Detroit Preview: Ford's Performance Showing

There's a new ST and possibly a new Mustang Bullitt

Many of us thought that Ford's showing at the Detroit Auto Show would be the upcoming Ranger. But it seems the blue oval has other plans.

First up, Ford is teasing a new ST model. In a video dropped on various social media outlets, the former Stig, Ben Collins is seen walking past various performance models including the GT and Raptor. He then stops at a mysterious ST model. Guesses about the new ST range from the new Focus ST to possibly a crossover - the EcoSport and Edge being prime contenders.

But that's not all. Automotive News has learned that Ford will be debuting a new version of Mustang Bullitt. Rumors about this have been going around since last year when spy shots caught a dark green Mustang taking part in a commercial being filmed in Chicago.

"We don’t have any Mustang news to share today but we love the interest in America’s favorite muscle car," said Ford spokesman Mike Levine when asked about the Bullitt.

Source: Ford, Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Chicago's significance has deteriorated greatly over the last 4 years (...looks at 2018 Detroit schedule and starts the clock).

I highly doubt they would do both in Chicago.... possibly even neither.   Ford has taken to doing their reveals independent of the auto shows lately.  It can cost $300k to do a reveal that lasts 20 minutes during an auto show.

I certainly understand them questioning the economics of that, but their tactics to combat it have been frustrating to us journalists.

As much a Ford guy as I am, I couldn't agree more that they have been a little off on some of their marketing.

That said, my interest was piqued here!

Since I doubt they will (and I certainly could be wrong) user an ST name for the Ranger, I would think it may be for the upcoming EcoSport...?

4 minutes ago, lengnert said:

Lets do some process of elimination sleuthing.

Fiesta is dead man walking, Focus has an ST so possibly some update there, Fusion has the Sport, Taurus is dead man walking and has the SHO.

Ecosport is too new and the rear hatch cutline doesn't match the above video. Same for the hatch of the Escape. Edge? Now there's an idea, but it's a rather old model at this point. The cutline might work on the Explorer, but they won't do an ST with a new Explorer coming so soon.

So maybe an updated Focus ST (Focus wasn't shown in the video) with the Edge as the wildcard.

Lets do some process of elimination sleuthing.

I won't argue with the above.

And, Scout, I am not enamored with the name EcoSport either, but at least Ford didn't resurrect the name Probe!

P.S. I owned two Probes for full disclosure, and really liked both, but the name is ripe for ridicule?  Lol

21 minutes ago, lengnert said:

It's not the Eco sport I have a problem with. It's the greenie we're speachal and good to the earth image the companies want the general population to associate with it. It's stupid!  To be fair I have the same problem with Mazdas sky BS, the eco Leaf BS from Nissan, and or any greenie we are saving the world BS from all manufacture's. It became popular several years ago, and hasn't gone away. Though some makes have lightened up. Unfortunately in Ford's case, the eco boost is so prevalent that they seem to be stuck. Also, in Ford's case, as so many others have already pointed out, you can have eco or boost but not both. Making it that much more stupid.

1 minute ago, Scout said:

I will agree with that.

But, I have a good deal of experience with the EB engine. I have put many miles one a few EB panel vans that a company I work with rents (we go through Penske and get trucks weekly). While it is true that if you dig into the go pedal like you are trying to win every stoplight race, you will get V8 comparable mileage. However, there is no way I can get as good of mpg's from the V8 trucks we primarily get from them (whether they be Ford or GM), when I drive more conservatively. It isn't even close.

And the power delivery is as good or better than the V8's I drive from either make.

But yes, I would have been happier personally, if Ford would have gone with the moniker "TwinForce" for the EB (like they contemplated using in Lincoln EB models) engined vehicles across all lines.  They could have still have mentioned the mileage gains but emphasized the power factor primarily.

ST I know has been used as a trim level but it could also be the badge for one of their EV's that they could show off.

EcoBoost ST is a cool sounding name for an EV Auto.

Just now, dfelt said:

EcoBoost ST is a cool sounding name for an EV Auto.

www.notgonnahappen.com

Just now, dfelt said:

EcoBoost ST is a cool sounding name for an EV Auto.

I like where your head's at here!

16 minutes ago, Scout said:

I always find that somewhat ironic because you do get both but you have to choose which at which instance. You can have boost if you want/need boost. You cna have f/e if you want/need f/e.

FWIW, my EcoBoost got sh!t economy 70mph and above. It seemed to drop significantly once you get to 70mph.

As far as the 'green' image of the Ecoboost or EcoSport names, that's really nothing new...in the past Ford and others had names for vehicles and engines that evoked an image of economy and efficiency---Econoline, Thriftmaster, Scotsman, etc...nothing different.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

EcoTech, Bluetech (Blue in Europe = Green in US), Ecomotive (I like this one)

Just imagine all the new EV badges that are going to come out. Be interesting to see if and how they spin the EV lines of auto's.

EcoTech, Bluetech (Blue in Europe = Green in US), Ecomotive (I like this one)

EcoTech is the first one that came to my head as well.

..Leaf.. lol But that's about it with the clever naming.

..Leaf.. lol But that's about it with the clever naming.

I know you can imagen names even if they are just funny takes.

Solar Ray

Solaria

Sprout

Verdous

Virile

Vigor

Stout

Spry

So many options to represent the EV auto's and what would imply green, clean, healthy, etc.

A Transit ST could be cool...lowered, with large wheels/tires, more power.  Get those Amazon packages to the door quicker...

Speaking of package delivery, Monday afternoon I went to the door to pick up packages, and there was a Fed Ex truck, UPS truck, and an Amazon van all in row parked in front of my house, with a postal truck across the street. Should have taken a photo.

15 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

:worthless:

Just Ribbing you my man! :P

And of course I'm standing there w my phone in my pocket...I'm so lazy..I look at the video on my phone from the Ring doorbell before going to the door.

• By dfelt
      20190505_110414-mp4.mp4
      Mother’s Day weekend was a busy one. The kids had planned out the whole Sunday for the wife and I had planned the day before to build an area with a raised garden bed for the wife. The raised bed material was bought, the area mapped out and the plan to get up early and rent a truck to pick up cedar chips and black gold compost soil was scheduled.
      Saturday morning went as I expected, up early, quick breakfast and off to be the first in line at the U-Haul rental place. Figured rather than $75 per delivery, two types of material meant $150, why not spend $19.95 for a single day rental of the truck, pick up the material myself and pocket $130 or so.
      U-Haul actually has it to mileage and other fees that made the single days truck rental $55 and change, so not as big as I expected but still roughly a $95 savings.

Surprise was that the truck I got was a new 2019 F150 with V8 that only had 300 miles on the odometer. Having not been in a new Ford pickup in the last couple years, I was excited to see how it drove, what the fit n finish was like and over all materials.
      U-Haul trucks are your base trucks with rubberized floors, dash is all hard plastics yet they still had backup camera and the V8 engine. As such the truck had no problem even loaded down with dirt or the cedar chips moving. Over all ride was decent and I actually really loved the seats as they were very supportive to my large size and yet comfy driving from freeway to local roads, never tiring to the body. Radio was a basic am/fm with a base pair of stereo speakers. Decent and functional.

Dash being a base truck was hard plastic, as we have seen in many videos about even top of the line Luxury auto’s, the dash did make a big amount of squeak noise. Screen size of the radio system was also very small. Yet as many folks have used the term, the truck was functional.

Fit n Finish was very tight, did not find any large panel gapes or errors in the paint job or exterior body.  I did find the very simple tie down points with already rusting bolts to be a bit surprising but it still worked and the truck had a bed so I did not have to worry about messing the truck bed up. Interesting observation is that when the truck is locked, so is the tailgate, so with a load, I had to always keep the truck unlocked so the tailgate would open and let me unload my chips and soil.
      The V8 engine was very smooth and quiet and the only drawback was the weird auto stop / start. If you’re in normal traffic it works just as GMs systems have worked with turning off and on the engine. Yet sit in one place too long and then release the brake pedal and you get a message on the center dash screen saying you have been stationary too long and must put the transmission in park and then back to drive before engine will start back up. Even with following their directions, it seemed the engine did not want to start back up forcing me to put it into park and then manually starting the truck again.

Other than that single issue, the truck worked and the backup camera was nice to have to get as close as possible to the wife’s new raised veggie garden.

Hit me up with any questions you have about the truck or my project. Yes I did take out the grass the weekend before so my cedar chips are 3-4 inches deep.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford said that it would be cutting a shift from its Essex Engine Plant in Ontario starting in October.  Ford says the move will "better align with consumer demand".  The likely cause? Ford F-150 buyers are shifting more of their purchases away from the 5.0 liter V8.
      F-150 buyers have a choice of 5 engines when selecting a truck, the 2.7-liter Ecoboost, the 3.3-liter V6, the 3.5-liter Ecoboost, and now a 3.0-liter PowerStroke Diesel, all in addition to the 5.0-liter V8, and the customer mix appears to be skewing towards the smaller displacement engines.
      The cut in shifts will not result in job cuts as those workers will be transitioned to another engine plant to build the 7.3-liter engine due to be installed in the 2020 Ford Super Duties. That transition will happen in November of this year.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford reported first quarter operating earnings of $801m, up $160m over the same quarter last year.  The company says that it expects this quarter to be the strongest quarter of the year due to seasonal factors and major product launches later this year.  However, the company says it still expects to finish 2019 better than 2018.
      Outside of North America, Ford is still losing money, but those losses are shrinking.  Ford recently announced a restructuring plan for Europe that included over 6,000 layoffs.
      Also in the earnings report, Ford revealed that the company is subject to a criminal investigation by the Justice Department due to its emissions certifications. We recently reported that Ford had launched its own internal investigation into its emissions certification process.
      Ford's stock rose more than 6% in premarket trading.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Ford's stock rose more than 6% in premarket trading.

There are no registered users currently online