Chevrolet's 2019 Blazer Might Not Be the Deal They Want You To Believe

Not much of a bargain to be seen here

Last month, Chevrolet announced the 2019 Blazer would begin at $29,995, undercutting the likes of Ford Edge and Nissan Murano. But Cars Direct has gone through the order guide and did some analysis. What they found out is that Blazer isn't as a good deal as Chevrolet is promoting to be.

Let's start with the base the Blazer L which begins at $29,995. CarsDirect believes this model "is likely intended mainly for advertising purposes." This is something we saw before when Buick launched the Regal TourX. The L model is also excluded from factory discounts. Most buyers will likely be pushed towards the 1LT which begins at $33,495 - $1,700 more expensive than the Murano S and $2,505 more expensive than the Edge SE. Both the Murano and Edge pack more powerful engines (Blazer uses a 2.5L four-cylinder with 193 hp and 188 lb-ft of torque) and have the option of AWD. The Blazer can only get AWD on 2LT models and above.

The 2LT begins at $34,495 and adds the 3.6L V6 engine - 305 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque. If you want AWD, be prepared to shell out an additional $2,700. Again, AWD is cheaper on the Murano ($1,600) and Edge ($1,950).

Another disappointment for the Blazer is how much you need to shell out for advanced driver assistance features. If you want adaptive cruise control and front collision warning, then first you need pay $41,795 for the RS and then add $3,575 for Enhanced Convenience and Driver Confidence II Package. If you want automatic emergency braking, then you'll need to step up to the top-line Premier at $43,895 and add the Driver Confidence Package II for an additional $2,165. AEB is standard on the Murano and Edge.

Based on this analysis, it does make the Blazer a bit of a tough sell. We'll have to see how things play out in the coming months.

Source: CarsDirect

This blows as I like the looks of the Blazer, but GM seems to think they can play in the luxo price tier and not really offer any value in their Chevy line. Someone seems to have lost track of what bracket Chevy plays in especially in relation to Buick, GMC and Cadillac not to mention the competition.

So it's priced comparably to the Explorer, Grand Cherokee, Durango, Highlander, etc.   Not sure if it offers anything better than those, esp. with a new Explorer and GC (NG is supposed to have a 3 row version available) coming..  is the Blazer going to be 2 and 3 row, or are they leaving the 3 row for the Traverse?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

7 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

My understanding is a 2 row CUV. I honestly think GM is going to have to discount them heavy to move as what is in the full story and what Will has posted here shows it to be uncompetitive.

New Santa Fe is priced better too for the most part.. cheapest base motor AWD is under 30K and includes active safety.

With that pricing, just get a three row and call it a day.  Probably much better resale value on a good three row as well.  My brother-in-law's Ascent is pretty nice and doesn't offer a chintzy base motor FWD option or require a top trim level to get active safety like it is 2015.

I know they're 3-rows, but the Highlander and Pilot both come with the active safety features at much lower prices.   On both, they are standard.... on the RAV4 they are standard, on the CR-V they're standard on the EX and above.  Ford Edge comes with Co-Pilot 360 standard. On the CX-9, it's a $1,290 option available on the base model.

With all of those heavy hitters on either side of the segment, it's odd that Chevy continues to choose to bring a knife to a gun-fight with under-equipped vehicles.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Want an AWD Blazer RS? It'll cost more than an Edge ST. 😂

Edge ST seems like a desirable package.  I would not mind test driving one.

....and yet I really like the looks of the Blazer. Hope GM is able to sell this one in enough quantity to make margins and keep it in production.

1 hour ago, Guest AtLeast3CharactersLong said:

And it’s ugly to boot.

Actually I find it attractive.

25 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Edge ST seems like a desirable package.  I would not mind test driving one.

Oh I think it'll sell okay. It's basically a re-body of the XT5 and Acadia, so they don't need to sell it in huge numbers.

I'm just getting frustrated with GM's insistance on packaging their vehicles this way.  I want the extra safety equipment, particularly active cruise-control.  GM is pushing me towards Honda and Toyota as a customer.

I'm just getting frustrated with GM's insistence on packaging their vehicles this way.  I want the extra safety equipment, particularly active cruise-control.  GM is pushing me towards Honda and Toyota as a customer.

I totally agree as for the first time in my life, I might actually buy non-american and it is their own fault for shitting packaging of features and cost.

Other issues persist but yes...I am with you.

I can see myself buying another FCA product..another Jeep, maybe a Challenger, Charger or 300.  Probably a CPO.   But other marques I'll probably look at in the future would include Mazda and Volvo...

24 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The Challenger is aging fast (just had a rental), but the 300 is still on my radar.

I totally agree as for the first time in my life, I might actually buy non-american and it is their own fault for $h!ting packaging of features and cost.

Who's offering a full-size EV CUV?

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

No one yet, but I bet Mercedes will be the first...

LOL if you think dfelt will drive a Mercedes.

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

No one yet, but I bet Mercedes will be the first...

Volvo is probably the closest today.  The XC90 PHEV can run in pure EV mode already

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

LOL if you think dfelt will drive a Mercedes.

I don't think he will, but I bet M-B will be there first..they have their compact EV SUV coming, bigger ones are probably in the works..

I think it will be a little bit yet before there is a 3-row full size SUV that's pure EV. I think they'd want to get the volume vehicles first but that's just what my brain says.. It doesn't have any form of statistics or studies in front of it.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

How is a 3-row SUV not a volume vehicle?

How is a 3-row SUV not a volume vehicle?

Which sells more, 100k luxury 3 row SUVs or mainstream compact CUVs?

Who's offering a full-size EV CUV?

As @Cubical-aka-Moltar stated no one yet, but I fit in the Bolt. The wife wants an EV that she likes. If the iPace or EQC covers her list of requirements, I very well could buy one.

EVs have far more space inside than ICE. I might be fine in a mid size CUV EV.

Wow, talk about wandering off topic and into irrelevant territory... this thread is lost in the woods

I don't need nannies.  I can drive, thanks.  Don't give a hoot about automatic braking and all the other crap.  I am interested in hardware that delivers.

My problem with the Blazer is that RS < ST for the price.  Big time.

Once Build & Price is up, I am going to spec a 2LT with AWD, V6 and big black wheels to see if it suits.  RS is and has always been a trim package at Chevy... only meaningful thing RS and Premiere offer is the better AWD system, as far as I can tell with prelim specs.

GM needs to get out of this rut of lofty MSRP v. competition.  It seems they're pricing everything to ensure a 20% off sale every damn month.  Whacked.

3 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Maybe that is their strategy...advertising 'sale prices' and perception of getting a deal gets butts in the showroom...

The Blazer pricing strategy, to me, is pure and simple "bait and switch", one of the oldest con games in industry.

Wow.  So all the desirable features are in the higher-end, pricier trims.  This is pathetic.  The Blazer needs about a $5000 discount off the top right now. . . or at least ditch the base model and have all other trims come down by at least $3000. . . . or they could improve the value and keep the price by replacing that turbo four with the V6.  Trucks aside, why does Chevy think it can wade into Buick pricing?!

33 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Quoted for absolute truth.

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

My problem with the Blazer is that RS < ST for the price.  Big time.

The ST us an apoealing SUV. Still luke the Blazer styling better though.

What a waste...might as well get a Tahoe then...

Welp, this one is getting rebated....

EVs have far more space inside than ICE. I might be fine in a mid size CUV EV.

Do they though?

Tesla 3 interior

BMW 3 interior

Bolt interior volume: 94 cubic ft.

HR-V interior volume 100 cubic ft.

Profit margins are there

Well I know that.. That's why they sell them in the first place.

But if they're trying to get the technology out to people it just feels like something that would start smaller with much larger volumes before a much larger 3-rower.

13 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

GM with their fckn Kohls sales model. 😂

Not sure I understand the logic of FWD proliferation on these vehicles. The whole idea of SUVs is to give you the option of AWD. That's find, don't make it standard. But even the most basic Honda CR-V offers AWD as an option. It's not just the packaging that's the problem (forcing you to get a higher dollar model just to get the surety of AWD) but dealers are as guilty as can be stocking SO MANY FWD models. It was very frustrating when we were looking for our 2018 Traverse. GM and the dealer network are equipping these like they're run of the mill station wagons!

3 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I can see the FWD models being the bigger sellers in the SunBelt...places like Florida, Texas, AZ...

Yeah if I lived somewhere that got zero inches of snow I wouldn't want AWD either. Getting snow I would just feel like a huge jackass getting stuck in an SUV.

We have a lot of such jack-asses around me. AWD and bald tires.

My Issue with the Blazer is that it doesn't feel very "off-roady".  I'm fine with the idea of a sports SUV like the Edge ST or QX70, but the Blazer conjures an image of an off-road SUV like a Grand Cherokee or Bronco.

I'm glad they didn't call it TrailBlazer.

We have a lot of such jack-asses around me. AWD and bald tires.

I'm glad they didn't call it TrailBlazer.

Yeah, personally I think they should have used the Blazer name on something with strong off-road creds...like an SUV version of the Colorado ZR2.

This one could have been named 'Camaro Cross' or 'Captiva'...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

We have a lot of such jack-asses around me. AWD and bald tires.

I'm glad they didn't call it TrailBlazer.

My god do I hate that people think AWD is some crazy miracle worker. It's great to have but it still needs to have adequate traction to the ground.

3 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I don't think it would be bad if they gave it some on-road nuts like an SS version or Z#####. Just a basic CUV seems pretty lame.. It seems like a good vehicle just a little boring.

24 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

This one could have been named 'Camaro Cross' or 'Captiva'...

Camcross.... Crossmaro..... Camtiva....XMaro.....  Murano.... no... wait....

TrailBlazer would be good to see on something w/ off-road chops...like a Colorado ZR2 based SUV.   Or a name like TrailBlaster Defecator Extreme for an over-the-top Hummer style SUV.

16 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

IIRC to defecate means to take a dump. Is that the Montezumas revenge edition for southern export south of the border only?

We have a lot of such jack-asses around me. AWD and bald tires.

I'm glad they didn't call it TrailBlazer.

Our Ohio Jack Asses are Jack Assier...lifted powerstrokes running bald tires and rolling coal.

Very few will ever be used off road.

7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Nah, I've always thought it would be a cool name for an  powerful off roader (or muscle car).   Or a metal band.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Rare footage of a lower trim Blazer.  Looks decent, I do like the looks of it.  I'd rather have a machined finish wheel though, instead of basic silver painted alloys.  Cameradude is sort of goofy.

Edited by ocnblu

Oh, this one, I'm guessing, is a Premiere, with the body color lower trim.  Looks good in gray over tan.

Edited by ocnblu

16 hours ago, ocnblu said:

@ocnblu Thank you for posting, this is great to see.

WTF is the name on the door so high up. Not liking that at all. Major rear blind spots, but then what CUV does not have them. Getting mixed on this. 🤔

• By David
      Lots of interesting stuff happening as GM by divisions starts to release more info on their EV programs.
      First is a interesting video on their Ultium batteries. This clearly shows how versatile they can build the battery packs.
      https://plants.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/bcportal.html/currentVideoId/6157651202001/currentChannelId/Most Recent.gsaOff.html
      Multiple-cell-configurations-within-Ultium-modules.mp4

They have released a video of a side profile of the new Chevrolet Bolt morphing into the Bolt EUV. I was able to download the video and as such, way more visual detail than on the posted web sites below are showing.
      chevrolet-bolt-euv-teaser-1598391287.mp4

Have to say the upcoming update to the Chevrolet Bolt and the EUV is nice looking and should sell even better than the old Bolt. Truly a much more CUV look.
      IHS Markit recently published their analysis on how long Americans are holding onto their vehicles. The average according to the firm stands at 11.9 years, the highest amount since they have been tracking this. Also, about one in four vehicles is over sixteen years old. We should note that this data came before COVID-19 started to wreak havoc on the U.S. IHS notes that new cars only made up 6.1 percent of vehicles in operation in 2019, down 0.8 percent when compared to high of 2016. This highlights falling new car sales.
      But the question lingering over automakers and analysts is will the pandemic cause sales to fall even further as more people hang on to their vehicles.
      "People are going to keep their vehicles because they don't know if they're going to be driving to work in the future, they don't know if they're going to be driving to work anytime soon even. If you're not accumulating the miles, you might keep that vehicle on the road a little longer," said Todd Campau, associate director of aftermarket solutions at IHS Markit.
      IHS estimates that new cars in operation could drop to 5% or less in the coming year or so. The firm also expects the age to climb upward in the coming years as owners consider whether or not to spend the hefty amount on a car, when their current vehicle is still quite good.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), CNBC

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), CNBC
      This week, Hagerty obtained a document from General Motors' executive director in charge of program management, Michelle Braun that says development on future car and truck programs has been paused due to the COVID-19 outbreak. But the document also mentions some intriguing information on upcoming powertrains for the C8 Corvette. Here are the details,
      Corvette Z06: 5.5L DOHC V8 known as the LT6 that will produce 650 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque. No mention of any type of forced-induction. Corvette Gran Sport: 6.2L OHC V8 with a hybrid system that's expected to produce 600 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque. Corvette ZR1: Twin-Turbo 5.5L DOHC V8, dubbed LT7. Output is expected to be 850 horsepower and 800 pound-feet. Corvette Zora: The powerhouse of the C8, it will take the Twin-Turbo LT7 and augment with a hybrid system. This is expected to produce 1,000 horsepower and 975 pound-feet of torque. Hagerty's report says the rollout of the new engines will begin in 2022 with the LT6, but the COVID-19 outbreak may push the plans back.
      Source: Hagerty