Vaccine discussion

Just now, surreal1272 said:

An otherwise healthy 24 year old man needed a kidney AND lung transplant due to COVID.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/colby-vondenstein-lung-kidney-transplant-covid-171805750.html

And my boss who is 64 years old, has serious health issues got COVID couple month ago and had only light flu like symptoms for a few days and some light lasting side affects for a few months.  Different people react differently.  No doubt it is a dangerous illness but I know by now plenty of people who had it and got through it easily.  I also know few who died.  Many many years ago my dad had flu and had complications that irreversibly damaged his hearing.  I had flu few times and didn't even had high fever.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, ykX said:

And my boss who is 64 years old, has serious health issues got COVID couple month ago and had only light flu like symptoms for a few days and some light lasting side affects for a few months.  Different people react differently.  No doubt it is a dangerous illness but I know by now plenty of people who had it and got through it easily.  I also know few who died.  Many many years ago my dad had flu and had complications that irreversibly damaged his hearing.  I had flu few times and didn't even had high fever.

That was not the point at all and since it wasn’t directed at you, you are making an assumption about my intent. This was more a counter to the notion that because some folks died from the vaccine and that COVID really doesn’t affect younger people (or does), that we should just not give out a vaccine. By saying “be cautious”, you’re basically implying that they do nothing. We did that last year and it didn’t work out so well, hence the hasty need for a vaccine. 

And please refrain from comparing the flu to COVID. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

34 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

That was not the point at all and since it wasn’t directed at you

I know it wasn't directed at me. I was just commenting on your post just like you comment on other posts including mine.

35 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

And please refrain from comparing the flu to COVID.

Hmmm, I just reread my post and nowhere I see comparing flu to COVID.  My point was that different people react differently to the same illness.

Btw Drew compared Covid to common cold just few posts above.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, ykX said:

I had flu few times and didn't even had high fever.

You sure you didn’t make the comparison?

35 minutes ago, ykX said:

I know it wasn't directed at me. I was just commenting on your post just like you comment on other posts including mine.

Then you had no frame of context, hence my statement. 

36 minutes ago, ykX said:

Btw Drew compared Covid to common cold just few posts above.

Also taken out of context. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

4 hours ago, David said:

@USA-1

Valid question, not being political, just being honest one college educated man to another. 

As a college educated man, how do you not use the analytical skills we learn to assess, review and consider all points of views about science/medicine?

I accept your choice to not get vaccinated, but I do not understand how one can review the data and understand the pro's and cons. 

Were you not vaccinated as a kid growing up in Oregon like all the other school kids?

As an Engineer, I totally get the fact that we can work numbers many different ways to get various results, but if you truly believe in yourself to build the best product, then an objective review of the data allows us to see where the pro's and con's lay and why we would build one way or another.

As more data comes in a clearer picture shows up, yet with that said, today's computers allow us to run many simulations and the data has been far more accurate than we had with Polio, Mumps, Measles, etc.

Vaccination is important to the human race and allowing infections to happen where we can minimize the affects and loss of life via medicine seems to be natural to me. 

So have you reviewed the data from so many various medical sites in coming to your stated view? Which sites are you basing your view on?

I've stated it previously and I'll state it again. I am NOT against vaccines, never have been. Yes, I had the MMR, Polio and Tetanus shots with boosters when I was a child like hopefully everybody did. I also never said I wasn't going to possibly get this m-RNA shot eventually once the FDA knows more about it long term, I stated that I'm going to wait it out. That is my right as an American Citizen and the choice that I'm making. There is still a substantial risk right now with the m-RNA inoculation that I won't be taking.   

Like others have stated on here as well as myself and my medically trained/licensed family and friends, we do not know what the long term effects will be. I am pretty certain that I already had Covid last February before China told anybody about it and I am going to get tested for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies soon.

I am a very clean, responsible adult and wear a mask when indoors in public, common sense tells one it's an obvious requirement for everybody's safety. I don't want to spread disease anymore than the next normal, logical human being.

I'm not basing my reasoning and justification on just websites that you have no way of fully verifying is actually true data, like all of you. I have real world feedback from friends and family in the medial field who are front-line workers who are helping me make my decision. That's what common sense is. Someone that you know and trust in the medical field who are seeing first hand what is going on and informing you on what they believe. Just like others on this thread have stated this isn't natural medicine, this is screwing with actual science and your DNA.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

You sure you didn’t make the comparison?

Are you serious? Talk about taking out of context.

I thought this thread was called Vaccine discussion, but i guess it is only "discussion" if you agree with everyone, otherwise people are getting attacked.

• Thanks 2

Sadly, it is a tough discussion at the moment .... and I understand where both sides are coming from. Even with all the data in the world, this Covid thing is still very new to us-and been over 100 years since we have had a major disease breakout like this. I too was a bit uncomfortable with the new vaccines. Also was told to be careful by medical folks about my wife taking it. So we were able to get some J&J appointments this week for the both of us. And after a really nasty upper respiratory a few years ago- I do feel better myself about this shot. After we get ours, our pod will also be fully vaccinated. And with all the crazy going on out there right now- it will be good to have it. And I hope all of you and your families continue to stay safe and well......

Edited by daves87rs
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, ykX said:

Are you serious? Talk about taking out of context.

I thought this thread was called Vaccine discussion, but i guess it is only "discussion" if you agree with everyone, otherwise people are getting attacked.

People compare it to the flu because the symptoms and spread can be similar though more intense with Covid.

The comparison I made to the common cold is regarding the physical structure of the virus. There are many many coronaviruses out there and you’ve probably caught a few in your lifetime. They would have been diagnosed as a common cold or a respiratory infection. You eat chicken soup, stay in bed a few days, and you get over it. Covid-19 is just a highly intense version of that which can trigger overreaction by the immune system causing severe illness and death. Structurally it’s the common cold, but in practice it is way more intense. Beige ‘97 Camry with in LS swap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

People compare it to the flu because the symptoms and spread can be similar though more intense with Covid.

NOWHERE I compared COVID with the flu.  Talk about taking things out of context

15 hours ago, ykX said:

Many many years ago my dad had flu and had complications that irreversibly damaged his hearing.  I had flu few times and didn't even had high fever.

This is what I said and the point was that different people react to illnesses differently.

32 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The comparison I made to the common cold is regarding the physical structure of the virus.

If anything COVID closer in its structure to the flu.  This is from American Society of Microbiology

COVID-19 and the Flu (asm.org)

"Coronaviruses and influenza viruses are both enveloped, single-stranded RNA viruses, and both are encapsidated by nucleoprotein. However, the genomes of these 2 viruses differ in polarity and segmentation. Influenza virus is comprised of 8 single-stranded negative-sense, viral RNA segments. SARS-CoV-2 has single-stranded, non-segmented, positive-sense, viral RNA. "

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ykX said:

NOWHERE I compared COVID with the flu.  Talk about taking things out of context

This is what I said and the point was that different people react to illnesses differently.

If anything COVID closer in its structure to the flu.  This is from American Society of Microbiology

COVID-19 and the Flu (asm.org)

"Coronaviruses and influenza viruses are both enveloped, single-stranded RNA viruses, and both are encapsidated by nucleoprotein. However, the genomes of these 2 viruses differ in polarity and segmentation. Influenza virus is comprised of 8 single-stranded negative-sense, viral RNA segments. SARS-CoV-2 has single-stranded, non-segmented, positive-sense, viral RNA. "

The common cold *is* a Corona virus. (Usually). 

Corona virus is to Sedan as Covid-19 is to 1997 Camry with an LS swap. Coronavirus can mean anything from a Sonic LS sedan to a Charger Hellcat. Saying COVID-19 is a very specific make, model, and year.

From Wikipedia:

Coronaviruses are a group of related RNA viruses that cause diseases in mammals and birds. In humans and birds, they cause respiratory tract infections that can range from mild to lethal. Mild illnesses in humans include some cases of the common cold, while more lethal varieties can cause SARS, MERS, and COVID-19.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, ykX said:

Seriously?

I just gave you a quote from Society of Microbiology on precise definition of Covid and flu genome and you give me Wikipedia quote and compare it to Sonic?

Yes, because you don’t seem to be following what I’m saying.

34 minutes ago, ykX said:

If anything COVID closer in its structure to the flu. 

No, it’s not, and this is why I’m making the car comparison because you’re not following. COVID-19 cannot be closer in structure to the flu than a Corona virus because it is a Corona virus. The common cold is also a Corona virus. Thus common cold and COVID-19 share a common structure. Influenza may be similar, but it cannot be “closer” than something that has a shared structure.

Corona Viruses are sedans. Common cold and Covid-19 are both sedans. And there are many makes models and trim levels. Some are relatively safe, some can be deadly.

Influenza is a station wagon. Close but not the same as a sedan. Also have many makes, models, and trim levels. Some are relatively safe, some can be deadly.

But just like you can get a Charger with a wimpy 2.7 liter or a supercharged hemi, they share the same platform and body configuration. Common Cold Corona virus and Covid-19 share a platform and body configuration. Influenza has a different body configuration.

Ill make you a Venn diagram if I need to

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, ykX said:

Seriously?

I just gave you a quote from Society of Microbiology on precise definition of Covid and flu genome and you give me Wikipedia quote and compare it to Sonic?

I think the confusion is around the conflation of terms in the link you sent, and also in common vernacular when news reports refer to "The Corona Virus". The article refers to Influenza viruses in general but then SARs-CoV-2 (Covid-19) specifically.  But SARs-CoV-2 and other SARs and MERs and Common Cold are all Corona Viruses... so when ABC 6 News says "The Corona Virus" it is being unspecific even though we all know they mean Covid-19/SARs-CoV-2. 

Influenza has it's own types as well.. H1N1, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, etc... but they are all some variant of one of the 4 types of Influenza virus. 

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

COVID-19 cannot be closer in structure to the flu than a Corona virus because it is a Corona virus. The common cold is also a Corona virus.

I didn't say say that. It seems you do not follow what I am trying to say.  

This is COVID-19 under microscope

Image Library | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

This is Flu virus under microscope

3d-influenza-blue-full-600px.jpg

This is common cold under microscope

Rhinovirus isosurface.png

COVID-19 closer to flu in its structure than to the common cold

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 1

Click the link...

In all seriousness, wife got second shot, zero side effects. I am getting the second shot Friday and am looking forward to it. Looking at countries like Brazil where Covid is going apeshit with only two percent of the population vaccinated makes me very happy for once to just be American adn get the Vaccine. 

Want to go to concerts again, resteraunts, et al. Fly to South America...

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, ykX said:

I didn't say say that. It seems you do not follow what I am trying to say.  

This is COVID-19 under microscope

Image Library | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

This is Flu virus under microscope

3d-influenza-blue-full-600px.jpg

This is common cold under microscope

Rhinovirus isosurface.png

COVID-19 closer to flu in its structure to the common cold

At least one if not two of those is a rendering. The third looks like it’s from an electron microscope.

But what you’re saying is just scientifically incorrect. It’s the same as saying station wagons and sedans are the same because they both have 4 wheels and a motor up front.

look up the RNA virus list on Wikipedia. Influenza and Corona viruses are in two different families. Sure they’re both round with spikes, but even those spikes are different. (and the common cold has spikes too).

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Click the link...

In all seriousness, wife got second shot, zero side effects. I am getting the second shot Friday and am looking forward to it. Looking at countries like Brazil where Covid is going apeshit with only two percent of the population vaccinated makes me very happy for once to just be American adn get the Vaccine. 

Want to go to concerts again, resteraunts, et al. Fly to South America...

Getting 2nd shot next Monday.    Looking forward to some sort of normalcy eventually--going to concerts, restaurants, museums..really looking forward to getting on the ferry out to the islands this Spring..

images.jpeg

• Agree 3

Liking this image comparison of the cold and flu by webmd site.

Is it A Cold or the Flu? The Difference Explained With Pictures (webmd.com)

image.png

Interesting that the CDC only uses computer generated images of the Flu Virus from under an electron microscope.

Images of Influenza Viruses | CDC

image.png

image.png

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

At least one if not two of those is a rendering. The third looks like it’s from an electron microscope.

All these renderings were taken from reliable publications, like CDC and WHO and medical magazines, not Wikipedia

However, here if you like quotes from wikipedia:

The rhinovirus (from the Greek ῥίς rhis "nose", gen ῥινός rhinos "of the nose", and the Latin vīrus) is the most common viral infectious agent in humans and is the predominant cause of the common cold.

There are no vaccines against these viruses as there is little-to-no cross-protection between serotypes. At least 99 serotypes of human rhinoviruses affecting humans have been sequenced.[23][8] 

Nowhere it says that common cold is in the coronavirus family.

• Thanks 1

I would like to add that since I have the ability to work from home, I am not rushing to get the vaccine but not because of the vaccine itself. My girlfriend has an auto-immune issue and while she gets to work from home as well, me bringing in even a weakened strain of anything is a roll of the dice. The one and ONLY time I got a flu shot, I ended up as sick as I have every been, so I have to consider that as well. I am planning on waiting until we hit the 80% vaccinated number before I go. I also have a very strong immune system so I prefer to wait while the folks that really need it, get theirs first.  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I would like to add that since I have the ability to work from home, I am not rushing to get the vaccine but not because of the vaccine itself. My girlfriend has an auto-immune issue and while she gets to work from home as well, me bringing in even a weakened strain of anything is a roll of the dice. The one and ONLY time I got a flu shot, I ended up as sick as I have every been, so I have to consider that as well. I am planning on waiting until we hit the 80% vaccinated number before I go. I also have a very strong immune system so I prefer to wait while the folks that really need it, get theirs first.  

It sucks for people who will struggle to handle the vaccine. My 80 year old mother is one of them...

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It sucks for people who will struggle to handle the vaccine. My 80 year old mother is one of them...

I don’t know that I would struggle with it, per say, but with my girlfriend being the way she is (medically speaking), I’m not rolling the dice. Now, if I was actually having to travel out for work, it might be a different story but for now, I have the luxury of waiting it out for just a bit longer. During H1N1, I was working at a residential behavioral health treatment facility with over 100 “patients”. 90% of the entire facility (students and staff) came down with H1N1 and they were offering shots then. I did not do it because by then, the entire event had pretty much run its course and I had nothing (again, lucky with the strong immune system) and never got it. Looking back though, it may have foolish on my part because even though my immune system is pretty robust, I am a prime candidate for being an asymptomatic carrier so thats what makes this situation a little different.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I want to summarize points I wanted to make.  Correct me if anything I say is wrong:

1.  mRNA based vaccines were never used on a wide scale before.  Yes, there was a long research before but until now it didn't achieve any commercially available vaccines and medications.

2. FDA gave Pfizer, Moderna and J&J vaccines Emergency TEMPORARY approval (EUA) because of the pandemic in order to bypass regular medication certification process. That process is not just bureaucracy, but was written with human lives when there were failures or misdirections from pharmaceutical companies. 

3.  Pfizer and other companies will have to submit for a permanent FDA Biological License Approval when they have enough data to get fully certified that vaccines are safe short and long term.  It might take few months, it might take few years.  They still collect data.  Basically the whole world is one big experiment at the moment.

4. At the moment all the vaccines are very effective with very small percentage of people having severe reactions to the vaccine.

There are still a lot of questions to be answered.  So I perfectly understand some people who are cautious at the moment.

Personally, to me the question is a consideration between getting sick and possible long term affects of the vaccine.  I choose vaccine because like many others I want to continue my life.  However, if I have a choice, I prefer J&J vaccine. 

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, ykX said:

All these renderings were taken from reliable publications, like CDC and WHO and medical magazines, not Wikipedia

However, here if you like quotes from wikipedia:

The rhinovirus (from the Greek ῥίς rhis "nose", gen ῥινός rhinos "of the nose", and the Latin vīrus) is the most common viral infectious agent in humans and is the predominant cause of the common cold.

There are no vaccines against these viruses as there is little-to-no cross-protection between serotypes. At least 99 serotypes of human rhinoviruses affecting humans have been sequenced.[23][8] 

Nowhere it says that common cold is in the coronavirus family.

Coronaviruses are a group of related RNA viruses that cause diseases in mammals and birds. In humans and birds, they cause respiratory tract infections that can range from mild to lethal. Mild illnesses in humans include some cases of the common cold (which is also caused by other viruses, predominantly rhinoviruses),

Coronavirus - Wikipedia

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, ykX said:

Proper testing and certification is in place to avoid things like that:

Official: EU agency to confirm AstraZeneca blood clot link (apnews.com)

A top official at the European Medicines Agency says there is a causal link between AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vaccine and rare blood clots

Yeah, that seems to be the one company with issues. They also have issues in Europe as well.  My wife got her J&J today, and is resting comfortably at the moment. Just a bit tired....and it was nice that the school district she works for gave her two days off.....

• Agree 2

Crazy that 44%of the new infections are from 5 states right now.

QUOTE: New York, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania and New Jersey together reported 44% of the nation’s new COVID-19 infections, or nearly 197,500 new cases, in the latest available seven-day period, according to state health agency data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Total U.S. infections during the same week numbered more than 452,000.

Nearly half of new US virus infections are in just 5 states (apnews.com)

Glad to see Michigan and my state Washington is adjusting to help reduce the flow of Covid-19.

Michigan, Washington state impose severe COVID-19 restrictions as U.S. infections soar | Reuters

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, David said:

Crazy that 44%of the new infections are from 5 states right now.

QUOTE: New York, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania and New Jersey together reported 44% of the nation’s new COVID-19 infections, or nearly 197,500 new cases, in the latest available seven-day period, according to state health agency data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Total U.S. infections during the same week numbered more than 452,000.

Nearly half of new US virus infections are in just 5 states (apnews.com)

Glad to see Michigan and my state Washington is adjusting to help reduce the flow of Covid-19.

Michigan, Washington state impose severe COVID-19 restrictions as U.S. infections soar | Reuters

Scary....

• Agree 2

The first studies are coming in from analyzing the data and it seems those that get Covid-19, 1/3rd of them have what they are calling brain disease. Neurological-psychological damage, very scary for the world and the long term affects on people.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/06/health/covid-neurological-psychological-lancet-wellness/index.html

Very happy that the same data is showing long term protection by those that get vaccinated and Pfizer is working on a booster shot.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-04-01/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-protection-lasts-at-least-six-months

• Agree 1

On 4/6/2021 at 11:41 AM, ykX said:

Proper testing and certification is in place to avoid things like that:

Official: EU agency to confirm AstraZeneca blood clot link (apnews.com)

A top official at the European Medicines Agency says there is a causal link between AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vaccine and rare blood clots

The AZ vaccine doesn't use raw mRNA like Pfizer and Moderna. 

The AZ vaccine (And J&J) use an actual virus (adenovirus) to deliver DNA instead of RNA.

That DNA is then used to make the mRNA

The AZ vaccine hasn't been approved for use in the US because..... it never passed the Phase 3 clinical trials.

Whether or not it will in the future, we don't know... but pointing at the AZ vaccine and saying "This isn't safe, the system is broken" when the system prevented it from being released to the public in the first place seems a bit.... off?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The AZ vaccine doesn't use raw mRNA like Pfizer and Moderna. 

The AZ vaccine (And J&J) use an actual virus (adenovirus) to deliver DNA instead of RNA.

That DNA is then used to make the mRNA

The AZ vaccine hasn't been approved for use in the US because..... it never passed the Phase 3 clinical trials.

Whether or not it will in the future, we don't know... but pointing at the AZ vaccine and saying "This isn't safe, the system is broken" when the system prevented it from being released to the public in the first place seems a bit.... off?

I know that AZ vaccine is using completely different technology than Pfizer and  Moderna and I wasn't implying that system is broken.  Not sure where you got it from my post.  Please show were exactly I wrote anything even close to that.

It was released in Europe and it was in the process of certification here in US.  I am just saying that FDA certification process is not a bunch of bureaucratic red tape like some people implied here.

Edited by ykX
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

51 minutes ago, ykX said:

I know that AZ vaccine is using completely different technology than Pfizer and  Moderna and I wasn't implying that system is broken.  Not sure where you got it from my post.  Please show were exactly I wrote anything even close to that.

It was released in Europe and it was in the process of certification here in US.  I am just saying that FDA certification process is not a bunch of bureaucratic red tape like some people implied here.

Yeah, that last bit is true. Part of the reason drug trials take so long is that it is hard to find people willing to try a new drug. Researchers have to beg and bribe people to do it. With the Covid-19 vaccine they had 100s of thousands of volunteers. Additionally, the FDA cleared everyone’s Outlook calendar and made these drugs top priority for review, so that greatly accelerated the process. Normally it’s difficult to get approvals done because it’s hard to get everyone in a room together.

Covid gave everyone substantial motivation to get this done.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Wife & I got our first Moderna shot today. Rode an hour 1-way to get it.
My one son who works in a NY hospital got both his shots maybe 2 months ago.
Other son doesn't have an app't yet, his GF got the J&J shot Monday.

Bill And Ted 80S GIF by IFC - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Agree 2

My sister and I got our 2nd shots of Pfizer on Monday, quick and easy.  I really haven't had any side effects, a bit of fatigue but that is probably due to being awoken at 4:30-5 am 3 days in a row by the dogs.   She had some all-over-soreness and out-of-it feeling, but slept it off. 

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

In my area at least, they now have more doses than they have willing recipients.  If you've been waiting for your shot, look around to see if there are some new appointments available. 

Same here, plenty of Pfizer and Moderna Vaccines. Both my kids are either on shot one or had both. Very happy that everyone who wants to get vaccinated is able too. The variations are scary and I look forward to the Booster shots from Pfizer and Moderna to address those other versions.

• Agree 1