Create New...
    Drew Dowdell

GMC Acadia AT4 Gets Priced

...close to an SLT...

The GMC Acadia AT4 pricing has been released and it will start at $42,495, just $500 more than an SLT with all-wheel drive.  The next jump up is a big one, an astounding $7,000 more to get into an Acadia Denali.

The AT4 has some advantages over the SLT and Denali.  First, it comes with AWD standard, and second and most importantly, it comes with a much more powerful engine as standard.  Both the SLT and Denali get the 2.0-liter turbo 4-cylinder rated for 230 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. The AT4 however, gets the 310 horsepower 271 lb-ft V6. In addition to the extra hardware, the AT4 comes with black chrome on the grille, special wheels, and all-terrain tires.  The base model still has to suffer with a 2.5 liter naturally aspirated 4-cylinder making just 193 horsepower and 188 lb-ft of torque.

With the AT4 model being just a $500 increase over the SLT-1, and since it comes standard with the much more powerful V6, we thing GMC will sell a lot of the AT4 trim.

I'll probably get to try one out in October. I'm going on three test drive trips.

Test a big person sitting in the front and back please. :P

Chrome trim came out in 1926, if I recall correctly, and monochromatic treatments in the early 70s. I don’t think linking automotive aesthetic treatments to age generations holds much water.

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

Probably not to auto enthusiast that cover the whole auto industry history, but to the current kids to people in their 50's. Chromed out Blinged out auto's was a Baby Boomer thing.

From my 78 and 76 year old mom and dad to their friends, they all reference chrome as being their generation, the baby boomers. These are your average Joe's and as such do not see the history, just what they had as a focus point to their life and how younger people see it today.

Heck, so many 30 somethings to 50's refer to the Chromed out look as such a Baby Boomer thing. Clearly they do not see the history of the auto industry just that generation and that for the most part, the autos of that era were all chromed / Blinged out.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Bingo..it has nothing to do with Baby Boomers, been around long before that.  I like a tasteful use of chrome trim, instead of the current faddish black out treatments....too many white SUVs w/ black wheels and trim--when will that fad end?   Likewise with carbon fiber visible on anything but a race car...carbon fiber is hideous looking, IMO.   Along with the stupid matte finish wraps...another dumb fad of this era.   I associate the black out and matte finish looks with Millennials, but i realize the appeal of it spans generations.

I do like actual monochromatic (everything body color) trim treatments of the late 80s and 90s, but only in that context--wouldn't look good today, IMO.   Just like fins and wide whitewalls--only appropriate in the late 50s-early 60s.   Context-specific usage.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Keep in mind 78 and 76 aren't Baby Boomers--they are of the generation before that.  (Baby Boomers are 1946-1964).

Edited by Robert Hall

28 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Would you rather have an Acadia Denali?

I'd rather this but with anything that actually makes it even remotely more off-roady. AT tires can probably be fitted to a Denali.

It's probably just alternating generations because the youths will always want something different than their parents so it likely goes back and forth.

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Bingo..it has nothing to do with Baby Boomers, been around long before that.  I like a tasteful use chrome trim, instead of the current faddish black out treatments....too many white SUVs w/ black wheels and trim--when will that fad end?   Likewise with carbon fiber visible on anything but a race car...carbon fiber is hideous looking, IMO.   Along with the stupid matte finish wraps...another dumb fad of this era.   I associate the black out and matte finish looks with Millennials, but i realize it spans generations.

I actually have liked the Cadillac's that came OEM with Matte paint jobs, looked nice. I have also seen many various modern current autos with the monochromatic look and that is far better than the Denali chrome everything look to me.

Right, so my parents are at the tail end of the Silent Generation or Traditionalist and yet they associate themselves with the baby boomers.

Lucky you can have all the chrome you want, I will go black chrome which looks sharp or mono as my preference for an auto look.

...my parents are at the tail end of the Silent Generation or Traditionalist and yet they associate themselves with the baby boomers.

But… they're wrong.

Edited by balthazar

This is probably the only configuration I would buy of the Acadia.  Buying a denali and having to pay extra to get the V6, especially after a $7k markup just rubs me the wrong way. But $43k buys a nice Grand Cherokee and I'd rather have that over the GMC.

But $43k buys a nice Grand Cherokee and I'd rather have that over the GMC.

It would be very difficult not to buy a Grand Cherokee at this price/size range.

• Agree 3

$44k gets you a GC Trailhawk and that has a lot more off-road capability than an Acadia AT4.

• Agree 3

And a couple grand more you get V8 noises.

• Agree 2

In fairness to the Acadia vs the GC it has a third row seating for those that would need it occasionally.  I think the front end is an improvement and like the "blacked out" trim.

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I would never consider the Acadia or other GM CUVs because of the lowly FWD/transverse engine platform.  If they made a 2 row SUV on a proper platform I'd consider one.

Your next GC is going to be on the Giorgio platform.

Your next GC is going to be on the Giorgio platform.

Yes, which is fine; it is a RWD/longitudinal engine platform, not vile FWD/transverse.     Will be interesting to see how the 2021 turns out.   But I'm probably looking at getting a '19 or '20 Summit or Overland CPO for my next one...stick w/ WK2 for a while.

Edited by Robert Hall

• Latest News Toyota Will Take Over the Windy City, Chicago February 8th with 44 Autos. Spaciousness is what Toyota will give to the world with the first ever 2024 Grand Highlander and 44 other vehicles including the Crown Family. ---> Read More Toyota Crown Hybrid, the Stop Gap Product Till EVs The Toyota Crown while well-known across the Asian rim is the longest running product line from Japan and is now here as a stop gap measure in the U.S., Again. ---> Read More GM & Netflix Partner to Show Case EVs on TV General Motors and Netflix are joining forces to give electric vehicles (EVs) the stage they deserve. ---> Read More Infinitum All-in-one Electric Motors the Future of the Auto Industry? Infinitum is an electric motor designer that no one has heard of yet, but that is about to change with their All-in-one solution. ---> Read More Is Toyota Shooting Itself in the Foot in Regard to EVs? The Asahi Shimbun news organization is reporting that Toyota is joining the ranks of Hyundai, GM, Tesla, VW and other Auto OEMs with a dedicated EV platform, but with a BIG catch. ---> Read More GM Dumping Pouch EV Cells for Cylinder 4680 Cells Korean sources have learned that GM is dumping the Pouch for the Cylinder and not just any average one, but the 4680 spec that Tesla is pushing in their own EVs. ---> Read More Kia Chooses onsemi Silicon Carbide Power Module Traction Inverters for High Performance Electric Vehicles Kia starts production on performance EVs using industry leading Traction Inverters by onsemi for improved electrical handling. ---> Read More Click here to view our privacy policy CheersandGears.com - Established 2001  P.O. Box 17974, Pittsburgh, PA 15235 You can manage your subscription settings at the following link https://www.cheersandgears.com/settings/?area=newsletters
    • I remember those. They always seemed to be cream colored.  As far as FWD V8s, I prefer the STS of that era.    When I was living in Ann Arbor I had a friend that was an engineer at Ford working on the ‘98 facelifted model.  Got to ride in one one winter’s night in ‘97.     I remember going to the Detroit auto show in ‘95 and ‘96, 25 yr old me really wanted an STS.  I still like them.
    • Was never on my radar.  So much so, that I just did a double take on the title mentioning it had a V8.  I knew it was FWD, I never knew  right up to THIS moment it had a V8.  I just listened to the video to find out it was the moduler 4.6 V8.   You learn something new everyday.    The Towncar and the Mark VIII was what I liked from Lincoln then.  And both models were FONDLY liked.   But in 2023, I actually like it.  Too bad I was turned off by it then.   Reflecting back as to why that was...I couldnt tell ya.   PS: I never did, nor do I right now, equate the 1995 Continental with the Taurus.
    • Since it's been so cold I haven't done much work on it.  But last month I took the wheels off and dropped them off to have new tires fitted. Put the wheels back on today and repaired a positive battery cable that I had broken in the fall.  Today it moved under it's own power for the first time in probably years.  I took if it for a very short spin up the block and back.

• There are no registered users currently online

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search