Spying: 2020 Cadillac XT6 Makes Its Spy Photo Debut

Took You Long Enough Cadillac!

There has been a lot of talk about Cadillac working on a three-row crossover, but no substance to this. That changed this week as spy photos of the three-row crossover, possibly named the XT6 came out.

The test mule is heavily camouflaged, but we can pull some details out. The front end looks somewhat similar to the recently launched XT4 with a large grille. Headlights appear to be off-the-shelf projector units - we're expecting different units on the production model. Around back, the tailgate design is similar to the XT5. As Car and Driver pointed out, the XT6's roofline shape is alike to the Chevrolet Traverse.

Underpinning the XT6 is expected to be the long-wheelbase version of the C1XX architecture, which also underpins the Buick Enclave and Chevrolet Traverse. No details on powertrains, but we're guessing the 3.6L V6 found in the Enclave and Traverse will be used for the Cadillac variant. This would be paired with an nine-speed automatic and the choice of front or all-wheel drive.

Everyone seems to think that the XT6 will debut at the LA Auto Show in November, with sales to begin next spring.

Source: Car and Driver, CarScoops

Edited by William Maley

Interesting hood bump on this mule.

image.png

Expect SMK to complain that this is another rebadge Chevy / GMC / Buick while he praises his MB as luxury first.

Gonna be an interesting auto to see what they really put into it. Hopefully a first rate interior with the Family Style. Should do really good as a fit between the XT5 and Escalade.

I do agree with Car & Driver that the TT V6 would and should show up in this XT6 or 7 whatever they call it.

What I do not get is why do the car site both think it will be with an 8sp tranny and not have the 10sp that GM helped create?

Right now, Cadillac should have the top end Tranny and motors in all their auto's. 10 sp everything with Turbo this and that and NA engines as base.

I'd assume it will have the same drivetrain as the Traverse/Enclave, 3.6 w/ 9spd auto.   Was that 10spd developed for transverse applications?

I just want that V Series in the background...

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

No, the 10 was for RWD/AWD not FWD/AWD.

I just want that V Series in the background...

No, the 10 was for RWD/AWD not FWD/AWD.

Ok, so that would explain why won't see it in the XT*..

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Ok, so that would explain why won't see it in the XT*..

Yup!

I am surprised it isn't the 9spd unit though.

Just now, ccap41 said:

Yup!

I am surprised it isn't the 9spd unit though.

The 8spd is probably a typo...wouldn't make sense to have a 9spd in the Traverse and Enclave but not the Cadillac variation.

Exactly.  This is a fancy Enclave/Traverse, with the corporate 3.6 V6 and transmission.   I don't see them doing anything exciting here, at most an optional turbo on the V6, but Lincoln already does that, and to quote Kurt Angle "who did they ever beat, where are their gold medals?"

Yet MB does this with cheap plastic ass versions of their own cars.

What is wrong with a company using a standard platform to build unique auto's for their product lines? Luxury, Mid and Entry level products. This is SMART Management.

Stuff like this is a gap filler... sounds like the Lincoln Aviator will have a superior platform, though.

n/a v6 isn't luxury.

Take that over some of the Turbo 4 bangers the germans are putting in their auto's.

GM is putting turbo 4s in most everything...

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

GM is putting turbo 4s in most everything...

Yes they are too and still I would take a NA V6 over them. Initial WOW this is cool, spool up and go, but after a while, when you have been driving a turbo 4 banger, it just wears on you and you want a nice quiet but constant pulling engine and the NA V6 gives you that.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Turbo 4s are fine for rental cars, wouldn't want to own one.  I like NA V6s, quite pleased with the Pentastar V6 in my Jeep..

What is your experience level of driving a turbo 4 for you to say they wear on you and to say they're not quiet?

Driven them in fords, Chevy, Cadillac. The only turbo 4 that I like and seems to do well is the Buick Envision. Even then, if I could I would still take an NA V6 over it in the Buick too.

I will also say that in thinking on this, I am not a fan of the excessive carbon soot you see out of the tail pipes on Turbos compared to NA engines.

Can someone explain to me why the XT6 does NOT have a turbo v6 rather than the corporate NA v6?  Cadillacs should have better engines than their downscale counterparts.

1 minute ago, riviera74 said:

I can see having distinct engines on their good stuff like the CT6 or Escalade, but it doesn't really matter on a generic lease appliance like this, IMO...

4 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Considering this was out if memory serves me right before the Turbo V6 was available, I would not be surprised to see a turbo show up in the XT5 for the new model year.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

I couldn't agree more. They want to be the best but then throw in the same driveline as a Chevy?

Also, FWIW, Mercedes base engine in the GLE is a n/a v6 as well.. I can't see that staying around much longer. And, Audi and Volvo are the only large luxury CUVs that start with a turbo 4's.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

How did they "wear on you" in those instances?

How did they "wear on you" in those instances?

One, the wife likes things silent, so noises that irritate her end up being taken out on me the husband. Put yourself in my shoes, the turbo noises wear on you then when the wife is not happy.

For me, I like a tuned tail pipe, but many of the Turbo engines are noisy and that does when you like to go for long drives becomes very wearing on you.

As much as I love cadillacs, the ATS Turbo 4 loaner I had from them when they serviced my SS I took for a long drive and while it handles really well and on a fun windy road you get great performance, the noise from the engine tends to drone and becoming tiring.

Just like some people are sensitive to 60 Hz fluorescent light flicker, I hear all the noises in an auto. Some I like others, just wear on you. Turbo's are one that wear on me.

Why don’t the use a turbo V6?  Oooorrrrr, wait for it.......  inline turbo 6 with electric assist.  That would be much more refined and quiet.

I bet your wife hates everything you own then.. Those are all way louder than a little turbo 4 set in a luxury car.

Nope for local driving she loves the Trailblazer SS and for Road trips, you cannot get more comfortable and quiet than an Escalade.

You sure can get quieter than a ~10 year old Escalade.. a much more modern luxury vehicle even with a turbo 4.

Auto db.com

auto db.PNG

Edited by ccap41

• By Drew Dowdell
      Cadillac will be unveiling the Cadillac CT4 along with a V-series version on May 30th according to Motor1.
      Both the CT4 and CT5 ride on a second generation Alpha platform called Alpha 2.  The CT5 is offered in rear-wheel drive with all-wheel drive being an option. It is highly likely that the CT4 will get this same offering.
      There is word that the V-series version of the Cadillac CT5 will also debut.  It is likely to pack the same 4.2-liter Blackwing V8 that is available in the CT6. The CT4 V-series is likely to get an uprated version of the 3.0TT.
      While the CT5 is more of a fastback style, the spyshots of the CT4 shows a more conventional sedan profile and an Escala style grille similar to the CT5's.
      The CT5 is likely to start in the high mid-$30k range while the CT4 will be aimed more at entry-level luxury buyers.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Buick is reportedly working on a crossover coupe to add to its lineup in the US.  This vehicle would be in addition to, rather than replace, any vehicles in the current lineup.
      Most of Buick's recent lineup has been a rebadge of some other brand's designs, this new vehicle would be a departure from that with Buick leading the design process from the start. CarDesignNews was shown some sketches and models of future Buicks and what they saw would "turn everything you think about Buick on its ear".  It is a bold design that will shock people both inside and outside the industry.  The designs would feel familiar without using specific cues.
      Buick also took the time to insist that Buick would not become a China-only brand even though 4 out of every 5 Buicks are sold there. The bulk of the design work takes place in Warren, Michigan, while smaller design teams work in Shanghai, Melbourne, and near Seoul.
      As far as the name, Buick has trademarked Enspire for the U.S., so that has a strong possibility of coming to fruition. No timeline is set for the release of the new crossover, but the overhaul of the Buick look is well underway.

• By Drew Dowdell

• By Drew Dowdell
      Cadillac's SuperCruise is currently considered the best of the hands free driving systems on the market, but some recent upgrades to Tesla's AutoPilot are pushing Cadillac to innovate further. Cadillac plans to roll out SuperCruise to all of its models starting with the 2020 model year.  Before that happens, Cadillac has some updates in store.
      Cadillac is able to push updates to the SuperCruise system via an over the air package. While not considered a "next generation" of SuperCruise, Cadillac will be adding capabilities.  Those could be features like automatic lane changes and wider availability of the system on interchanges.  In addition, the just released Cadillac CT5 gets slightly upgraded hardware over the CT6.  One area where Cadillac has made improvements is in feedback to the driver.  If SuperCruise can't see road markings due to poor road conditions like snow or heavy rain, the system will display a message as to why it cannot engage.
      SuperCruise monitors data from customers and they analyze why the system disengages.  This data is then used for further development and refinement of the system.  Cadillac said in vehicles so equipped that 70 percent of all highway miles driven are traveled with SuperCruise active.