Drew Dowdell

First Impressions: 2020 Toyota Corolla

Swing and a Miss

The common thought today is that the sedan market in the U.S. is dying.  If that's the case, the 2020 Toyota Corolla hasn't given any reasons that it should stick around.

While styling could be considered bolder over the prior model, it is still bland in person. Front and rear facias nearly mirror each other in a Studebaker-like "is it coming or going?" way.  The styling of the interior hasn't changed in any significant way though the materials are somewhat improved.  Mediocre engine choices, unlike the 2020 Kia Soul, leave little to be excited over.  The addition of a hybrid option is interesting, but only for people who think the Prius is too fugly to drive, otherwise, they would just buy the real thing.

The Corolla is the best selling car nameplate in history, but this latest version leaves little reason for that record to continue. In a tough small sedan market, it is going to take more than just more of the same to move the needle.

Dull, conventional, boring..... that's my opinion of the 2020 Corolla

Dull conventional and boring, but some people want an appliance. Kudos to Toyota for being able to profitably build and sell a small car here in the US where GM could not.

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The problem for Toyota is that the Civic does appliance just as well but in a more interesting way. The Mazda 3 does appliance well but in a much more luxurious way. And the Cruze... well.... nevermind about that.

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

....and Yet the Corolla still has a cult following, go figure. Civic and Mazda 3 will be on a short list for replacing the wife's car, Corolla will not.

Will also be interested to see how quiet the new 3 is on the road, something previous 3's have not always excelled at.

And i wish Honda built more Civic Si's.

While I totally agree with you, it might even pick up some sales with the new model.

Less models to battle with now, since the Focus and Cruze will be gone......

5 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Less models to battle with now, since the Focus and Cruze will be gone......

A PERFECT CAR FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE CARS.

25 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

A PERFECT CAR FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE CARS.

Yes, like the Prius.  Just practical, functional, reliable transportation for the 98% of the driving population..

Just now, Robert Hall said:

Although there are passionate Prius owners...I know a few. And it has unique styling and features. The Corrolla is more of an appliance than my dryer.

At least my Dryer, made by Speed Queen, is built from a long standing American company. Props to Dfelt for suggesting that.

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Speaking of appliances, I really like my new GE washer and dryer.   Was an early Xmas present a couple weeks ago.

unnamed.jpg

I am going to do a GE dishwasher as a present to myself also.

In defense of the Corolla, they last forever.  I know some folks who have gotten more than their money's worth.  Now, a timing chain has replaced a timing belt.  It's a boring car, indeed.  However, I'd rather have a Corolla given to me as a mid-size when renting rather than getting a Camry as a full-size when renting.  Of the Japanese full-sizes (in today's terms), the Camry has the vaguest road manners.  The instrument panel on them is also too fussy for short-term "ownership."

I'd much rather have a Chevy Cruze or a Ford Focus than a Corolla.  The Cruze has kept getting better and better from its Cavalier and Cobalt heritage.  I am very saddened by changing consumer preferences in automotive purchases.  I like my coupes and sedans.

2 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I know a guy in Denver that is a multi-millionaire that drives a '94 Corolla he bought new, has a lot of miles on it.  Also has a '98 Tacoma for winter use.  He's not really a car fan, but tight w/ money.

21 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

...and the Corolla is perfect for him.

25 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I feel the same way about the demise for the most part of small sporty cars.

On 11/29/2018 at 1:56 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Sad deal is, the Cruze now, apart from needing a little more go juice is a pretty good small car. And definitely better than a corolla. It’s irritating to see corolla get new duds and Cruze get hammered. If Chevy has out a sexy front end on the current Cruze I think it’s fortunes would be different. 30K sticker prices don’t help either.

When the current Cruze is done and used ones with 20k miles are available for cheap, and gas goes to 5 bucks a gallon like IT WILL. That Cruze will be a good buy for your college kid or a second car for the household.

The price of the Cruze can indeed go too high.  Again, the LT upgrade and no leather wrapped steering wheel?  Come on.

Edited by trinacriabob

^^^^^ they've done that now on the Malibu.  The leather wrap went away on the standard LT.  The RS gets one, but not an option for heated cloth seats.  Heated cloth seats and dual zone now standard on the LT Malibu.  BUT YOU CAN'T CONFIGURE IT WITH CLOTH AND A LEATHER WHEEL ON THE LT TOGETHER.  The RS trim that will appeal to young and sporty buyers and no moonroof optional on that trim.  Who are are the useless dipshits at GM?  I would love it if they could contact me personally and explain some of this stuff.  Like Buick Regal preferred 2 with cloth seats a heated steering wheel is standard but you can't get factory heated seat.  WTF, idiots.  I mean, really Mary.  I can see leaving off the leather wrap wheel on the LS Malibu, but to save 15 bucks of cowhide on the LT version is really flat out comical.

Actually, the fact that on many GM models you have to pay EXTRA for packaged bundled just to get simple blind spot and cross path detection.  Even on some Cadillacs.  How misguided are the planning folks over there?  Safety systems included are a big chance to steal sales from other makers.  Nope, GM don't care.

Toyota can build a bland limp compact sedan and sell the shit out of them, GM wants to be a world player and they can't do something simple and basic like that anymore.

GM has gone astray, think of all the lost opportunities, a real Tesla competitor, a new commercial van chassis, small commercial vans like Ford Transit, on and on.  And they can't even do a small car anymore.  Schooled by Hyundai, Toyota etc.

Edited by regfootball

If it's 'only $15 of leather', then why not request every single vehicle GM makes, including an $18K Spark, have a leather wrapped wheel? I mean; why not, right?

I for one have no desire whatsoever to have 'blind spot/cross path detection' on any vehicle I own. Not only that, I don't want to pay for it because it's standard, either, so 'just disable it' (if even possible) is not the answer there, either.

I say brands who have overloaded their vehicles with mandatory features are astray, and no wonder the average ATP is something like $35K. Wonder how that happened?

Totally agree with this. I hate the nanny safety devices that they are forcing out on all the auto's. Drive and pay attention or pay someone to drive for you.

Hyundai Sonata level 2 (SEL) and level 3 (Sport) trim has ----heated---- leather wrap wheel standard.  SE trim is comparable to Chevy LS trim.  Neither the SE or LS do, and that makes sense.  When the competition starts to outspec you, and sell at equal or lower prices (with longer warranties in this case as well), it is easy to see why GM loses market share.  Their management doesn't want to address it, they just choose to jack up MSRP's or close plants.  The Sonata has blind spot and cross path standard on all trims.  Again, GM, even on Cadillacs, makes you get expensive pacakges or trims to get what lowly Hyundai gives you standard.  Auto high beams is a feature everyone should have in their standard list for most trims by now too.

It makes more sense to include the stuff for customers and those who don't want it can simply not use it.  But if buyers see it as a feature to look for when buying new, they will make decisions based on it.

Edited by regfootball

8 minutes ago, regfootball said:

I would be happy that headlights are always on period when you are in Drive. The amount of people driving asian auto's at dusk or at night turned off is amazing to me and they wonder why people are flashing them or honk their horns. :nono:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.