Spying: 2020 Cadillac XT6 Makes Its Spy Photo Debut

Took You Long Enough Cadillac!

There has been a lot of talk about Cadillac working on a three-row crossover, but no substance to this. That changed this week as spy photos of the three-row crossover, possibly named the XT6 came out.

The test mule is heavily camouflaged, but we can pull some details out. The front end looks somewhat similar to the recently launched XT4 with a large grille. Headlights appear to be off-the-shelf projector units - we're expecting different units on the production model. Around back, the tailgate design is similar to the XT5. As Car and Driver pointed out, the XT6's roofline shape is alike to the Chevrolet Traverse.

Underpinning the XT6 is expected to be the long-wheelbase version of the C1XX architecture, which also underpins the Buick Enclave and Chevrolet Traverse. No details on powertrains, but we're guessing the 3.6L V6 found in the Enclave and Traverse will be used for the Cadillac variant. This would be paired with an nine-speed automatic and the choice of front or all-wheel drive.

Everyone seems to think that the XT6 will debut at the LA Auto Show in November, with sales to begin next spring.

Source: Car and Driver, CarScoops

Edited by William Maley

Interesting hood bump on this mule.

image.png

Expect SMK to complain that this is another rebadge Chevy / GMC / Buick while he praises his MB as luxury first.

Gonna be an interesting auto to see what they really put into it. Hopefully a first rate interior with the Family Style. Should do really good as a fit between the XT5 and Escalade.

I do agree with Car & Driver that the TT V6 would and should show up in this XT6 or 7 whatever they call it.

What I do not get is why do the car site both think it will be with an 8sp tranny and not have the 10sp that GM helped create?

Right now, Cadillac should have the top end Tranny and motors in all their auto's. 10 sp everything with Turbo this and that and NA engines as base.

I'd assume it will have the same drivetrain as the Traverse/Enclave, 3.6 w/ 9spd auto.   Was that 10spd developed for transverse applications?

I just want that V Series in the background...

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

No, the 10 was for RWD/AWD not FWD/AWD.

I just want that V Series in the background...

No, the 10 was for RWD/AWD not FWD/AWD.

Ok, so that would explain why won't see it in the XT*..

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Ok, so that would explain why won't see it in the XT*..

Yup!

I am surprised it isn't the 9spd unit though.

Just now, ccap41 said:

Yup!

I am surprised it isn't the 9spd unit though.

The 8spd is probably a typo...wouldn't make sense to have a 9spd in the Traverse and Enclave but not the Cadillac variation.

Exactly.  This is a fancy Enclave/Traverse, with the corporate 3.6 V6 and transmission.   I don't see them doing anything exciting here, at most an optional turbo on the V6, but Lincoln already does that, and to quote Kurt Angle "who did they ever beat, where are their gold medals?"

Yet MB does this with cheap plastic ass versions of their own cars.

What is wrong with a company using a standard platform to build unique auto's for their product lines? Luxury, Mid and Entry level products. This is SMART Management.

Stuff like this is a gap filler... sounds like the Lincoln Aviator will have a superior platform, though.

n/a v6 isn't luxury.

Take that over some of the Turbo 4 bangers the germans are putting in their auto's.

GM is putting turbo 4s in most everything...

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

GM is putting turbo 4s in most everything...

Yes they are too and still I would take a NA V6 over them. Initial WOW this is cool, spool up and go, but after a while, when you have been driving a turbo 4 banger, it just wears on you and you want a nice quiet but constant pulling engine and the NA V6 gives you that.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Turbo 4s are fine for rental cars, wouldn't want to own one.  I like NA V6s, quite pleased with the Pentastar V6 in my Jeep..

What is your experience level of driving a turbo 4 for you to say they wear on you and to say they're not quiet?

Driven them in fords, Chevy, Cadillac. The only turbo 4 that I like and seems to do well is the Buick Envision. Even then, if I could I would still take an NA V6 over it in the Buick too.

I will also say that in thinking on this, I am not a fan of the excessive carbon soot you see out of the tail pipes on Turbos compared to NA engines.

Can someone explain to me why the XT6 does NOT have a turbo v6 rather than the corporate NA v6?  Cadillacs should have better engines than their downscale counterparts.

1 minute ago, riviera74 said:

I can see having distinct engines on their good stuff like the CT6 or Escalade, but it doesn't really matter on a generic lease appliance like this, IMO...

4 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Considering this was out if memory serves me right before the Turbo V6 was available, I would not be surprised to see a turbo show up in the XT5 for the new model year.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

I couldn't agree more. They want to be the best but then throw in the same driveline as a Chevy?

Also, FWIW, Mercedes base engine in the GLE is a n/a v6 as well.. I can't see that staying around much longer. And, Audi and Volvo are the only large luxury CUVs that start with a turbo 4's.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

How did they "wear on you" in those instances?

How did they "wear on you" in those instances?

One, the wife likes things silent, so noises that irritate her end up being taken out on me the husband. Put yourself in my shoes, the turbo noises wear on you then when the wife is not happy.

For me, I like a tuned tail pipe, but many of the Turbo engines are noisy and that does when you like to go for long drives becomes very wearing on you.

As much as I love cadillacs, the ATS Turbo 4 loaner I had from them when they serviced my SS I took for a long drive and while it handles really well and on a fun windy road you get great performance, the noise from the engine tends to drone and becoming tiring.

Just like some people are sensitive to 60 Hz fluorescent light flicker, I hear all the noises in an auto. Some I like others, just wear on you. Turbo's are one that wear on me.

Why don’t the use a turbo V6?  Oooorrrrr, wait for it.......  inline turbo 6 with electric assist.  That would be much more refined and quiet.

I bet your wife hates everything you own then.. Those are all way louder than a little turbo 4 set in a luxury car.

Nope for local driving she loves the Trailblazer SS and for Road trips, you cannot get more comfortable and quiet than an Escalade.

You sure can get quieter than a ~10 year old Escalade.. a much more modern luxury vehicle even with a turbo 4.

Auto db.com

auto db.PNG

Edited by ccap41

The next step in Hyundai's Sonata offensive launched today at the Chicago Auto Show. The 2020 Sonata Hybrid features a 2.0L four-cylinder paired with an electric motor to produce a combined 192 horsepower. This is paired with a six-speed automatic which comes with new shift programming to improve the speed and smoothness of gear changes. Hyundai touts the Sonata Hybrid will return 50 City/54 Highway/52 Combined, but that is for the efficiency Blue model. Other models will return 45/51/47 on the EPA cycle.
      One interesting feature for the Sonata Hybrid is an optional solar panel roof that can extend the electric driving range by up to two miles (provided the panel is exposed to sunlight for six hours). The panel can also keep the various batteries around the vehicle charged.
      No word on pricing, but the 2020 Sonata Hybrid goes on sale later this spring.
      Source: Hyundai
      Press Release is on Page 2

New 2020 Segment-Busting Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Makes North American Debut at Chicago Auto Show
      2020 Sonata Hybrid Highlights
      Best-in-class highway fuel economy on Blue trim level
      Class-leading combined fuel economy on Blue trim level
      EPA estimated 52 mpg combined fuel economy rating and 686 miles of driving range on Blue trim level
      Solar Roof System can increase driving range – think of it as up to 700 “free” miles per year
      Hyundai Digital Key technology (optional)
      The top front-seat leg and headroom in the segment
      Unique eco-friendly design cues improve aerodynamics
      Active Shift Control technology makes shifts 30% faster and smoother
      CHICAGO, Feb. 6, 2020 – Today at the Chicago Auto Show, Hyundai introduced its new 2020 Sonata Hybrid, boasting 686 miles of driving range and an EPA estimated 52 mpg combined fuel economy rating on the Blue trim. This is the first time the Sonata Hybrid has been shown in North America. The 2020 Sonata Hybrid is also equipped with the world’s first Active Shift Control (ASC)  technology and a Solar Roof System (SRS), which increase driving range. The new Sonata Hybrid goes on sale this spring and is built in Asan, Korea.
      Overview
      The 2020 Sonata Hybrid’s exclusive styling has a slippery 0.24 drag coefficient, thanks to a unique cross-hole grille with active air flaps, a rear spoiler and aerodynamic alloy wheels. Hyundai Motor’s Solar Roof System makes its debut on the Sonata Hybrid. This system recharges the hybrid battery while preventing unnecessary battery discharge when the car is off. SRS can increase the driving range by a couple of miles after 6 hours of charging. Engineers also applied Active Shift Control technology to control the electric motor, aligning it with the rotational speeds of the engine and transmission, reducing gear-shifting times by 30%. This synchronization not only improves the Sonata Hybrid’s acceleration and fuel economy but also improves the durability of the transmission by minimizing friction during shifts.
      The Sonata Hybrid is equipped with a Smartstream G2.0 GDi HEV engine and a 6-speed hybrid automatic transmission. The engine’s power output is 150 horsepower and 139 lb.-ft. of torque. The car’s electric motor delivers power output of 39 kW (51 HP) and maximum torque of 151 lb.-ft. of torque. Combined system power output is 192 horsepower and EPA estimated fuel economy numbers are 50 city, 54 highway and 52 combined for the Blue trim.
      Mechanical Specifications
      50/54/52 – Blue
      45/51/47 – SEL, Limited
      51/53/52 – LE
      44/47/46 – SE, XLE
      48/47/48 – Hybrid

Solar Roof System
      Hyundai Sonata Hybrid’s solar-panel roof directly charges the 12-volt and hybrid batteries and outputs 205 watts of electricity. This system has several benefits:
      Mileage increases by about 2 miles per day Helps prevent battery discharge from infotainment or HVAC systems when the car is off Unique design cue Active Shift Control Technology
      ASC technology optimizes transmission efficiency by monitoring gear shifts 500 times per second and precisely adjusting the transmission rotation speed for faster shift times. ASC applies new control logic software to the Hybrid Control Unit (HCU), which aligns the electric motor with the rotational speeds of the engine and transmission to reduce gear shifts by 30%. The technology also delivers smoother gear changes and quicker shift times.
      “The development of the world’s first ASC technology is a remarkable innovation that incorporates precise motor control to an automatic transmission,” said KyoungJoon Chang, Vice President and Head of Powertrain Control System Group of Hyundai Motor Group. “It will not only save fuel but also provide a more fun driving experience for our customers.”
      Independently Developed Control Logic Software Applied to the Electric Motor
      Conventional hybrid vehicles do not have torque converters to improve fuel economy because torque converters lose energy while transferring power to the drive wheels. Although fuel efficient, such a system also requires longer shift times to ensure smoother gear changes.
      ASC technology allows the hybrid’s electric motor to also take control of gear shifts by applying new software logic to the Hybrid Control Unit (HCU) to mitigate issues with slower shift time. The HCU monitors the rotational speed of transmission with a sensor installed inside the electric motor at 500 times per second to synchronize the rotational speed with that of the gasoline engine.
      The synchronization reduces shift time by 30% from 500 ms to 350 ms. This improves not only the hybrid vehicles’ acceleration performance and fuel economy but also the durability of the transmission, by minimizing friction during gear shifts.
      Aerodynamics
      The Sonata Hybrid slips through air with 0.24 drag coefficient. The low drag coefficient is accomplished by managing airflow over and under the body. Up front, the Sonata Hybrid has active air flaps behind the grille, which close when less engine cooling is needed. A redesigned rear spoiler further improves airflow. To reduce drag under the body Hyundai engineers added several elements:
      Bumper lip Front- and rear-wheel deflectors Undercovers in the front and back of the engine bay Center floor undercover Rear undercover Digital Key
      Continuing to promote the latest advances in technology, the new Sonata Hybrid offers an optional smartphone-based Hyundai Digital Key. Digital Key uses a dedicated mobile app, Near Field Communication (NFC), and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology to allow a new Sonata to be unlocked, started and driven without a physical key, via a smartphone. Sonata’s Digital Key also allows secure sharing of virtual keys with family and friends.
      Sonata owners can tailor the different vehicle functions available to each shared virtual key, and can make the key available for only a defined amount of time. The vehicle owner can preset the duration of vehicle use or limit the use to only certain features when loaning the vehicle, and can also revoke keys remotely. For additional convenience, such as using a valet service or visiting a Hyundai dealer, Hyundai Digital Key also works with an NFC card, which will be provided with each vehicle. Each Sonata still comes with traditional keys. Hyundai Digital Key is compatible only with phones using the Android operating system.
      Hyundai Digital Key utilizes NFC technology, which exhibits a high level of security. The NFC wireless data communication takes place only when the device and the reader are placed several centimeters apart.
      Optimized Hybrid Battery Placement
      By optimizing the placement of the high-voltage hybrid battery, Hyundai engineers were able to increase trunk capacity by 2.5 cubic feet, compared with the 2019 Sonata Hybrid. This placement also helps create best-in-class front headroom and legroom.
      Convenience Technology
      The 2020 Sonata Hybrid features a number of advanced comfort and convenience features including an electric parking brake, Hands-free Smart Trunk, Qi high-speed wireless smartphone charging pad with cooling fan, standard Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto®, Text-to-Speech via Bluetooth®, heated and ventilated front seats and split-folding rear seats.
      The top-of-the-line audio and navigation display is a wide, high-definition, customizable, 10.25-inch touchscreen monitor with split screens and natural language, and cloud-based speech recognition powered by Blue Link, while the cluster supervision display is a full 12.3 inches. The navigation system includes a bird’s-eye view in navigation maps, and drivers get HD Radio traffic flow and incident data without ever paying for a subscription. Dual Bluetooth support is also available, so two devices can be paired at the same time—one for phone calls and one for streaming audio. The navigation system also comes with three years of Blue Link Multimedia/Map updates. Hyundai’s eight-inch display audio user interface, equipped with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, is standard on the 2020 Sonata Hybrid. An optional Bose® audio system also delivers an exceptional experience to customers.
      SmartSense Safety Technologies
      Sonata features Hyundai’s latest SmartSense advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS). A series of sensors and systems, often restricted to luxury cars, combine to potentially warn the driver and may take action in the event of a safety incident. Meanwhile, other ADAS systems can help the driver perform certain tasks using the car’s 3 radar sensors, 12 ultrasonic sensors and 5 cameras. These features include:
      Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (standard) Blind Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (standard) Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (standard) Lane Keeping Assist (standard) Advanced Smart Cruise Control with Stop and Go (standard) Highway Driving Assist (optional)
      No word on pricing, but the 2020 Sonata Hybrid goes on sale later this spring.
      Source: Hyundai
      Press Release is on Page 2

2020 Sonata Hybrid Highlights
      Best-in-class highway fuel economy on Blue trim level
      Class-leading combined fuel economy on Blue trim level
      Hyundai Digital Key technology (optional)
      The top front-seat leg and headroom in the segment

Solar Roof System
      Independently Developed Control Logic Software Applied to the Electric Motor
      Aerodynamics
      Optimized Hybrid Battery Placement
      Convenience Technology
      SmartSense Safety Technologies
      Cadillac's Super Cruise system is getting a major upgrade just in time for the 2021 CT4 and CT5. The system will now be able to automatically change lanes whenever the driver taps or fully engages the turn signal stalk. The vehicle will signal and look for a safe gap before making the maneuver. Information as to which step the system is on is shown to driver in the instrument cluster.
      “This is our most extensive update we’ve made to Super Cruise since its debut. We have made a number of improvements to make Super Cruise more intuitive, better performing and more accessible for our customers. In addition to the automated lane change functionality, we’ve made improvements to the user interface and hands-free driving dynamics,”  said Mario Maiorana, Super Cruise chief engineer in a statement.
      This upgrade is due in part to GM's new digital vehicle platform that allows for more "electrical bandwidth and data processing power." Other improvements include better rear-facing sensors and updated software.
      Following the CT4 and CT5, the updated Super Cruise system will appear on the upcoming 2021 Escalade. That brings us to an interesting item caught by the folks at Roadshow. The picture Cadillac used in the press release has the rear end of the next-generation model expected to debut next month.

Source: Cadillac, Roadshow
      Press Release is on Page 2

Source: Cadillac, Roadshow
      Press Release is on Page 2
      Today saw the Lexus UX 200 F-Sport being swapped for this 2020 Volvo S60 T5 Momentum. This base model comes very well equipped with a LED headlights, panoramic sunroof, 10-way power seats12.3-inch display for the instrument cluster, and a 9-inch infotainment system. But this particular vehicle is loaded with over $9,000 in options including metallic paint, 19-inch wheels, adaptive cruise control, Harman/Kardon audio system, and power trunk lid. This brings the price to $46,240 with destination - base being $36,050.
      Power comes from a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder with 250 horsepower, paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
      I'll be updating this piece later in the day with some first drive impressions and I only briefly drove it around my work's parking lot to grab some pictures. In the meantime, start dropping off your questions.
      UPDATE: As promised (albeit slightly late), some more first impressions of the S60.
      The T5 engine is a surprisingly punchy engine, providing rapid power when driving on the freeway or exiting a turn. But the downside is noticeable turbo lag when leaving a stop - something I noted in my XC40 review. Volvo Sensus and my iPhone 7 Plus aren't seeming getting along at the moment. When I first plugged my phone in, the system recognized it and brought up the button to launch Apple CarPlay. But I couldn't bring up the CarPlay interface as the button did nothing. I had to unplug and plug the phone back in before it worked. One more issue concerning CarPlay. Some apps only bring up a blank screen when first opened. I would close them and relaunch to bring them to back to regular status. I can't explain whether this is due to me still running an older version of the OS or something with the car. To answer @regfootball comment on the space, this feels slightly larger than the outgoing S60. In the back, I have slightly more legroom than the previous models I have driven. Headroom is still tight, partly due to the optional panoramic sunroof. Volvo still hasn't solved getting in and out of the back as it still feels like a tight squeeze, even though the rear doors do have a wider opening.

• I think that's your individual interpretation, not any projection from the ads themselves. Frankly, whenever I see a successful actor hawking a product, I automatically question whether they're in fact a consumer. And when it seems they're 'stepping down' in product, the whole thing becomes a farce. Anonymous individuals work better IMO.
    • I'm jaded and cynical, world-weary and worn down from decades in the corporate IT game.   I don't think *any* ad has 'inspired' me in maybe 25 years..   There are some I can appreciate occasionally, though.  Like the Jeeps in the mountains on snowy trails ads...always like those.
    • Much better, but still not inspired, the female voice is so flat and unexcited. It is as if they have a person who loves Lexus trying to sell Cadillac. WHERE IS THE PASSION? That is missing from both of these commercials. I remember the commercial that had and projected true emotion of I want to check out that auto. Recardo Montalbon. There are others, but we need people who can project passion and sell the auto even if you do not care for the auto. This has always stuck in my mind as he did an outstanding job of selling the auto with passion.
    • Just saw it again on Hulu watching the Container Home show. NO car commercials “inspire” me, I am largely numb to advertising influence and I’ve seen it all / its all been done before.   That’s just your strict association with 3-row CUVs tho. Anytime 6 or so want to travel in one vehicle, what are they supposed to do; hire a stretch limo?
    • How about this XT6 ad with a diverse group of Millennial hipsters... (struck me as funny since the XT6 is a 3 row soccer mom family hauler type of CUV).

1. gmfannyc