Lot Trolling : 2022 Jeep Wagoneer Series III

• regfootball changed the title to Lot Trolling : 2022 Jeep Wagoneer Series III

Wait- is this the new top-shelf Uber-Jeep?!?
Why does it look so much different than the press pics??

The head-on front view looks excellent; refined, upscale. Easily the best view.
The rear is fine but nothing of any distinction.

The profile shots... boy; I sure hope that this is camera distortion because it looks; 1. overly tall, 2. overly slab-sided, 3. overly boxy. Camera shot also gives it a major FWD-esque proportion with the front overhang.

But there's more. The black trim around the sidelights looks really weird, like sheets hanging off a clothesline. And the side view seems 'soft & puffy' - I'm getting strong '00 Tahoe vibes here. I thought based on the front views (almost all of the press pics) that the sides would be likewise chiseled, but they're soft and featureless. No bueno; this isn't a game-changer on the exterior at all.

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

Wait- is this the new top-shelf Uber-Jeep?!?
Why does it look so much different than the press pics??

The head-on front view looks excellent; refined, upscale. Easily the best view.
The rear is fine but nothing of any distinction.

The profile shots... boy; I sure hope that this is camera distortion because it looks; 1. overly tall, 2. overly slab-sided, 3. overly boxy. Camera shot also gives it a major FWD-esque proportion with the front overhang.

But there's more. The black trim around the sidelights looks really weird, like sheets hanging off a clothesline. And the side view seems 'soft & puffy' - I'm getting strong '00 Tahoe vibes here. I thought based on the front views (almost all of the press pics) that the sides would be likewise chiseled, but they're soft and featureless. No bueno; this isn't a game-changer on the exterior at all.

The Wagoneer isn't the top, this is the Tahoe/Expedition competitor, the Grand Wagoneer is the Escalade/Navigator competitor.  This looks more minivan than it does Jeep.  But will be curious to see how it sells compared to the other big SUVs, as this is price territory that Jeep hasn't been in.  The Grand Wagoneer is priced $10k above the Escalade and Navigator.  I don't know if the Jeep brand is strong enough to go north of $100k, but I guess we are about to find out if this is the next Escalade, or the next Chrysler Aspen.

• Like 1

I've seen a few W/GWs in traffic and parked at a distance, I like the front, but the sides are too flat/slab sided...needs some creases, IMO.  I don't like the body color around the side windows, would look better with black pillar trim between the windows like on the GC, IMO...

And as usual with Jeeps, most seem to be white (yawn...I hate white SUVs).   

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

Same body tho, so same proportions. I think the pics from reg are just distorted.

Speculation says the Grand Wagoneer has few options, so it's expected not to cross $100K. I believe the Escalade averages around $105K, and can go over $125K last I checked.

It'll certainly pass 100k.

Grand Wagoneer.JPG

14 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I like the front, but the sides are too flat/slab sided...needs some creases, IMO.  

Agree but that's exactly how the other super large SUVs are. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

My local CDJR dealer has 3 G-Dubs on their site, 2 series II at about 101-102k, and a series III at 110k..

The 12 Wagoneers in stock range from $73-88k.

https://www.spitzerchryslerdodgejeepram.com/new-vehicles/?q=wagoneer&_dFR[type][0]=New&_paymentType=our_price

Edited by Robert Hall

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Thanks for the correction.
That's crazy... but I bet they find buyers just fine.
Why buy an out-dated g-wagon when this may actually be far nicer. 

Yeah, I still think this will sell just fine. 

Well, the G-Wagen was all-new in 2019. I don't think it's out-dated as of 2019. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, balthazar said:

^ Stylistically, it's decades out-dated.

No point in trying to 'modernize' the styling, it's considered a classic...like other models that change slowly and evolve over decades.   They have the GLS for those that want a 'modern' looking luxury SUV. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, balthazar said:

Same body tho, so same proportions. I think the pics from reg are just distorted.

Speculation says the Grand Wagoneer has few options, so it's expected not to cross $100K. I believe the Escalade averages around $105K, and can go over $125K last I checked.

You can run the Grand Wagoneer up, it has 4 trim levels, the cheapest starting at $88k plus a $2k destination charge so really $90k is the starting price.

I built one to $112k, I imagine if you try hard enough you can push an Escalade a little higher, but still, we are talking a Jeep against the top end vehicle in GM's top end brand.  There will be people that pay over $100k for these I'm sure, but I don't quite get it, especially with a dinosaur engine that gets like 13 mpg.  And maybe it sells well in year 1, but then I bet it fades.  Audi is brining out a Q9 monster SUV soon, BMW an X8, there is a new Range Rover coming out for 2022 (although it starts at $111k for a long wheelbase 7 seater and a V8 Autobiography starts at $155k).  Plus, Navigator, Escalade, GLS, the all new Lexus LX, massive competition in this segment from big time luxury brands.  Also this shows Stellantis has no good luxury brand.

1440833791_ScreenShot2021-11-09at5_16_02PM.thumb.png.97879582babe55125910ac6fe4f137c9.png

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ Stylistically, it's decades out-dated.

Many would say the G-wagen is the best looking SUV on the market.  Used G-wagens are selling for $150-200k right now, that's the most sought after SUV right now.   And because it has no rival really, it's midsize, way smaller than any other expensive SUV, and it is way better off road than any other expensive SUV, and it has the iconic look.  They essentially made the Lamborghini Countach of SUV's, it is the most head turning USV, but unlike Lamborghini who killed the Countach off (only to bring it back 30 years later), Mercedes just kept on building it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Many would say the G-wagen is the best looking SUV on the market.

You may want to cite “many” because we ain’t buying it. 

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

especially with a dinosaur engine that gets like 13 mpg

The “dinosaur” 6.2L in the Escalade is laughing at you from the top of the luxury SUV sales ladder. 

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

They essentially made the Lamborghini Countach of SUV's, it is the most head turning USV, but unlike Lamborghini who killed the Countach off (only to bring it back 30 years later), Mercedes just kept on building it.

4. Mercedes doesn't build it.
3. Countach was never killed off, only the name badge was. Car has remained in production.
2/1. This is the Lamborghini of USVs (and it looks 40 years more modern than a 'mercedes Jeep') ~  

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.00.50 PM.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

You may want to cite “many” because we ain’t buying it. 

The “dinosaur” 6.2L in the Escalade is laughing at you from the top of the luxury SUV sales ladder. 

The GM 6.2 V8 is a good V8, even though it is old fashioned, they at least update it, they are pretty reliable (although maybe not as good as the Vortec 6.0 was), also thirsty but not as bad as the 6.4 Hemi.  And the Escalade does have the diesel option also.  I think Cadillac needs to do more with engine technology than they have, but if they are going hard into EV's and are going to be 100% EV in 5 years, then there is no point in putting any money into gas engines now, the ship kind of sailed already on that.

That being said the Germans have better powertrains, as will Lexus with the new LX.  The Escalade has been around over 20 years and has a following built up. the Grand Wagoneer is new, and has to conquest from these luxury brands, or hope that there are a lot of Grand Cherokee owners who suddenly got their income doubled while simultaneously needing to haul 7 people.

59 minutes ago, balthazar said:

4. Mercedes doesn't build it.
3. Countach was never killed off, only the name badge was. Car has remained in production.
2/1. This is the Lamborghini of USVs (and it looks 40 years more modern than a 'mercedes Jeep') ~  

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.00.50 PM.png

People aren't buying posters of that to hang on the wall.  That dressed up Audi Q8 has maybe half the street cred of the G-Wagon.  The G-wagon is the king of the baller SUVs, that's what all the athletes and celebrities buy when they want to show off.

3 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Id consider a Grand Wagoneer is if Chryco "redeyes" it.   Or in Jeep's case, "Trackhawks" it. 

Hellcat All the Things to 707 HP With Discounted 'Hellcrate' Engine

I think the world needs more of these engines on the road before the EV thing takes over. 

When sales drop off in 2023, they will put a Hellcat in it.  

11 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The GM 6.2 V8 is a good V8, even though it is old fashioned, they at least update it, they are pretty reliable (although maybe not as good as the Vortec 6.0 was), also thirsty but not as bad as the 6.4 Hemi.

That Semi has also been updated over the years and has similar cylinder deactivation tech as the GM. I should add that brand new tech inset always better for certain things. Example? That G-Wagen you love so much uses a brand new engine and powertrain but still gets $h! MPGs. Point being the MPGs don't mean much in this price bracket so just let go of the fake criticism just because we are not talking about a German SUV here.

1015183151_ScreenShot2021-11-10at9_37_41AM.thumb.png.33b02d0a10eefb76fedd52806965b739.png

43 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I think it's safe to say AT LEAST this many people. 

G Class Sales.JPG

Which flies in the face of the "many people" part of his initial "assessment". Purely biased commentary by a known Benz fan. Nothing more, nothing less.

When sales drop off in 2023, they will put a Hellcat in it.  

And? That means they are doing the same damn thing as Benz when they slap AMG labels in everything. It's to boost sales. DUHHHH!

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

That dressed up Audi Q8 has maybe half the street cred of the G-Wagon.  The G-wagon is the king of the baller SUVs, that's what all the athletes and celebrities buy when they want to show off.

Seriously? That's the hill to die on here? They sell barely thousands yearly of the G-Wagen but because a few bad with money celebrities drive them, that's the be all, end all here? 

And get the entire "you know what" out of here with everything you said there anyway, honestly. That overdressed Audi (something you never point out when comparing it to domestics btw) has plenty of celebrity credentials right off the bat. All it took was one search to kill your argument about cars and their celebrity status preferences. Stop acting like Benz is so damn unique in every way when it clearly isn't. I'd take the GW over the G-Wagen any day of the week btw and I'm not even that enamored over the exterior looks of it. The interior is the seller for me.

299927391_ScreenShot2021-11-10at9_44_17AM.thumb.png.bd76d57357bb02c4b208c5f45315b088.png

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It's funny that there is a G Wagen within that picture snippet, with an Aventador. 

Saw that lol. Just baffles me to think that everyone wants the Benz and apparently nothing else. Meanwhile, the real world upper crust knows that there are many luxury choices and Benz is just another player in it.

18 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Saw that lol. Just baffles me to think that everyone wants the Benz and apparently nothing else. Meanwhile, the real world upper crust knows that there are many luxury choices and Benz is just another player in it.

Especially in that growing segment of ultra luxury and ultra performance SUVs. I mean, only a few years ago there was only like the X5M, GLE63, G Wagen, Range Rover and Cayenne and now there are offerings from Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Tesla Model X, Jaguar, Maserati and Alfa Romeo. 

I only included 2-row SUVs because, well, the 3-row boats aren't in the performance category. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It's funny that there is a G Wagen within that picture snippet, with an Aventador. 

That's right, they could have had a Urus, but got the G-wagon instead.  Although although that looks like the 4x4 squared so maybe they actually go off road which the Urus isn't going to do.  On the flip side they did buy an Aventator over the faster on the Nurburgring AMG GT Black series, but perhaps the Black Series wasn't on sale yet.

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Especially in that growing segment of ultra luxury and ultra performance SUVs. I mean, only a few years ago there was only like the X5M, GLE63, G Wagen, Range Rover and Cayenne and now there are offerings from Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Tesla Model X, Jaguar, Maserati and Alfa Romeo. 

I only included 2-row SUVs because, well, the 3-row boats aren't in the performance category. 

And the Ferrari is coming soon, the test mules look like it is close to reveal.  BMW X8 is close too which should be high performance.  The GLS63 I'd say is in the performance category.   Plus the Mercedes electric SUV's they'll get the same set up as the AMG EQS, the BMW iX, whatever Audi E-tron SUV shows up, it is going to be pretty endless.  There will probably be more performance SUVs than actual performance coupes on the market in a few years, sadly.

13 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

That's right, they could have had a Urus, but got the G-wagon instead.  Although although that looks like the 4x4 squared so maybe they actually go off road which the Urus isn't going to do.  On the flip side they did buy an Aventator over the faster on the Nurburgring AMG GT Black series, but perhaps the Black Series wasn't on sale yet.

That's wrong. That was one G in a sea of Urus images and clearly you didn't actually look at the pics of hundreds of celebrities that have already gotten their hands on them but hey, that "G-Wagon" lol (used in quotes because you continue to misspell G-Wagen). After all, if Kylie Jenner has one then it must be good (please note the heaviest use of sarcasm ever).

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

Tom Brady Is Selling His Modified Cadillac Escalade SUV for $300,000 – Robb  Report

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/tom-brady-2017-becker-cadillac-escalade-sale-2924155/

If you want to get behind the wheel of Brady’s 2017 stretched Becker Cadillac Escalade ESV, be prepared to splash out some serious cash. The future Hall of Famer’s SUV cost $350,000 when it was brand new, but it can be yours for $300,000 just three years later.

Sylvester Stallone's stretched Cadillac Escalade is for sale

https://www.motortrend.com/features/sylvester-stallone-becker-auto-design-cadillac-escalade-for-sale/

Tom Brady recently sold his Becker Auto Design Escalade ESV, which was outfitted slightly differently. We won't pit your celebrity affinities against one another, but it is worth pointing out that Stallone's Cadillac is being sold for $350,000, and the GOAT's was listed for $300,000. Apparently, Rocky's unit cost $409,000 when new; Brady's was just $350,000, and when sold it had 13,000 miles on the odometer. So, if you're looking for a specially outfitted previous-generation Cadillac Escalade to be chauffeured around in that happens to have some Sly magic, this is your chance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

LOL

https://beckerautodesign.com/

The Mercedes G Wagen is soooooo the hot SUV that everybody wants, that a specialty conversion shop stretches, armours and customizes  Escalades, Navigators...and Mercedes SPRINTER and METRIS vans.  

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Lamborghini Urus global sales:

2019:  4,962

2020:  4,391

Mercedes G-class sales (USA, Canada, Europe combined as I couldn't find a global total)

2019:  17,302

2020:  12,433

Deflection from your celebrity claim which has NO connection to the sale figure you posted above. Just skip the fact that the Urus comes from a low volume automaker and accounted for more than half of Lambos overall sales. You, again, fail at apples to apples. 

14 hours ago, smk4565 said:

BMW X8 is close too which should be high performance.  The GLS63 I'd say is in the performance category.

Too. Big. That's why I left them off. 

13 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Lamborghini Urus global sales:

2019:  4,962

2020:  4,391

Mercedes G-class sales (USA, Canada, Europe combined as I couldn't find a global total)

2019:  17,302

2020:  12,433

I don't think the numbers matter a whole lot as I believe both are selling as many as they can produce. 

14 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Although although that looks like the 4x4 squared so maybe they actually go off road which the Urus isn't going to do.

It's Kylie Jenner, she's not taking it off-road. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Although although that looks like the 4x4 squared so maybe they actually go off road which the Urus isn't going to do.

I am willing to bet that here and 98% of the Gs out there have never even seen a gravel road much less been “off road”. Just stop it already. We get it. Mercedes Mercedes Mercedes. My answer to that is “so F’ing what?”