myself to consider moving back anytime soon. Visiting every year is sufficient.

I'm not really a big fan of Long Island. I could see how it used to be one of the most desirable places to live, but it's not anymore. The main reason: they should have stopped people from moving there back in the 80s. Now, there's too much traffic and the land is too overdeveloped with no room for new roads or a better mass-transit infrastructure. Prices are ridiculously high for housing, and the cable and electric companies have every LIer by the balls and charge accordingly. To make a long story short, I'm 27 years old, make a pretty decent salary as a computer progrmmer, yet getting a house is still not doable financially. It's getting to the point where I need to leave here, even if I liked it, to be able to be self sufficient.

The Phoenix metro area is my first choice, since my parents have land in Gold Canyon and will go there when they retire. I know it's another real-estate hotbed, but I like the weather and the social climate. I really feel I'm a southwesterner at heart. San Diego is a very close second. I'll probably be checking out San Antonio this summer for my vacation. I've always been intrigued by Texas.

I don't like anything about Michigan's weather at all.. it rains, sleets, snows, or hails 10 months a year. The other two months there are random tornados (albeit not like Oklahoma or anything) and/or extreme heat/humidity. Michigan goes from one extreme to the other.

On the contrary, I'd love to move to NC or SC along the coast.

The weather here also SUX. 70% of the time we have

either rain, unbearable heat, snow, sleet or some

apocalyptic combo. of a few of those in one day.

hahah i know how ya feel... northern NJ is just as bad

i like it here... i really do... i dunno why but i seem to be the kind of person who prefers a cold breezy day to a warm sunny one on the beach but the area wher ei live in bergen county is very congested and industrialized... i could see myself living here (altho itd take a while... houses are expensive as hell here) but even farther north than where i am... towns up there are much less congested... spread out and almost in the woods... i love that kind of thing...

if i cant afford anything here... i can see myself winding up in ohio or somewhere near it... since thats where im goin to college... but again in some kind of spread out community with alot of trees

I miss the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Easton is a small town, but still close to urban attractions and ocean beaches. A perfect compromise, imo. I moved back here (born here) to be closer to family. Funny thing is, I feel more distant from them now that we're in each other's grilles. It's gotta be the gay thing, and it's my problem, not theirs.

Lancaster County has some beautiful scenery. Lancaster's not a bad town, I guess, it's got its share of problems like any other town its size. If I stay here, I'd like to live a bit further out in the country (I am not in the city, but a development on the southern end of town) for privacy. For example, right now, my Latino neighbors are having a pool party, playing their Latin music and hollering. It's not like that every night, most nights it's quiet, but when they do party, it is a PITA. My neighbors in the other half of the duplex are like mice... I never hear them.

Edited by ocnblu

I love Pennsylvania. Harrisburg area, York, Camp Hill, anywhere in southern central PA along the I-83 corridor is nice. I went up to Lancaster in 6th grade to see the Amish. What I saw of it was nice, and it's a good thing that my mom and I knew our way around up there, (she was born up there, we go up there to see her brother & kin in Summerdale) because the bus driver was going right through Lancaster on US 30 towards Chambersburg and Gettysburg. I could see myself living there (cheaper than anywhere in MD east of Frederick). Just a nice place.

Eastern Shore's getting nicer everytime we go there. Delaware's great too-no sales tax, traffic is nowhere as bad as Balto-DC, and it's close to Ocean City, too.

I dread when I gotta go to Dallas. Not that it's really far, but the people there are usually very bad drivers and rude. Only time I go is when concerts don't come to Fort Worth as well or too see a game.

Dallas isn't bad... neither is Ft Worth. I've attended events at Will Rogers & Ft Worth Convention centers, Kimbell Art Museum, & Bass Hall. They're all very nice venues.

As for Dallas... American Airlines Center & Nasher Sculpture Center both opened since I've moved so I haven't checked them out yet. I'm looking forward to Dallas completing their Arts District renovations (Dallas Center) which will include a new Opera House and Theatre. The Meyerson will be incorporated into "Dallas Center."

I don't know how much has changed since this article... but there are a couple of artist drawings here in this article:

http://www.dallasperformingarts.org/images...CPA_DCPAF_1.jpg

http://www.dallasperformingarts.org/images...istrict_alt.jpg

My friends and family in Dallas try to keep me up to date as much as possible. Believe it or not, but I still take 'D Magazine' & 'Texas Monthly.' Home grown roots die hard. :)

Please, then, tell me what there is to do!  Indianapolis is chock full of chain restaurants, chain stores, etc...it is just so generic.

Sounds a lot like Upstate New York, Albany area and such.

Illinois is OK.

But, I've always liked the Nashville/Jackson TN areas....

*sighs*

Better yet, I'd rather just travel 365/24/7..........

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"What I really need is an open road" ... Montgomery Gentry ... 'Speed'

I live between Appleton and Green Bay Wisconsin. The weather is very changable but overall I cant complain. The crime rate isnt really high and we have what we need in Appleton as far as what stores we need. I have a good restauraunt and a gas station right across the street from me. Also a laundromat,carwash and a park. I lioke the area though in Tennessee by the Chatonooga area. Wouldnt mind spending more time down there. only thing is the summers get damn hot. It gets warm enough here. Winter here doesnt bother me. I am one of those weird people that likes it cool rather than hot.

When I lived up north in Wisconsin we and the exwife went trough that area a couple times. We lived on the Mole Lake indian reservation. God I hated the winters, except for taking her step-dads ATV around in the snow. :ohyeah:

Edited by deftonesfan867

Dallas isn't bad... neither is Ft Worth. I've attended events at Will Rogers & Ft Worth Convention centers, Kimbell Art Museum, & Bass Hall. They're all very nice venues.

As for Dallas... American Airlines Center & Nasher Sculpture Center both opened since I've moved so I haven't checked them out yet. I'm looking forward to Dallas completing their Arts District renovations (Dallas Center) which will include a new Opera House and Theatre. The Meyerson will be incorporated into "Dallas Center."

I don't know how much has changed since this article... but there are a couple of artist drawings here in this article:

My friends and family in Dallas try to keep me up to date as much as possible. Believe it or not, but I still take 'D Magazine' & 'Texas Monthly.' Home grown roots die hard.  :)

Good to hear you remember your roots. :) Some things have changed in Fort Worth. Pier 1 has some new headquarters here by the trinity river and Radio Shack does as well. The Kimbell and Modern Art muesems also has some reinavations done and they look awesome.

I love TX...San Antonio has so much to do.  Houston doesn't as much, but at least it's a change in scenery.  I haven't spent much time in Dallas/Ft. Worth, but it seems alright.

Tons of stuff to do here, world class opera house, muesems, nations top zoo, texas motor speedway, lots of nightlife in both cities and the list goes on.

Westlake isn't so bad...I mean, it's a very nice area and it's also one of the safest areas to live. It is a tad on the boring side though. There isn't much to do at all around here (except leave). But it is in a fairly good location. While some would argue and say there is nothing much around here, well, they'd be kinda right. But, everything is a hop, skip, and a jump away from here. My street turns into awesome canyon roads which take you straight to the beach. You can go north and hit Santa Barbara in 30 minutes, or go South and be in The Valley in 15. My buds and I bought season passes to Six Flags Magic Mountain and have been going there in Valencia lately which is about a 30 minute drive...Just got back not too long ago actually...

So, while there isn't much to do in this town, it is in a decent, centralized location in comparison to everything else.

I love TX...San Antonio has so much to do.  Houston doesn't as much, but at least it's a change in scenery.  I haven't spent much time in Dallas/Ft. Worth, but it seems alright.

Would you mind giving me a few pointers? So far the only "definites" would be Sea World, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, and one of those "Highlights of San Antonio" guded tours. I'll also be looking for some good biking routes/trails, and probably drive down to Corpus Christi for a day. My inital plan is for July 6-12, but I'll gladly extend it.

I don't know about biking trails, but I love walking the Riverwalk in downtown...lots of good people watching and it is simultaneously secluded as well as full of life, just depending on which section you are on. The theme parks are a must. I do not believe I have been to Corpus Christi yet, so I cannot give any pointers there. As for shopping, North Star Mall is good in S.A.

Whenever I'm in S.A. it is to visit my now 100-year-old great-aunt, so I haven't been to many of the touristy things in a while...but man downtown S.A. has some good clubs judging by the music and the nightlife (again, especially by the Riverwalk) is really good. I think there's also a mall along the Riverwalk.

Oh, yea...remember the Alamo. HAHA!

Good to hear you remember your roots. :) Some things have changed in Fort Worth. Pier 1 has some new headquarters here by the trinity river and Radio Shack does as well. The Kimbell and Modern Art muesems also has some reinavations done and they look awesome.

in about 10 -15 Fort Worth will have change in dramtic fashion....The Trinity River Project (that feature a downtown lake) ,Hwy expansions etc.

Dallas could be better if that city council of theirs get they heads out of their azz

but as a whole the DFW area has a varity of entertainment options to choose from in a reason travel distance

The Phoenix metro area is  my first choice. I really feel I'm a southwesterner at heart. San Diego is a very close second. I'll probably be checking out San Antonio this summer for my vacation. I've always been intrigued by Texas.

I'm laughing. Big contrast. Phoenix: bone dry. San Antonio: humid. Either way, they are warmer.

I'm also laughing because I'm a Northeasterner at heart, even though we barely lived there one year. A co-worker from L.I. keeps telling me I remind him of all the Italians he left behind on "the Island" -- impatient, talks fast and complains a lot.

My answer to the question: NO, I don't like where I live. I am only sticking around to finish an evening Masters to be completed in May 2007. 11 months to go. I am currently in ATL and was in FLL last week - in addition to vacationing, I am here to see if I want to move back. The reason: housing. It's a tough decision. South Florida: proximity to water, more of a Calif. "look," very multicultural, but flat as a pancake. Atlanta: gorgeous vegetation, has become a "world class" city, love those brick homes but a little far from water.

I will relocate. I just have to figure it out.

in about 10 -15 Fort Worth will have change in dramtic fashion....The Trinity River Project (that feature a downtown lake) ,Hwy expansions etc.

Dallas could be better if that city council of theirs get they heads out of their azz

but as a whole the DFW area has a varity of entertainment options to choose from in a reason travel distance

Seemed like for years Dallas was concerned more about money vs. having a great looking city. And it's still like that to an extent, heck my mom told me the Fort Worth city council FORCED a newly built Wal-Mart marketplace to replant trees they had brought down plus make the landscaping better than previous efforts. Hence no big blocky parking lot. :thumbsup:

Yes and no.

It's a nice middle-class suburb of Philadelphia with low crime, good schools and, for the most part, friendly people. I would definately love to have my kids grow up here and attend the same schools I did. We get all four seasons and everything is close by, shopping and doctors, etc.

On the downside, a few minutes away are the more lower class areas of the county and Trenton, New Jersey (right across the Delaware River), which is a crime and gang infested city and no one does anything about it. Now the gangs are starting to recruit and act out in my area, normally the lower class areas. People from New Jersey also attend the schools illegally since they are a lot better than what is found over there by Trenton. There is also a lot of traffic and basic suburban sprawl.

I got back from visiting my aunt and uncle in Florida who retired by Orlando. They live in an over 55 community. So quiet and peaceful, low crime, etc. but it's not totally built up yet so you have to drive far distances to go food shopping, etc. Way too hot for me, also.

I like Montgomery. Its growing fairly well and there are things to do if you like the outdoors. Two good malls if you're a shopping fart, but still a TON of wooded areas where you can more or less just go and get lost in the trees. There's also the Alabama River, which runs right through the city so if you like skiing, wakeboarding, tubing, or fishing you don't have to go far to do it. The beaches are about 3 hours away plus the attractions I really like (the USS Alabama and USS Drum). Traffic isn't too horrible, and for the most part the people are nice.

I like living in Dundee, but the majority of Oregon is just too liberal for me. The weather here is depressing (too much rain), most people drive crap for cars and are all to willing to put down American cars, the homes are over priced, the traffic is terrible for being such a small city, and on and on.

If my wife was up to it, I would move some where else like Simi Valley, CA (though we would have to have a crap load of money to pay for a home) or Castle Rock, CO (we could get 1000 more square feet of ne home and have money left over).

I like living in Dundee, but the majority of Oregon is just too liberal for me. 

or Castle Rock, CO (we could get 1000 more square feet of ne home and have money left over).

Is suburban Denver that much cheaper than PDX? The only issue I have is that it's too far from water.

I like where I live. I can walk to two chain grocery stores, the Beverly Center, the shopping drag of BH and Robertson and the bars and clubs of West Hollywood (although I am a little old for them at this point). I have convenient busses to get to work, since work pays for the bus pass, but charges for parking, and several convenient busses to get to the beach if I want to.

As a matter of fact, with gas so high, I now am having to make a point to take the car out and drive it I don't run down the battery.

(aside) this is what bugs me about some of the holier-than-thou types that drive hybrids in WLA. They'll drive all over the place in their Prius', giving 'tude to people in SUV's, yet god forbid they have to walk anywhere, take the bus or ride a bike. I want to print up bumper stickers that read "I'm a better person than you because my Hybrid rapes the environment incrementally less than your Hummer" and slap them on their bumpers in the middle of the night.....

Vancouver's awesome. It's the only place I know of that I can go skiing in Whistler or hit the beach on the same day.

Sad thing is, it's mighty expensive to live here. The average house can start at about $1 Million Canadian, and will often go higher.

That being said, I expect to stay here my whole life, just because it's such a great place.

I can go skiing in the winter AND go to the beach the same day too......

My friends and family in Dallas try to keep me up to date as much as possible. Believe it or not, but I still take 'D Magazine' & 'Texas Monthly.' Home grown roots die hard.  :)

I'm from Dallas originally.

Last time I was there (a year ago or so) I was SHOCKED how dead Dallas was from a nightlife and things-to-do standpoint.

I moved away when I was 18.....and back then (18 years ago) it seemed like it was way more happening.

Deep Ellum has turned into a trashy area when it used to be eclectic and trendy. The West End was DEAD. There were still some good restaurants and a decent happy-hour crowd in Lower Greeville Avenue....but that was about it.

Downtown Fort Worth seemed to have ten times the nightlife and culture now....

Kinda sad for me actually......being from there and all......

Well, it's no secret that I LOVE living in Southern California.

Every day I wake up, it seems like I'm living in paradise...!

8)

There really is no better place to live if you are an auto enthusiast. The sheer number of cars roaming the freeways of the Southland range from THE most exotic of supercars to THE most beautifully-restored old classics and hot rods. You also can't believe the number of auto-related activities that go on throughout the year.

I live in south Orange County in the city of Aliso Viejo. We are three miles from the beach (Laguna Beach), 10 mins from Newport Beach, 15 minutes to John Wayne/OC airport, and about 45 minutes south of downtown L.A. AV is about an hour south of West Hollywood and Beverly Hills, and an hour north of downtown San Diego.

Aliso Viejo is a cookie-cutter, master-planned community that only became a city a few years ago. However, AV avoids alot of the negatives of a "cookie cutter" community with an absolutely gorgeous setting on the backside of the hills and mountains that form the city of Laguna Beach. That setting also gives us that live in AV stunning views of south Orange County and Saddleback mountain in the distance from just about any part of the city you are in. Also, over 51% of the land area of the city of Aliso Viejo is dedicated to park lands with alot of that prime hiking and biking areas on the mountains and in the valleys separating AV and Laguna.

Nightlife for those of us that live here is in abundance thanks to our close proximity to the coast and the assorted beach cities. What's also nice is that the AV Towne Center (a modern type of "downtown") has lots of bars and restaurants, shops, theatres, and even a grassy, hilly area that is like an amphitheatre where in the summers, people camp out on the hill and listen to concerts.

Also adding to the attractiveness is the lush landscaping and greenery around the city thanks to numerous palm trees and tropical shrubs, flowers, and bushes. AV really goes out of their way to make sure the city is clean, attractive, and beautiful.

Thanks to a significant number of younger singles and couples, AV takes on a bit more of a "trendy" feel compared to most "cookie cutter" suburbs.

The weather? As fantastic as everyone says it is. There is next to no humidity, and because we are only a few miles from the coast, we never get too hot. AND, thanks to being on the backside of the hills that form Laguna, when the beach gets socked in by "marine layer" we are usually warm and sunny because the very hills that AV sets on stops the marine layer from coming over to us.

That weather also means.....almost no bugs. This is one of the things people in other parts of the country don't realize. No one here really has screens on their patio doors. Everyone leaves their A/C off and their doors open because there's next to no flys, mosquitoes, or any other sort of pests.

The one big negative I see is cost of housing. In AV, a simple two-bedroom condo will run you around $500K. One-bedroom apartments rent for $1,500-and-up. I'm fortunate because I've lived in CA for nine years now and am in my fifth house....being able to utilize equity to move up throughout the years. It's true that if I was JUST NOW moving to my city, I could never afford the house I live in now.

The BIG "IF" is if you can afford to live here without "slumming" it, there really is no better place to live IMHO.

Edited by The O.C.