Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chrysler News: Chrysler Rebirth, Airflow Graphite to lead the way to the future!

David

Chrysler showed off at the January 2022 CES (Consumer Electronics Show) the Airflow Concept in White which we covered in the following story.

CN021_093CHglesot6pr7qgh1e5a87f9t3t7f.jpg

Today Chrysler is now showing the Airflow Graphite, the alter-ego to the Airflow Concept showing Chrysler embodies a new contemporary, tech-forward, sleek, sophisticated package that combines Chrysler Galaxy Black exterior with Cyprus Copper Accents inside and out.

CN022_007CH6a88bjsch8gf6k5tknttlqoft9.jpgCN022_004CHpaq9ak2j09rgonr56mpndir6dc.jpg

This combination of color features throughout the spacious interior, along the panoramic glass roof and continues onto select surfaces of the 22-inch wheels working to create the refined, sophisticated design you see here.

Chrysler had the following points they wanted to make about the Airflow Graphite EV.

• Chrysler reinforces commitment to launch its first battery-electric vehicle (BEV) by 2025 and full battery-electric portfolio by 2028
  • All-electric Chrysler Airflow Concept integrates leading-edge drive-system technology with intuitive AI and connected-vehicle technology that delivers up to 400-mile range and fast-charging functionality
  • Airflow’s seamlessly connected STLA SmartCockpit, powered by STLA Brain, enables an extension of digital, work and home environments, all in sync to create a personalized experience for every passenger
  • Chrysler Airflow’s STLA Brain platform is fully over-the-air (OTA) capable; designed to quickly deliver new and upgraded features and functions that enhance and improve the vehicle throughout the ownership experience
  • The Chrysler Airflow includes STLA AutoDrive to deliver Level 3 autonomous driving capabilities, which will also be upgradable via OTA updates

Chrysler Brand CEO Chris Feuell had this to say about the Airflow Concept:

“This new persona of the Airflow highlights the flexibility of the Chrysler brand’s future design direction and our ability to create personalities reflective of our diverse customers. As our brand evolves to offer a full battery-electric vehicle portfolio, we are completely rethinking and reinventing the customer experience. Project Ingenuity is an initiative in which we collaborate with customers on our future innovations and services, offering uniquely personalized and delightful customer experiences throughout the purchase, service and ownership journey.”

Fully electric and fully connected by 2028 is the roadmap for Chrysler with a fully interactive dash and a sculpted, expressive design that is the future of Chrysler premium transportation and user experience. This is the Chrysler first-class travel experience that balances technological needs within a serene environment.

CN022_005CHgqihj3doeodj0i95pbf4p2phhk.jpg

More photo's of the Airflow Graphic can be looked at here:

The Chrysler Airflow is equipped with STLA AutoDrive, a level 3 autonomous driving capable system with OTA upgradable capability.

This EV features AWD, powered by two 150 kW electric motors (201 hp, total 402 hp), one in the front and one in the rear. This platform is designed to accommodate larger capacity EDMs, offering future high-performance applications. Design is optimized for a perfect weight distribution while maximizing interior space and enabling large wheel size, wide stance and a battery pack designed to achieve 400 plus miles of range on a single charge.

The Airflow first came out under Chrysler from 1934 to 1937 and was the first full size American auto to use streamlining to build an automobile, one less susceptible to air resistance. Yet the public was not yet ready for such a sleek auto and today, the public is embracing the Airflow Concept according to Stellantis.

The first modern Airflow Concept release at the January 2022 Consumer Electric Show was their white Airflow concept, images here:

The dynamic design language of the Chrysler Airflow Graphite Concept leaves no small detail behind as the Chrysler wing logo ties a cross-car grille light blade illuminated with Crystal LED Lighting. This crystal LED lighting runs the full width of the vehicle, accentuating the wide stance of the Airflow. The Airflow features welcome, departure and animated lighting, including a unique aqua that signifies the vehicle is charging.

CN021_093CHglesot6pr7qgh1e5a87f9t3t7f.jpg

More details will be released as Chrysler moved closer to production and release of this auto.

CN021_089CHaobobj7d791qtj8orq9u6je7qg.jpgCN021_025CHk8b4ap26fogm6mijeamfqpg3on.jpg

CN021_013CHjd3h2ngp96gs91u0g216159uhs.jpg

More Details on the original Airflow can be gleaned here: Chrysler Airflow - Wikipedia

View full article

Looks kind of like a Kia EV6 with a Chevy front end.  Still 3 years away and who knows what their production volume will be.  Nothing really new here, what would be ground breaking in the EV segment is to have vehicles in dealer lots rather than this order now and get it in 6-8 months model that exists now.

Also not sure Stellantis even has a level 2 system so promising level 3 is big step.

11 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Looks kind of like a Kia EV6 with a Chevy front end.  Still 3 years away and who knows what their production volume will be.  Nothing really new here, what would be groundbreaking in the EV segment is to have vehicles in dealer lots rather than this order now and get it in 6-8 months model that exists now.

Also, not sure Stellantis even has a level 2 system so promising level 3 is big step.

So just like Mercedes, Vaporware as nothing is on the dealer lots yet. 

Fact is that Stellantis already does have a level 3 system that is testing across Europe where they sell far more EVs than Mercedes. 

This must hurt since Mercedes is not even in the top 5 globally.

World’s Top 5 EV Automotive Groups Ranked By Sales: 2021 (insideevs.com)

Plug-in car sales in Q1-Q4 2021 (vs previous year):

1. Tesla: 936,172 and 14.4% share (vs 16%)
  2. Volkswagen Group: 757,994 and 11.7% share (vs 13%)
  3. SAIC (incl. SAIC-GM-Wuling): 683,086 and 10.5% share
  4. BYD: 593,878 and 9.1% share
  5. Stellantis: 360,953 and 5.6% share

Top 5 total: 3,332,083 (51.3% share)
others: 3,163,305 (48.7% share)
Total: 6,495,388

I think it looks good and all but all this is is a "hey, don't forget about me!" from Chrysler. 

Still three years off? Too much will change from everybody else to care about this one now. 

4 hours ago, David said:

So the Hummer EV is vaporware because you don't see them on dealer lots? 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

It's sharp, I like the black w/ copper trim.  The profile and general shape reminds me a bit of the DS5.

The squircle steering wheel seems like an unintentional retro reference back to the 1960 Plymouth.

Edited by Robert Hall

4 hours ago, David said:

Fact is that Stellantis already does have a level 3 system that is testing across Europe where they sell far more EVs than Mercedes. 

This must hurt since Mercedes is not even in the top 5 globally.

World’s Top 5 EV Automotive Groups Ranked By Sales: 2021 (insideevs.com)

Plug-in car sales in Q1-Q4 2021 (vs previous year):

1. Tesla: 936,172 and 14.4% share (vs 16%)
  2. Volkswagen Group: 757,994 and 11.7% share (vs 13%)
  3. SAIC (incl. SAIC-GM-Wuling): 683,086 and 10.5% share
  4. BYD: 593,878 and 9.1% share
  5. Stellantis: 360,953 and 5.6% share

Top 5 total: 3,332,083 (51.3% share)
others: 3,163,305 (48.7% share)
Total: 6,495,388

I don’t count plug in hybrid as EV and that’s what Stellantis has.  

12 hours ago, regfootball said:

have had 3 of them in a row; its a solid motor smooth great mpg no issues.

I would like that 6 cylinder turbo they have in a future vehicle.

I’ve had no issues w/ the 3.6 in my JGC.  I’m intrigued by the upcoming 3.6 turbo also.  

I see that the "fastback" look that crept up on sedans is creeping up on CUVs now.

I also see that CUVs are looking less and less like truckish things and are looking more like high, very high belt line  sedans with fastback C pillar stylings.  

I also see that this new design philosophy for CUVs is emulating 1930s  streamline sedans...

1935 CHRYSLER AIRFLOW SEDAN - Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - World's  Greatest Collector Car Auctions

1939 BUICK SERIES 40 4-DOOR SEDAN

1938 Pontiac Sedan | G75 | Indianapolis 2013

Chrysler Airflow: Stellantis Showcases A Comeback Crossover At CES - Forbes  Wheels

2023 Cadillac Lyriq Said To Enter Production On March 21

So far, I only see Chrysler and Cadillac to do a fastback sedan look CUV emulating 1930s streamliners  Others are  doing a high belt, but they are doing away with the truckish look and going for full on sedan look. Pure modern aero.

Kia's new EV6 electric crossover goes straight to the head of the pack |  Ars Technica

Citroen C4X

New Citroën ë-C4 X, an electric car that mixes segments and that will be  manufactured in Spain | EVspias

This new Airflow is handsome enough.  

I wonder why our vehicles today and for the last 20 years need to have such high belt lines.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Side impact standards.

I thought so.   Head-on and off set collision standards too, maybe?

I think to a small degree,  its a styling thing, too. Our society has been in chaos the last 20 years, Id like to also believe its a bunker mentality styling thing as well.

29 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I thought so.   Head-on and off set collision standards too, maybe?

I think to a small degree,  its a styling thing, too. Our society has been in chaos the last 20 years, Id like to also believe its a bunker mentality styling thing as well.

Definitely.   I definitely noticed the higher belt lines, smaller side and rear windows, much thicker pillars, larger side mirrors when I went from an ‘00 JGC to a ‘14 JGC a few years ago.  

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Isnt the Pentastar 3.6 (and rumour has it the Hemi V8s also) going away in favour of an inline 3.0 liter 6 in twin turbo guise at its highest level as a stop gap before going all EV?

My understanding, at least in the near term, is that the inline TT6 is replacing the V8s.  The 3.6 Pentastar will remain.... 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Making the Airflow an Edge / Blazer competitor and putting the 3.6 in it instead of EV makes more sense to Chrysler in terms of remaining relevant.

But otherwise I have no issue whatsoever with this being an EV and it will be a good EV entrant.  It just does far less for Stellantis' success as an EV than it does plugging a hole in their marketing offerings to a big volume segment.

On 8/14/2022 at 12:42 PM, Robert Hall said:

My understanding, at least in the near term, is that the inline TT6 is replacing the V8s.  The 3.6 Pentastar will remain.... 

I think the article states that the V8s are going away.  Not the Charger and Challenger per se.

So...a TT inline 6 with 400-500 HP, a much much lighter engine package up front will make for a very very interesting type of muscle car.    

I may still have a hole in my soul with the end of a Hellcat V8 Challenger, but a TT inline 6 Challenger still speaks to me very seductively. 

And eventually EV motive power...

Im even more excited to see where and what Dodge muscle will go and do for the EV era.

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

I think the article states that the V8s are going away.  Not the Charger and Challenger per se.

So...a TT inline 6 with 400-500 HP, a much much lighter engine package up front will make for a very very interesting type of muscle car.    

I may still have a hole in my soul with the end of a Hellcat V8 Challenger, but a TT inline 6 Challenger still speaks to me very seductively. 

And eventually EV motive power...

Im even more excited to see where and what Dodge muscle will go and do for the EV era.

Every article I read is different.  From what I've read, the V8 is going away, and the trucks and SUVs are  getting a TT inline 6 to replace it.  The Challenger and Charger are going away completely, replaced by an EV muscle car.   Or something like that.

• Sad 1

Im saddened by the fact that an inline TT6 is going to a SUV.  Much wasted potential for sport sedan and muscle car buffoonery going to shytty appliance CUVs and useless pick-up trucks. 

I mean an ecoboosted V6 Ford Raptor was cool and all, until the Hellcat powered TRX showed up and Ford went V8...  Now, Dodge reverses that trend???  

Im down with EV muscle for Charger and Challenger.  I understand the reasoning behind the V8s going away.  But I think it could be kinda cool if a stop gap TTV6 Challenger and Charger would be available.

Maybe Dodge wants us to forget about ICE Challengers and Chargers for awhile until they come back as EVs and when they do  come back as EVs, we will be greatfully in awe...

24 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im saddened by the fact that an inline TT6 is going to a SUV.  Much wasted potential for sport sedan and muscle car buffoonery going to shytty appliance CUVs and useless pick-up trucks. 

Trucks and SUVs are where the market and profits are... and they have very good SUVs--these engines will be going in the Grand Cherokee, Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer (and maybe the next gen Durango?), presumably the Ram also.   I could see myself shopping for a WL GC w/ the TT6 in a few years. 

I am definitely going to miss the Charger and Challenger, but sadly the market for muscle cars is very small and shrinking, I believe...:(

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

SUVs are where the market and profits are.

yeah...  I acknowldge this.   I reluctantly accept it though.  I shoudnt deny it though.  Like I said, it has been like this for quite awhile...

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

and they have very good SUVs--these engines will be going in the Grand Cherokee, Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer (and maybe the next gen Durango?)

I agree. Chryco SUVs are great SUVs.  Im just bummed that what it seems to be a great inline 6, from a conglomerate consisting of automotive companies that know how to do 6 cylinder engines right from Peugeot to Maserati to Alfa Romeo to Chrysler themselves, I see it as a wasted opportunity to not explore the avenue of a TT inline 6 sedan or coupe.  

Just like GM with its Atlas I6 that was rotted away with the GMT360s.   

So be it.

17 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I could see myself shopping for a WL GC w/ the TT6 in a few years. 

And here I am, whining about nothing as I, want my next purchases to be EVs.  My wife and I really want to get off gasoline. 

At least with you, you are staying with gasoline for a tad longer.  You have legit reasons as to want to know the future of ICE within the brand (Jeep) that you choose to stay with and what ICE they choose to go with. 

I on the other hand, want nothing to do with SUVs, but understand I may not have a choice to go that route, but most importantly, I and the wife have all but abandoned the gasoline engine.  We will keep our current ICE cars as long as it takes and switch as soon as a viable EV comes along.  Next year?  The year after that?   The next?   Our next new purchase WILL be EVs no questions asked.   Our ICE days are over and it stays with our current rides.  2012 Acura TL and 2013 Ford Fusion.  

1 minute ago, oldshurst442 said:

And here I am, whining about nothing as I, want my next purchases to be EVs.  My wife and I really want to get off gasoline. 

At least with you, you are staying with gasoline for a tad longer.  You have legit reasons as to want to know the future of ICE within the brand (Jeep) that you choose to stay with and what ICE they choose to go with. 

I'm in no rush to go to an EV.  Maybe in 15 years when I'm thinking about retirement.   

39 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I am definitely going to miss the Charger and Challenger, but sadly the market for muscle cars is very small and shrinking, I believe...:(

I'm in no rush to go to an EV.  Maybe in 15 years when I'm thinking about retirement.   

As will I.  To miss the (now, even though they are still in production and for another year) classic muscle cars Challenger and Charger.  

Hopefully an EV muscle car named Charger comes along in a decent amount of time to where I could have it for winter driving as well.  Ill be happy with that.  

If not, a Mustang Mach E is calling my name...

The wife likes the renders of the Equinox EV.  Im selling her on Ultium. 

Edited by oldshurst442

This may be the only way to save Chrysler from complete irrelevance.  A LOT of people will want an EV in within the next five years or so.  The fact that the V8 is being replaced by a TTV6 AND the Charger/Challenger/300? are being discontinued point to a EV future.  I like the Airflow concept.  I am not sure how much of it will make to a production vehicle, but we will see.

On 8/17/2022 at 4:48 PM, riviera74 said:

This may be the only way to save Chrysler from complete irrelevance.  A LOT of people will want an EV in within the next five years or so.  The fact that the V8 is being replaced by a TTV6 AND the Charger/Challenger/300? are being discontinued point to a EV future.  I like the Airflow concept.  I am not sure how much of it will make to a production vehicle, but we will see.

Chrysler says much of what you see in the Airflow is already production ready to about 90%, gonna be interesting to see later this fall the production version and compare plus final specifications for the EV.