Drew Dowdell

First Impressions: 2020 Hyundai Sonata

...the midsize sedan is not dead yet...

The Hyundai Sonata broke cover a couple of weeks before the New York Auto Show, but I finally got to see it on Thursday.  While there are frequent reports that the midsize sedan segment is dying, it still is able to move about 153,000 units just in the month of March.  Hyundai sees an opportunity here as some of its competition, namely the Ford Fusion, will be going to the great used-car lot in the sky in the near future.  Still, the Sonata has only sold around 21,000 units year to date while Nissan can move that many Altimas in a month and Accord and Camry do even better.  So what is Hyundai going for here by introducing a new Sonata?  They're going for sexy.

The midsize market is a conservative one, few models are ever called sexy. Hyundai has gone out of their way to give the Sonata a sexy look without looking odd (Accord) or overwrought (Camry). Up front, there is a huge.. HUGE...grille opening. It has the somewhat traditional six-sided shape but is pinched in a little at the bottom.  Above that are the lighting accents that most everyone will mention when talking about this car.  Along the hood, they are chrome strips that light up when the car is on.  Once this thing hits the streets it will be a very distinctive visual feature that will separate this car from the Accords and Camrys.  The character line flows from the headlights along the body in a very slight S-curve.  Multiple creases on the door panels help keep the car from looking slab-sided. The wheels are an attractive two-tone 10-spoke design.  Around back is a full-width U-shape taillamp setup that looks like the Honda Civic setup, but upside down. It integrates into a rather tall (for a family sedan) spoiler on the rear trunk like. The tops of the taillights have small fins that ostensibly direct airflow the way Hyundai intends.  The overall exterior is handsome and sensuous and does a good job of distinguishing itself from others in the class.

large.2020-hyundai-sonata-005.jpgInside is a mixed bag. The overall look is handsome and restrained, but areas of cost-cutting were visible. There is cheaper plastic on the door panels, lower dash, and parts of the center console.  Still, it is hard to argue with a full TFT screen for the gauge cluster and a large, wide infotainment system in the center.  The infotainment system sits high on the dash and looks like a tablet popping up from below. Controls are simple and easy to reach, and Hyundai has joined the ranks of the new decade by removing the shifter and replacing it with push-button controls. I like Hyundai's setup better than Honda's which I have to think about to use. The seats are a bit flat, but there is plenty of head and leg room. I do like Hyundai's use of two-tone interior, but that won't be on all cars.

At release, the Hyundai Sonata will come with two engines, a 2.5 direct injected 4-cylinder with 191 horsepower at 6,100 RPM and 181 lb-ft of torque at 4,000 rpm. An optional 1.6T will have 180 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 195 lb-ft of torque from 1,5000 - 4,500 rpm.  The 2.5 will get 33mpg combined and the 1.6T will get 31mpg combined.   Some have balked at the idea that the buy-up engine has less horsepower than the base engine, but in this case, it is the flat torque curve that will really make the 1.6T feel faster.  For those who are wanting more power, Hyundai is reportedly working on an N-Line version that will have over 275 horsepower.  For the greenies, a hybrid is coming soon as well, with a possibly plug-in version in the works. Driving impressions will have to wait until this fall.

Overall, Hyundai has a very strong contender for the shrinking mid-size market. Not all of the Ford Fusion owners will go to crossovers, so Hyundai looks ready to scoop them up.

2020 Hyundai Sonata-5.jpg

WOW, I like that, it is very sharp but also clearly says I am a copy of Mercedes-Benz. I do like the interior here and the exterior. Much better looking than the Honda or Toyota versions.

Interesting..I don't see any MB in the styling or proportions, the only things in common I see are it has 4 wheels and 4 doors.   The greenhouse reminds me of the Azera (which is no more?).

Edited by Robert Hall

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Front head lights said MB, rear lights say Honda.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

*squinting*  I'm still not seeing it... but okay.

@Robert Hall

OK, looking at this more and why that orangy car seems to make me see MB and finally figured out what I am seeing.

MB was the first to just abuse coupe on everything style, the overall shape of the car just brings that up to me, the Headlights I actually confused myself as not MB but Cadillac and the rear tail lights just scream to me Honda Civic.

This just seems like another mainstream fastback 4dr like the Malibu, Fusion, Accord, and countless others, rather than a 'coupe' style.

^ That's exactly what all the '4-door coupes' are; fastback sedans.

The ‘coupe’ ones are usually different models from the regular 4dr sedan in a model range, though. CLS compared to E-class.  A7 compared to A6.  CLA compared to A class.  And the ‘4dr coupes’ often have frameless door glass like the CLS.  The Sonata is just a regular midsize sedan.

Frameless door glass really is a very very minor distinction- especially in that the door pretty much needs to be open to make it noticeable. Unless it's accompanied by a missing B-Pillar; yawn.

I’m already bored with this thing.

I still prefer my clean looking Malibu visually to this mix up of corned beef hash and 3 bean salad. But since Chevy won’t make a 2.0 RS Malibu with heated cloth and dual zone with sunroof, I guess if I drove this Hyundai and liked it.... you knever know

Edited by regfootball

10 hours ago, regfootball said:

I’m already bored with this thing.

Just drop in a GM crate motor of performance focus and give your Malibu a very custom RS experience. :D

16 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

16 hours ago, balthazar said:

Just more evidence that the first gen Olds Aurora was the first "4-door coupe"! It has frameless glass too!

Yes, it definitely had that feel like the original CLS...a sleek 4dr, with a 2dr-ish roofline.  And an alternative to the similar sized, more sedate 88 and 98..the original Aurora, the last Toronado, and the last Riviera might be my favorite '90s GM designs...all interesting and distinctive designs.   I liked the angular and clean Seville/STS and Eldorado of the mid to late 90s also.   The odd thing is all of these cars were FWD w/ transverse engine, which is a contradiction to my preferences in cars.  A paradox I struggle with.

Edited by Robert Hall

i'll never have another frameless glass vehicle.  ear slicers.

I like the more jelly bean greenhouse.  Upon seeing the side view, I do not like the V shaped kink or indentation of the rear lights and I do not like the rear lights that climb over the top of the rear trunk lid.

More so than not, it's nicer than the current version.  I only hope it's quieter when on the road.  In its defense, this brand is one of the easier line of cars (as rentals) to get into, drive off, and get accustomed to.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:41 PM, regfootball said:

i'll never have another frameless glass vehicle.  ear slicers.

What are you doing that your ears are getting caught in windows, but only ones with frameless glass?! :huh:

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Funny, speaking of doors, I've managed to poke myself in the chest with the pointed door upper window frame edges on many 4 door cars over the years...can hurt if I open the door fast enough...

5 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Right, same thing with the crazy sloped windshields. Mazda Komodo dragon design seems to be a head bonker for us big guys. I have found most Asian auto's with their sloped windshield can really make it hard to get into the auto.

It would be more expensive to build, and the styling aspect might meet with some resistance, but using a vertical A-pillar with a sloped/wrap windshield would GREATLY increase roll-over protection, visibility and ease of entrance. They can talk about high strength steel all they want- but the severely sloped A-pillar is an insurmountably weak design.

You know that was the very first detail about that concept I noticed when I first saw it.
    Think of the visibility improvement alone!
    What ever happened with volvo's 'invisible A-pillar'?

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

What ever happened with volvo's 'invisible A-pillar'?

It disappeared

On 5/7/2019 at 3:48 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

poor coordination getting in and out of cars LOL.  2 Diamantes, almost lost an ear on each one.  Also I had my 77 Buick Cetury coupe.

• By Drew Dowdell

9,710
      Venue
      290
      290
      *Includes Tucson Fuel Cell sales

• By Drew Dowdell
      In the C&G garage for the week is the 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited AWD with a sticker price of $47,605. This is Hyundai's newest SUV, at least until the diminutive Hyundai Venue takes its place at the other end of the size spectrum.  The first impression I got from the Palisade was how big it is.  Even though it is around 7 inches shorter than a Buick Enclave, it looks bigger and beefier. Being a Limited means that it is in top trim with only carpeted floor mats as an additional option.  It's powered by a 3.8 liter naturally aspirated V6 producing 291 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque and equipped with start/stop.  On my quick initial test drive I found the start/stop function to be unobtrusive and quick to restart the vehicle when I was ready to roll.  Another immediate impression was with the sound quality of the Harmon Kardon sound system. I hooked my phone up via USB and Android Auto took over, playing my favorite Pandora station loud and clear.
      Another feature I like is the video display in the dash when using the turn signal. It helps clear any blind spots one might have in this big SUV.
      So while you're stuffing your faces with turkey this Thursday, think of questions you have about the 2020 Hyundai Palisade and post them below.

• By Drew Dowdell

• By Drew Dowdell
      Aston Martin has unveiled their DBX SUV in Beijing China.  This is the first SUV in the brand's 106-year history. It is being build at a new plant in Wales that is part of Aston Martin's second century rebirth plan.
       The DBX uses a bonded aluminum construction method to help keep weight down. At 4,949 lbs., it's relatively light weight for a full-size V8 powered luxury SUV.  An adaptive triple chamber air springs allow the DBX to raise ride height by 45mm or lower by 50mm. This allows for versatility in terrain and handling, but also helps with getting into and out of the vehicle, or with vehicle loading.  The air ride system also allows for variable spring stiffness, combined with an electric anti-roll control system and adaptive dampers helps the DBX handle more like a sports car than an SUV.
      Powered by an new version of Aston Martin's 4-liter, twin-turbo V8, that is also found in the DB11 and Vantage, the 542 horsepower and 516 lb.-ft of torque V8 can propel the DBX from 0 to 62mph in 4.5 second and achieve a top speed of 181 mph. The engine feature cylinder deactivation to increase fuel economy. All-wheel drive is standard and the power gets to all 4 wheels through a 9-speed automatic. An active center differential plus electronic rear limited slip differential allows torque to be transferred front to rear and side to side on the rear axle.
      The interior of the DBX, as expected, is a sumptuous place to spend your driving time. The cabin has been designed to accommodate the 99th percentile male and 5th percentile female provides class leading headroom and legroom. All of the seats are trimmed in full grain leather while the headliner and blind for the full panel sun room covered in Alcantara finish. Buyers can choose from wood, composite, and metal veneers to suit any taste.
      A 10.25 inch screen sits flush in the center console while a 12.3 inch. Apple Car Play is standard as well as a 360-degree camera system and ambient lighting with 64 colors.
      The starting MSRP for the DBX in the U.S. is $189,900 with deliveries expected to start in late spring 2020.

• By Drew Dowdell

• Haha.  There's a lot of truth to that.  Greeks have left an indelible (still standing!) mark on Sicily and the southern provinces of Italy, at places like Paestum. I haven't been to Greece as many times as I should have!  I've been to Athens and 3 islands. I'd like to go to Athens and then to Corfu (Kerkyra) and get back to Italy from there ... on an overnight ferry ... that way, the passage is just a little bit more in $ than a hotel room and that includes a cabin.  It would nice to get up early and see the ferry approach the Italian coast at Bari or Brindisi ... both on the heel of the peninsula. There's no place like the Med!
    • Nations Largest Trucking Firm Celadon to Declare bankruptcy by Dec 11th and strand as many as 3,200 truckers across the nation. In 2019 640 trucking firms have declared Bankruptcy among one of the largest turn downs in Freight industry as only 175 firms declared bankruptcy in 2018 due to a reduction freight in the country for the last 11 months. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/an-american-trucking-giant-is-slated-to-declare-bankruptcy-—-and-it-may-leave-more-than-3200-truck-drivers-stranded-and-jobless/ar-BBXXdx6?li=BBnb7Kz
    • The power levels on the G70 are competitive it when you get into G80 or G90, where the other guys have twin turbo V8s and 400 hp hybrid V6s and stuff like that, the Genesis engines seem old.

1. 2005 EquinoxLS