Chevrolet's 2019 Blazer Might Not Be the Deal They Want You To Believe

Not much of a bargain to be seen here

Last month, Chevrolet announced the 2019 Blazer would begin at $29,995, undercutting the likes of Ford Edge and Nissan Murano. But Cars Direct has gone through the order guide and did some analysis. What they found out is that Blazer isn't as a good deal as Chevrolet is promoting to be.

Let's start with the base the Blazer L which begins at $29,995. CarsDirect believes this model "is likely intended mainly for advertising purposes." This is something we saw before when Buick launched the Regal TourX. The L model is also excluded from factory discounts. Most buyers will likely be pushed towards the 1LT which begins at $33,495 - $1,700 more expensive than the Murano S and $2,505 more expensive than the Edge SE. Both the Murano and Edge pack more powerful engines (Blazer uses a 2.5L four-cylinder with 193 hp and 188 lb-ft of torque) and have the option of AWD. The Blazer can only get AWD on 2LT models and above.

The 2LT begins at $34,495 and adds the 3.6L V6 engine - 305 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque. If you want AWD, be prepared to shell out an additional $2,700. Again, AWD is cheaper on the Murano ($1,600) and Edge ($1,950).

Another disappointment for the Blazer is how much you need to shell out for advanced driver assistance features. If you want adaptive cruise control and front collision warning, then first you need pay $41,795 for the RS and then add $3,575 for Enhanced Convenience and Driver Confidence II Package. If you want automatic emergency braking, then you'll need to step up to the top-line Premier at $43,895 and add the Driver Confidence Package II for an additional $2,165. AEB is standard on the Murano and Edge.

Based on this analysis, it does make the Blazer a bit of a tough sell. We'll have to see how things play out in the coming months.

Source: CarsDirect

This blows as I like the looks of the Blazer, but GM seems to think they can play in the luxo price tier and not really offer any value in their Chevy line. Someone seems to have lost track of what bracket Chevy plays in especially in relation to Buick, GMC and Cadillac not to mention the competition.

So it's priced comparably to the Explorer, Grand Cherokee, Durango, Highlander, etc.   Not sure if it offers anything better than those, esp. with a new Explorer and GC (NG is supposed to have a 3 row version available) coming..  is the Blazer going to be 2 and 3 row, or are they leaving the 3 row for the Traverse?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

7 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

My understanding is a 2 row CUV. I honestly think GM is going to have to discount them heavy to move as what is in the full story and what Will has posted here shows it to be uncompetitive.

New Santa Fe is priced better too for the most part.. cheapest base motor AWD is under 30K and includes active safety.

With that pricing, just get a three row and call it a day.  Probably much better resale value on a good three row as well.  My brother-in-law's Ascent is pretty nice and doesn't offer a chintzy base motor FWD option or require a top trim level to get active safety like it is 2015.

I know they're 3-rows, but the Highlander and Pilot both come with the active safety features at much lower prices.   On both, they are standard.... on the RAV4 they are standard, on the CR-V they're standard on the EX and above.  Ford Edge comes with Co-Pilot 360 standard. On the CX-9, it's a $1,290 option available on the base model.

With all of those heavy hitters on either side of the segment, it's odd that Chevy continues to choose to bring a knife to a gun-fight with under-equipped vehicles.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Want an AWD Blazer RS? It'll cost more than an Edge ST. 😂

Edge ST seems like a desirable package.  I would not mind test driving one.

....and yet I really like the looks of the Blazer. Hope GM is able to sell this one in enough quantity to make margins and keep it in production.

1 hour ago, Guest AtLeast3CharactersLong said:

And it’s ugly to boot.

Actually I find it attractive.

25 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Edge ST seems like a desirable package.  I would not mind test driving one.

Oh I think it'll sell okay. It's basically a re-body of the XT5 and Acadia, so they don't need to sell it in huge numbers.

I'm just getting frustrated with GM's insistance on packaging their vehicles this way.  I want the extra safety equipment, particularly active cruise-control.  GM is pushing me towards Honda and Toyota as a customer.

I'm just getting frustrated with GM's insistence on packaging their vehicles this way.  I want the extra safety equipment, particularly active cruise-control.  GM is pushing me towards Honda and Toyota as a customer.

I totally agree as for the first time in my life, I might actually buy non-american and it is their own fault for shitting packaging of features and cost.

Other issues persist but yes...I am with you.

I can see myself buying another FCA product..another Jeep, maybe a Challenger, Charger or 300.  Probably a CPO.   But other marques I'll probably look at in the future would include Mazda and Volvo...

24 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The Challenger is aging fast (just had a rental), but the 300 is still on my radar.

I totally agree as for the first time in my life, I might actually buy non-american and it is their own fault for $h!ting packaging of features and cost.

Who's offering a full-size EV CUV?

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

No one yet, but I bet Mercedes will be the first...

LOL if you think dfelt will drive a Mercedes.

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

No one yet, but I bet Mercedes will be the first...

Volvo is probably the closest today.  The XC90 PHEV can run in pure EV mode already

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

LOL if you think dfelt will drive a Mercedes.

I don't think he will, but I bet M-B will be there first..they have their compact EV SUV coming, bigger ones are probably in the works..

I think it will be a little bit yet before there is a 3-row full size SUV that's pure EV. I think they'd want to get the volume vehicles first but that's just what my brain says.. It doesn't have any form of statistics or studies in front of it.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

How is a 3-row SUV not a volume vehicle?

How is a 3-row SUV not a volume vehicle?

Which sells more, 100k luxury 3 row SUVs or mainstream compact CUVs?

Who's offering a full-size EV CUV?

As @Cubical-aka-Moltar stated no one yet, but I fit in the Bolt. The wife wants an EV that she likes. If the iPace or EQC covers her list of requirements, I very well could buy one.

EVs have far more space inside than ICE. I might be fine in a mid size CUV EV.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Chevrolet has canceled the Malibu Hybrid for the 2020 model year.  What? You forgot they even offered one?  It's not surprising.
      It's tough out there for slow selling sedans these days and the Malibu Hybrid was probably one of the slowest selling of the General's current lineup. The move leaves GM with no full hybrid vehicles at all in the lineup. This comes after the cancellation of the plug-in Chevy Volt earlier this year. The only electrified vehicle, for now, is the diminutive Chevy Bolt. GM is rumored to be working hard on an electric or electrified truck, and has plans to electrify most of the Cadillac lineup, even going so far as to promise the UAW that the Lordstown plant would reopen as a battery factory.
      The Malibu Hybrid used a 1.8 liter 4-cylinder and an electric motor combination to make 182 horsepower.  The sedan could drive on electric alone up to 55 mph, but it lacked a plug-in option.  It came only in the upper LT trim and started at $29,095 before delivery charges.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      General Motors is planing a range of updates for their full-size trucks starting in the 2021 model year, beginning with updated interiors. Also coming is a Silverado ZRX aimed to take on the likes of the Ford F-150 Raptor and the Ram 1500 Rebel.  The ZRX would come with an improved off-road suspension, special DSSV Dampers like on the Colorado ZR2, rear and front locking differentials, and improved approach and departure angles.
      If Chevy uses the same recipe they did on the ZR2, the ZRX will likely also get unique front and rear fascias.  One thing that isn't changing though is the powertrain. It's rumored that the ZRX will continue to use the same 6.2 liter V8 with 420 horsepower and 460 lb.-ft of torque.  This is disappointing as the Raptor and Rebel TRX both get more powerful engines than their on-road counterparts.
      If these plans come to fruition, expect the Silverado ZRX to come out in 2021 as a 2022 model.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      General Motors announced a recall Wednesday of 3.46 million GM trucks and SUVs for a braking issue that has been linked to 113 accidents and 13 injuries.  The problem arises from a vacuum pump issue where the pump make less vacuum over time, thereby increasing the braking effort. The pump is lubricated by engine oil and can accumulate debris and oil sludge lessening the pump's effectiveness.
      The recall covered model years 2014 - 2018 of Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe, and GMC Sierra and Yukon.
      GM told the NHTSA that the pump design was only used during those years of manufacture.
      In a smaller recall, GM is recalling 177,000 2018 Chevrolet Malibus with the 1.5-liter Turbo engine where an error in the engine control computer could disable the fuel injectors.

1. lauren