Vaccine discussion

The counts are going to be inaccurate because of the different sources and they way they count.  This isn't like ballots, with a controlled population/sample size.  But I do believe that the unvaccinated are more likely to be hospitalized ... and to be in ICU.

With all the changing viral forms, breakthrough infections are going to be more of a problem.  Just from glancing at my homepage, it looks like obnoxious Jimmy Fallon and Whoopi have contracted it, and they're vaccinated.

The thing that bugs me is medical people who do not want to get the vaccine.  I know one person like that ... a nurse who says, "I don't trust it."  A lot of medical people have training and education, but, sometimes, it's "STEM lite" and doesn't go as far as where some people's education goes.  They may have not taken classes in bacteriology and virology nor in statistics, yet they are still so damn sure of themselves.  Then there are the people who don't have good education (or any), yet they have an even more forceful "telling" conversational style when it comes to health matters, politics, and financial matters, as opposed to stating that these are opinions or how they feel about things.

Most people have done a lot of housecleaning with their friends and relatives during the last 2 to 5 years.  It's something that sometimes needs to be done.

• Agree 4

14 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

The counts are going to be inaccurate because of the different sources and they way they count.  This isn't like ballots, with a controlled population/sample size.  But I do believe that the unvaccinated are more likely to be hospitalized ... and to be in ICU.

With all the changing viral forms, breakthrough infections are going to be more of a problem.  Just from glancing at my homepage, it looks like obnoxious Jimmy Fallon and Whoopi have contracted it, and they're vaccinated.

The thing that bugs me is medical people who do not want to get the vaccine.  I know one person like that ... a nurse who says, "I don't trust it."  A lot of medical people have training and education, but, sometimes, it's "STEM lite" and doesn't go as far as where some people's education goes.  They may have not taken classes in bacteriology and virology nor in statistics, yet they are still so damn sure of themselves.  Then there are the people who don't have good education (or any), yet they have an even more forceful "telling" conversational style when it comes to health matters, politics, and financial matters, as opposed to stating that these are opinions or how they feel about things.

Most people have done a lot of housecleaning with their friends and relatives during the last 2 to 5 years.  It's something that sometimes needs to be done.

Interesting question that I asked my Sister and her partner was of the roughly 30% unvaccinated medical folks at Evergreen Hospital, how many are actual Doctors / Nurses and how many are support folks? These are those that only require a 2yr degree or certificate to assist nurses / Doctors.

Not Surprising answer was that 88% of the people were of the 2yr / Certificate certified programs. The few Doctors that were on the list were all very conservative doctors, most near retirement or could have retired and are not ready to accept the data yet. Nurses were 100% vaccinated at the hospital.

I also just got notified that the Cardiologist who 5 generations of my family has seen and knows our family history in deep detail has decided to retire early rather than deal with the vaccine and hospital mandates as the Hospital has given all unvaccinated employees till the end of March to get vaccinated or lose their job. Evergreen Hospital is on a massive hiring but with a very clear mandate, MUST BE VACCINATED.

• Agree 3

On 1/11/2022 at 5:02 PM, balthazar said:

^ Different sources report significantly different numbers, which is to be expected. 

What I wonder is; are people admitted to hospitals for other medical/surgical reasons, are automatically tested for COVID and found to be positive... are those people counted towards 'COVID hospitalizations' when they weren't admitted for such?

Most hospitals have shifted to ER care only. They aren't doing surgeries for those who can wait.  And in fact even heart attack patients have no place to go because the hospitals are overwhelmed with covid. 

That said, it is more likely that there is underreporting than over reporting.  Many people are doing at home tests and those frequently don't show up in the reported numbers unless that person goes and gets PCR test. 

And sadly, one year after my first vaccine, it seems as though I finally got it. I'm pushing a 101.9 fever that started today. Thankfully no respiratory issues at all so far, just drastically uncomfortable.  I was masked everywhere in public and got my booster right after Thanksgiving.  The Omicron variant is as contagious as measles. Thankfully, once I pull through I'll be super immune for a while. 

One additional thing. They are able to measure how widespread the infection rate is by monitoring sewage.  A few large cities on the east coast are already seeing a dramatic drop in the sewage infection data and Europe is about 2 weeks ahead on that. 

This just could be the last big wave we have for a while because it is burning through so many people so fast, including the vaccinated. 

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

it seems as though I finally got it.

Are you sure its Covid and not the flu.  Did you get tested? 

Im assuming you did test positive for you to say you got Covid, its just the wording you chose, "it seems", leaves it ambiguous.

Hoping  you get on your feet fast and yeah, you will be super immune. That is the good news!!! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Are you sure its Covid and not the flu.  Did you get tested? 

Im assuming you did test positive for you to say you got Covid, its just the wording you chose, "it seems", leaves it ambiguous.

Hoping  you get on your feet fast and yeah, you will be super immune. That is the good news!!! 

Today is my first day of symptoms, so it's too early to show up in a Rapid test. I did get PCRed today too, but won't have those results for a few days. If I don't have a PCR result by tomorrow late afternoon, I'll do another rapid. 

It could be the flu I suppose. I've been vaccinated for both, but the Flu vaccine isn't very effective against this year's variant. 

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Today is my first day of symptoms, so it's too early to show up in a Rapid test. I did get PCRed today too, but won't have those results for a few days. If I don't have a PCR result by tomorrow late afternoon, I'll do another rapid. 

It could be the flu I suppose. I've been vaccinated for both, but the Flu vaccine isn't very effective against this year's variant. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Flu or Covid is no fun. Hopefully Flu more than Covid. 

Found out my Niece and her husband are part of the we do not believe this is real, unvaccinated crowd. My wife was wanting to go down and see the boys, but when she called our Niece said she has been sick since Jan 1st. Hard to breath, and all the rest of the symptoms. I asked her if she has been tested and that is when I found out about her views including God will take care of her.

At this point, wife chose to not go and see them even when Jess said come on down and we will wear masks. Sadly, she is barely High School educated. She was very healthy as she teaches mixed martial arts, but I suspect she has covid and at this point is winded just walking up stairs to her bedroom according to her.

Sick is no fun, take care Drew. Wishing you a healthy recovery and I hope you spouse does not get it. Let us know how it goes and what your test results are.  Sending positive thoughts your way for a speedy recover my friend.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On Friday, I had the sniffles and a scratchy throat, and I feared the worst. But nothing came of it.  During winter, every winter, I always seem to get the sniffles and a scratchy throat for a couple of days sometime during the season, so I didnt panic.  These sniffles and the throat thing only lasted not even for a full day.  I didnt push the panic button to cancel my rendez-vous for the booster and thank-fully my wife and I are good for now.  Until we need a 4rth.    But the word on the street is that once the Omicron wave subsides, the pandemic will be on its start of it winding down.    

18 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

A few large cities on the east coast are already seeing a dramatic drop in the sewage infection data and Europe is about 2 weeks ahead on that. This just could be the last big wave we have for a while because it is burning through so many people so fast, including the vaccinated. 

Yeah!   Like that! 

But hopefully NOT what @David has proved what @balthazar  responded to me.   :( 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I've never taken a COVID test nor have I been vaccinated...

Seinfeld Whatever GIF by MOODMAN

There are two new vaccines working through the FDA that could be palatable to you if the mRNA version makes you squeamish.   One is from Novavax and uses the traditional method of vaccination in that they were able to take a bunch of dead spike proteins from the actual virus and use that to cause your body to make antibodies. It's essentially the same style as the flu vaccine. It has lower effectiveness than the mRNA vaccines and it would probably require regular boosters until we're out of this. 

The other was developed by Walter Reed hospital and is supposed to be a universal Corona virus vaccine because it will work on any current or future Covid variants as well as being effective against the corona virus versions that just cause the common cold.  I do not know the technology behind this one.

But I'm on day two now even though I'm triple vaxxed. My only symptoms are fever (bad) and now a swollen and slightly sore throat.  If this is Covid, I'm sure it would be much worse. 

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, David said:

Out of Curiosity why have you chosen to not be vaccinated?

With my age, weight, fitness level, I don't feel like it will benefit me anymore than when I finally get it (if I haven't already come across it and been asymptomatic). Natural immunity.

I wear my mask wherever asks me to, I don't throw a fit. It isn't a big deal to just abide by private business' requests. It's way easier to just wear a mask than throw a fit. I don't even really complain about wearing one. I obviously don't love to, nobody does, but it is far from a big deal to me. 

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

[prepare to be judged… ]

Oh I know. It isn't a big deal to me though. 

• Thanks 1

The only way you have natural immunity is if you've had it and recovered or were asymptomatic. Outside of that, you're relying more on herd immunity. 

But you might just luck out because this current wave is going through so many so quickly, if you can avoid getting it in the next 3 - 6 weeks (the waves are regional) you might just skirt by home free. 

14 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Just in time for the next strain.
Welcome to the new normal.

Exactly. 

25 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The only way you have natural immunity is if you've had it and recovered or were asymptomatic. Outside of that, you're relying more on herd immunity. 

But you might just luck out because this current wave is going through so many so quickly, if you can avoid getting it in the next 3 - 6 weeks (the waves are regional) you might just skirt by home free. 

Yes, I very much expect to get it, if I haven't already been asymptomatic sometime within the last two years. 

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Just in time for the next strain.
Welcome to the new normal.

well... yes and no.  I am no virologist but I expect this wave to be the last major wave for a while. We're all achieving herd immunity one way or another; either with vaccination or with the unvaccinated catching Omicron. Having it burn through so many people at once reduces the possibility of mass infection in the next wave.  As such, even if the next variant is as contagious as Omicron, it won't get spread around since so many will already be immune from either that recent infection or the vaccine.  Omicron really could be one of the last gasps of Covid-19.  

• Agree 1

I've got my Pfizer double dose + booster.. been staying close to home, avoiding going out in public, and masking (N95) when I have to be around other people.  No idea when I'll go back in the office or eat in a restaurant or go to a concert.  Not anytime soon.  

Have felt the last week like I have a cold, but no fever or cough.  I always seem to get a cold in January. I used to get sinus infections annually.

Just looking forward to March and getting through winter (been a mild winter so far, by NE Ohio standards)...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I've got my Pfizer double dose + booster.. been staying close to home, avoiding going out in public, and masking (N95) when I have to be around other people.  No idea when I'll go back in the office or eat in a restaurant or go to a concert.  Not anytime soon.  

Have felt the last week like I have a cold, but no fever or cough.  I always seem to get a cold in January. I used to get sinus infections annually.

Just looking forward to March and getting through winter (been a mild winter so far, by NE Ohio standards)...

Well now you jinxed it. We're supposed to get a big snow storm next week

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Sorry. It's been so mild here...had only a light dusting of snow 3 times, nothing that stuck for long.  Lots of rain and wind, and not too cold so far...

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

With my age, weight, fitness level, I don't feel like it will benefit me anymore than when I finally get it

I hope that you will never get it.  I hope that you never got it.  Its a nasty thing for some people.

Which is what I wanna say:

Has NOTHING to do with your age, fitness level for it to be a nasty thing. And nasty being for mild cases. Downright deadly for some...

You could be a 95 year old, smoking 5 cigarette packs a day while welcoming shots of whiskey when not smoking and be asymptomatic and you could be a 25 year old decathlon athlete and die from it...

I aint judging you by telling you this. I aint telling you to get vaccinated by telling you this. Im just making sure that you understand the rules of Covid more clearly.  Because there IS a misconception about Covid. To this day. 2 years after.  Especially when Delta is still around...     

You could be a 95 year old, smoking 5 cigarette packs a day while welcoming shots of whiskey when not smoking and be asymptomatic and you could be a 25 year old decathlon athlete and die from it...

Yes, there are anomalies but the vast majority of both of those go in the opposite direction. 

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

With my age, weight, fitness level, I don't feel like it will benefit me anymore than when I finally get it (if I haven't already come across it and been asymptomatic). Natural immunity.

I wear my mask wherever asks me to, I don't throw a fit. It isn't a big deal to just abide by private business' requests. It's way easier to just wear a mask than throw a fit. I don't even really complain about wearing one. I obviously don't love to, nobody does, but it is far from a big deal to me. 

Oh I know. It isn't a big deal to me though. 

So then another question, were you not vaccinated for going to school growing up?

15 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yes, there are anomalies but the vast majority of both of those go in the opposite direction. 

Im sorry to bust your bubble, but there are all kinds of young, fit, healthy folk that have had serious complications from Covid.    There IS no vast majority  when it comes to how YOUR PERSONAL interaction with Covid will be.  

But its OK.   I really dont care about all this.    Im exhausted from all this shyte we are all going through. 

I only truly care about your well being.  Even if I never met you in person for real.  I hope to God you never catch it. I hope to God NONE of us catch it.  But some of us will probably catch it. It will probably stay with us forever.  I just hope when and if we catch it, Covid-19 will be just a nuisance rather than an emergency hospital visit.  

I just wanted to point out that Covid-19 hits hard on some people and Covid-19 does NOT discriminate between young or old, fir or unfit.  Covid-19 shocks the body and its how YOUR body reacts or overreacts to course correct.  And no science or math could predict what YOUR body will react to it.

Its safe to assume the old and the unfit will be hit hard, but that is just a logical statement true for ANY disease. NOT just for Covid... 

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Pretty mild up here as well.

It was super cold 2 days ago. It will be super cold this week-end.  But par for the course THIS time of year here. 

Oh...no snow though. And THAT is NOT par for the course.   Sure, it kinda snowed yesterday and today, barely an inch in 2 days.  

I really dont know why I dont spring for a V8 Challenger....  

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Pediatric ICU cases disagree. Our Childrens hospital here is full.

On 1/12/2022 at 7:47 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Did an online urgent care today since my Covid tests continue to come back negative and I’m having zero respiratory issues.

Doc thinks it’s strep. Started the antibiotics tonight

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im happy to hear the good news.  Strep is a hassle, and it could lead to something more severe,  but its better than the alternative!  

PCR test came back this morning. I’m negative for Covid

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im sorry to bust your bubble, but there are all kinds of young, fit, healthy folk that have had serious complications from Covid.    There IS no vast majority  when it comes to how YOUR PERSONAL interaction with Covid will be.  

Don't give me that "those are your opinions, that age doesn't matter"

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Do you have statistical proof that 25 year olds athletes are dying while 95 year old smokers are getting it and living their best life?

Neither of those are pediatric?

Long Covid is a real thing. Yes you may survive a Covid infection but that doesn’t mean you won’t have long term complications from it. Surviving Covid and recovering from Covid are two different statistics.

My friends in Colorado who used to go hiking in the mountains and got Covid very early on still gets winded on a flight of steps.

Is a life of gasping for breath, or having random neurological problems something you can live with?

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Neither of those are pediatric?

Then why even mention that irrelevant information, saying it "disagrees"?

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Is a life of gasping for breath, or having random neurological problems something you can live with?

I'll let you know in a few years.

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Then why even mention that irrelevant information, saying it "disagrees"?

Because a childrens hospital filled with pediatric ICU Covid patients shows that the young can still have pretty severe Covid issues even if they ultimately survive. 

and I already made my point about the difference between surviving and recovering.

• Agree 1

Your body, your choice. @ccap41

It doesnt matter if one 95 year old has survived Covid and one 25 year has not.  

Hey, more power to you if you feel comfy that only 15 000 folk died from Covid aged 30-39 and folk older than than have higher numbers...

You like to play the numbers game.  Its all good. 

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'll let you know in a few years.

Problem is, you might not get to tell us if you DO catch it.  

I know. I know.   The numbers tell you otherwise...   It cant POSSIBLY happen to you...

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-area-man-who-died-of-covid-19-at-39-was-unvaccinated-but-had-just-booked-his-first-dose-1.5588192

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/after-anti-vax-sentiment-seeps-in-three-die-and-a-tight-knit-community-near-montreal-is-torn-apart-1.5679029

LAVAL, QUE. -- When COVID-19 killed a 39-year-old Laval athlete in early September, it sent a shock through his tight-knit Greek community.

Stefanos Govas was unvaccinated, and his girlfriend told media that his death had been avoidable—he’d been planning to get the shot soon anyway, she said.

But tragic as Govas’s death was, it was only one part of a bigger series of losses that took two months to play out and have torn that community apart.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/after-anti-vax-sentiment-seeps-in-three-die-and-a-tight-knit-community-near-montreal-is-torn-apart-1.5679029

https://abcnews.go.com/US/30-year-man-dies-attending-covid-party-thinking/story?id=71731414

https://www.timescolonist.com/local-news/father-urges-people-to-get-vaccinated-after-daughter-29-dies-of-covid-19-4692280

A grieving father who will bury his daughter this week is urging people to get vaccinated, warning that COVID-19 is a merciless disease

And I could do this MORE than 15 000 times...  As THAT number is ONLY US numbers.

Its only numbers until it happens to you...  Which I do NOT wish upon.

Life is too short for me to discuss this any further...

Do as you wish.   I just wanted to point out that Covid does NOT discriminate between the young or old. Fit or unfit.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 12:16 PM, trinacriabob said:

Which then brings up the question:  "WTF was all that grandstanding about?"

In Quebec, the 'unvaccinated' will be taxed, will have to pay a significant amount of money because the unvaccinated are causing these latest hospital turn outs which have put a burden on our  health staff and the medical help that others need that isnt Covid related.  

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-to-table-bill-to-tax-the-unvaccinated-amid-pushback-from-opposition-parties-doctors-1.5739369

Low and behold

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/thousands-sign-up-for-1st-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine-as-quebec-threatens-to-tax-the-unvaxxed-1.5736806

More than 7,000 people registered for their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine Tuesday, amid threats by Quebec officials to tax the unvaccinated.

• Agree 1

One last link for @ccap41

Now now.  As in now. As of January 12, 2022, 4 p.m.

There are more deaths from the older groups in total because its with the older groups that got the hardest at the beginning of the pandemic.   But in Quebec, now, 85% of the older groups have been vaccinated 2 doses at least. So, in revenge, its the younger folk that havent been vaccinated that are getting hit hard, now. 

So, you can feel good about yourself about the deaths being higher for the older folk if you want to, but its not smart to ignore all other data...  

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/situation-coronavirus-in-quebec

Distribution of confirmed cases by age group

GraphTable

Age group
% of confirmed cases
0-9 years 9.5
10-19 years 12.6
20-29 years 17.7
30-39 years 15.9
40-49 years 15.3
50-59 years 12.2
60-69 years 7.2
70-79 years 4.0
80-89 years 3.5
90 years or more 2.0

Cumulative data. Source: TSP, MSSS, January 12, 2022, 4 p.m.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Problem is, you might not get to tell us if you DO catch it. 

Don't worry, I'll be sure to let you guys know when I get it and start feeling terrible. I guess I wouldn't be able to tell you after I pass but I'm Facebook friends with Drew so he can inform you. I'm sure he'd see something. 

10 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

So, you can feel good about yourself about the deaths being higher for the older folk if you want to, but its not smart to ignore all other data...  

Not ignoring it. Just because I haven't been vaccinated yet, doesn't mean I'm ignoring new and incoming information. 

30 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

More than 7,000 people registered for their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine Tuesday, amid threats by Quebec officials to tax the unvaccinated.

IMO, that is absurd you'd tax people based on a covid vaccination status. 

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Don't worry, I'll be sure to let you guys know when I get it and start feeling terrible. I guess I wouldn't be able to tell you after I pass but I'm Facebook friends with Drew so he can inform you. I'm sure he'd see something. 

Do really give a shyte.  Your body, your choice. 

I just hope to God you DONT catch it.  Might not be a walk in the park for you.  You could keep that to yourself though.   

Not ignoring it. Just because I haven't been vaccinated yet, doesn't mean I'm ignoring new and incoming information. 

Its good to hear.   Not that I gives a shyte what you do or do not do...   

Just letting it be clear.  Because:

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Don't give me that "those are your opinions, that age doesn't matter"

I dont like it when you put words in my mouth... 

Sure...

But...its a LOT more than JUST a vaccine status at stake...   

Edited by oldshurst442

41 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

You like to play the numbers game.  Its all good

We all do, everyday. 

Risk Assesment.JPG

Car Crash.JPG

Do really give a shyte.  Your body, your choice. 

Hence why I work out regularly, eat fairly healthy(certainly won't lie and say I eat perfectly), and take my regular vitamins. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Sure, we all take risks, but you still wear your seatbelt don’t you?

Coming from somebody who rides a motorcycle (I love to as well) and shown riding without a helmet. 

I don't think talking risk assessment with a motorcycle rider and has ridden w/o a helmet is really going to persuade me. 

6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

@ccap41

And its NOT just the seatbelts.

Speed limits.   Speed limits are not JUST for CAFE...

ABS brakes.  Traction control. Airbags.   All kinds of other types of crash avoidance systems...

There are some that wants us to start heading in an autonomous driving  world...

But let me tell YOU about numbers since you are such the poker player.

FROM the CDC.  The SAME link you were PROUDLY fond of showing ME how insignificant 15 000 deaths are for Covid for ages between 30-39...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html

Curious as to why these low numbers dont happen to be on your radar...

If you are going by a "chances are" type of decision:

19 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Hence why I work out regularly, eat fairly healthy(certainly won't lie and say I eat perfectly), and take my regular vitamins. 

But like I said

23 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Dont  really give a shyte.  Your body, your choice. 

23 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Not that I gives a shyte what you do or do not do...   

Just letting it be clear. 

13 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

@ccap41

And its NOT just the seatbelts.

Speed limits.   Speed limits are not JUST for CAFE...

ABS brakes.  Traction control. Airbags.   All kinds of other types of crash avoidance systems...

There are some that wants us to start heading in an autonomous driving  world...

But let me tell YOU about numbers since you are such the poker player.

FROM the CDC.  The SAME link you were PROUDLY fond of showing ME how insignificant 15 000 deaths are for Covid for ages between 30-39...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html

Curious as to why these low numbers dont happen to be on your radar...

If you are going by a "chances are" type of decision:

I'm not remotely saying I'm 100% risk adverse, because that also isn't possible.

The low numbers of issues of the vaccinated? I never said I was worried of getting some illness/having and issue from a covid vaccine. 

Like I've already said, I'm taking in information, evaluating what's out there, and making decisions. I'm not some anti-vaxxer thinking the government is out to track me (while carrying a phone that already does that). Heck, I've recently applied for a Federal job that requires me to be vaccinated. I'll get vaccinated if I get the job. It isn't a huge issue to me, like some have made it. 

I'm just glad my parents both got vaccinated over the summer as they're obviously older (mid-60's) and my dad has a form of lymphoma (in remission for a few years now). They are the pretty right wing, super pro Trump (sorry - politics), that would be the kind of anti-vaxxer that I'd be worried about. I'm just glad they got it. 

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'm not remotely saying I'm 100% risk adverse, because that also isn't possible.

The low numbers of issues of the vaccinated? I never said I was worried of getting some illness/having and issue from a covid vaccine. 

Like I've already said, I'm taking in information, evaluating what's out there, and making decisions. I'm not some anti-vaxxer thinking the government is out to track me (while carrying a phone that already does that). Heck, I've recently applied for a Federal job that requires me to be vaccinated. I'll get vaccinated if I get the job. It isn't a huge issue to me, like some have made it. 

I'm just glad my parents both got vaccinated over the summer as they're obviously older (mid-60's) and my dad has a form of lymphoma (in remission for a few years now). They are the pretty right wing, super pro Trump (sorry - politics), that would be the kind of anti-vaxxer that I'd be worried about. I'm just glad they got it. 

Id also give you an upvote on that.

Im glad that you made yourself MORE clear because whether we like it or not, we ALL judge this situation we are all in with Covid.    

Im glad you are not so blind and have made a clear cut division on vaccines.  I didnt think you were. But I did judge.  Hard not to these days. 

But it all goes back to my INTIAL post...   just wanted to make it clear that Covid does NOT discriminate between young and old. Fit or unfit.   It really is how YOUR own personal experience and how YOUR body will react to Covid that is REALITY...  

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im glad you are not so blind and have made a clear cut division on vaccines.  I didnt think you were. But I did judge.  Hard not to these days. 

Absolutely. There are just too many variables to draw such a line out of blindness and ignorance. 

Both extremes have proven to be a-holes about it and there are very few that are in the middle or even willing to have a civil discussion about it. 

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Coming from somebody who rides a motorcycle (I love to as well) and shown riding without a helmet. 

I don't think talking risk assessment with a motorcycle rider and has ridden w/o a helmet is really going to persuade me. 

Once ever, at 15 mph basically around the block of my hotel. It's not like I was on the highway with no helmet, or even up to suburban speeds. 

Edit: The picture I think you are referring to we did wear helmets, we just had them off for the picture. We put them back on even for the 100 yard ride onto the ferry.  The only time I did ride without a helmet that I described above, I didn't take a pic. 

6 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Not really, in a country with socialized healthcare where everyone pays into the system, those that refuse vaccination and are putting the biggest burden on the system should pay more.

Kind of how health care insurance here in the US if you smoke or chew tobacco have higher premiums than those that do not.

Why not have those that ignore the science to stay healthy pay to cover their health needs? Makes sense to me.

6 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

i don’t agree with the squeamishness surrounding the mRNA vaccines, but whatever, there’s the J&J vaccine too that doesn’t use the mRNA tech.

This is what I find confusing is that mRNA tech has been around for 40 years, being used to treat cancer and we have given such a better quality of life to Cancer survivors of which both my wife and I are survivors and yet people think this is to make you part of the BORG.

The science is very solid and well tested.

Crazy IMHO

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, David said:

Not really, in a country with socialized healthcare where everyone pays into the system, those that refuse vaccination and are putting the biggest burden on the system should pay more.

That's a very good point and I hadn't thought about their health care system. Yeah, that makes sense then. 

• Agree 1