Porsche News: Profitable Porsche set's Ambition for 80% All-Electric New Vehicle Sales by 2030 Globally

David

2021 was a banner year for Porsche AG as it delivered for the first time world-wide 301,915 vehicles to customers. While this is the first time the company has ever sold 300,000 plus new vehicles in a year, it was done on the back of their 3 most popular models.

• Macan - 88,362
  • Cayenne 83,071
  • Taycan - 41,296 - First EV for the company, overtook the 911 sports car which sold 38,464

This was an 11% increase in sales over 2020. On top of this, 40% of the Porsche sold in Europe alone were Hybrid versions of the top two selling autos.

Porsche says they will produce and sell half of all global sales as some form of EV, either pure BEV or Plug-in Hybrid by 2025. With this lofty goal in reach according to executives, they have set a goal of 80% of Global auto sales in 2030 shall be pure EV. To help achieve that, Porsche is investing in premium charging stations with partners globally in addition to their own 800 V charging systems at their dealerships. Furthermore, Porsche is investing in new battery technology such as solid-state in their new Cellforce Group, with these high-performance battery packs coming online in mass productions by 2024.

China was Porsche largest global market, followed by the U.S., then Germany. With a focus on an IPO for Porsche AG going independent, they have committed long-term to a joint EV development R&D with Volkswagen that will benefit from the joint synergies in the future. 

So how does Porsche expect to reach 80% electric-vehicle sales by 2030?

Electrification of all models and the stopping of ICE production as the electric models come online by a staggard year or so. 

Porsche has the electric version of the Macan and Cayenne coming out and the next autos are their 911 and 718 to be pure electric. Porsche believes the public want to go electric sooner rather than later and with the following sales figures believes it can achieve this.

Quote: Sales in 2021 were €33.1 billion, €4.4 billion more than in the previous year, representing growth of 15 percent (previous year's sales: €28.7 billion). Operating profit was €5.3 billion, exceeding the previous year's figure by €1.1 billion (plus 27 percent). Porsche thus generated an operating return on sales of 16.0 percent (previous year: 14.6 percent).

The last Porsche to go Electric will be the 918 series.

Porsche's ambition for 2030: More than 80 percent all-electric new vehicles - Porsche Newsroom

Cellforce to set up production in proximity to Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen - Porsche Newsroom

Porsche delivers more than 300,000 vehicles - Porsche Newsroom

Prototypes of the all-electric Macan: both digital and real - Porsche Newsroom

View full article

These guys know what they are doing, the Taycan whips the Panamera in sales, so I don't see why electric versions or electric equivalents of the Macan and Cayenne won't sell as well or better than the gas counter parts.  I expect all their SUVs and 4-door cars will be EV by 2030, and they'll have a solid state battery 911 by then and that might be EV only then.

Porsche is just one of those companies that I could get behind. You almost never hear about quality issues, only extremely high praise for their quality. They just seem to make great products. 

If I had the money, I could see myself being a Porsche-only household. They just don't seem to make anything that's mediocre or middle of the pack, EVER. The only "real" downside(assuming I had the money) would be, I'd want a V8 in my sports car, simply for the sounds. 

I'd be thrilled to have a Taycan Cross Tourismo, Cayenne, and a manual 911 Targa in the garage. It's only like half a mil worth of vehicles though..🤣

~150k for a Targa 4S

~150k for a Taycan GTS Cross Tourismo

~170k for a Cayenne Turbo S E-Hybrid

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Porsche is just one of those companies that I could get behind. You almost never hear about quality issues, only extremely high praise for their quality. They just seem to make great products. 

If I had the money, I could see myself being a Porsche-only household. They just don't seem to make anything that's mediocre or middle of the pack, EVER. The only "real" downside(assuming I had the money) would be, I'd want a V8 in my sports car, simply for the sounds. 

I'd be thrilled to have a Taycan Cross Tourismo, Cayenne, and a manual 911 Targa in the garage. It's only like half a mil worth of vehicles though..🤣

~150k for a Targa 4S

I totally get the desire for a V8 and the sound of the engine, while I never have been in the Porsche Taycan and I doubt I would fit, everything I read about their first EV is that it drives like any other Porsche and is extremely enthralling to feel the low punch in the gut off the line and any time you punch the accelerator. 

My gut feeling is we will see people other than more hardcore auto enthusiasts that feel they must have the motor sound, will embrace EVs heavily once there are options. I truly think that if Chevrolet delivers a quality EV in the Equinox for a starting price of $30K, they will grab considerable market share.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

~150k for a Targa 4S

I could see that as a very attractive dream car garage.   I'd want a Boxster 4.0 GTS manual also, and maybe sub a Panamera Sport Turismo for the Taycan.

Edited by Robert Hall

22 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I could see that as a very attractive dream car garage.   I'd want a Boxster 4.0 GTS manual also, and maybe sub a Panamera Sport Turismo for the Taycan.

I was just trying to keep it semi-realistic. Daily for me and wife then one toy.

You could easily slash 50k off each of these for a lesser model, I was just dreamin' some. 

Panamera has always been one of the ugliest yet highest praised vehicles to me. I would never own one simply based on how ugly they are. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I was just trying to keep it semi-realistic. Daily for me and wife then one toy.

You could easily slash 50k off each of these for a lesser model, I was just dreamin' some. 

Panamera has always been one of the ugliest yet highest praised vehicles to me. I would never own one simply based on how ugly they are. 

I have to laugh as I totally agree, the Panamera is one butt ugly car, yet with that said, I am aware of multiple coworkers who own them and I have ridden in them, tight, small and not for me, but they do get up and roar and drive as they say like it was on rails! :P 

I really really respect Porsche.  I really really like what they do with the 911 and when they do  super/hyper cars like the 959, Carrera GT  and 918.  

They havent always given their sports cars THE best engineering, but it was such a looooong time ago when they were half-assing it.  Like @ccap41 said, TODAY, they produce fine and awesome cars.  Yeah, even their CUVs and SUVs.  (Hating to admit ANY CUV or SUV regardless the manufacturer as a fine product...   🤢🤮)

Their production of CUVs and SUVs have created another fandom and fan base separate from their 911 and their sportscars. Its a good thing for parent company VW, Im not so sure if that is a good thing for Porsche. They better not phoque up the 911 when it (the 911) eventually goes EV because Porsche's true image(that of a no nonsense, pure sports car) will be done for.   An EV 911 will be such a different animal from the 911, they better figure out how to accomplish making a heavy EV 911 be nimble around a track.  And I really mean nimble.  Nimble is different from good handling.  Heft is the enemy of nimble... 

An EV 911 will also have much much different handling characteristics from a classic 911.  Normally that wouldnt be a problem, but for the 911 its gonna be huge.

Why?

Because a 911 has been evolving. And BECAUSE the motor is in the rear, the handling aspect of a 911 is unique. Porsche has carefully perfected the 911 handling over its 60 year history. And its such a unique characteristic that many love.  Its 911 DNA.  If folk got pi$$ed when Corvette went mid-engine, oh boy the whining of when the 911 goes EV and the carefully crafted evolution of the 911 is going to vanish instantly...

Just a thought I had that popped in my head reading this thread.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I really really respect Porsche.  I really really like what they do with the 911 and when they do  super/hyper cars like the 959, Carrera GT  and 918.  

They havent always given their sports cars THE best engineering, but it was such a looooong time ago when they were half-assing it.  Like @ccap41 said, TODAY, they produce fine and awesome cars.  Yeah, even their CUVs and SUVs.  (Hating to admit ANY CUV or SUV regardless the manufacturer as a fine product...   🤢🤮)

Their production of CUVs and SUVs have created another fandom and fan base separate from their 911 and their sportscars. Its a good thing for parent company VW, Im not so sure if that is a good thing for Porsche. They better not phoque up the 911 when it (the 911) eventually goes EV because Porsche's true image(that of a no nonsense, pure sports car) will be done for.   An EV 911 will be such a different animal from the 911, they better figure out how to accomplish making a heavy EV 911 be nimble around a track.  And I really mean nimble.  Nimble is different from good handling.  Heft is the enemy of nimble... 

An EV 911 will also have much much different handling characteristics from a classic 911.  Normally that wouldnt be a problem, but for the 911 its gonna be huge.

Why?

Because a 911 has been evolving. And BECAUSE the motor is in the rear, the handling aspect of a 911 is unique. Porsche has carefully perfected the 911 handling over its 60 year history. And its such a unique characteristic that many love.  Its 911 DNA.  If folk got pi$$ed when Corvette went mid-engine, oh boy the whining of when the 911 goes EV and the carefully crafted evolution of the 911 is going to vanish instantly...

Just a thought I had that popped in my head reading this thread.  

Some great fine points, but I do wonder 🤔 as Porsche fans/Owners of 911 have always said that if Porsche could get a true 50/50 weight distribution the car would be untouchable by everyone. Could an EV version, awd with a perfect 50/50 weight distribution finally be the Golden Goose of the Porsche Sports car?

Yes we know EVs are currently heavy, but with Solid-State batteries on the horizon and also more energy dense Lithium-Sulfur batteries finally seeming to overcome their shortcomings, one does have to wonder how lite and nimble the 911 EV will become. 🤔

52 minutes ago, David said:

as Porsche fans/Owners of 911 have always said that if Porsche could get a true 50/50 weight distribution the car would be untouchable by everyone.

One gripe I did have with Porsche was the rumour and conspiracy theory that Porsche hamstrung the Cayman as to not outperform the 911.

But low and behold, they have come up with the 718 Cayman GT4 RS this year (they have put the (911's GT3 engine in it) and the automotive world has gone bonkers for it.    They say its the best mid-engined sports car around. 

And Im not surprised Porsche would do this.  Porsche hates being in 2nd place.  Ferrari has been pushing upwards. Corvette has been pushing upwards with the C8.    Finally, the Cayman gets the proper engines, the proper tuning in suspensions to BE the best. The Cayman ALWAYS had the potential to be the best. Even better than the 911.   I still prefer the 911, but with this entry, it makes me respect Porsche even more.  And for Porsche-files, they need not have to think about the "what if" scenarios, this car shows them what a mid-engined Porsche could really do.  The 911 has a fault. And 911 folk deep down inside KNOW. AWD could eliminate most of those faults. Evolutionary engineering has also eliminated much of that rear engine fault. But the fault is still inherent.  The Cayman GT4 RS is truly Porsche's answer. 

2022 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS First Drive: Tack Sharp, Racing Focused

Corvette REALLY needs put out a PURE track oriented C8 . The way the Z06 is gonna be, its gonna be a mix of a pure track car AND a GT car.   Too many features on the Z06 that favour comfort cruising rather than tracking.  The Z06 will be a killer track car, and it will be track car focused like no other Corvette ever engineered. It will probably have a sub 7 second 'Ring time.  It will punch above its price point.  But the Z06 will still not be that pure, raw track car. 

THIS is my wish for the Corvette. To have many many variants for all the flavours. To have a DIRECT competitor with EVERY SINGLE Porsche 911 and Cayman.  

Yes. I realize that this means 100 versions of the C8.  Porsche does it. I want Corvette to do it too. 

Yes. I realize that Porsche is a company within a company  and a brand and Corvette is just one model within the Chevrolet brand within the company General Motors. 

Maybe though, in an EV world, many variants of a Corvette is not possible as EVs will look liek they will all be the same flavour.  Battery on the bottom of the platform in a skateboard platform. Dual, tri motor set-ups. 4 motor set-ups for off roaders.  Power in an EV seems to be the same.  Software programming seems to be getting to be the same...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

One gripe I did have with Porsche was the rumour and conspiracy theory that Porsche hamstrung the Cayman as to not outperform the 911.

But low and behold, they have come up with the 718 Cayman GT4 RS this year (they have put the (911's GT3 engine in it) and the automotive world has gone bonkers for it.    They say its the best mid-engined sports car around. 

And Im not surprised Porsche would do this.  Porsche hates being in 2nd place.  Ferrari has been pushing upwards. Corvette has been pushing upwards with the C8.    Finally, the Cayman gets the proper engines, the proper tuning in suspensions to BE the best. The Cayman ALWAYS had the potential to be the best. Even better than the 911.   I still prefer the 911, but with this entry, it makes me respect Porsche even more.  And for Porsche-files, they need not have to think about the "what if" scenarios, this car shows them what a mid-engined Porsche could really do.  The 911 has a fault. And 911 folk deep down inside KNOW. AWD could eliminate most of those faults. Evolutionary engineering has also eliminated much of that rear engine fault. But the fault is still inherent.  The Cayman GT4 RS is truly Porsche's answer. 

2022 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS First Drive: Tack Sharp, Racing Focused

Corvette REALLY needs put out a PURE track oriented C8 . The way the Z06 is gonna be, its gonna be a mix of a pure track car AND a GT car.   Too many features on the Z06 that favour comfort cruising rather than tracking.  The Z06 will be a killer track car, and it will be track car focused like no other Corvette ever engineered. It will probably have a sub 7 second 'Ring time.  It will punch above its price point.  But the Z06 will still not be that pure, raw track car. 

THIS is my wish for the Corvette. To have many many variants for all the flavours. To have a DIRECT competitor with EVERY SINGLE Porsche 911 and Cayman.  

Yes. I realize that this means 100 versions of the C8.  Porsche does it. I want Corvette to do it too. 

Yes. I realize that Porsche is a company within a company  and a brand and Corvette is just one model within the Chevrolet brand within the company General Motors. 

Maybe though, in an EV world, many variants of a Corvette is not possible as EVs will look liek they will all be the same flavour.  Battery on the bottom of the platform in a skateboard platform. Dual, tri motor set-ups. 4 motor set-ups for off roaders.  Power in an EV seems to be the same.  Software programming seems to be getting to be the same...

Imagin the Corvett with the Tri-motor 1,000 hp system from the hummer with new Solid-State Ultium battery pack for lower weight, higher energy density. That would destroy everyone I think.

1 hour ago, David said:

Imagin the Corvett with the Tri-motor 1,000 hp system from the hummer with new Solid-State Ultium battery pack for lower weight, higher energy density. That would destroy everyone I think.

Lower weight is only relative to current battery packs. They'll still weigh A LOT more than the current Vette.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Lower weight is only relative to current battery packs. They'll still weigh A LOT more than the current Vette.

Yes, very true, but putting it into perspective, the current Vette has balsa wood inside the chassis to allow for lite weight but a bit stronger / rigid frame. So, we replace that combo with Carbon Fiber for even less weight and with the use of Solid-State batteries, which are supposed to cut in half the size of the existing Lithium-Ion battery packs, I see no reason to not go from the current 1,000 lbs 100kWh pack to a 500 lb or bit less 100 kWh pack. 

Just as we have seen weight saving in the full size truck and SUV market due to new tech uses of special metal, I can see this also happening in the Corvette / Camaro for performance but from a carbon fiber / Solid-State battery approach. BMW did it with the i8 and i3 and I think GM could do this with a Corvette E

36 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

GM marketing is so bad that they'd name it CorvEttE

Or CorEVette to emphasize the EV angle... or something like Corvette Z-0EV

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

GM marketing is so bad that they'd name it CorvEttE

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Or CorEVette to emphasize the EV angle... or something like Corvette Z-0EV

Worse yet is if they go Corvette-EV Z-06

12 hours ago, David said:

Ultium is lithium-ion (I know you know this). 
I've read industry insiders saying solid state for production is over 10 years out.

• Thanks 1

Just now, balthazar said:

Ultium is lithium-ion (I know you know this). 
I've read industry insiders saying solid state for production is over 10 years out.

Yes, some have said 10 years out, but I have posted stories especially

Considering that QuantumScape is heavily backed by various Legacy OEMs, 2024 is around the corner when these Solid-State Batteries will go into autos for sale.

Will be interesting to see when they do get delivered.

Yeah, there will not be mass produced automobiles with solid state batteries in 2024. There may be a vehicle or two with low production numbers to get the technology out there but I'd be willing to bet there will not be a Ford or GM product built in 2024 with a solid state battery. 

Ten years-ish out still seems pretty accurate to me.