Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Smart cars in the U.S.

Guest YellowJacket894

I'd take a Roadster. But, other than that, they can keep the ForTwo. Sure it's something of a novelty, but I just flat out hate the damn thing.

I still think it's a great idea as a second car. If you drive more than 20 miles to work, you don't want to take the van/SUV/wagon all the time... so what's wrong with having a Tahoe and a Fortwo??

You look like a huge hypocrite.

You look like a huge hypocrite.

Only to those that view every automotive purchase as a political statement.

Yellow_Dart's idea is a good one, especially if your large SUV is/is almost paid off. What's wiser financially, taking a massive hit trading it in for an 'efficient' hybrid, or buying a used, affordable, efficient second car for commuting - maybe not a SMART, but a Focus, Cobalt/Cavalier, Corolla, Civic, etc. That way, you're using the right vehicle for the right task (SUV - roadtrips, towing, getting big things/Compact - commuting, shopping, etc).

It's good news... the US needs more fashionable small cars.

I predict a sort of "MINI" style success here.

People will flock to this thing for the sheer novelty of it.

You can guarantee that DCX will keep supply at a minimum enough level to make the deal pencil....and to keep demand strong.

They may not even make money on SMART......but the press they will get, both from the media, and the public, is priceLESS.

Yellow_Dart's idea is a good one, especially if your large SUV is/is almost paid off. What's wiser financially, taking a massive hit trading it in for an 'efficient' hybrid, or buying a used, affordable, efficient second car for commuting - maybe not a SMART, but a Focus, Cobalt/Cavalier, Corolla, Civic, etc. That way, you're using the right vehicle for the right task (SUV - roadtrips, towing, getting big things/Compact - commuting, shopping, etc).

Bingo! I think Yellow Dart's idea is spot on. That's exactly why I would consider one too. Some people need a large car, truck, or SUV for certain occasions (large family, long road trips, employment trade, boat, horses, etc...) but don't need one all the time. I actually thought about the Aveo as a 3rd vehicle for that exact reason (for about 2 seconds) because of the 0/72 event, but realized it didn't apply to the new '07 model. Oh well. I currently drive well below 10k a year anyways... so I'm not really concerned about my gas budget breaking me.

Uhmm not to nit pick but the article is two days old already... :stupid:

Oh, I understand.

But maybe not everyone has access to a newspaper or cares enough to notice.

I saw my first (in public) smart fortwo in Auburn, Indiana at the Auburn Cord Duesenburg Museum. It was dark blue and silver. Although weird, I like it.

The few times there have been some SMARTs at the Crystal Cove (Newport Bch, CA.) car show, people have flocked around it like Paris Hilton lying naked on a sandy beach.....

Funny when you consider all the exotics and hot rods at this show every Saturday....

One time, there was even a SMART CrossBlade....!

I'm assuming it's DCX guys bringing the SMARTs to the show....as they usually have CA Mfg plates on them.

would you be comfortable driving in that sardine can with a myriad soccer moms putting on make up, talking on their cell phones ,driving 2+ ton SUV's just waiting to plow into you.

Such is the sad reality of moden automobility.

As it's always been, you trade size and safety for fuel economy. However, a lot more people these days seem more interested in size and safety.

If the Smarts can get 4-5 star safety ratings for their class, then they'll sell.

---

And soccer moms? For the love of all things holy, please get a regular WAGON and a speaker phone! And if you couldn't get yourself to look good after 5 minutes of makeup in the house, there's no saving your appearance.

The good news is every manufacturer still has a wagon or hatchback of some sort. Well, except Honda and Nissan, minus their SUV offerings:

Dodge Magnum

Dodge Caliber

Ford Freestyle (as short-lived as it may be)

Mazda6 Hatchback

Chevy Malibu MAXX

Chevy HHR

Pontiac Vibe

Toyota Matrix

Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

Engine type 3-cylinder inline cdi turbo diesel with rear mounted charge-air cooling

Displacement 799 cc

Net power 40 hp @ 4,200 rpm

Net torque 74 lb-ft @ 1,800 - 2,800 rpm

Bore x stroke 65.5 x 79.0 mm

Boost pressure control Mechanical

Maximum charge pressure 1.15 bar

Compression ratio 18.5:1

Fuel delivery Common rail direct injection

CO2 emissions 90 g/km

Maximum speed 135 km/h

Acceleration, 0-100 km/h 19.8 seconds

Engine position Rear

Transmission type softip - sequential 6-speed transmission

softouch - automatic gear program with kickdown function (option)

Required fuel Diesel

Fuel economy City estimate: 4.6 l/100 km

Highway estimate: 3.7 l/100 km (manual)

3.8 l/100 km (automatic)

Combined estimate: 4.2 l/100 km

Brakes/dynamic handling control system electronic stability program (esp®) with hill holder; anti-lockbraking system (abs) with electronic brake-force distribution;acceleration skid control; brake assist;dual-circuit brake systemwith servo-assistance; disk brakes at front, drum brakes at rear

Wheels/tires, front 4 J x 15

145/65 R 15

Wheels/tires, rear 5.5 J x 15

175/55 R 15

Vehicle length/width/height 2,500 / 1,515 / 1,549 mm

Turning circle 8.7 m

Track width front/rear 1,275 / 1,354 mm

Wheelbase 1,812 mm

Curb weight (without driver)/safe load 730 / 260 kg

Permissible total weight 990 kg

Luggage compartment capacity waistline: 150 litres

roof: 260 litres

Fuel tank capacity 22 litres (5-litre reserve)

Warranty New car warranty: 48 months or 80,000 km, whichever occurs first. Adjustment period: 12 months or 20,000 km, whichever occurs first.

Emission warranty: 24 months or 40,000 km, whichever occurs first. On certain parts, 96 months or 130,000 km, whichever occurs first.

Surface corrosion: 48 months or 80,000 km, whichever occurs first.

Perforation: 60 months unlimited km.

Smart Fourtwo coupe look at the fuel wconomy in the city thats only about 36 miles/gallon not that impressive for such a sacrafice 0-60 in 19.8 seconds. If you ask me this thing is a joke.

Yep. It's not a crazy idea at all. A friend of mine owns a club cab Dodge Ram, but he keeps a Corolla as his commuter car.

Combined estimate: 4.2 l/100 km

Smart Fourtwo coupe look at the fuel wconomy in the city thats only about 36 miles/gallon not that impressive for such a sacrafice 0-60 in 19.8 seconds. If you ask me this thing is a joke.

4.2 l/100 km is 56 mpg.

edit: sorry, you said city, which is 4.6 l/100 km, or 51 mpg.

Edited by the_yellow_dart

WWF street match! SUBURBAN vs. SMART

WHICH ONE WILL WIN THE ULTIMATE FACE OFF?

if I can get a smart for 4995 and its guaranteed to keep my kid alive in the event of a shopping cart attack, maybe.

There is really no point to anything smaller than a Fit or Cobalt, or Yaris or Focus on our soils, except in the inner city realm. And I suppose delivering flowers and pizzas.

The plastic bodied concept car Chrysler put out a couple years ago would hold as much promise IMHO.

The Smart is cute and all, and I'm fine with it being sold here, I just think its kinda irrelevent considering our spread out real estate and mass proliferation of 4-6000 pound vehicles and semis that would easily destroy it in a crash. I see no point ot it unless you can routinely and real world get 50+ mpg and even then, get a Prius instead.

this is why i own a silverado and a motorcycle...

<_< These Auto's are already being sold here. There is a company in Kirkland Washington that is selling the smart cars. I see a number of them here on the east side and around Redmond.

UGLY :puke: these Coffins on Wheels need to be kept out. The last thing we need is more ugly, slow death box's. IMO :censored:

<_<  These Auto's are already being sold here.  There is a company in Kirkland Washington that is selling the smart cars.  I see a number of them here on the east side and around Redmond.

UGLY :puke: these Coffins on Wheels need to be kept out.  The last thing we need is more ugly, slow death box's. IMO  :censored:

Could you see one of these heading out on Hwy 101 around Port Angeles or Forks and meeting up with one of our many logging trucks? Heck, the ruts in many of our secondary highways would make steering something that small and light a major job. No thanks. My Metro is small enough, I won't go smaller.

4.2 l/100 km is 56 mpg.

edit: sorry, you said city, which is 4.6 l/100 km, or 51 mpg.

one gallon is 3.78 liters 3.78/4.6 =..82

.82 x 100km = 82 km

one mile is 1.6 km 82/1.6=51.25

damn you're right must have screwed up somewhere, see if the people i worked with wouldnt iterrupt me while i am not doing my work this wouldnt happen.Still I hate these things

I don't feel that smart cars are irrelevant.

The U.S. regulations are majorly flawed in that they only address emissions and not consumption as well- as is in Europe. It complete and utter lunacy that is long as something can pass regulation ULEV Bin 3 Tier 2 or what-not, it's okay to sell here... who cares if it only gets 3 miles/gallon?

U.S. safety regulations should be more like those of Europe, and Europe should be more like us in regarding pedestrian saftey... who cares? If you get hit by a car for walking out in front of it, then you should (and will) be hurt regardless. It would have been nice if behemoth SUV's could have been prohibited.

Fuel efficient vehicles will become more and more popular as fuel prices continue to rise. For those who don't want the idiosyncracies of a hybrid powerplant, a conventional diesel/small petrol engine is definitely okay.

Actually the SMART is much peppier than the 19.8 second time sounds.

The problem is the slow and sluggish shifting from the sequential manual tranny. If the thing had a conventional 5 or 6-speed manual with a clutch, you'd probably see WAY faster acceleration times.

The way the tranny draws out the upshifts adds DRAMATICALLY to instrumented acceleration times.

Have you ever driven one? I lived in one for 4 days in Northern Italy last summer. I had the ForFour because I told the chick at the counter that, as an American, the ForTwo scared the crap out of me. She smiled and gave me the ForFour edition.

It's all right. I don't think it gets THAT much better mileage than anything we currently have. I don't know about the mechanics. Heck...it could be a "throw away" car. One thing is for sure: the automatic transmission technology is appallingly bad....the damn thing has a pause so pronounced at upshifts, you'd think you were going to stall.

I couldn't believe it...I had 4 automatic transes in econoboxes over there and the quality of the driving experience bordered on almost horrible in each car as a result of the automatic. It had better have an improved trans if it is to make any inroads on this side of the pond.

Have you ever driven one?  I lived in one for 4 days in Northern Italy last summer. I had the ForFour because I told the chick at the counter that, as an American, the ForTwo scared the crap out of me.  She smiled and gave me the ForFour edition.

It's all right.  I don't think it gets THAT much better mileage than anything we currently have.  I don't know about the mechanics.  Heck...it could be a "throw away" car.  One thing is for sure:  the automatic transmission technology is appallingly bad....the damn thing has a pause so pronounced at upshifts, you'd think you were going to stall. 

I couldn't believe it...I had 4 automatic transes in econoboxes over there and the quality of the driving experience bordered on almost horrible in each car as a result of the automatic.  It had better have an improved trans if it is to make any inroads on this side of the pond.

it can't be worse than a typical FORD automatic tranny

does it at least downshift?

Edited by regfootball

it can't be worse than a typical FORD automatic tranny

does it at least downshift?

Much worse. My first place in one was leaving the Porto, Portugal airport lot and merging on a ramp. I thought to myself "what the f*** is this?". I was tempted to bring it (and all of them) back for a manual...and anyone who knows me knows I don't like to shift any more.

Have you ever driven one?  I lived in one for 4 days in Northern Italy last summer. I had the ForFour because I told the chick at the counter that, as an American, the ForTwo scared the crap out of me.  She smiled and gave me the ForFour edition.

It's all right.  I don't think it gets THAT much better mileage than anything we currently have.  I don't know about the mechanics.  Heck...it could be a "throw away" car.  One thing is for sure:  the automatic transmission technology is appallingly bad....the damn thing has a pause so pronounced at upshifts, you'd think you were going to stall. 

I couldn't believe it...I had 4 automatic transes in econoboxes over there and the quality of the driving experience bordered on almost horrible in each car as a result of the automatic.  It had better have an improved trans if it is to make any inroads on this side of the pond.

The FourFour is not to be confused with the FourTwo.

The FourFour is based off of the same platform/architecture as the (overseas) Mitsubishi Colt. The engines and transmissions are shared with the Mitsu.

The FourTwo is an exclusive SMART/DCX design.

And yes, the sequential manual sucks in the FourTwo. I believe the seq.manual is an option in the FourFour as well. Is that the transmission you had in yours? Because it does offer an "automatic" mode and it's none too smooth.....

At least the FourFour offers a traditional "3-pedal" manual as an option.

There's two of these things in Nashua, NH already...

the ForTwo or what ever the hell it's called in the USA.

I saw the white one yesterday.

Posted Image

Like many complaints in driving cars, this one may be solved with a manual transmission.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Motor Trend says that the SMART's won't be here until early 2008 when the next fortwo debuts.

In there first year here in Canada they sold 4000 Smart cars, more than 3 times their initial estimate. I see them everywhere. They have almost become cult status here. I almost wonder if they are the new 'Beetle'...same essence of that iconic original.

Intriguing idea.

It could be the "new" cult car.

After my friend Lyndsey went to Rome, she has been obsessed over the smarts.