Spying: 2020 Cadillac XT6 Makes Its Spy Photo Debut

Took You Long Enough Cadillac!

There has been a lot of talk about Cadillac working on a three-row crossover, but no substance to this. That changed this week as spy photos of the three-row crossover, possibly named the XT6 came out.

The test mule is heavily camouflaged, but we can pull some details out. The front end looks somewhat similar to the recently launched XT4 with a large grille. Headlights appear to be off-the-shelf projector units - we're expecting different units on the production model. Around back, the tailgate design is similar to the XT5. As Car and Driver pointed out, the XT6's roofline shape is alike to the Chevrolet Traverse.

Underpinning the XT6 is expected to be the long-wheelbase version of the C1XX architecture, which also underpins the Buick Enclave and Chevrolet Traverse. No details on powertrains, but we're guessing the 3.6L V6 found in the Enclave and Traverse will be used for the Cadillac variant. This would be paired with an nine-speed automatic and the choice of front or all-wheel drive.

Everyone seems to think that the XT6 will debut at the LA Auto Show in November, with sales to begin next spring.

Source: Car and Driver, CarScoops

Edited by William Maley

Interesting hood bump on this mule.

image.png

Expect SMK to complain that this is another rebadge Chevy / GMC / Buick while he praises his MB as luxury first.

Gonna be an interesting auto to see what they really put into it. Hopefully a first rate interior with the Family Style. Should do really good as a fit between the XT5 and Escalade.

I do agree with Car & Driver that the TT V6 would and should show up in this XT6 or 7 whatever they call it.

What I do not get is why do the car site both think it will be with an 8sp tranny and not have the 10sp that GM helped create?

Right now, Cadillac should have the top end Tranny and motors in all their auto's. 10 sp everything with Turbo this and that and NA engines as base.

I'd assume it will have the same drivetrain as the Traverse/Enclave, 3.6 w/ 9spd auto.   Was that 10spd developed for transverse applications?

I just want that V Series in the background...

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

No, the 10 was for RWD/AWD not FWD/AWD.

I just want that V Series in the background...

No, the 10 was for RWD/AWD not FWD/AWD.

Ok, so that would explain why won't see it in the XT*..

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Ok, so that would explain why won't see it in the XT*..

Yup!

I am surprised it isn't the 9spd unit though.

Just now, ccap41 said:

Yup!

I am surprised it isn't the 9spd unit though.

The 8spd is probably a typo...wouldn't make sense to have a 9spd in the Traverse and Enclave but not the Cadillac variation.

Exactly.  This is a fancy Enclave/Traverse, with the corporate 3.6 V6 and transmission.   I don't see them doing anything exciting here, at most an optional turbo on the V6, but Lincoln already does that, and to quote Kurt Angle "who did they ever beat, where are their gold medals?"

Yet MB does this with cheap plastic ass versions of their own cars.

What is wrong with a company using a standard platform to build unique auto's for their product lines? Luxury, Mid and Entry level products. This is SMART Management.

Stuff like this is a gap filler... sounds like the Lincoln Aviator will have a superior platform, though.

n/a v6 isn't luxury.

Take that over some of the Turbo 4 bangers the germans are putting in their auto's.

GM is putting turbo 4s in most everything...

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

GM is putting turbo 4s in most everything...

Yes they are too and still I would take a NA V6 over them. Initial WOW this is cool, spool up and go, but after a while, when you have been driving a turbo 4 banger, it just wears on you and you want a nice quiet but constant pulling engine and the NA V6 gives you that.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Turbo 4s are fine for rental cars, wouldn't want to own one.  I like NA V6s, quite pleased with the Pentastar V6 in my Jeep..

What is your experience level of driving a turbo 4 for you to say they wear on you and to say they're not quiet?

Driven them in fords, Chevy, Cadillac. The only turbo 4 that I like and seems to do well is the Buick Envision. Even then, if I could I would still take an NA V6 over it in the Buick too.

I will also say that in thinking on this, I am not a fan of the excessive carbon soot you see out of the tail pipes on Turbos compared to NA engines.

Can someone explain to me why the XT6 does NOT have a turbo v6 rather than the corporate NA v6?  Cadillacs should have better engines than their downscale counterparts.

1 minute ago, riviera74 said:

I can see having distinct engines on their good stuff like the CT6 or Escalade, but it doesn't really matter on a generic lease appliance like this, IMO...

4 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Considering this was out if memory serves me right before the Turbo V6 was available, I would not be surprised to see a turbo show up in the XT5 for the new model year.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

I couldn't agree more. They want to be the best but then throw in the same driveline as a Chevy?

Also, FWIW, Mercedes base engine in the GLE is a n/a v6 as well.. I can't see that staying around much longer. And, Audi and Volvo are the only large luxury CUVs that start with a turbo 4's.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

How did they "wear on you" in those instances?

How did they "wear on you" in those instances?

One, the wife likes things silent, so noises that irritate her end up being taken out on me the husband. Put yourself in my shoes, the turbo noises wear on you then when the wife is not happy.

For me, I like a tuned tail pipe, but many of the Turbo engines are noisy and that does when you like to go for long drives becomes very wearing on you.

As much as I love cadillacs, the ATS Turbo 4 loaner I had from them when they serviced my SS I took for a long drive and while it handles really well and on a fun windy road you get great performance, the noise from the engine tends to drone and becoming tiring.

Just like some people are sensitive to 60 Hz fluorescent light flicker, I hear all the noises in an auto. Some I like others, just wear on you. Turbo's are one that wear on me.

Why don’t the use a turbo V6?  Oooorrrrr, wait for it.......  inline turbo 6 with electric assist.  That would be much more refined and quiet.

I bet your wife hates everything you own then.. Those are all way louder than a little turbo 4 set in a luxury car.

Nope for local driving she loves the Trailblazer SS and for Road trips, you cannot get more comfortable and quiet than an Escalade.

You sure can get quieter than a ~10 year old Escalade.. a much more modern luxury vehicle even with a turbo 4.

Auto db.com

auto db.PNG

Edited by ccap41

• By FAPTurbo
      for a rental I got a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (RVR in Canada) with about 200 miles on the odo.

the target buyer is your weird aunt who always called herself ‘the fun aunt’ when you were 11 because she’s 44 but says she looks 41, unmarried, says words like ‘groovy’ , funky’ and ‘kiddo’ and always takes you to applebees for appy hour for some belated birthdate you had a week and a half ago.
      the aunt whose name your mom would slowly sigh out after hanging up another phone call where the subjects shifted between dried ovaries, outdated match.com profile photos, gravity’s toll and questioning why that nice boy way back in grade 12 never called again, while your dad sat at the kitchen table staring stone faced at the newspaper knowing if he made one smart remark, he’d be hit with it.
      she was on a tuesday evening date with a divorced 47-year old beergut named richie who drives the shuttle for an automall, and the sales manager at the mitsu dealer promised richie a $100 gift card to montana’s for each successful referral. your aunt jumped at the chance for a second date to ride richie’s short bus around the dealerships all day.
      unfortunately, richie interpreted ‘ride richie’s short bus’ incorrectly on the second date, so your aunt was promptly dropped off in front of a shiny Mitsubishi Outlander Sport.
      she loved how ‘it looks like a little truck’ and couldn’t believe the giant sunroof. a sales rep upon seeing an actual person on the lot, thought she was lost
      opening the door, the old navy yoga pants on aunt’s diminishing derrière slid onto the cheap, plasticky leather seating, her chunky jewelry-laden hands running along hard, hollow, textured plastics, leaving fingerprints on the sparse piano black plastic accents.
      ‘ooooh i can fit all my girlfriends in this for a road trip’ exclaimed your aunt to the sales rep, who silently doubted the plural in girlfriends as he looked at the decent interior space that welcomed nobody.
      as if by magic, the radio is tuned to 95.9 SPLASH FM, ‘WITH TRIX AND THE CHIX,‘ and shania is belting out on speakers tinnier than the discman headphones you had when she was popular.
      unable to see over the exaggerated hood and rear quarter panels, your aunt doesn’t care because the outlander allegedly has four wheel drive, so even snow won’t stop her from safely getting to her administrative job at the caster wheel wholesaler.
      in just a few short hours, the young finance guy who politely yet deftly ignored any ‘is there a missus todd?’ questions has put your aunt in the outlander for 72 months at just a little over $100 a week.
      now your aunt has plenty of hatchback to put bumper stickers like ‘I got crabs in Maryland’ and ‘Caution: Blonde Driving,’ and you’ll appreciate the last one because the mitsu’s handling isn’t good and feels disconnected from the road.
      the cvt makes the engine seem lazy, devoid of pep and drive.
      like your aunt, the mitsubishi outlander sport just... exists. it pleases no one even if it’s trying and it makes you feel bad.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford will be showing their Mustang inspired EV SUV on November 17th ahead of the LA Auto Show.  We still don't have a name for the upcoming vehicle, but Ford has recently trademarked the name "Mach-E" and "Mustang Mach-E". Could this be a name for this new EV crossover? Time will tell. What you can see from the sketch is that it will have Mustang-like tail lights and headlights, plus a swept back, coupe-like roof line and a long hood.
      We do know an approximate range per charge of 370 miles on the WTLP cycle, which is slightly more optimistic than the EPA cycle.  Ford also recently announced the creation of the FordPass Charging network, a way to take the worry out of range anxiety.  We expect we'll hear even more about FordPass Charging Network at the November 17th presentation.

• By Drew Dowdell

• By Drew Dowdell
      Mazda rolled the new MX-30 electric vehicle at the Tokyo Motor Show today. The  MX-30 is a new take on the Kodo design language and one of its most interesting features is the clamshell doors. This vehicle will be the brand's first battery electric vehicle, but it is unlikely to make it to the U.S. in this form.  What we're looking at here is a European model.
      The MX-30 is powered by a single motor driving the front wheels and a 35.5 kWh battery pack under the floorboards.  That battery size is rather small compared to some other EVs (The Chevy Bolt EV is 60 kWh for example) and range is limited to about 130 miles. Power rings up a 141 horsepower and 195 lb.-ft of torque.
      Mazda has tuned the MX-30 differently than other EVs. Rather than strong torque off the line, power builds more gradually and regenerative braking is less grabby than others. Mazda even pipes artificial engine noise into the cabin to give the sensory effect of acceleration. Mazda called the new powertrain e-Skyactive.
      There are rumors that an MX-30 will appear at the Los Angeles Auto Show with a rotary powered regenerator, a vehicle much more interesting to the North American buying public, but for now, we just sit and wait for pricing to be announced to this European model.

• By Drew Dowdell