Spying: 2020 Cadillac XT6 Makes Its Spy Photo Debut

Took You Long Enough Cadillac!

There has been a lot of talk about Cadillac working on a three-row crossover, but no substance to this. That changed this week as spy photos of the three-row crossover, possibly named the XT6 came out.

The test mule is heavily camouflaged, but we can pull some details out. The front end looks somewhat similar to the recently launched XT4 with a large grille. Headlights appear to be off-the-shelf projector units - we're expecting different units on the production model. Around back, the tailgate design is similar to the XT5. As Car and Driver pointed out, the XT6's roofline shape is alike to the Chevrolet Traverse.

Underpinning the XT6 is expected to be the long-wheelbase version of the C1XX architecture, which also underpins the Buick Enclave and Chevrolet Traverse. No details on powertrains, but we're guessing the 3.6L V6 found in the Enclave and Traverse will be used for the Cadillac variant. This would be paired with an nine-speed automatic and the choice of front or all-wheel drive.

Everyone seems to think that the XT6 will debut at the LA Auto Show in November, with sales to begin next spring.

Source: Car and Driver, CarScoops

Edited by William Maley

Interesting hood bump on this mule.

image.png

Expect SMK to complain that this is another rebadge Chevy / GMC / Buick while he praises his MB as luxury first.

Gonna be an interesting auto to see what they really put into it. Hopefully a first rate interior with the Family Style. Should do really good as a fit between the XT5 and Escalade.

I do agree with Car & Driver that the TT V6 would and should show up in this XT6 or 7 whatever they call it.

What I do not get is why do the car site both think it will be with an 8sp tranny and not have the 10sp that GM helped create?

Right now, Cadillac should have the top end Tranny and motors in all their auto's. 10 sp everything with Turbo this and that and NA engines as base.

I'd assume it will have the same drivetrain as the Traverse/Enclave, 3.6 w/ 9spd auto.   Was that 10spd developed for transverse applications?

I just want that V Series in the background...

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

No, the 10 was for RWD/AWD not FWD/AWD.

I just want that V Series in the background...

No, the 10 was for RWD/AWD not FWD/AWD.

Ok, so that would explain why won't see it in the XT*..

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Ok, so that would explain why won't see it in the XT*..

Yup!

I am surprised it isn't the 9spd unit though.

Just now, ccap41 said:

Yup!

I am surprised it isn't the 9spd unit though.

The 8spd is probably a typo...wouldn't make sense to have a 9spd in the Traverse and Enclave but not the Cadillac variation.

Exactly.  This is a fancy Enclave/Traverse, with the corporate 3.6 V6 and transmission.   I don't see them doing anything exciting here, at most an optional turbo on the V6, but Lincoln already does that, and to quote Kurt Angle "who did they ever beat, where are their gold medals?"

Yet MB does this with cheap plastic ass versions of their own cars.

What is wrong with a company using a standard platform to build unique auto's for their product lines? Luxury, Mid and Entry level products. This is SMART Management.

Stuff like this is a gap filler... sounds like the Lincoln Aviator will have a superior platform, though.

n/a v6 isn't luxury.

Take that over some of the Turbo 4 bangers the germans are putting in their auto's.

GM is putting turbo 4s in most everything...

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

GM is putting turbo 4s in most everything...

Yes they are too and still I would take a NA V6 over them. Initial WOW this is cool, spool up and go, but after a while, when you have been driving a turbo 4 banger, it just wears on you and you want a nice quiet but constant pulling engine and the NA V6 gives you that.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Turbo 4s are fine for rental cars, wouldn't want to own one.  I like NA V6s, quite pleased with the Pentastar V6 in my Jeep..

What is your experience level of driving a turbo 4 for you to say they wear on you and to say they're not quiet?

Driven them in fords, Chevy, Cadillac. The only turbo 4 that I like and seems to do well is the Buick Envision. Even then, if I could I would still take an NA V6 over it in the Buick too.

I will also say that in thinking on this, I am not a fan of the excessive carbon soot you see out of the tail pipes on Turbos compared to NA engines.

Can someone explain to me why the XT6 does NOT have a turbo v6 rather than the corporate NA v6?  Cadillacs should have better engines than their downscale counterparts.

1 minute ago, riviera74 said:

I can see having distinct engines on their good stuff like the CT6 or Escalade, but it doesn't really matter on a generic lease appliance like this, IMO...

4 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Considering this was out if memory serves me right before the Turbo V6 was available, I would not be surprised to see a turbo show up in the XT5 for the new model year.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

I couldn't agree more. They want to be the best but then throw in the same driveline as a Chevy?

Also, FWIW, Mercedes base engine in the GLE is a n/a v6 as well.. I can't see that staying around much longer. And, Audi and Volvo are the only large luxury CUVs that start with a turbo 4's.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

How did they "wear on you" in those instances?

How did they "wear on you" in those instances?

One, the wife likes things silent, so noises that irritate her end up being taken out on me the husband. Put yourself in my shoes, the turbo noises wear on you then when the wife is not happy.

For me, I like a tuned tail pipe, but many of the Turbo engines are noisy and that does when you like to go for long drives becomes very wearing on you.

As much as I love cadillacs, the ATS Turbo 4 loaner I had from them when they serviced my SS I took for a long drive and while it handles really well and on a fun windy road you get great performance, the noise from the engine tends to drone and becoming tiring.

Just like some people are sensitive to 60 Hz fluorescent light flicker, I hear all the noises in an auto. Some I like others, just wear on you. Turbo's are one that wear on me.

Why don’t the use a turbo V6?  Oooorrrrr, wait for it.......  inline turbo 6 with electric assist.  That would be much more refined and quiet.

I bet your wife hates everything you own then.. Those are all way louder than a little turbo 4 set in a luxury car.

Nope for local driving she loves the Trailblazer SS and for Road trips, you cannot get more comfortable and quiet than an Escalade.

You sure can get quieter than a ~10 year old Escalade.. a much more modern luxury vehicle even with a turbo 4.

Auto db.com

auto db.PNG

Edited by ccap41

• By Drew Dowdell
      Infiniti today released a teaser image of an upcoming crossover coupe due to be shown at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance this year.  The QX55 will slot between the QX50 and QX60 in the lineup but will borrow heavily from the QX50 platform.  Not much is known about the crossover except that it will likely be a front-wheel drive based vehicle and feature Infiniti's new 2.0 liter variable compression engine.
      Infiniti says the QX55 will be in dealerships in Summer of 2020.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Infiniti says the QX55 will be in dealerships in Summer of 2020.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Cadillac's XT5 is getting a refresh for 2020 that brings it into alignment with the looks of the rest of the brand like the recently introduced CT4 and CT5.
      The base trim for XT5 is the Luxury model. From there, Cadillac uses a "Y" strategy and splits the upper trims into Sport and Premium Luxury. Either can also be equipped with a Platinum package for the best technology and interior available in XT5.  Premium Luxury puts an emphasis on brighter trims while the Sport takes a darker, more aggressive stance.
      Luxury and Premium Luxury are tuned more towards the soft side while Sport models get a more performance tuned chassis and quicker steering control. The Sport model gets a standard dual-clutch AWD system, Active Yaw control, and Continuous Damping Control adaptive suspension.  LED headlamps with IntelliBeam are now standard on all models.
      Inside, the XT5 gets the latest version of Cadillac CUE (which they are no longer calling CUE), with more connectivity and personalization. This can be controlled either by touch or by a rotary controller in the center console.  Drivers can easily pair their phone using NFC technology.  Two new high-def instrument cluster options are now available.
      Under the hood, a new base engine takes up residence.  The 2.0T with 237 hp and 259 lb-ft of torque that are in the XT4 and CT4 is now mated to a nine-speed automatic. The 3.6L V6 with 310 horsepower is still available, now also upgraded to the 9-speed auto.  Both engines have active fuel management and automatic start/stop to boost efficiency.
      XT5s with the 2.0T will have a new electronic braking control system that replaces the conventional vacuum assisted power brakes.  A compact electric motor replaces the traditional vacuum booster to reduce parasitic engine drag.
      The 2020 Cadillac XT5 will arrive later this summer.

• By Drew Dowdell
      The 2020 Cadillac XT5 will arrive later this summer.

• Someone punched it in the nose and now it has a smashed face. South Korean Gov is a tax credit, local provincial govs are giving refunds. Their goal is to flip the country which is the size of Mississippi, Indiana, Minnesota or Portugal or Hungary to being ICE free by 2030 for NEW AUTO Sales with the goal of having all ICE Auto's off the road by 2075. Exceptions are for Class 8 semi trucks / commercial use. I honestly can see them going this way, same for Japan and China.
    • I like the current Lincoln look, and within the lens of 2019/2020, they're nice.  Are they knocking my socks off or standing head & shoulders above all else? Not in my opinion. I may have overstated in my earlier post, but not completely. I would like to see something new that takes my breath away stylistically. When I walked around a couple of C7 Corvettes, that was pretty close. I do think the current Ram (and the last few generations) have been extremely good designs. CT6. What else tho?
    • Not even Lincoln? I think their new styling has really come into its own.