Oldsmobile Photos

:) If anyone has any unique Olds related pictures, not just everyday cars but, internal factory pictures, employee related pictures, Concept cars, one of a kind cars, Olds sponsored events etc., lets start posting them. I am personally building up a photo file to help keep Olds in the spotlight for decades if possible. I will eventually will have a large picture board made up for the Olds Club of America.

Poke around the Lounge and in the Olds forum... you'll find a few

neat threads. I've got some interesting stuff I'll scan in sometime

soon from my many books.

Harley's back from the dead!!! :D

You seen my Sixty4 Olds yet? You of all people will enjoy it.

Guest YellowJacket894

Here's the Olds Aurora on the cover of C&D, April 1994:

Posted Image

Here's the LSS in an ad spot:

Posted Image

Think I better add these to this month's installment of "In Retrospect", too.

Harley's back from the dead!!! :D

You seen my Sixty4 Olds yet? You of all people will enjoy it.

Hey Sly!....no haven't seen the new Olds aquisition. Show me!

This is a '54 Citroen.....anyone know what it has to do with GM and Oldsmobile?

(It's a photo of the actual car)

Posted Image

Edited by HarleyEarl

This French '54 Citroen Traction Avant, powered by a 15-hp six, was a taxicab in Paris when it was purchased by General Motors. GM engineers took it apart to help in their design of the Oldsmobile Toronado, GM's first front-drive car. GM Vice President Bud Goodman drove the car for a while, then sold it in 1970-71 to Gilliam Clark, Matthew Clark's father. Note the front suicide doors.

This French '54 Citroen Traction Avant, powered by a 15-hp six, was a taxicab in Paris when it was purchased by General Motors. GM engineers took it apart to help in their design of the Oldsmobile Toronado, GM's first front-drive car. GM Vice President Bud Goodman drove the car for a while, then sold it in 1970-71 to Gilliam Clark, Matthew Clark's father. Note the front suicide doors.

Correct. Great bit of Olds history.

Guest YellowJacket894

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now wait just one second here. I remember a discussion here that was more or less heated, and I posted that the Olds Toronado front-drive design was influenced by the Traction Avant. Yet, somehow, everyone said it was the Cord roadsters of the '30s.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

This is a Toronado Airport Limo that was at the Olds Club National Meet in Dallas around the 4th of July. The owner says that there were about 150 built, but does not know how many remain.

165214[/snapback]

Damn I wish I could have been there - I have been to a nationals in a couple of years now... (1998 in Springfield, IL my last one?)

I am glad to see some Toro's like that managed to survive - although could be call that a Vista roof?

Now wait just one second here. I remember a discussion here that was more or less heated, and I posted that the Olds Toronado front-drive design was influenced by the Traction Avant. Yet, somehow, everyone said it was the Cord roadsters of the '30s.

161509[/snapback]

both influenced it alot more design from the outside from the cord more mechanical from the Traction Avant since it had "newer Technology". Also that converstaion started as who invented FWD. then the topic got changed or somthing.

Posted Image

notice the hidden head lights, long front end, and horizontal grille. Also how the fenders stick out infront of the grille.

Now look at the 66 ( :wub: fo me!!) the first year of the Toronado. look at all the key design elements as i listed above.

Posted Image

[Also i love the picture in my sig!!]

Guest YellowJacket894

Olds Aerotech 2 Sketch:

Posted Image

Olds Aerotech 3 Sketches:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Iteldesign Oldsmobile Incas Sketch:

Posted Image

Olds Expression Sketch:

Posted Image

Olds Anthem Sketch:

Posted Image

Edited by YellowJacket894

This was a Toronado used to push cars in parking lots etc. picture is from 1982 OCA Nationals.

I was there!! (Of course I was like 1 year old but whatever - Plus I have seen the car a couple of times since)

Where did that mysterious California Trofeo go? :hissyfit:

Another Antares rendering...

Posted Image

1994 Aurora showcar with split lower fascia, all-glass roof, different wheels, and integrated Guidestar navigation. Note where the controls for the navigation screen are located; BMW seems to have...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anthem: very cool, like it more than many production Olds cars

taht used that styling. I forgot how much the Achieva looked

like its concept car counterpart.

This is a 1950 Olds custom.  It has to be one of the nicest I've seen.

171476[/snapback]

Nice, except I hate frenched headlights & aero style

body color mirrors on cars that should have chrome

mirrors with that 50s look ornate stem & bezel.

• 1 month later...

Wow, that race car is so cool.

Fly, I love the minor changes on that '94 Aurora show car. The front fascia, imo, is much nicer than the production version. The Vista Roof is very cool, and the rims appear to be close to the Final 500 Silhouette rims.

The chassis of that Toro limo is a lot like the one under the 1970's GMC MotorHome. [one in movie 'Stripes'] It had the FWD train, had dual wheels in rear too.

165625[/snapback]

That's because they were one and the same, I believe. Also, great pics and discussion-I also remember in my Standard Catalog of American Trucks, 1896-1986 by Krause Publications, Oldsmobile and Buick had commercial chassis and 'Flower Car' body styles-I know Oldsmobile also had a Sedan Delivery up until about 1950 (I don't remember if Buick ever had one or not), and the Olds Toronado also later, circa 1973-78, lent its chassis not only to those 1970's GMC Motorhomes (heavily advertised in magazines such as National Geographic), but also to Flower Cars-I haven't read my book in a while, but I'll have to check those out when I get a chance. Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS