Chevrolet's 2019 Blazer Might Not Be the Deal They Want You To Believe

Not much of a bargain to be seen here

Last month, Chevrolet announced the 2019 Blazer would begin at $29,995, undercutting the likes of Ford Edge and Nissan Murano. But Cars Direct has gone through the order guide and did some analysis. What they found out is that Blazer isn't as a good deal as Chevrolet is promoting to be.

Let's start with the base the Blazer L which begins at $29,995. CarsDirect believes this model "is likely intended mainly for advertising purposes." This is something we saw before when Buick launched the Regal TourX. The L model is also excluded from factory discounts. Most buyers will likely be pushed towards the 1LT which begins at $33,495 - $1,700 more expensive than the Murano S and $2,505 more expensive than the Edge SE. Both the Murano and Edge pack more powerful engines (Blazer uses a 2.5L four-cylinder with 193 hp and 188 lb-ft of torque) and have the option of AWD. The Blazer can only get AWD on 2LT models and above.

The 2LT begins at $34,495 and adds the 3.6L V6 engine - 305 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque. If you want AWD, be prepared to shell out an additional $2,700. Again, AWD is cheaper on the Murano ($1,600) and Edge ($1,950).

Another disappointment for the Blazer is how much you need to shell out for advanced driver assistance features. If you want adaptive cruise control and front collision warning, then first you need pay $41,795 for the RS and then add $3,575 for Enhanced Convenience and Driver Confidence II Package. If you want automatic emergency braking, then you'll need to step up to the top-line Premier at $43,895 and add the Driver Confidence Package II for an additional $2,165. AEB is standard on the Murano and Edge.

Based on this analysis, it does make the Blazer a bit of a tough sell. We'll have to see how things play out in the coming months.

Source: CarsDirect

This blows as I like the looks of the Blazer, but GM seems to think they can play in the luxo price tier and not really offer any value in their Chevy line. Someone seems to have lost track of what bracket Chevy plays in especially in relation to Buick, GMC and Cadillac not to mention the competition.

So it's priced comparably to the Explorer, Grand Cherokee, Durango, Highlander, etc.   Not sure if it offers anything better than those, esp. with a new Explorer and GC (NG is supposed to have a 3 row version available) coming..  is the Blazer going to be 2 and 3 row, or are they leaving the 3 row for the Traverse?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

7 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

My understanding is a 2 row CUV. I honestly think GM is going to have to discount them heavy to move as what is in the full story and what Will has posted here shows it to be uncompetitive.

New Santa Fe is priced better too for the most part.. cheapest base motor AWD is under 30K and includes active safety.

With that pricing, just get a three row and call it a day.  Probably much better resale value on a good three row as well.  My brother-in-law's Ascent is pretty nice and doesn't offer a chintzy base motor FWD option or require a top trim level to get active safety like it is 2015.

I know they're 3-rows, but the Highlander and Pilot both come with the active safety features at much lower prices.   On both, they are standard.... on the RAV4 they are standard, on the CR-V they're standard on the EX and above.  Ford Edge comes with Co-Pilot 360 standard. On the CX-9, it's a $1,290 option available on the base model.

With all of those heavy hitters on either side of the segment, it's odd that Chevy continues to choose to bring a knife to a gun-fight with under-equipped vehicles.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Want an AWD Blazer RS? It'll cost more than an Edge ST. 😂

Edge ST seems like a desirable package.  I would not mind test driving one.

....and yet I really like the looks of the Blazer. Hope GM is able to sell this one in enough quantity to make margins and keep it in production.

1 hour ago, Guest AtLeast3CharactersLong said:

And it’s ugly to boot.

Actually I find it attractive.

25 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Edge ST seems like a desirable package.  I would not mind test driving one.

Oh I think it'll sell okay. It's basically a re-body of the XT5 and Acadia, so they don't need to sell it in huge numbers.

I'm just getting frustrated with GM's insistance on packaging their vehicles this way.  I want the extra safety equipment, particularly active cruise-control.  GM is pushing me towards Honda and Toyota as a customer.

I'm just getting frustrated with GM's insistence on packaging their vehicles this way.  I want the extra safety equipment, particularly active cruise-control.  GM is pushing me towards Honda and Toyota as a customer.

I totally agree as for the first time in my life, I might actually buy non-american and it is their own fault for shitting packaging of features and cost.

Other issues persist but yes...I am with you.

I can see myself buying another FCA product..another Jeep, maybe a Challenger, Charger or 300.  Probably a CPO.   But other marques I'll probably look at in the future would include Mazda and Volvo...

24 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The Challenger is aging fast (just had a rental), but the 300 is still on my radar.

I totally agree as for the first time in my life, I might actually buy non-american and it is their own fault for $h!ting packaging of features and cost.

Who's offering a full-size EV CUV?

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

No one yet, but I bet Mercedes will be the first...

LOL if you think dfelt will drive a Mercedes.

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

No one yet, but I bet Mercedes will be the first...

Volvo is probably the closest today.  The XC90 PHEV can run in pure EV mode already

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

LOL if you think dfelt will drive a Mercedes.

I don't think he will, but I bet M-B will be there first..they have their compact EV SUV coming, bigger ones are probably in the works..

I think it will be a little bit yet before there is a 3-row full size SUV that's pure EV. I think they'd want to get the volume vehicles first but that's just what my brain says.. It doesn't have any form of statistics or studies in front of it.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

How is a 3-row SUV not a volume vehicle?

How is a 3-row SUV not a volume vehicle?

Which sells more, 100k luxury 3 row SUVs or mainstream compact CUVs?

Who's offering a full-size EV CUV?

As @Cubical-aka-Moltar stated no one yet, but I fit in the Bolt. The wife wants an EV that she likes. If the iPace or EQC covers her list of requirements, I very well could buy one.

EVs have far more space inside than ICE. I might be fine in a mid size CUV EV.

This week, Hagerty obtained a document from General Motors' executive director in charge of program management, Michelle Braun that says development on future car and truck programs has been paused due to the COVID-19 outbreak. But the document also mentions some intriguing information on upcoming powertrains for the C8 Corvette. Here are the details,
      Corvette Z06: 5.5L DOHC V8 known as the LT6 that will produce 650 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque. No mention of any type of forced-induction. Corvette Gran Sport: 6.2L OHC V8 with a hybrid system that's expected to produce 600 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque. Corvette ZR1: Twin-Turbo 5.5L DOHC V8, dubbed LT7. Output is expected to be 850 horsepower and 800 pound-feet. Corvette Zora: The powerhouse of the C8, it will take the Twin-Turbo LT7 and augment with a hybrid system. This is expected to produce 1,000 horsepower and 975 pound-feet of torque. Hagerty's report says the rollout of the new engines will begin in 2022 with the LT6, but the COVID-19 outbreak may push the plans back.
      Source: Hagerty

Source: Hagerty
    • By dfelt
      According to MotorTrend, fords Mach e while pissing off the mustang faithful has already sold out all production for America and Europe for the first year. As such with GM having a flexible EV platform and considerable new EVs coming over the next 3 years, this begs the question of Could GM produce a Camaro EV CUV and call it the Z28? With the first nine auto's off the EV platform to be a Cadillac, one has to wonder how GM might fit the sporty performance into their product line and having a performance CUV Camaro could be the magic ticket.
      To quote the MotorTrend story: we'd expect a Chevy Camaro electric SUV to at least match the 255 horsepower Ford is targeting for the base Mustang Mach-E. For higher-trim variants, Chevy would likely have to adopt a dual-motor all-wheel-drive setup to stay competitive with the 332-hp, 417-lb-ft Mach-E 4 and 459-hp, 612-lb-ft Mach-E GT.

I’ve driven my fair share of Challengers on both extremes - from the standard V6 to the high-performance SRT and Hellcat models. But I never had any time behind the wheel of the R/T with its 5.7 V8. That changed in the summer when a bright orange Charger R/T Shaker was dropped off for a week. This allowed me to ask a question that has been sitting in my head for some time: Is the R/T the best bang for your buck in the Challenger family?
      The Shaker sets itself apart from other Challenger models with the use of a ‘Shaker’ scoop that prominently pops up from the hood. There is also a blackout treatment on several trim pieces and wheels that make it look even more imposing on the road. Along with the scoop, the Shaker package does add a new cold-air intake seated right in front of the driver’s side corner. This addition should boost the output of the 5.7L HEMI V8 (372 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque when paired with the eight-speed automatic. But FCA’s spec sheet doesn’t say anything about the Shaker Package adding more oomph or not. When you first start up the R/T Shaker, it makes presence known with a deep and loud exhaust note. I had to do a double-take the first time as I was wondering if I was given either an R/T Scat Pack or a Hellcat by mistake. While it may lack the high power numbers of the 6.4 and supercharged 6.2 V8s, the 5.7 is no slouch. 60 mph comes in at just over five seconds and power is seemingly available at any speed. My tester came with the optional Performance Handling Group that adds upgraded springs, sway bars, and a set of Bilstein shocks. This does improve the handling by a fair amount with less body roll. But it doesn’t feel nimble due to a curb weight of around 4,158 pounds. The steering has a quick response, but there is a noticeable lack of road feedback. If you want your muscle car to have some handling, consider the Camaro or Mustang. Nothing new to report on the Challenger’s interior. It still has the angled center stack, retro-inspired gauges, and easy to use UConnect infotainment system. The seats are where the Challenger loses some points as it feels like you’re sitting on top of cinderblocks. The Shaker package is surprisingly good value, adding $2,500 to the base price of the R/T which begins at $34,295. But you’ll need to be careful on the option sheet, or you’ll end up with something quite expensive. My tester came with an as-tested price of $46,555, which is $300 more than an R/T Scat Pack Widebody with the 6.4 HEMI V8.  The Dodge Challenger is getting up there in age and sadly cannot compete with the likes of the Camaro and Mustang in terms of handling. But Dodge is still able to offer a lot of performance in the form of the R/T. With a potent V8 engine, old school styling, and different packages like the Shaker to make your Challenger stand out, the R/T is possibly the best value and well-rounded model in the lineup. Disclaimer: Dodge Provided the Challenger, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2019
      Make: Dodge
      Model: Challenger
      Trim: R/T
      Engine: 5.7 HEMI VVT V8 Engine
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Rear-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 372 @ 5,200
      Torque @ RPM: 400 @ 4,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 16/25/19
      Curb Weight: 4,158 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Brampton, Ontario
      Base Price: $34,295
      As Tested Price: $46,555 (Includes $1,495.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:

Horsepower @ RPM: 372 @ 5,200
      Torque @ RPM: 400 @ 4,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 16/25/19
      Curb Weight: 4,158 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Brampton, Ontario
      Base Price: $34,295
      As Tested Price: $46,555 (Includes $1,495.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      "Shaker" Package - $2,500.00
      TorqueFlite Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission - $1,595.00
      Performance Handling Group - $1,495.00
      Driver Convenience Group - $1,295.00
      Power Sunroof - $1,295.00
      UConnect 4C Nav with 8.4-inch Display - $1,095.00
      Alpine Sound Group with Subwoofer - $995.00
      Shakedown Graphics - $495.00

• No one seemed to have posted the 2nd quarter sales number results in the Sales Ticker forum like they used to, but from what I’ve seen elsewhere the numbers were down, more for some makers than others.
    • @USA-1 Sorry, I looked back and thought I had posted the updated Story from Reuters that talked about the last couple weeks of Arizona leading the nation in infections and deaths.  My Bad. The rest I will reply DM to keep it all auto from here out. Investors had an interesting report on 13 companies headed for a train wreck. Ford is among these 13 companies. Looks like 5.2 billion lost for the Q2 on top of the last quarter. Over all sales are expected to be down 58% from a year ago and down 500% from it's 28 cents a share profit to a Negative $1.24 per share loss. OUCH https://www.investors.com/etfs-and-funds/sectors/sp500-analysts-train-wreck-quarter-coming-companies-stocks/
    • There are already renderings of a Corolla Cross pickup similar to the Subaru Baja.
    • 👆🏼Guyliner👆🏼
    • First of all, you didn't post a story, you brought up the Pandemic in a sentence replying to a totally unrelated post that I had about the housing market here in AZ (another non-automotive subject you brought up) and made it like everyone where I live is sick and dying, it's ridiculous and WRONG! I stated what I'm seeing and what two of my neighbors are seeing on the front lines in hospitals here and it's not all doom and gloom. Ok, so you're a heavily Left leaning "Independent" got it. Since there's really only 2 parties in the U.S.A., those being the Republicans and the Democrats and we know you're a #45 hater then we also know what side you're on come Nov. 3rd. I wouldn't admit to being a Democrat either with the far Left Extremists running the show and what all the Blue states have going on with everything being destroyed in their major cities, good move. Your Governor and Mayor are the most ignorant and incompetent State employees in the nation, right next to the ones running NY State and NYC, that's fact not opinion. Our Governor opened up the state with a 2 week delay starting May 15th instead of the planned May 1st to complete more testing and it was in stages starting with Phase 1 as recommended by the CDC, it wasn't a free for all with packed restaurants and public venues like your misinformed comment makes it seem.  You know you're being political by mentioning the Pandemic the way you did and ending it with...Scary. Don't try to play dumb I know what you're doing as do others on here and it's childish. Supposed to just keep posts about Automobiles, but you just can't help yourself and you're the only one on here that starts with the political posts or brings it up. I DO CARE about real Americans that love our country for what it is, ("Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness") Past, Present and Future, NOT the Anti-American rhetoric and criminal minded anarchists that are trying to destroy our history by burning cities and destroying monuments/statues just because they are POS human beings, most statues they pull down and/or deface have nothing to do with the Confederacy, bunch of morons! Keep it to CARS!   Ending with this quote that goes with everything! "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it" - Edmond Burke

1. CursingOldGuy